The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 September 2017, 04:04 AM   #1
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

New here, please advise on first Sub purchase!

I imagine there are lots of threads here like this, so apologies in advance and please bear with me! I've been a long time "lurker," but am finally joining the fray (lurker seems like a negative term- I've just read a lot of threads before deciding to join!)

My problem is simple: the no date Submariner is my grail and I'm saving for one as a second watch to my one and only Speedmaster. The issue is I truly feel Rolex has ruined its aesthetics with the new case designs. I can't bring myself to spend that much on a watch when I am unhappy about such an important aspect of it. It seems like the easy answer is to just get a used 14060. The thing is, a good used example is barely cheaper than a 114060 because, as is well known and argued over, Rolex watches retain value so well. I don't want to buy a
20+ year old watch, and it seems that to find one below 5500 that's what I have to do. But at 5500, I'm only a few hundred bucks away from a gently used 114060...you see where I'm going here?

Do I just accept the better bang for buck is to get the new ceramic version with all of its key upgrades despite my distaste for the square shape? Or am I just drinking the Rolex cool-aid if I do that? I do not have a lot of money and this is a once in a lifetime kind of purchase for me so I want to get it right.

All advice and opinions welcome! And thanks for having me.
JeanGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
I think that the upgrades such as Glidelock and the maxi-dial are well worth it. I really like the bigger case and chunky lugs on my SubC Date, and the bracelet as well as the improved readability are awesome. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:21 AM   #3
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
I'd get a gently admired and rarely worn ND Sub myself. There are normally some very reasonably priced ones on in the for sale section being sold by some Trusted TRF Sellers.

an optional Rolex might be a Explorer II as well.

Happy Hunting!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:30 AM   #4
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
When you're spending in the quoted price range, you might as well get what you want: the 14060 Submariner.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:36 AM   #5
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
When you're spending in the quoted price range, you might as well get what you want: the 14060 Submariner.
This is what I'm leaning towards, but to get one from, let's say 2005 or newer, I'd be paying close to $6k. There are plenty of mint 114060's for sale at that range too, so I feel like I should invest in the ceramic bezel, parachrom spring, and superior bracelet. It's a classic head vs heart issue. I do want to make a "practical" choice within the context of what we're talking about. (Yes, I know the objectively practical choice is a quartz seiko or something)
Old 17 September 2017, 09:44 AM   #6
Danwealth
"TRF" Member

Just buy a gently used 114060..if u dont like it afterwards, you can sell it and get your $ back..
Danwealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:47 AM   #7
Danwealth
"TRF" Member

It looks too boxy in pics but when worn it looks alright
Danwealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:11 AM   #8
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danwealth View Post
It looks too boxy in pics but when worn it looks alright
Nah, it wears boxy, too. Many, many people like that, so it's a matter of taste.

I bought the Sea-Dweller 116600 because it actually wears smaller than the current Sub and didn't have the cyclops. Even though it was considerably more.

BUT! Had I tried on a 14060 I would have waited and found one in good shape from DavidSW. Yes, the GlideLock is nice but the 14060 is, well . . . hard to describe. I may someday sell the SD and get one.

Remember, you can buy the 114060 and not be satisfied or spend almost the same money on a 14060 and love your watch. And if your tastes change you're not going to take much of a hit on the 14060.

Your call . . .

You really need to be, not seem to be.

El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:12 AM   #9
sutats
"TRF" Member

Hi and welcome to the forums. Try them both and then decide from there, the same principle applies to just about any piece of clothing or wearable accessory in life especially luxury goods.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:15 AM   #10
submariner66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
A sub is a sub they're both surprisingly very similar. The only thing that really catches my eye when I wear one is the ceramic bezel, especially if your wearing just work clothes let's say it kinda sticks out some. Why not get a Tudor black bay ?
submariner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:15 AM   #11
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Get the 114060, as you mentioned you'll have all the benefits of the 6 digits Rolex watches. When I tried on the 114060 and the 116610 I liked the no date version because it looked smaller on the wrist. I know that sounds strange because the only difference is the date and cyclops, but it really did.
I ended up buying the SD4K because I wantted to have a date but not the cyclops. If youhaven't allready, please try the 114060 on and see how it looks and feels on your wrist.
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:17 AM   #12
Welcome
"TRF" Member

I adore .Uc Sub C no date. Get one!
Welcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:24 AM   #13
L.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanGenie View Post
I imagine there are lots of threads here like this, so apologies in advance and please bear with me! I've been a long time "lurker," but am finally joining the fray (lurker seems like a negative term- I've just read a lot of threads before deciding to join!)

My problem is simple: the no date Submariner is my grail and I'm saving for one as a second watch to my one and only Speedmaster. The issue is I truly feel Rolex has ruined its aesthetics with the new case designs. I can't bring myself to spend that much on a watch when I am unhappy about such an important aspect of it. It seems like the easy answer is to just get a used 14060. The thing is, a good used example is barely cheaper than a 114060 because, as is well known and argued over, Rolex watches retain value so well. I don't want to buy a
20+ year old watch, and it seems that to find one below 5500 that's what I have to do. But at 5500, I'm only a few hundred bucks away from a gently used 114060...you see where I'm going here?

Do I just accept the better bang for buck is to get the new ceramic version with all of its key upgrades despite my distaste for the square shape? Or am I just drinking the Rolex cool-aid if I do that? I do not have a lot of money and this is a once in a lifetime kind of purchase for me so I want to get it right.

All advice and opinions welcome! And thanks for having me.
Welcome Jean !!! Lurker is not negative in my book

I've owned almost all the 5 and 6 digits Rolex divers in SS.

And I love both generations.

Today, I have a SubC LV and a SD 116600.

But...I see exactly where you are going, precisely because every time I am thinking of getting a nice 14060m (had the 2 and 4 liners in the past) and I start looking, I get exactly where you find yourself : the price level of the 5 digits does not favour the purchase compared to the new gen.

As for the Super Case, squarish look,etc...you name it
You will get used to it and love it as much as I do now...and I am not the only one with that experience here (you said you've been lurking...so you read lots of threads )

The more I wear and enjoy my 6 digits Divers, the more respect I have for the brand. IMHO Rolex really succeeded in the challenge to produce a whole new generation of divers without ever renouncing its heritage...The Submariner DNA is still there...That's why it has never ceased to be the Icon and the absolute reference for divers watches IMO

And together with the new design, you will certainly appreciate the maxi dial, bezel action, best ss diver bracelet ever IMO...a really particular exuding build quality second to none IMO.

Of course, the 5 digits has its charm too, like I said, I love both gens....but IMO and for my money, it is hard (at least for me) to go for the older gen...at the price level it has reached today...when you can get a brand new/or Minty 114060 for the same amount of money.

My 2cts
"Eternity is a long time...Especially towards the end"
Woody Allen.
L.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:31 AM   #14
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Get what you really want. Which isn't the SubC by the sound of it. A minty 14060 should be easy to find. They arent made of chocolate after all - Go and get one! Nice choice by the way.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 11:21 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Buying the wrong but cheaper watch will end up costing you more. Choose the right one for you, the heart's choice, then worry about the price and saving up.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 11:24 AM   #16
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Wow guys! Love these thoughtful responses. I appreciate everything you are all saying. Those of you who mention it, you're right that the 114060 doesn't feel as boxy in real life as it looks in pics... BUT, it lacks the charm of the classic case shape I love. If I could afford a true vintage piece, that'd be another story.

I tried on a 14060 from 1992, and I new 114060 in the Pentagon City Tourneau the other day. Obviously, because it's Tourneau, the price difference was like $300 and I was like WTF guys. However, it definitely allowed me to A/B them and highlighted the differences. With all that said, I think that I can love the watch for the same reasons even in the bigger case.
Old 17 September 2017, 11:24 AM   #17
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Double post
Old 17 September 2017, 01:02 PM   #18
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Some of the earlier sub models had quite a boxy shape too.
I own a subc and love the lug shape. To me it gives a very rugged, tool-like look to the watch.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 01:43 PM   #19
veritas011
"TRF" Member

Just me but I'd go with a newer style clasp and non hallow links,.
veritas011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 05:15 PM   #20
OldOak
"TRF" Member

I had a similar thought process. But I learnt the hard way!! Got the new, flipped, got 14060m, then bought a sub C date and now sold the old!!
The new for me is so much more of a watch, fits me better, and the bracelet is amazing. Also unless the older has been serviced I prefer the idea of a new movement. Just my 2p!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OldOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 05:30 PM   #21
hchj
"TRF" Member

I have both the 5 and 6 digits submariners. The 6 digits models are definitely more dressy and eye catching on the wrist. Rolex wants it that way and lots of Rolex buyers like it that way. I don't mind it either. Plus, i feel the 6 digits models are a bit more comfortable on my wrist despite its bloated proportion.
On the other hand, the 5 digits wear smaller and look subtler on the wrist.
Since the price difference isn't much, if I were you, I would let wrist comfort and appearance decide which way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 06:14 PM   #22
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
How about waiting till BaselWorld 2018? Rolex might surprise us with a new Sub...who knows?
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 06:25 PM   #23
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
Interesting question and I understand your dilemma. Like you for many years I could not like the super cased models and I thought they were too blocky. I much preferred the 5 digit Subs. Then when I saw the no date ceramic Sub I fell in love and bought it. The truth of the matter is that the super case looks much better on the wrist then it does in photographs where the disparity between the case and bracelet seems to be emphasised. On the wrist the effect is more harmonious and, yes, the watch has greater presence on my 6.5 wrist than the 5 digit reference, but it's not overwhelming or vulgar. The ceramic bezel is beautiful and the glidelock clasp is a great feature.

I think the difference in movements is neither here nor there. The 5 digit references have a tried and tested movement that won't let you down. The 6 digit reference is basically the same movement with an anti magnetic parachrom hair spring. No big deal, really.

Having said all of that the 5 digit references are things of beauty as well. They are slimmer but overall, on the wrist, the profile is similar. It's the ceramic bezel that makes the real difference on the 6 digit reference.

I like and can appreciate both. Only you can answer the question of which you prefer. Try as many watches on as you can and go with your gut instinct.
Old 17 September 2017, 06:37 PM   #24
chuckblocker
"TRF" Member

I have a 16610. Not a fan of the maxi dial and wider case. I like the aluminium aswel. The gidelock clasp is the only thing i'd want from the current sub :D
chuckblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 07:15 PM   #25
Spoonage

I have both a SubC and a vintage Tudor Sub. I like both and both wear comfortable to me. I can tell the difference in how they look on the wrist. Completely different animals to me, especially that my Tudor has a super dome on it. I think you need to try both on back to back and see which feels better to you regardless of the price. At the end of the day spending a few hundred to get the new clasp, etc. isn't worth it if you're not going to be happy with the watch.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 07:19 PM   #26
Cru Jones

Go for what makes you most happy....you're spending a lot of money either way.

For me, it would be a 114060 (glidelock, bracelet, movement, maxi dial, ceramic insert, lume... and wider & more robust lugs) or a vintage Sub without WG surrounds (pure charm...).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 08:31 PM   #27
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Go for what makes you most happy....you're spending a lot of money either way.

For me, it would be a 114060 (glidelock, bracelet, movement, maxi dial, ceramic insert, lume... and wider & more robust lugs) or a vintage Sub without WG surrounds (pure charm...).
Actually, the Black Bay, with its nice matte look and lack of crown guard has tempted me sorely. It's very subtle- just not sure I can handle the snowflake. And once I start down this path of thinking, I begin to wonder if there is ANY modern Rolex for me. Only other one I'd consider is the Explorer I.

It's a good thing I don't have the cash yet!
Old 17 September 2017, 08:41 PM   #28
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Actually, the Black Bay, with its nice matte look and lack of crown guard has tempted me sorely. It's very subtle- just not sure I can handle the snowflake. And once I start down this path of thinking, I begin to wonder if there is ANY modern Rolex for me. Only other one I'd consider is the Explorer I.

It's a good thing I don't have the cash yet!
A few folks here prefer the Black Bay to the Sub, myself included.

The snowflake hour hand is a functional design from the 1960s that was created in collaboration with French navy divers to be more legible underwater than the dinky mercedes hand, which was not originally desiged for dive watches.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:42 PM   #29
JeanGenie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
A few folks here prefer the Black Bay to the Sub, myself included.

The snowflake hour hand is a functional design from the 1960s that was created in collaboration with French navy divers to be more legible underwater than the dinky mercedes hand, which was not originally desiged for dive watches.
That's a cool piece of info. Next question for you: is the new version with the in house movement too thick at 14.5mm or whatever it is?
Old 17 September 2017, 10:03 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
That's a cool piece of info. Next question for you: is the new version with the in house movement too thick at 14.5mm or whatever it is?
The ETA and new do feel quite a bit thicker than the Subs due to their design so you best try them on. If you don't like the supercase then I suspect this will be an issue for you too. I owned an ETA and really enjoyed it, but its comparative thickness was my main issue with it.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suggestions , wwyd