The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 26 August 2017, 12:25 AM   #91
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
You have to hire two big dudes for an hour just to sell a watch these days. One of them has to be a big black guy named Ben, the other a short Italian guy named Tony "Eight Toes". Ben stands next to the door and looks like Lawrence Taylor waiting for the snap on a blitz call, and Tony's hand never moves from his inside coat pocket as he sits nearby.

Make sure you introduce Ben and Tony to the potential buyer when he first sits down. If the buyer asks about where the nickname "Eight Toes" comes from, just reassure him Tony's definitely got all ten of his toes.

socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 01:55 AM   #92
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6xdx View Post
AJSM not sure what you are talking about. Nobody ever said or expected Starbucks employees to help. Not sure where that came from. Only help I needed was them to call the police. And they refused to do that even after the robbers left. My cell phone was dead and I had to go to the car to charge before I called Police.
Just going by the last line of your initial post and then others jumped on and started bashing. My wife has worked for them for 15ish years and they treat her amazing. Im not sure of the policy on personal property being stolen inside the store.... I do know if you go to the district manager with a police report you might be able to get video.
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 04:04 AM   #93
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
You have to hire two big dudes for an hour just to sell a watch these days. One of them has to be a big black guy named Ben, the other a short Italian guy named Tony "Eight Toes". Ben stands next to the door and looks like Lawrence Taylor waiting for the snap on a blitz call, and Tony's hand never moves from his inside coat pocket as he sits nearby.

Make sure you introduce Ben and Tony to the potential buyer when he first sits down. If the buyer asks about where the nickname "Eight Toes" comes from, just reassure him Tony's definitely got all ten of his toes.
You know what's funny? That's basically how my experience with the AP dealer in Las Vegas went a couple years ago! Big angry looking black guy in a suit standing in my peripheral vision while I was trying on a 15400
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 02:31 PM   #94
arinsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
First let me say I'm very sorry this happened to you and thank God you are safe.

As far as expecting anyone to do something other than be a good witness is all we can hope for. There's really too many variables at play when it comes to something like this. Perhaps the thief was armed. Perhaps he was running outside to a car with 2-3 more armed people. Perhaps he was willing to go all the way and really harm you or anyone who got in his way. Let's say he was on his 2nd strike in this 3 strike state of California and wasn't willing to go back to jail for 25 to life. I hope everyone is careful out there and again I'm thankful you're safe.

Feel free to disagree with me about getting involved but I'm speaking with 10 years on the job as a law enforcement officer.
arinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2017, 05:28 PM   #95
Doood
"TRF" Member

Truly bummed reading this. Maybe it worked out for the best that you were unable to catch him. I would bet the perp had a weapon or at least one of his crew did. Glad you're ok.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2017, 11:23 PM   #96
Beowulf
"TRF" Member

Jeez, I was considering a face-to-face sale some time ago and thought about these scenarios (even if meeting at my home or the buyer's). I dismissed them as being "too paranoid". Guess it happens.

The idea of meeting at an AD or bank isn't bad. Many have dual doors, which makes it pretty impossible to just grab something and run away quickly. Plus cameras.

It wouldn't be a bad place to trade (plus the buyer gets to hear comments from the staff if you show them the watch to confirm it is genuine) but I suspect most AD/staff wouldn't find very funny that you're going there and taking up space just to sell a used watch. Zero incentives for them.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2017, 11:32 PM   #97
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Jeez, I was considering a face-to-face sale some time ago and thought about these scenarios (even if meeting at my home or the buyer's). I dismissed them as being "too paranoid". Guess it happens.

The idea of meeting at an AD or bank isn't bad. Many have dual doors, which makes it pretty impossible to just grab something and run away quickly. Plus cameras.

It wouldn't be a bad place to trade (plus the buyer gets to hear comments from the staff if you show them the watch to confirm it is genuine) but I suspect most AD/staff wouldn't find very funny that you're going there and taking up space just to sell a used watch. Zero incentives for them.
Yes. Please don't do this.

Use an AD for your used Rolex transactions.

Rude. It is not your public venue to safely make a deal. Please, no.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2017, 11:55 PM   #98
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
I've met buyers at my local AD to verify the authenticity of the watches I'm selling. They always oblige with a complimentary external inspection but thereafter will tell us to conclude our business outside of their premises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 August 2017, 12:01 AM   #99
lopez784
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
For some reason people always suggest meeting at Starbucks, I assume because there are a lot of them, they're open late, and they always have people... personally I always meet a bank... police stations are also allowing themselves to be used as safe meet up points for CL and Offerup transactions.... I can't imagine too many people at Starbucks being willing to wrestle down a thief for a stranger... especially around LA where everyone is pretty much in their own world... I recently heard of another guy robbed the same way and told him to post here on TRF... this was his CL post... might be the same guy... email him if it is as he appears to have the guys name and info!!

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/wan/6264635254.html
EXCELLENT ADVICE! You know they will not meet at a bank if their intentions are to steal, there are so many cameras. Plus, the hipster wussies at Starbucks probably consider themselves too civilized to act. I remember when beards were worn by real men.
lopez784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 12:57 AM   #100
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
The one and only time that I did a face to face was actually with a member of this forum. You can imagine the buyers surprise when he came in and I was sitting next to my buddy Tim, who was a police officer, now retired. The meet was coordinated when Tim could take his lunch break.
He thought we were stupid for spending so much on watches. Probably right.
Sunny Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2017, 10:22 PM   #101
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I'd would have someone one with me. But then I doubt I'd ever do a face to face unless it was a smoking deal, even then.. I think we can do it at the police station, actually we can and even better for me since most of my buddies in uniform would be in the lobby lol
Old 30 August 2017, 10:41 PM   #102
Rolex_Luther07
"TRF" Member

If you have a dog, bring it next time. I have a coonhound/German Shepard mix that could catch a gazelle with a jet pack on. Sorry to hear that happened, I would keep an eye out for CL postings for Navitimers in the area - however this guy might try to sell it to a pawn shop or AD in the area so file a police report and alert as many jewelers/ADs in the area as you can. If you see it in a pawn shop you can probably alert the police if you filed a report, and if you have pics with any identifying qualities I'm sure it would help.
Rolex_Luther07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2017, 03:41 PM   #103
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez784 View Post
EXCELLENT ADVICE! You know they will not meet at a bank if their intentions are to steal, there are so many cameras. Plus, the hipster wussies at Starbucks probably consider themselves too civilized to act. I remember when beards were worn by real men.
I Agree, lol.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 11:13 AM   #104
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

by entering the number 951-287-6227 the person that comes up is under the name Fermin Quoros. Picture is of a Hispanic male. Phone could've been stolen too.
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2017, 02:02 PM   #105
Star Ferry
Banned

I feel for the OP. The thieves knew from experience that a Starbucks was a good place for the crime. They also have the benefit of surprise -- so by the time OP realized what had happened, they already had a major head start on him

I guess banks and police stations are the only places to sell F2F
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 06:25 AM   #106
Audguy
"TRF" Member

thats terrible you should get a friend to try set him up again and have the police waiting for him to do a runner
Audguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 01:58 AM   #107
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

No police officer would ever agree to this. They do not look at something like this as top priority.
Richard6xdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 02:03 AM   #108
AJSM
2024 Pledge Member

Exactly !!!!

Use an AD for your used Rolex transactions.

Rude. It is not your public venue to safely make a deal. Please, no.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^

Exactly!
AJSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 07:50 AM   #109
RoyalOac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard6xdx View Post
Believe me I tried . This guy was really fast. I made a last minute stretch/ Jump and grabbed a piece of his shirt. Unfortunately it was not enough. I have been researching and found this and contacted the person that the watch was stolen from. The African American in the picture (ATL hat) seems to be the guy that stole my watch.
see link
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...264635254.html
Found the goon in this CL ad...

https://www.facebook.com/yg.brandon.1/friends?pnref=lhc

look through his friends list, maybe that fool will show up...
Rolex Submariner 126613 LB
Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15300ST
RoyalOac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 03:13 PM   #110
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Sorry to hear about your troubles. It is absolutely sickening what these low lives are doing. I was recently a victim so I completely relate. I too live in OC and know the location you had this happen at. I am learning more and more to never trust anyone. But how are you supposed to buy or sell anything safely?! I suppose on the members posted to utilize a police station. I doubt anyone is dumb enough to try anything there. But you never know. I am glad you are ok. It's not worth it, if these guys in the car had a gun, things could have turned out much worse. So you did the right thing.
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 04:09 AM   #111
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

CL Ad

yes, i saw that as well. They do not know if it is related to my robbery yet.
Most likely it is .
Old 15 September 2017, 04:10 AM   #112
Richard6xdx
"TRF" Member

Ad

He put his account on private after he saw the ad .
Old 16 September 2017, 05:57 PM   #113
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I hope they catch his ass and throw him in jail (after you get your watch back of course)
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 05:30 AM   #114
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Its hard to set up a F2F without substantial personal risk. As said a bank may be the best place. But if the deal does not go through you are an easy target once you leave the bank with your unsold but soon to be stolen watch.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 06:13 AM   #115
Goin2drt
Banned

Sorry to read this and close to home as well. Sad this is the world we live in. Anything of value I always do at my credit union that also happens to be right next to the police station. When you mention this it instantly changes things some times. I have had the deal done and then when I give the address, they all of a sudden do not want the item.

I am really glad you are ok. Many moons ago a co-worker was seriously injured chasing a thief that stole a bottle of liquor. He did catch him and then was proceeded to be stabbed. The watch really isn't worth it but I also get instinct just kicking in and you think nothing but I am going to get the watch back.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 06:42 AM   #116
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Sorry to hear this, but always best to meet at your Bank with security twin doors and also to pay the notes straight in so you know they are real too before handing over the watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 06:43 AM   #117
offtodd72
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that, that sucks
offtodd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 06:46 AM   #118
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Its hard to set up a F2F without substantial personal risk. As said a bank may be the best place. But if the deal does not go through you are an easy target once you leave the bank with your unsold but soon to be stolen watch.
Yes, one must be vigilante on leaving and indeed on entering the bank if they know what you look like. If possible leave the watch in a safety deposit box and tell the failed buyer you will do so.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 06:49 AM   #119
jcr847
Banned

Haven't read the whole thread but was it insured? That should be easy to have covered as theft, IMHO. It's much harder to get it covered when you're dealing with wire fraud type cases.
jcr847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 07:05 AM   #120
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
Important thing is that you did not get hurt. And good thing you stop when you saw 3 other guys because who knows if they have a knife or a gun.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote