The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: If it was your one and only Rolex, which would you buy (price taken into account)?
Submariner (No Date) 114060 32 17.98%
Submariner (With Date) 116610LN 63 35.39%
GMT Master II 116710BLNR 66 37.08%
GMT Master II 116710LN 17 9.55%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 June 2017, 05:02 AM   #1
debner4
"TRF" Member

Buying first Rolex-- help needed!

I am looking to buy my first Rolex!

The purpose of this watch would be as my one watch to take on beach vacations, as well as to wear locally (Southern California) to go swimming or to the beach. Also, a watch to wear during kids baseball games, etc., where Patek 5712/1A is a little too delicate.

So, obviously, the submariners are of interest, but I also like the GMT function (and don't currently have one) as I often travel for vacation outside of my timezone, so the GMT would be useful even if I plan to wear it in the ocean or pool (I don't dive, so no need for beyond 100M waterproof), but obviously, the polished center links is a potential issue based on my intended use; but I do think it is more versatile to wear at dinner since I only take one watch on vacations? However, I don't really use a 24 hour clock ever, so converting the GMT from 24 hour time to 12 hour time will probably take just as long as doing the math in my head to determine the second timezone.

I'm down to the two subs (date and no date) and two steel GMTs. I've tried them all on, and like them all, and I really don't like one over the other, although I am leaning toward two in particular (but don't want to taint the poll so I won't say which two).

Also, I plan on this being my one and only Rolex.

Would really like opinions between the GMT and Subs, and then if either, which one for what reasons. Thanks in advance!

I currently own:
Patek Phillipe 5712/1A
Patek Phillipe 5035g
Jaeger-LeCoutre Master Moon (steel)
Panerai 359
Bell & Ross BR-01
debner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:07 AM   #2
BiH115
"TRF" Member

Watch: your mouth!
Nice collection!

I've got a few divers so my first Rolex naturally ended up being the GMT (BLNR). My reasoning was that it's a very versatile piece for my needs. I travel, and when I do, it's to a location that has a beach of some sort. This checks a few boxes for me, as the multi-time zone function comes into play, as well as the GMT's ability to dress-down (beach/water, swimming and some diving is just fine), or dress up (PCL's wise - walk around town, nice restaurant, etc.).

Checking the time is easy too, just set your GMT hand to home-time, and then pull out the crown when you arrive, set your hour hand appropriately, and you've got two time zones ready for viewing.

However, if all of that is take it/leave it for you, you've really only got the choice of a diver with no date, or one with (which is just personal preference).
BiH115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:10 AM   #3
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
It seems pretty clear to me that you are leaning towards one of the subs. I suspect you'll hear a lot of responses that you should go with what sings to you personally. The sub and the gmt do have similarities but are aesthetically different enough to say that they have a different wrist presence. I prefer the simpler bezel on the subs myself. There is a cost component here that could guide you. If that doesn't matter and you feel neutral between the two I would go gmt for the useful complication (24-hr time isn't that difficult). Whichever you choose - Beware that it is common for one to become two and more (so I hear)...wear it in good health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:20 AM   #4
SubmarinerSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C date
Love my Sub. Can't see that you can go wrong with any of these !
SubmarinerSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:41 AM   #5
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
Sub with date - great first rolex. On the 6 digit subs date all the way, 5 digit, no date!

Good luck.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:51 AM   #6
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I voted sub date. I like having the date for convenience sake, and the cyclops vs no cyclops aesthetics, was never an issue for me. I've owned all of those pieces and the SubC has always been the keeper. (I don't need either complication...GMT or SUB) I think it's just the bezel and pcl's on the GMT that keeps me from wearing it as a....goes with anything...does anything...never worry about it....watch. The bezel just doesn't strike my eyes quite like the sub. There's absolutely no wrong choices out of your picks....all are fantastic! Very much personal preference. Good luck :)
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 05:54 AM   #7
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
If you really are equally thinking about any of the 4 and need a slight push, I vote for the Sub with date. The brushed center links are worry free compared to PCL and the glidelock is better than the easylink in the GMT.
I have 2 GMTs and 2 Subs, one a 5 digit. The newer sub is the easiest for me to find an ideal fit.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:03 AM   #8
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
As a first, get the Sub because of the glidelock clasp
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:06 AM   #9
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

This is an easy decision. The sub date will suit all of your needs perfectly as it is the one of the most versatile pieces that Rolex offers. Not only that, but it is widely considered to be the icon of horology. You definitely want the date because it is immensely useful and better value than the no date sub. I also think it looks better than the ND.

As for the GMTs, they're great pieces but as a first Rolex and perhaps a one and only Rolex for some time, the sub is much more fitting. The polished centre links show scratches quickly and to buy it for it's GMT complication is a bad reason since the majority of the time you'll be wearing it, you won't actually make use of the function (what I'm saying is that you should not buy it only because you think the complication is 'a handy thing to have' but rather because you think the watch looks good).

Buy the sub date. You will not regret it.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:16 AM   #10
nvrp813
"TRF" Member

I have the BLNR, SubC, and 16600 SD. My favorite of the bunch is my SD as I like the case shape better than SubC.

I know it's not in your selection pool but I would strongly consider a SD (either 116600 or 126600).

Here's mine and I feel it's very versatile.

nvrp813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 06:16 AM   #11
drm20

Watch: Just one more
116610LN all the way!
drm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:18 AM   #12
debner4
"TRF" Member

Eliminated Sea-Dweller because I thought size is too big. I already have a Panerai in a larger size, and find the 40mm of the watches I included to be a better size for how I will wear this watch.
Old 15 June 2017, 07:22 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If you need a date piece its hard to go wrong with the 116610.
If you need a GMT complication Id go with the LN
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:25 AM   #14
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
I voted BLNR, but remembered the pain of setting the date if the GMT is part of a rotation where it might sit for a few days unused. If that applies to you, go with the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
Also, I plan on this being my one and only Rolex.
Didn't we all!

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:35 AM   #15
debner4
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=faz;7682015]I voted BLNR, but remembered the pain of setting the date if the GMT is part of a rotation where it might sit for a few days unused. If that applies to you, go with the sub.

Wouldn't the sub with the date have the same issue? So did you mean go with the sub without date, or is the date setting function easier on the sub than the GMT?
Old 15 June 2017, 07:52 AM   #16
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
100% Sub Date 116610LN

Great all-arounder, modern features such as bracelet/clasp. Date is a must on a one and only IMO and a Cyclops is a must if you only own 1 Rolex, strong Rolex heritage/iconic features.

BLNR is nice, but I wouldn't pick PCLs for a one and only, and the blue/black while nice is not quite traditional enough for a one and only.

*Wildcard is a SS Pepsi with calibre 3186
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:56 AM   #17
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I own a Sub and a GMT. I also travel, and I never use the GMT function. What's the point? I can easily subtract or add a few hours to determine the time back home.

Get the Sub Date.

It's the most versatile and battle tested, not to mention a total ICONIC piece. Every collection needs one.

Don't get me wrong, I like GMTs, but I would take a Sub over it. The BLNR is a great second piece, but not the best watch for a one watch collection.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 07:57 AM   #18
Jaycnyp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Addict
114060 all day everyday for me!, BLNR is second!
Jaycnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 08:02 AM   #19
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I voted BLNR. I own BLNR, Sub no date, Explorer II polar and DJ2 in blue. My fave is the polar. Among your choices, I find the BLNR best. Looks like a Sub, but a little more interest with some color.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 08:10 AM   #20
toneafficianado

BLNR is my pick because I have one and used to have a Sub c TT.
BLNR is not quite as tall as the Sub so better with a suit or any cuffs.
Also it has Triplock crown so is just as good as a Sub for swimming [as opposed to deep sea diving where the Sub has a higher rating and that's why it's thicker anyway.]
I also prefer the way the bezel turns in both directions and has less increments so it's very easy to time anything you need it to eg cooking or parking times, how long you've been exercising etc. i use mine for all these things.
The Easylink is perfect IMO and can be adjusted without looking plus the clasp is way shorter than the Glidelock.
The GMT function is something I actually use as opposed to the "remaining air" function of the Sub.
It's the perfect single Rolex in a collection! And it ain't ugly either.
If price is the issue go for the LN which looks more like a SubC anyway.
Can't wait to se what you choose particularly with that incredible collection you already have.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 08:16 AM   #21
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
I picked BLNR because it is just a cool watch and dressy yet casual. Though the non-date Sub would be a close second too. Cannot really go wrong with any of the choices though.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 08:23 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

No date... live dangerously, who cares what day it is. :)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 08:32 AM   #23
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by debner4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
I voted BLNR, but remembered the pain of setting the date if the GMT is part of a rotation where it might sit for a few days unused. If that applies to you, go with the sub.

Wouldn't the sub with the date have the same issue? So did you mean go with the sub without date, or is the date setting function easier on the sub than the GMT?
Sub has quick set date, in the traditional form.
BLNR (GMT II) doesn't have it. You have to pull the crown, advance the hour hand (quick setting hour hand) 24 hours to advance the date. If you are off by 5 days, that is quite a few clicks! If off by 15 days, forget it!!!

If the watch is spending most of its time running, or on a winder, my recommendation would definitely be the BLNR from your list. It is a beautiful watch, very much similar looking to a Sub to general public, and the shade of blue on the ceramic is simply beautiful, different color in different lighting conditions.

But Sub is very popular (for 10 years or so was my only watch), and you can't go wrong with either. You don't have two tone on your list, if you did, I would recommend the bluesy (biased) in a heartbeat over BLNR.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 08:38 AM   #24
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
GMT LN is as versatile as any and potentially more useful with ability to track two (even three) time zones.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:24 AM   #25
Iloreyix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub-C
You have an absolutely amazing collection, but you don't have the Rolex quintessential iconic original - the Sub No-Date.
It's simple, elegant, iconic but without the date - individualistic.
It's built like a tank and no date to have to set, and - still has the gridlock that the GMTs won't.
Seems a no brainer to me.
Love your collection for sure!
Iloreyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:24 AM   #26
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Sub Date.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:37 AM   #27
Macjockey
"TRF" Member

BLNR for me, literally. Bought one a few days ago.
Macjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:42 AM   #28
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Submariner date. Black or Green. Classic versatile piece, glide lock, brushed bracelet. Can't go wrong.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2017, 10:48 AM   #29
debner4
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloreyix View Post
You have an absolutely amazing collection, but you don't have the Rolex quintessential iconic original - the Sub No-Date.
It's simple, elegant, iconic but without the date - individualistic.
It's built like a tank and no date to have to set, and - still has the gridlock that the GMTs won't.
Seems a no brainer to me.
Love your collection for sure!

Thanks! I definitely like how a sub no date fits in my lineup given it's clean lines and I also like it being a little more under the radar than the date version (which all of the other three have). I also like having a watch that has a date function, but not sure how important that is to me on vacation...
Old 15 June 2017, 10:54 AM   #30
antoflo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII, Sub
Go with a sub because every collection needs a Sub. Simple as that.
Try the no date, date and green and grab the one you prefer :)

Last edited by antoflo; 15 June 2017 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typo
antoflo is offline   Reply With Quote