The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 September 2017, 02:54 AM   #31
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
?
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 06:35 AM   #32
tamdotcom
"TRF" Member

I tried posting the story earlier but it hasn't shown up. I'm thinking it's too long in length so I'll try splitting it up:

Hi everyone, thank you for all of the supportive messages and condolences during this difficult time. I apologize for leaving you all hanging for the last day or so, but I have a little bit of time this morning so I thought I would hop back on here and share the story:

As I mentioned before, my grandmother passed away early last week so I am in Southern California to help with whatever I can--taking care of my grandfather, keeping him company, cleaning his house, helping plan the service, etc. Earlier this week, my family was tasked with gathering all of my grandmother's possessions and figuring out estate-related matters. In short, my grandfather was going through the cathartic process of clearing out all of her possessions from their house and making sure it all went to family.
tamdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 08:41 AM   #33
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Brilliant!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 08:48 AM   #34
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Tiffany & Co. Rolex Big Red Daytona 6263

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
How did you determine from the photo that the end links are wrong? They look the same as the 571 end links on my Daytona.

The 6 o'clock endlink in the OP's picture is what I noticed - compare it to yours.

Perhaps better pictures would help more. But either way it is a wonderful find and easy to rectify. And if I'm wrong, more's the better for the OP.

Regardless, a full overhaul is in order. If the watch was only worn for one year as described in his recent post, the OP's bracelet should be like new...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2017, 03:01 PM   #35
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Wow, wonderful story!
My condolences to you. I am sure your grandmother would be happy to know that you will take care of that watch from now on!

Wear it in good health!
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 04:16 AM   #36
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Wow, pretty incredible! What a gift. If the 6263 wasn't good enough already, you have a Tiffany with a great story. Wear it and love it forever! i can see the Tiffany 6263 going for big dollars in the future.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 02:06 PM   #37
tamdotcom
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!
tamdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 06:59 AM   #38
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Thanks for posting the story sorry for your loss ..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2017, 07:44 AM   #39
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the story! So cool.

If it is in its box, are the papers there? Also, if your grandmother had an account at Tiffany, maybe they kept a record of her purchases? Maybe anyway...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 07:41 AM   #40
fosbibr
"TRF" Member

Very cool story and gift!
fosbibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 06:07 AM   #41
bazamu
"TRF" Member

Such a cool story and glad that it made your grandfather happy to pass it along. More pictures!
bazamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 07:47 AM   #42
descartes
"TRF" Member

Amazing piece and story. Wear it in good health.
Old 15 September 2017, 07:58 AM   #43
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Nice watch and story.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 01:55 AM   #44
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdotcom View Post
Hi everyone, thank you for all of the supportive message and condolences during this difficult time. I apologize for leaving you all hanging for the last day or so, but I have a little bit of time this morning so I thought I would hop back on here and share the story:

As I mentioned before, my grandmother passed away early last week so I am in Southern California to help with whatever I can--taking care and keeping my grandfather company, cleaning his house, helping plan the service, etc. Earlier this week, my family was tasked with gathering all of my grandmother's possessions and figuring out estate-related matters. In short, my grandfather was going through the cathartic process of clearing out any of her possessions from their house and making sure it all went to family.

With that said, my grandfather, knowing that I was a fan of watches, was sitting with me and told me that, in doing all of this cleaning, he just remembered that his late wife gifted him a nice Rolex about 40 years for his birthday. If you knew my grandparents, this was absolutely hilarious because it summed up their relationship perfectly in a way. You see, my grandfather is not the type of guy that wears or buys anything fancy. He is very much a low-maintenance man. My grandmother, on the other hand, was the epitome of grace, class, and good taste--she absolutely adored the finer things in life. She was a woman of designers like Hermes, Fendi, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, and, of course, Tiffany & Co. Tiffany was her favorite. Back in the day, she loved strolling into the Tiffany store and buying little charms and other pieces and having them engraved to give to her friends and co-workers. That was the woman she was, she loved to give and make others happy. In fact, she spent so much time at Tiffany that I was told she even had an account with them! Anyway, my grandfather always wore a more, let's say "practical" watch. I guess it was only a matter of time before my grandmother wanted to get him a nice watch to replace it.

My grandfather says that day came about 40 years ago on his birthday. She handed him a Tiffany's box and when he opened it, it was this watch. He protested to owning a such a nice watch, but my grandmother insisted he keep it and wear it. And he did, to make her happy. In the coming year or so, he wore it to appease her as it gave her great joy to see him wearing it. But one day, he doesn't remember why, he took it off and stores it away in its box and forgot about it for the next 40 years. He's been wearing a "practical" watch ever since.

Fast forward to present day again, he said he was reminded of the watch after all of these years because of all of the cleaning, and said he wanted to get it and show me. He retrieved it from its place in his closet, where it had sat for the past four decades, and handed it to me. Here, I must confess, I thought it was going to be a Datejust or something. When I opened it up, I immediately saw it was a Daytona and told him that it was a nice watch! Then I saw it was a Big Red and told him it was a really nice watch! It took me a couple of seconds before I noticed the Tiffany & Co. on the dial and I knew it was special. Admittedly, I am by no means an expert, but I knew enough to tell him it was really rare, really valuable, and really cool! He was delighted at my reaction, and chuckled as he said he was glad it was "worth at least something." He then looked at me, smiled, and said he was giving it to me.

Words of love and gratitude were exchanged and that was that. That's the story. I sincerely hope it was worth the wait and that you all enjoyed it!
Lovely story ,Thank you for sharing it with us Tam ,
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote