The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 12 January 2017, 08:29 PM   #61
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

You do know that pretty much all 2012 watches were reserved within 5 hours of release, and countless others are waiting for someone to back out, right? I hate to break it to you, but given how successful this was, you can expect many more releases like this from not just Omega, but many other watch brands. You might as well flip your Seamasters now for one or two Rolexes, and swear off ever buying an Omega to save yourself some more grief down the road.

I do somewhat agree with you that they didn't need to come up with an "anniversary" to justify this watch. I could care less about most "anniversaries" that watches are meant to celebrate, so I just ignore them and judge the watch on its merits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchthefatkid View Post
Personally, I've lost a little bit of respect for Omega over this watch.

Omega have always been criticised for producing too many 'Special Editions' of the Speedmaster.

I've never previously had a problem with that as I've always felt that they were justified as they were generally to commemorate certain anniversaries of the space missions etc.

This watch however is something quite different.

What is it actually celebrating? The fact that a lot of people subscribe to a website??? WOW!

To me it smacks of 'Cashing in' or 'making a quick buck'

No disrespect to anyone that's ordered one, but to me the watch itself looks cheap - that thin brown strap looks nasty.

The fact that it can only be purchased online also makes it a bit 'Gimmicky' to me.

I'm sorry Omega but Rolex would never do such a thing.

It actually hurts me to write this post as I always previously loved Omega (I own 2 Sea masters) but this has taken the edge off a bit...
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2017, 10:35 PM   #62
Tk421
"TRF" Member

Watch: MoonSub
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
You do know that pretty much all 2012 watches were reserved within 5 hours of release, and countless others are waiting for someone to back out, right? I hate to break it to you, but given how successful this was, you can expect many more releases like this from not just Omega, but many other watch brands. You might as well flip your Seamasters now for one or two Rolexes, and swear off ever buying an Omega to save yourself some more grief down the road.

I do somewhat agree with you that they didn't need to come up with an "anniversary" to justify this watch. I could care less about most "anniversaries" that watches are meant to celebrate, so I just ignore them and judge the watch on its merits.

Agree.

I don't do #SpeedyTuesday, never have. But that is darn nice looking Speedy and thus I had to get it.

Some Rolex lovers are very conservative...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 01:55 AM   #63
Johnnyhayward
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Think it will suit being worn on a bracelet too.

Johnnyhayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:22 AM   #64
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I'm planning to put mine on a bracelet. It looks damn nice.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 05:41 AM   #65
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Number 1,439 here
Old 13 January 2017, 06:16 AM   #66
G-Web
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Moon
No brainer for me.
I think it's a fantastic looking watch that checks all the right boxes in the specs department. Say what you will about LE's, but this one is beautifully done.

Cheers,
-GW
G-Web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 06:21 AM   #67
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Personally, I've lost a little bit of respect for Omega over this watch.

It actually hurts me to write this post as I always previously loved Omega (I own 2 Sea masters) but this has taken the edge off a bit...
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....but there is a lot of firm reasoning behind this specific watch:

1) The history of Speedy Tuesday in the watch enthusiast community is not some small following.....they have comprehensive articles embraced by all Speedmaster fans and has helped to educate/cover many Speedmasters in the complex history of the line up. Any real Speedmaster fan is almost guaranteed to have read a couple of the articles at least one point or another.

2) The changes from a Speedy Pro on this watch are definitely nods to Speedmaster fans and what they clamor for.....subtle font differences, matte case, radial subdials, reverse panda etc.....these are what people been begging for observing the history/evolution of different Speedy models.

3) The Speed Tuesday articles from Fratello is like you say, based on online social media. That's why the distribution/marketing of this piece was specifically targeted as such. Even the timing was based in UK where the article originates.

I do agree with you I'm not a fan of constant limited editions....but I can't deny the latest limited editions have got more things right than wrong on the watches (Apollo 45th Snoopy, CK2998, SM300 Spectre etc) versus the ones in the past. I for one do not care for the aftermarket sale of this because I am a Speedmaster fan and the changes appeal to me and I understand where they pulled them from (makes me want it more). The only fault I can see with this whole ordeal was having no warning prior to release....only the guys @ Fratello and Omega insiders knew about this. None of the boutiques had any idea either.

One thing I do like about this distribution method and I think it could work well for Omega going forward would be the control of pricing deflation on their limited pieces. This method guarantees distribution via boutiques without the grey/ad discounts.

Seeing that you own 2 Seamasters....perhaps the Speedy isn't for you (nor the Speedy Tuesday articles for that matter I guess)......but the watch I think is a rock solid release.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:39 AM   #68
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
One thing I do like about this distribution method and I think it could work well for Omega going forward would be the control of pricing deflation on their limited pieces. This method guarantees distribution via boutiques without the grey/ad discounts.
I'm sure ADs are thrilled. Omega supplies them with a lot of watches that will never sell and then releases this which would actually sell well but doesn't give them access to it.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 07:39 AM   #69
jesperss
"TRF" Member

Love it.

Mostly that it doesn't come with that stupid huge box.
jesperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:10 AM   #70
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....but there is a lot of firm reasoning behind this specific watch:

1) The history of Speedy Tuesday in the watch enthusiast community is not some small following.....they have comprehensive articles embraced by all Speedmaster fans and has helped to educate/cover many Speedmasters in the complex history of the line up. Any real Speedmaster fan is almost guaranteed to have read a couple of the articles at least one point or another.

2) The changes from a Speedy Pro on this watch are definitely nods to Speedmaster fans and what they clamor for.....subtle font differences, matte case, radial subdials, reverse panda etc.....these are what people been begging for observing the history/evolution of different Speedy models.

3) The Speed Tuesday articles from Fratello is like you say, based on online social media. That's why the distribution/marketing of this piece was specifically targeted as such. Even the timing was based in UK where the article originates.

I do agree with you I'm not a fan of constant limited editions....but I can't deny the latest limited editions have got more things right than wrong on the watches (Apollo 45th Snoopy, CK2998, SM300 Spectre etc) versus the ones in the past. I for one do not care for the aftermarket sale of this because I am a Speedmaster fan and the changes appeal to me and I understand where they pulled them from (makes me want it more). The only fault I can see with this whole ordeal was having no warning prior to release....only the guys @ Fratello and Omega insiders knew about this. None of the boutiques had any idea either.

Seeing that you own 2 Seamasters....perhaps the Speedy isn't for you (nor the Speedy Tuesday articles for that matter I guess)......but the watch I think is a rock solid release.
I appreciate all the reasons you've described for Omega to think it a 'valid reason' to produce yet another LE Speedmaster but I just think in this instance they've somewhat dropped the ball.

They are supposed to be a luxury brand, but to me at least this whole 'internet only' sales idea has made it look cheap.

Part of the buying 'experience' of going to an AD and actually trying on the watch and seeing how it wears on the wrist and feeling the quality etc is totally gone. It seems very sterile.

Omega need to decide where they are going with this. They have spent the last 40 odd years dining out on the NASA connection and making sure everyone knows their watch was the first to be worn on the Moon and every LE version since has been space related.

This however is a total departure from that...what next, are they going to change the Speedmaster nickname from Moonwatch to Internetwatch?

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk
Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:36 AM   #71
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I appreciate all the reasons you've described for Omega to think it a 'valid reason' to produce yet another LE Speedmaster but I just think in this instance they've somewhat dropped the ball.

They are supposed to be a luxury brand, but to me at least this whole 'internet only' sales idea has made it look cheap.

Part of the buying 'experience' of going to an AD and actually trying on the watch and seeing how it wears on the wrist and feeling the quality etc is totally gone. It seems very sterile.

Omega need to decide where they are going with this. They have spent the last 40 odd years dining out on the NASA connection and making sure everyone knows their watch was the first to be worn on the Moon and every LE version since has been space related.

This however is a total departure from that...what next, are they going to change the Speedmaster nickname from Moonwatch to Internetwatch?

You seem to have missed the boat on this one.

A) The internet only distribution was a smart move and I fully expect the other top line brands to follow. It is a much more transparent and fair way of allotting limited edition pieces.

B) The AD is a dying, or at least shrinking business. Very coveted models are being distributed by brand-boutiques only so the watch maker can control price, margins, buying experience, etc. Meanwhile ADs are forced to distribute the mass-produced stuff while margins are narrowing and rents are going up.

C) Internet doesn't have to "sterile", it can also be about social/community. This is what this edition celebrate - the #SpeedyTuesday movement. If you are not part of that community, don't use Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. Then this watch is not for you.

D) I'd be the first one to agree with you that Omega has way too many limited edition watches, especially when it comes to the Speedmaster series, but this particular one I really like, and I think it was a very smart move. I think a lot of the other brands are taking notice.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:50 AM   #72
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
IMO opinion it's another bad attempt at creating false scarcity and hype (read Daytona-C, limited edition speedmasters, PP nautilus, etc.)

I would have wanted one, I think it looks cool. But, oh, there are not available anymore? Sorry Omega, some other, more decent brand will get my hard earned money.

The Swiss watch industry seems not to notice or care the crisis they are in. They should start treating their customers better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:51 AM   #73
Punchthefatkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
You seem to have missed the boat on this one.

A) The internet only distribution was a smart move and I fully expect the other top line brands to follow. It is a much more transparent and fair way of allotting limited edition pieces.

B) The AD is a dying, or at least shrinking business. Very coveted models are being distributed by brand-boutiques only so the watch maker can control price, margins, buying experience, etc. Meanwhile ADs are forced to distribute the mass-produced stuff while margins are narrowing and rents are going up.

C) Internet doesn't have to "sterile", it can also be about social/community. This is what this edition celebrate - the #SpeedyTuesday movement. If you are not part of that community, don't use Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. Then this watch is not for you.

D) I'd be the first one to agree with you that Omega has way too many limited edition watches, especially when it comes to the Speedmaster series, but this particular one I really like, and I think it was a very smart move. I think a lot of the other brands are taking notice.
I'll be convinced when Patek Philippe release an internet only LE...

Punchthefatkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 10:51 AM   #74
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I really like it. How much will they be?

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 11:04 AM   #75
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
I really like it. How much will they be?
$6500 is the msrp.
Old 13 January 2017, 11:43 AM   #76
koz123
"TRF" Member

Wow! On the bracelet!
Old 13 January 2017, 11:50 AM   #77
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I would love one! Unfortunately, it is all spoken for.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 02:28 PM   #78
sarir97
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & Rolex
I have #0566, but the price is steep and I'm seriously bummed that it doesn't come with a bracelet. I can be convinced to part ways with it, if anyone's interested.
sarir97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 04:24 PM   #79
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
IMO opinion it's another bad attempt at creating false scarcity...
At just over 2000 pieces, I'd say the scarcity is real.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 06:16 PM   #80
Shichinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubCND/Speedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploradori View Post
IMO opinion it's another bad attempt at creating false scarcity and hype (read Daytona-C, limited edition speedmasters, PP nautilus, etc.)

I would have wanted one, I think it looks cool. But, oh, there are not available anymore? Sorry Omega, some other, more decent brand will get my hard earned money.

The Swiss watch industry seems not to notice or care the crisis they are in. They should start treating their customers better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No offense but what is the point of making a limited edition watch, if at one point they would not be available anymore? Daytona-C and PP Nautilus watches are not limited. You just need some patience and money to reach them.
Shichinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 08:21 PM   #81
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
I for one doesnt mind the many limited editions. There is the reason for limited quantity, in which the chances of me sitting right next to someone owning the same watch is almost nil. Same cannot be said with popular models such as a sub or daytona. Just the other day, i was in a gathering. 3 dudes wear the same daytona. Yikes.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 04:51 AM   #82
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Eagerly anticipating taking advantage of the scarcity.
Old 14 January 2017, 08:27 AM   #83
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Eh I tried for a half hour and no luck. Only 1 for my AD so far but they are hopeful for a second since they will be attending baselworld. Fingers crossed for me.
Long time reader, first time poster as I'm joining from the Omega Forums side.

How was your AD able to get one? As far as I know they would've needed to go through the same reservation system as a regular customer and pay the same price... are they already planning on selling it for above the price MSRP?
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 08:44 AM   #84
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
Long time reader, first time poster as I'm joining from the Omega Forums side.

How was your AD able to get one? As far as I know they would've needed to go through the same reservation system as a regular customer and pay the same price... are they already planning on selling it for above the price MSRP?
Your understanding is correct. I have a terrific relationship with 2 boutiques local to me that I frequent/buy watches/jewelry from.....this release is confirmed by them to be online only in reservation.....none of the employees (except a couple managers that got a hint but didn't know exactly) knew anything about this thing prior to release. Doesn't matter if you have VIP status @ the boutiques as of now in terms of obtaining one without reservation online. Best hope @ this point is to join the waiting list and see the ones pop up that don't get paid when the time comes this summer.
Old 14 January 2017, 08:57 AM   #85
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Your understanding is correct. I have a terrific relationship with 2 boutiques local to me that I frequent/buy watches/jewelry from.....this release is confirmed by them to be online only in reservation.....none of the employees (except a couple managers that got a hint but didn't know exactly) knew anything about this thing prior to release. Doesn't matter if you have VIP status @ the boutiques as of now in terms of obtaining one without reservation online. Best hope @ this point is to join the waiting list and see the ones pop up that don't get paid when the time comes this summer.
Appreciate the response. I was one of the few West Coasters that was able to reserve one on day one of the reservation period. Pretty stoked on that.

I'm more or less curious to see how Omega would react if an AD reserved one and then flipped it to a customer above a particular amount. At the point they would become "the grey market" which always a touchy point amongst AD and OBs. I presume they don't care but from a PR perspective, may not look so good?
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2017, 10:40 AM   #86
X JBM X
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: dealer's choice
i woke up tuesday morning and though... nahhh... then changed my mind and by the time i did, they were all spoken for. now i'm on a waiting list.

if i get one, great. if not, i have several other speedies that will suffice for the moment.
Old 14 January 2017, 02:55 PM   #87
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Not a big fan of most Omega LEs and to be perfectly honest, the idea of a LE based on a social media trend is incredibly gimmicky, but.... BUT!!... I really like the look of this watch. Very cool vintage vibe.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 10:45 AM   #88
josephvman
Banned

It looks like now you can put yourself on a waitlist for the watch, which I did. I'm hoping that those who've reserved already will be asked to either put a signifiant deposit or pay in full for their watch if they really want one. This seems like it would thin out the reservations a bit and hopefully give those who really want one a shot at it, as I suspect there's pretty large percentage of those who reserved the watch strictly to flip for a profit. Forcing buyers to pay in full up-front might cause some of the speculators to bail out.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2017, 09:18 PM   #89
eulkumen
"TRF" Member

Hello. I recently acquired a CK 2998. Agreed with the all LE stuff!

But i just love the look of #speedytuesday LE. So I am no.1651 :-)
eulkumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2017, 07:12 AM   #90
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Great looking watch!