The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 September 2018, 05:00 AM   #61
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You speak the truth. Absolutely. Broham
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:10 AM   #62
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
After I was assaulted and sustained the traumatic brain injury, I initially struggled with the loss of my medical career, income and even my self image. I saw a very smart psychologist for a while to deal with the issues. One day as we talked, he said, "Mark, you can CHOOSE to thrive in this new situation." I took this to heart, and it turns out he was very right.
So glad to hear you were able to find that happy place. So many comments about money and no doubt that helps, but little mention about finding that place where one can feel at peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
At 69 and retired, life has never been better.

Whatever one's age, it's better to be healthy and satisfied with one's circumstances.
These!

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:15 AM   #63
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cop414 View Post
Interesting thread. I was able to retire at the relatively young age of 51. I’m loving life right now even with my minor aches and pains. In my line of work though the cynicism meter was far into the red after several decades and that has come down just a bit which is nice. Holly will be retiring in the next couple of years also at a relatively young age so that’s when the real fun begins.
So I guess my answer would be both? Retired at a younger age with enough money and health to really enjoy the next several decades. We always keep in mind though that this situation can change in an instant making us mindful to really enjoy our great situation. We had that wake up call several years ago when Holly had open heart surgery.
Grandkids now, financially stable and still healthy, that’s the ticket.
Unfortunately it seems the last couple of years I’m feeling more reason to have more cynicism all the time. I know it would be better if I could back off. I just know there’s good out there too. I just wish I could find it more often.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 September 2018, 08:32 AM   #64
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Unfortunately it seems the last couple of years I’m feeling more reason to have more cynicism all the time. I know it would be better if I could back off. I just know there’s good out there too. I just wish I could find it more often.

I think one key to get over the breaking point is to pass on the negative news.

Then the good doesn’t need to be sought out. It is what you’ll see in the natural balance of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:34 AM   #65
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
I’m having similar challenges.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:43 AM   #66
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I’m having similar challenges.
Just within the last week two girls started work and instead of just showing up, they actualy work. I mean instead of just breathing they actually do their share, carry their weight, actually participate.

I was so happy, this gives me hope.

It certainly would be nice if it were not so few and so far between.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

This is only one aspect we’re my frustrations lie, but it’s a little window of light.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 September 2018, 08:47 AM   #67
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I think one key to get over the breaking point is to pass on the negative news.

Then the good doesn’t need to be sought out. It is what you’ll see in the natural balance of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I did that for awhile, but it’s not just the news.

The frustration exists where I work as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 September 2018, 11:08 AM   #68
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I’m heading into retirement in March at age 56. My wife and I have prepared ourselves for retirement and are looking forward to spending time with each other, family and friends.
With life expectancy estimates these days and god willing we will have many good years ahead of us.
Ok, with that context back to the question.....were in good a place but I’d still rather be younger with many more years ahead of us to enjoy life.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:02 PM   #69
jatco

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
So glad to hear you were able to find that happy place. So many comments about money and no doubt that helps, but little mention about finding that place where one can feel at peace.

These!
..Are the things we hope for.

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:11 PM   #70
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I love this stage of life and wouldn’t trade it for my younger days. Not even close.

51, and secure in who I am, what I believe in, and comfortable in this stage of life. There are challenges at any stage young or old, but I wouldn’t want to turn back the clock ... except maybe for my aching feet
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 12:27 PM   #71
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
What I'd give to go back lol...

I have mostly great memories, few regrets, and value my experiences but I'd take younger in a heartbeat.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:05 AM   #72
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

I “retired” at 51 from a 25 year career as a lawyer. I HATED every second of it, but it gave me the freedom to be my own boss and live a great lifestyle in a small mountain town while I was young and physically able to enjoy a hardcore outdoor lifestyle.

I am very lucky now to be a stay at home dad and volunteer with a local agency that helps people start their own businesses. Eventually, I will look to do this on a for profit basis as weel once the kids suck a little less time.

However, my previous overly active lifestyle has resulted in some nagging injuries that are starting to have an impact. It made me very happy that I front end loaded my outdoor goals. Now I still enjoy them, but a little less vigorously.

As far as the general intolerance for the bullshit, I get it. I shake my head when I see people not even willing to put the slightest effort into making their lives better. I just remind myself that life is a great big bell curve. Most people struggle to get by. Many are the screw-ups that make me want to go postal. Very few truely excel and take charge of their own lives. Those are the people I choose to associate with. I let the others pound sand.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:16 AM   #73
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Very content at 51. No real regrets, made many mistakes in my 20's but made me who I am. Only part of the young thing I want is my body. I am very healthy but have chronic arthritis and back issues so pain is a daily routine. Some days it feels like survival...

I focus on being grateful and giving back as much as possible. Life is awesome and very stable at this point of time. Happiest on the golf course with my wife and a good cigar.

I do relate to some of the discussion about how things have changed and where we are headed. I avoid the news/media except for phone apps that notify me of major stories. Just get frustrated when I watch the news. Too much propaganda and agenda pushing for me.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 01:35 AM   #74
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Very content at 51. No real regrets, made many mistakes in my 20's but made me who I am. Only part of the young thing I want is my body. I am very healthy but have chronic arthritis and back issues so pain is a daily routine. Some days it feels like survival...

I focus on being grateful and giving back as much as possible. Life is awesome and very stable at this point of time. Happiest on the golf course with my wife and a good cigar.

I do relate to some of the discussion about how things have changed and where we are headed. I avoid the news/media except for phone apps that notify me of major stories. Just get frustrated when I watch the news. Too much propaganda and agenda pushing for me.

Skipping news is something I'm struggling with. I want to see these things for myself so I can make up my own mind. I've skipped it at times and I have to say I've felt better for it. My curiosity keeps me coming back.

Anyway, If I came across a great deal on a quality cigar like that Cuban Cigar I enjoyed in Germany decades ago I would be sorely tempted. I stopped smoking years ago, but still I would be tempted.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 September 2018, 01:48 AM   #75
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
I “retired” at 51 from a 25 year career as a lawyer. I HATED every second of it, but it gave me the freedom to be my own boss and live a great lifestyle in a small mountain town while I was young and physically able to enjoy a hardcore outdoor lifestyle.

I am very lucky now to be a stay at home dad and volunteer with a local agency that helps people start their own businesses. Eventually, I will look to do this on a for profit basis as weel once the kids suck a little less time.

However, my previous overly active lifestyle has resulted in some nagging injuries that are starting to have an impact. It made me very happy that I front end loaded my outdoor goals. Now I still enjoy them, but a little less vigorously.

As far as the general intolerance for the bullshit, I get it. I shake my head when I see people not even willing to put the slightest effort into making their lives better. I just remind myself that life is a great big bell curve. Most people struggle to get by. Many are the screw-ups that make me want to go postal. Very few truely excel and take charge of their own lives. Those are the people I choose to associate with. I let the others pound sand.

I just hate that my physical issues are making it difficult to be me. I limp still because of my knee issues and I always walk fast. It's just not me.

My intolerance surfaces worse when people have decided they can do whatever they want with little regard for others. I could care less if others wish or not wish to do something which will impact only them. Like you said, the less I have too deal with them in the first place the better.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 September 2018, 02:28 AM   #76
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
I tried retirement once, couldn't wait to get another job!! I hadn't realised just how bad daytime television is.

I wish I was younger than I am now (56) but I wish I was younger with my current knowledge. My attitudes haven't changed much over the years, which with hindsight have not helped me much in life, but I wish I'd known then what I know now. That a song title isn't it?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2018, 02:54 AM   #77
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I'm happy where I am-a great family, a few watches, a Porsche in the garage, and sleeping in EVERY day. Also if you go back and change anything, you might change everything and it might not be another path with a Rolex forum in it.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 12:40 PM   #78
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I'm happy where I am-a great family, a few watches, a Porsche in the garage, and sleeping in EVERY day. Also if you go back and change anything, you might change everything and it might not be another path with a Rolex forum in it.
I too, am very happy where I am, with my Better half, with just a few time pieces that mean something to me. No Porsche in the garage, no garage.. and not sleeping in Every day, but what I have, and who I have that with, is better now than I would've imagined...back in my 'youth'.
Can't get much better than this....! and

Old 22 September 2018, 02:37 PM   #79
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Today was quite emotional for me.
After 36 years with one company, I officially “hit the button” and will be retired as of my last day on 11/30, at 59 1/2.
A new chapter in my life will soon begin, with lots of planned travel.
Wouldn’t change where I am for the world.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:49 PM   #80
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
I truly want to work until my last breath. Any more than 3-days not working I get anxious and don’t feel good. Not sure how retirement feels but the thought of it is dreadful.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 02:51 PM   #81
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
I too, am very happy where I am, with my Better half, with just a few time pieces that mean something to me. No Porsche in the garage, no garage.. and not sleeping in Every day, but what I have, and who I have that with, is better now than I would've imagined...back in my 'youth'.
Can't get much better than this....! and
Peaceful, Thomas. Love it.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2018, 11:10 PM   #82
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Today was quite emotional for me.
After 36 years with one company, I officially “hit the button” and will be retired as of my last day on 11/30, at 59 1/2.
A new chapter in my life will soon begin, with lots of planned travel.
Wouldn’t change where I am for the world.
Congratulations ! Best wishes for a long, healthy and happy retirement.
March 2019, I hit the button.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 07:31 AM   #83
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
I retired from my first job in the military at 45 after 27.5 years service. At 59 I'm now 14 years into the second career. I had considered retiring at 62, but just recently got selected for a new job and the wife and I are moving to New Zealand for an overseas assignment. I figured I can give the job a few more years to live an exciting time in New Zealand. Once this assignment is over the plan is to retire for good and enjoy more free time with the family. The wife and I want to do a few bucket list trips and then just enjoy the remaining years relaxing and doing whatever comes along. Best wishes to all in your retirements. Aloha, Tim
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 07:34 AM   #84
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
the key is to have always 'enjoyed the moment' ........
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2018, 09:05 AM   #85
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Peaceful, Thomas. Love it.
Thanks Las.....as we sit in YYZ airport waiting for our cnx to Milan...

Old 23 September 2018, 09:22 AM   #86
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I am thoroughly enjoying the fruits of my labor and retirement is now an option.
I am grateful to be born into a time that had such opportunity available, in today’s world i do not think the young people will have the same opportunity and if so, perhaps far fewer.

All said there is no substituting youth but we have each had the same number of moments available to us, if we were lucky enough to grow old.

I guess going back with old man knowledge and starting over would present a much more appealing set of options.
Old 23 September 2018, 11:25 PM   #87
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
I grew up in a magical time, With great parents and sisters and lots of awesome friends. Traveled a lot as my Dad was in the military. We always played outside. No video games, smart phones or internet and our fun was where our bicycles and our imagination could take us. We never thought about race and who was what color. We were all just pals.

Sadly now America is not the place I grew up. Seems so divided.

People everywhere in every country walking around with their phone in their face. Interpersonal communication is no longer needed. Just a snappy retort from the safety of your phone.

I've left there and may never return.

Back on topic, I'm older, never been married, no kids and as I enter my golden years I have never ever been happier, I think I'm going to retire for good in April. I have no plans and I don't care.

To the younger guys life is good and just continues to get better, I am happy to be ageing. Gracefully. Its fun.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 05:14 AM   #88
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I've been trapped a couple of times by economic disaster which have helped to forestall my retirement. I'm at the right age but have chosen to keep working. Likely could retire but I'm not trusting enough to do it. As far as younger or older; I'll side with younger.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2018, 06:16 AM   #89
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
Congratulations ! Best wishes for a long, healthy and happy retirement.
March 2019, I hit the button.
Thanks.
It’s amazing how fast that will come for you as well.
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote