The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 July 2017, 07:51 AM   #1
donoman
"TRF" Member

Another pawnshop Datejust

A friend who manages a pawnshop 45 miles away asked me about this one. I guess I need to learn more if they're going to start asking me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 08:15 AM   #2
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Another pawnshop Datejust

That's gonna be an early one, with those hands and Swiss only (and it's an underline) dial. The bracelet is a mishmash of parts (none correct to the original watch, but maybe all original Rolex). The clasp blades are for an oval link bracelet, the links are d-link, can't see the clasp to know.

Edit to add: I wish my local pawn shops would call me to look at vintage Rolexes.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2017, 08:52 AM   #3
donoman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
That's gonna be an early one, with those hands and Swiss only (and it's an underline) dial. The bracelet is a mishmash of parts (none correct to the original watch, but maybe all original Rolex). The clasp blades are for an oval link bracelet, the links are d-link, can't see the clasp to know.

Edit to add: I wish my local pawn shops would call me to look at vintage Rolexes.

His computer is telling him to price it at 3000 but he is starting to figure out that it is wrong in major ways. How do you value just a head for this Rolex?

Old 27 July 2017, 08:31 AM   #4
donoman
"TRF" Member

Case is marked 1604. Case back is 1601. Movement is 1560 and there is maybe a serial number 47051.

Old 27 July 2017, 02:59 PM   #5
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Your serial is missing a few numbers, I'm afraid. And I think the model number on the case says 1601 with a random scratch probably giving the last 1 the appearance of a 4.

Taking everything into account, being the hand style, a 1560 movement, Swiss only underline dial, and the 1964 date on the caseback, it's probably a well-worn early 1960's DJ 1601.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 05:47 PM   #6
tamiya
"TRF" Member

1604 could be ok for a two tone?

1500series calibre.

S/no should be 6digits afaik.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2017, 05:54 PM   #7
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Early 1601 imho

Old 28 July 2017, 07:02 AM   #8
donoman
"TRF" Member

Well they won't go below $2500 right now. They paid 1100 and the big boss says they can't take less. Thanks for all the information!

Old 28 July 2017, 07:18 AM   #9
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I'm not familiar with 1604. The band is obviously not correct = should be 2 tone, oval link.

The serial number is on the case between the lugs. The number on the movement is somewhat irrelevant. Should be around 700,000 (assuming the watch is from 1961 or so - based on the underline dial). However, since the case back is dated 1964, then serial should be around 1,000,000.

Movement is 1560 - correct for the case. The rotor could have been a butterfly style originally.

Case is in very poor condition, bezel looks to be very worn. Hands are awesome.

I don't think this watch is worth more than $1,600
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 07:28 AM   #10
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I sincerely believe that $2500 is a lot to ask for this particular example. It's early, it's got nice hands, but it is very ordinary and heavily worn and polished. For that price, you can do better. I got a 14k 6605 about a year ago for that price, that's earlier and PM. Try to figure out what you like most about this watch, then look for better examples with those features (like TT, or early hands, or champagne dial, or polished/coin edge bezel).
Old 28 July 2017, 07:37 AM   #11
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
I sincerely believe that $2500 is a lot to ask for this particular example. It's early, it's got nice hands, but it is very ordinary and heavily worn and polished. For that price, you can do better. I got a 14k 6605 about a year ago for that price, that's earlier and PM. Try to figure out what you like most about this watch, then look for better examples with those features (like TT, or early hands, or champagne dial, or polished/coin edge bezel).
I don't think OP wants to buy it but rather help us price it for a pawnshop.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 07:40 AM   #12
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
I agree... It is going to take a lot of $ to get it serviced and cleaned up (new crystal and/or bezel). Depending on the shape of it, the bracelet may need sorting out as well.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2017, 09:28 AM   #13
donoman
"TRF" Member

I really thought about buying it if the price was good enough but now I'll pass. He contacted me knowing I might buy it but he is limited in what he can do. I don't normally wear a watch that small (36)but I for sure can't afford a larger Rolex! I appreciate all the info!

Old 30 July 2017, 12:52 AM   #14
adam78
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure how heavily worn this is, or just less than ideal photos in poor lighting.

It's definitely a ref. 1601 (2-tones were the same ref.), as southtexas said, a random scratch on the "1" makes it kindofsortof look like a "4", but not really.

2500 is probably too much for a head-only of this model. Figure in for a good service, too!