The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 September 2017, 03:14 AM   #1
tamdotcom
"TRF" Member

Tiffany & Co. Rolex Big Red Daytona 6263

Hi everyone,

Although it is an incredible story (one that I don't have time to type out) as to how I came upon this piece, I will cut to the chase.

I recently came upon a Big Red Daytona ref. 6263 branded Tiffany & Co. It was worn only a little while and then stored it away in its box for the past 40 years. I have been a longtime fan of Rolex, but have never actually owned one--so this is my first. Despite never actually taking the plunge on a Rolex, I did know enough to know that it resembled a "Big Red" Daytona ref. 6263. It took me a few seconds to even notice that it was co-branded "Tiffany & Co."

So, here I am, making my first post on TRF, asking this knowledgeable community to help me with any info I may need to know about this watch's history, its value, what I need to do about restoration/parts (it's missing a pusher), establishing provenance, etc.

I have attached a picture. Thank you so much for everyone's time and help. It is greatly appreciated!

tamdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 10:17 AM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

The photo is broken...I hope your watch isn't

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 11:17 AM   #3
tamdotcom
"TRF" Member

I'm sorry, old photo host. Updated. Hope this works out a little better! Thanks again, everyone!

Old 6 September 2017, 01:41 PM   #4
Nunez. Jacob
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
The photo is broken...I hope your watch isn't
hahahahahha
Nunez. Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 05:20 PM   #5
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Simply Amazing find if all is correct .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 05:46 PM   #6
ever
"TRF" Member

mmmmm! more pics, caliber, into lugs, back case. etc
ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2017, 05:59 PM   #7
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I'm not an expert on Tiffany-buffers but from that pic it looks good. If you bought it and didn't pay a ton in premium it could very well be authentic. The watch itself looks good.

I am sure you could approach dealers/auction houses/collectors for a swift advice. Value is probably close to six figures or more if the Tiffany-text is correct. Normally anyone would want papers to believe it but unfortunately it is not always possible.

Contact LAWW, Bob and Phillip Ridley or any other well-known service center to get the pusher fixed. Be careful if you go to Rolex as they might do more work than you want and crush the value.

Edit: If you are in the Bay Area; go see Los Angeles Watch Works. They are good and they are also affiliated with Eric Ku who is a most knowledgable world-class dealer. He can tell you if it is good or not.
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:31 AM   #8
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
LA is a bit of a haul from the Bay Area. Locally, I'd recommend you reach out to Jacek at HQ Milton in San Francisco. He'll give you the straight scoop on this.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:39 AM   #9
tamdotcom
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for your input so far! Everyone has been so helpful and kind. I have no question about its authenticity but understand the importance of getting an expert to confirm it, especially in the absence of papers. I have since taken it to a few third parties to be sure and they all have confirmed, without a doubt, it is authentic and an exceptional piece. Currently sorting through all of the helpful messages. Unfortunately, I'm going to be busy today with family matters but I will be checking back in as often as possible. Again, can't thank everyone enough for the helpful bits of info and advice so far!
Old 7 September 2017, 12:52 AM   #10
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I'd like to hear the story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 01:29 AM   #11
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Beautiful! Let's see more photos, including of the case sides. The case looks fat. And what's the beginning of the serial number?

Co-branded dials are always tricky if you don't have the original paperwork to prove provenance. But the watch itself looks great, with what appears to be an MK3 bezel and an MK3 pusher, from the early '80s on, assuming it wasn't replaced at a service at some point. All tritium dots look intact with matching patina on the hands. Fantastic find!

Do you mind sharing what you paid, roughly? Your story is intriguing, as if you bought it from someone who didn't know what they had.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 01:51 AM   #12
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
The Rolex Chronograph 6263 have risen in price greatly in the past few years. A few months ago it was announced that Paul Newman's own Rolex Daytona (Paul Newman dial off course) will be sold at auction in New York in late October. Auction speculators are estimating hammer price in excess of ten million dollars!! That being said your watch is not worth millions, but if the watch is all original (including be retailed by Tiffany & Co) potential value is very significant.

Last edited by vintagewatch; 7 September 2017 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: add pictures
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 01:51 AM   #13
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

I'm fascinated by the story, as well as the watch. I'd love to hear how it was aquired, and see some detailed pics.
Old 7 September 2017, 01:58 AM   #14
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Lucky guy if the only thing he needs to replace are pushers being mk3. Why does this kind of barn find/gifting I hear never happen to me lol. Would love to hear the story as well.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 04:00 AM   #15
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Very cool watch, but without paperwork most will assume the dial simply had the Tiffany text added - as has happened very many times.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 04:09 AM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
I'm fascinated by the story, as well as the watch. I'd love to hear how it was aquired, and see some detailed pics.
Ditto!
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 04:31 AM   #17
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
I've got my chocolate milk and some graham crackers ready... It's STORY TIME!!!

Oh, and more photos please.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 04:45 AM   #18
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Very cool watch, but without paperwork most will assume the dial simply had the Tiffany text added - as has happened very many times.
I'm sure there is no shortage of buyers who are willing to pay a significant premium for a Tiffany Rolex. With or without paperwork.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 07:39 AM   #19
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Love a better pic of the dial, lume plot at 3 o'clock looks missing but lovely still .
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 08:18 AM   #20
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
I'm sure there is no shortage of buyers who are willing to pay a significant premium for a Tiffany Rolex. With or without paperwork.
That would be supported by the huge number of altered watches.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 09:23 AM   #21
tamdotcom
"TRF" Member

I apologize for leaving you all hanging! I am currently still in the middle of family matters. But I will try to update when I get more time later tonight. But as far as how I got it, I inherited it from a relative (related to the family matters I am currently preoccupied with) so technically I didn't pay anything. I hope that helps! Thank you again, everyone!
Old 7 September 2017, 09:38 AM   #22
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdotcom View Post
I apologize for leaving you all hanging! I am currently still in the middle of family matters. But I will try to update when I get more time later tonight. But as far as how I got it, I inherited it from a relative (related to the family matters I am currently preoccupied with) so technically I didn't pay anything. I hope that helps! Thank you again, everyone!
Congrats again on the watch and making a lot of us jealous.

Looking forward to details later, family matters first!
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 12:03 PM   #23
Lol-x
Facilitator

The watch looks good to me....going by your photo...
The "Tiffany & Co" text looks correct, but close up inspection is required.
Its important to keep the watch in serviceable condition as the degradation of the lubricating oils can give rise to accelerated wear and tear.

Enjoy your very rare and desirable timepiece

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2017, 10:52 PM   #24
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdotcom View Post
Patiently waiting!!! Congrats on such a beauty.
Awaiting the story and more pictures.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 08:11 AM   #25
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Beautiful watch would love to hear the story
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 09:47 AM   #26
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Icon6 Far out

Inherited? I wanna know what the valuation was on estate list of asset inventory filing.
Old 8 September 2017, 12:14 PM   #27
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I'm sorry for your loss that resulted in the inheritance of such a remarkable watch. At this time I can say it has mis-matched end links and that should be easy to rectify. The overhaul will be costly but will result in a wonderful tribute to your loved one if everything inside the case is free of rust/corrosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2017, 03:26 PM   #28
chows99
"TRF" Member

Condolences to a loss of your family member. Hope you cherish and keep the watch. I am waiting keenly for your story though!
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 01:32 AM   #29
tamdotcom
"TRF" Member

Hi everyone, thank you for all of the supportive message and condolences during this difficult time. I apologize for leaving you all hanging for the last day or so, but I have a little bit of time this morning so I thought I would hop back on here and share the story:

As I mentioned before, my grandmother passed away early last week so I am in Southern California to help with whatever I can--taking care and keeping my grandfather company, cleaning his house, helping plan the service, etc. Earlier this week, my family was tasked with gathering all of my grandmother's possessions and figuring out estate-related matters. In short, my grandfather was going through the cathartic process of clearing out any of her possessions from their house and making sure it all went to family.

With that said, my grandfather, knowing that I was a fan of watches, was sitting with me and told me that, in doing all of this cleaning, he just remembered that his late wife gifted him a nice Rolex about 40 years for his birthday. If you knew my grandparents, this was absolutely hilarious because it summed up their relationship perfectly in a way. You see, my grandfather is not the type of guy that wears or buys anything fancy. He is very much a low-maintenance man. My grandmother, on the other hand, was the epitome of grace, class, and good taste--she absolutely adored the finer things in life. She was a woman of designers like Hermes, Fendi, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, and, of course, Tiffany & Co. Tiffany was her favorite. Back in the day, she loved strolling into the Tiffany store and buying little charms and other pieces and having them engraved to give to her friends and co-workers. That was the woman she was, she loved to give and make others happy. In fact, she spent so much time at Tiffany that I was told she even had an account with them! Anyway, my grandfather always wore a more, let's say "practical" watch. I guess it was only a matter of time before my grandmother wanted to get him a nice watch to replace it.

My grandfather says that day came about 40 years ago on his birthday. She handed him a Tiffany's box and when he opened it, it was this watch. He protested to owning a such a nice watch, but my grandmother insisted he keep it and wear it. And he did, to make her happy. In the coming year or so, he wore it to appease her as it gave her great joy to see him wearing it. But one day, he doesn't remember why, he took it off and stores it away in its box and forgot about it for the next 40 years. He's been wearing a "practical" watch ever since.

Fast forward to present day again, he said he was reminded of the watch after all of these years because of all of the cleaning, and said he wanted to get it and show me. He retrieved it from its place in his closet, where it had sat for the past four decades, and handed it to me. Here, I must confess, I thought it was going to be a Datejust or something. When I opened it up, I immediately saw it was a Daytona and told him that it was a nice watch! Then I saw it was a Big Red and told him it was a really nice watch! It took me a couple of seconds before I noticed the Tiffany & Co. on the dial and I knew it was special. Admittedly, I am by no means an expert, but I knew enough to tell him it was really rare, really valuable, and really cool! He was delighted at my reaction, and chuckled as he said he was glad it was "worth at least something." He then looked at me, smiled, and said he was giving it to me.

Words of love and gratitude were exchanged and that was that. That's the story. I sincerely hope it was worth the wait and that you all enjoyed it!
Old 9 September 2017, 01:47 AM   #30
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I'm sorry for your loss that resulted in the inheritance of such a remarkable watch. At this time I can say it has mis-matched end links and that should be easy to rectify. The overhaul will be costly but will result in a wonderful tribute to your loved one if everything inside the case is free of rust/corrosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How did you determine from the photo that the end links are wrong? They look the same as the 571 end links on my Daytona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona 6263 Sun - 1.jpg (289.2 KB, 524 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote