The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 September 2017, 03:02 PM   #1
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Flipping watches

How do u guys flip higher end Pateks or expensive watches in general? I've dealt with shipping out 5-10-20k watches but what about stuff 50-100k? I'd imagine working with a trusted seller or shop to consign but don't know how the easiest way to do it. Anyway any help would be appreciated or a PM. Thanks
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 10:09 PM   #2
rfatm3f
"TRF" Member

I'd work with a trusted seller or high end AD that also does a pre owned business. You'll take home less money but the peace of mind is probably worth it.
rfatm3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 10:43 PM   #3
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Or you could post it up here and demand a face to face transaction. What's a few hundred bucks for air fare to deliver a watch when talking $100k. A banker as a reference in such situation wouldn't be a bad idea either. Most people that can afford ultra high end pieces aren't very sketchy when business dealings are being done. A simple wire transfer now days only takes a few minutes so getting scammed by the buyer is also less risky.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2017, 11:48 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
25k is about the most expensive I've sold, or owned for that matter.

I would be inclined to see if any primo sellers offer consignment. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
Old 20 September 2017, 02:39 AM   #5
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I've heard of trusted sellers flying out to deliver special (100k+) pieces to the buyer in person. Consignment would make sense for the other way around, but the shipping would give me a headache.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2017, 02:42 AM   #6
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If you were in Europe I have a great guy, you say your price he takes 7%. I only deal with him, tried to sell on my own a few years ago, too much headache, he has a website and brick and mortar, very honest and reliable guy...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 10:30 AM   #7
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Unless your reputation is well known, it is virtually impossible to sell high end watches yourself. People just aren't going to buy from a seller they do not know. 100K is lot of money to hand over to a perfect stranger with no real recourse. Bottom line is high end watches need to be auctioned, sold to watch dealers or sold by the dealers on consignment. You will get way less money than the advertised prices of used watch dealers if you cannot sell it solely by yourself. Auctions work only for rare items which can run up in value, for the regular stuff the fees eat you up. You can look at going to meet and swaps, but you take risk traveling with high end stuff and still have the credibility issues. Moral of this story is to only buy what you will wear and truly love, otherwise, its a losing proposition if you need to flip early on.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:15 PM   #8
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
ParcelPro and wire..
Old 22 September 2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
50k+ I would want to do it in person.

There are only a couple dealers I would wire that kind of money too but most likely I would fly out to pick it up in person. $500 round trip for a 100k watch sounds right.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 03:51 AM   #10
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
At that range you should really do a face to face. Wire in person. Spare a day or two of traveling but that’s best way
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2017, 06:23 AM   #11
Alford78
"TRF" Member

I still look at it as more of a business deal when speaking $100k+ and the majority of people in a position to own/buy such pieces are easily capable of having bankers/accountants/jewelers/etc... back up both parties. We are talking super wealthy people in almost every sense when owning these personal items. If a buyer truly wants a $100k watch that is in great condition and is hard to find in such condition then he will provide all the references/info needed in order to show the seller he isn't a scammer. And the person selling should be able to to the same or the watch being sold would be looked at as a scam itself. This level of collecting is just totally different IMO.
Old 27 September 2017, 06:27 AM   #12
Alford78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
At that range you should really do a face to face. Wire in person. Spare a day or two of traveling but that’s best way
Edit. I thought the above said, "At what range...". But will leave reply as it's still relevant.

I have no issues trusting a couple of people on here with any amount of money but that is because of the big posture. They can be sued over one watch transaction that will ultimately shut down their lifelong business. That includes a brick and mortar business as well.

Now as far as trusting FedEx to get that package to my door by noon the next day I honestly have only had $45k shipped at once. That was nerve racking enough that I think my next higher purchase will need multiple insurance policies or fly to pick up in person.

But I'm sure everyone has their own set limits and ways of doing transactions.
Old 27 September 2017, 12:29 PM   #13
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

yeah if i were a buyer i wouldn’t get it from some schmo on TRF. that’s why i’ll probably use a trusted seller to consign it. more than likely i’ll just keep it. thanks for the input.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 06:55 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
50k+ I would want to do it in person.

There are only a couple dealers I would wire that kind of money too but most likely I would fly out to pick it up in person. $500 round trip for a 100k watch sounds right.
And you pay the local sales tax when you pick it up and have to travel with it and all the boxes and papers.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2017, 11:05 AM   #15
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

I've done a handful of transactions in the $50k-$60k range and in each case it was in person, in cash, inside a bank. I am not comfortable with shipping, either sending or receiving and I'm not comfortable with wires, PayPal or any other method of payment aside from cash.

On the selling side I don't see the point in giving up anything to a dealer, unless for some reason they can secure a higher net payment to me.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 10:04 AM   #16
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
I've heard of trusted sellers flying out to deliver special (100k+) pieces to the buyer in person. Consignment would make sense for the other way around, but the shipping would give me a headache.
+1 I know a couple that will fly in to meet on larger transactions but when they are already trusted shipping works just fine. Plenty of trustworthy folks on here to do business with at any dollar amount from my personal experience.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 10:09 AM   #17
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
[QUOTE=GB-man;7914061]25k is about the most expensive I've sold, or owned for that matter.

I see we as members are not doing our part enabling you to spend more.. We will step it up, maybe it's just a slump...

socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 10:19 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
[QUOTE=socalwatchcollector;7962985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
25k is about the most expensive I've sold, or owned for that matter.

I see we as members are not doing our part enabling you to spend more.. We will step it up, maybe it's just a slump...

please no! I don't need any help.
Old 12 October 2017, 10:35 PM   #19
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Ship double boxed and use a third-party insurer such as https://www.unishippers.com/index.html
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote