The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2014, 12:36 PM   #61
rgilbert24
"TRF" Member

I must concur that the average Breitling is just as well made as an average Rolex. You have to shop wisely for a breitling though if you want to resell it for anything close to what you paid for it. But that is the same for almost all brands under the $10,000 mark except Rolex. .
rgilbert24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 06:25 AM   #62
andpassport
"TRF" Member

Because it is not a very reliable or high quality watch.
andpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2014, 02:13 PM   #63
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilbert24 View Post
I must concur that the average Breitling is just as well made as an average Rolex. You have to shop wisely for a breitling though if you want to resell it for anything close to what you paid for it. But that is the same for almost all brands under the $10,000 mark except Rolex. .
My buddy jumped into the lake off my boat today. His crown was not screwed in. I saw him fumbling with it . when he climbed back on the boat his watch filled with water. for a watch that has a water resistance of 5000 ft its a shame breitling did not install an extra O ring for better protection of a common mistake that people will make. Im pretty sure a Sub would not leak with the crown pulled out.
Old 18 May 2014, 03:32 PM   #64
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
You have to buy well to not lose you arse. That said I love my Aerospace. It gets a LOT of wrist time.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 12:03 AM   #65
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
Quote:
Originally Posted by andpassport View Post
Uneducated statement
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 02:37 AM   #66
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andpassport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Uneducated statement
+1 If they are so poorly made, I don't understand why so many pilots (including military pilots) wear them.

I think the main reason they don't get the same level of love that other mainstream brands like Rolex and Omega get is the styling. You either like it or you don't. It's very unique and not for all tastes.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 19 May 2014, 03:45 AM   #67
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I took a loss on both of the Cartiers I sold (Pasha and Roadster). The dealer I sold them to said, unless you have a rare one, they have poor resale value. There are other brands in the same boat. Nice looking watches, but poor resale value. Just a fact.

Now i'll stick to Rolex, Patek, AP, etc.

If you like your Breitlings, keep them. Otherwise, eat the loss and move on. In a year you won't remember it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 07:05 AM   #68
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMatrix View Post
Hi All, new to the forum as I am in the market for a Rolex. I have been primarily a Breitling guy for years and currently have a SuperOcean 44 and a SuperOcean Chrono. I have been hounding everyone with a Sub or a GMT for sale and no one is interested in a trade plus cash. I know this is primarily a Rolex site, but there seems to be a lot of other luxury watch brands they are willing to trade for. Why not Breitling?
I used to be a superocean guy... had 2. Sold both for my first sub. My breitlings all went down in value where my sub when up. We could say its the in-house movement or the connection with Bond... but whatever it is... Rolex has a very tight and loyal market where the breitlings just don't. Once you unload the Lings and get your Sub, you will never turn back! Trust me... i love breitlings but i've never been able to hold on to one long term...

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2014, 11:16 PM   #69
Brad737
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II
I'm a pilot, and I've tried to love Breitlings. The reason so many pilots wear them is because Breitling gives HELLACIOUS discounts for very small runs with commemorative dials. The first cost me something like $900 for a $2200-ish retail watch. I've owned 3 altogether, a Navitimer, a Blue Angel, and an Aerospace.

Navitimers are for guys who want to advertise they're pilots...typically private pilots. In 24 years of professional aviation, I've NEVER seen, nor personally had to use the E6B slide rule. The important stuff, we know how to figure in our heads. The difficult stuff is done by the FMC. As for Breitling advertising the fact that Scott Carpenter wore a Breitling on his Aurora 7 Mercury mission. They never mention the fact that Carpenter fired his retrorockets 3 seconds late. He overshot the landing area by over 250 miles. NASA thought he was dead for awhile. Soooo...

The Blue Angel I had was a BEAUTFUL watch. But I found it to be a bit delicate. It seemed like if one would look at it funny, a new ding would show up. It also didn't keep very good time. When I compared it to my Rolex GMT2, or my Speedy Pro, it just didn't fare well. Too jewelry-ish, and gained about 15 seconds a day. To add further insult to injury, my 40 year-old Rolex OP Date gains 2 seconds per day.

The one I liked the best? The Aerospace. The titanium and gold looked nice, felt like wearing nothing, and was tough as nails. It also had multiple timers. I liked that watch, but sold it to a buddy for what I paid. (One of those sick discounts...)

What this all boils down to for me is that Breitlings are gorgeous, fragile, and they really aren't known for in-house movements. If you want one to tell decent time, you need to get quartz. I'll stick to Rolex and Omega.
Brad737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 12:16 AM   #70
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
I'm a pilot, and I've tried to love Breitlings. The reason so many pilots wear them is because Breitling gives HELLACIOUS discounts for very small runs with commemorative dials. The first cost me something like $900 for a $2200-ish retail watch. I've owned 3 altogether, a Navitimer, a Blue Angel, and an Aerospace.

Navitimers are for guys who want to advertise they're pilots...typically private pilots. In 24 years of professional aviation, I've NEVER seen, nor personally had to use the E6B slide rule. The important stuff, we know how to figure in our heads. The difficult stuff is done by the FMC. As for Breitling advertising the fact that Scott Carpenter wore a Breitling on his Aurora 7 Mercury mission. They never mention the fact that Carpenter fired his retrorockets 3 seconds late. He overshot the landing area by over 250 miles. NASA thought he was dead for awhile. Soooo...

The Blue Angel I had was a BEAUTFUL watch. But I found it to be a bit delicate. It seemed like if one would look at it funny, a new ding would show up. It also didn't keep very good time. When I compared it to my Rolex GMT2, or my Speedy Pro, it just didn't fare well. Too jewelry-ish, and gained about 15 seconds a day. To add further insult to injury, my 40 year-old Rolex OP Date gains 2 seconds per day.

The one I liked the best? The Aerospace. The titanium and gold looked nice, felt like wearing nothing, and was tough as nails. It also had multiple timers. I liked that watch, but sold it to a buddy for what I paid. (One of those sick discounts...)

What this all boils down to for me is that Breitlings are gorgeous, fragile, and they really aren't known for in-house movements. If you want one to tell decent time, you need to get quartz. I'll stick to Rolex and Omega.

Well said. Interesting info re nasa!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 12:28 AM   #71
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Interesting to hear that Brad. I've only owned the Aerospace and it's one of my favorite watches in my collection. Like you, I love how light it is on the wrist and the accuracy is amazing.

Most of the other models in their collections, with the exceptions of the Colts and Superoceans, are too busy for me.
Old 20 May 2014, 07:27 AM   #72
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I do find it funny that many people criticise Breitlings for being too busy when most of us would gladly take a Patek PC chrono, only the Breitling chronos cost sooo much less.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 08:02 AM   #73
Exclusivewatches
Banned

Watch: ING MY WIFE
I find Breitling to be very toolish, even the most sophisticated Breitlings are imo toolish. Rolex, Omega etc are timeless pieces that never go out of style, they also tend to fit a larger audience. Some people are breitling, some arent.
Exclusivewatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 08:23 AM   #74
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
I have had a Chronomat Evo since 2007. No dings, or dents. It always keeps very good time and always gets compliments. I know the resale is not good but the watch is made with very high quality. It was my main watch for years.

Old 20 May 2014, 12:04 PM   #75
Kevin.S
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:

Must have needed a service. I have owned several Breitlings ( no Quartz) and they all were very accurate, certainly not fragile. This debate reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy
Kevin.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2014, 01:24 PM   #76
Brad737
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II
It was brand new. They were all new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.S View Post
Must have needed a service. I have owned several Breitlings ( no Quartz) and they all were very accurate, certainly not fragile. This debate reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy
Brad737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2014, 10:48 PM   #77
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
I have had a Chronomat Evo since 2007. No dings, or dents. It always keeps very good time and always gets compliments. I know the resale is not good but the watch is made with very high quality. It was my main watch for years.

Nice BCE!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2014, 11:33 PM   #78
JonMatrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
I used to be a superocean guy... had 2. Sold both for my first sub. My breitlings all went down in value where my sub when up. We could say its the in-house movement or the connection with Bond... but whatever it is... Rolex has a very tight and loyal market where the breitlings just don't. Once you unload the Lings and get your Sub, you will never turn back! Trust me... i love breitlings but i've never been able to hold on to one long term...
I finally did sell my superocean Chrono and put the money toward a year old GMT II. I paid $4k for the breitling and sold it for $2,300 after 2 years of ownership. Now that I have my first Rolex, I am looking to unload my superocean 44 and get a Sub. I def have the Rolex bug and have a hard time wearing anything else.
Although I am wearing the SO 44 right now, it just doesn't feel the same.
JonMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2014, 02:57 PM   #79
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

I have been having trouble selling my breitling Bentley white dial
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2014, 09:17 PM   #80
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
While Breitling makes nice watches, I get lost in the myriad of models, names etc, which are all quite the same...

Also by making small adjustments to the models often, make older models "obsolete" as buyers tend to want the newest and hottest model.

Also find many Breitlings too "busy".
Old 19 June 2014, 12:50 AM   #81
hchj
"TRF" Member

I recently sold 2 Breitling. Took me quite sometime... I now left with one, a two tone Chronomat powered by the B13 movement. I won't part with it cos it was too gorgeous...

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2
hchj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2014, 11:18 AM   #82
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
I have the A23322 bug...I want a blue one.
Old 20 June 2014, 12:15 PM   #83
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Very true. I was a Navy flight surgeon for a few years and luckily I got a lot of stick time at the controls of an SH-60. Breitling was big on our base and I saw a lot of pilots that I took care of wear them. I had a two tone Navitimer and I definitely got it because it looked like a pilot's watch. I never once used its slide rule even when I was in API at Pensacola. It looked cool and people noticed it. As soon as I returned to civilian medicine, I sold my Navitimer to fund a Rolex Milgauss which I later flipped for an Explorer. I really did like my Navitimer aesthetically but in the end a Rolex is just a far superior watch.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote