The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2016, 01:52 AM   #31
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The navitimer is a super sweet piece. I'd like to swap my navi world for one that's 43 mm but it was a gift....hmm
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 02:01 AM   #32
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I love my Breitling, but I am much more into the older models. I'm not a fan of the rubber bezels or inserts.

There is a lot of snobbery on this forum. Just ignore it
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 03:38 AM   #33
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

I might be the minority here but nowadays I prefer Breitling to Rolex. I have owned 3 Rolex watches, a 16610, a 16613 (blue dial) and a GMT-Master II. red/black bezel, probably 16710 if I remember well. Loving normal size watches I need a chronograph for a frequent use and at least a date feature (day-date even better), and a turning bezel outside. If I want to go in-house movement, one of the best offers is the Chronomat 41. That's what I have, wear it on a steel bracelet and I'm extremely happy with that. No real nostalgy for my past Rolexes. If some time Rolex will produce the Daytona-based movement with kinda day-date (several nice ways to add to the dial) and a 0/60 turning bezel (I'm very pessimistic that in my lifetime it should appear) I'd be ready to return. I'm happy that this is still only a hobby... :) Best to all!
Robertus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 04:33 AM   #34
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

i do like a couple of them, like the bentley moonphase with tobacco dial and the all black limited bentey barnato racing on black rubber, but for the most part I prefer Panerai/Rolex/IWC to breitling if I had to choose
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 06:35 AM   #35
Tyrantblade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
I love my Breitling, but I am much more into the older models. I'm not a fan of the rubber bezels or inserts.

There is a lot of snobbery on this forum. Just ignore it
Its not just this forum though, lots of snobs on WUS too

Both are classic example of believing that something you pay 5x as much for must be the best out there, and then adding in "well it cost 1/5th the price, so it must be complete garbage"

Anything you talk about is going to have cheap, budget, mid range, high price/luxury, and then the few examples considered to be the best.

I feel like with watches, the "cheap" is the crap most people out there buy for a watch; if they even need/want, something from Walmart that cost either $8 or $13 for the most part

Budget will range from types like Casio, Seiko, and many others up to those Micro Brands

Mid range would consist of some of the cheaper Swiss brands, including a lot of Tag Heuer models, and could be extended to some of the Breitling and Omega range and indeed Tudor (talking about old, outdated models if you look at used and buy when a good opportunity strikes)

Luxury would be most watches from Omega, Breitling, Rolex and pretty much anything starting at the $3000+ price range thats below the AP, PP, and VC level (and some others made to be ultra high end)

I feel as much as the Rolex people are going to believe Rolex is probably the best in the Luxury level, they aren't that much better, just snobbery from having a higher grade steel (which again nobody else uses, its more of a snobbery point than an actual benefit as most arent gonna be in conditions thst will corrode their luxury watch) and a higher price point

You could also throw in that they are probably stuck on the 40-41mm size most watch brands realize is outdated (it was probably the standard in the 70s), i don't feel like anything is oversized until it gets past the 45.5-46mm size, and then if you have an 8+ inch wrist you could probably pull it off
Tyrantblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 11:22 AM   #36
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Hey OP....if you want a Breitling get one. If you don't want a Rolex don't buy one. You asked for it asking about a Breitling on a Rolex forum. Calling us snobs and using terms like snobbery....rubbish. If you don't want people's opinions don't ask for them. By the way...have you ever owned a Rolex and/or a Breitling....
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 11:26 AM   #37
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

There is a reason the resale on a Rolex is what it is and the same for Breitling. No modern watch with an ETA or Valjoux movement is worth what Breitling charges.
Old 8 February 2016, 11:45 AM   #38
Changstaz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
You don't have to like every watch a brand has to offer but seriously, I don't see how any WIS can say that a Navitimer isn't a classic watch.
+1

Too big for my wrist unfortunately, but it sure is a classic!
Changstaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 12:12 PM   #39
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
As a kid I dreamed of 3 watches that I KNEW FOR SURE I could never own. A no date Submariner, a speedmaster pro, and a navitimer. I now own all 3 and a few others. That said, I am not likely to ever buy another breitling. I am happy having the one I have. Though it's 42mm it wears bigger than my GSAR. That is fine when I am working the pawn shop but not so hot when it doesn't fit under the cuff of my dress shirts in the evenings or weekends. The dial is busy but so much that I can't read it at 31 yrs old. Case, fit, finish, etc all seem fine but I can't stand the Breitling deployment buckle and how it really wears on the strap, so I bought 5 new straps of various colors and bought 5 deployment buckles that I like and have those to play with. I love the history of the navitimer and the slide rule function is great (I am a nerd who won the nc western region math fair with a project on slide rules in hs,) but the watch doesn't have the feel of either of my rolexes. Probably just my wrist, or maybe I am a snob but more days than not I am wearing a GSAR to the shop and my 6298 in the evening. That is until I can save up for the JLC I am eying.
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 12:13 PM   #40
Tyrantblade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
There is a reason the resale on a Rolex is what it is and the same for Breitling. No modern watch with an ETA or Valjoux movement is worth what Breitling charges.
Maybe at retail, but i think a Breitling bought at used prices is a pretty good choice, nothing like most of their designs

No i haven't owned a Breitling yet, probably will never buy a Rolex, only Rolex id ever care to own would be a DSSD, but the cost compared to any other respectable swiss brand dive watch model seems crazy
Tyrantblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 12:21 PM   #41
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed OP. The price on a preowned Breitling is usually reasonable. I will also say the Navitimer is a timeless classic. Good luck on you quest to own. Breitling. We all have different tastes. You may surprise yourself and wind up owning a Rolex someday. The price of an Omega PO 8500 preowned is also an excellent value for the money.
Old 8 February 2016, 02:50 PM   #42
badass09
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116613LBD

Had this about 5 years back.. got it in a trade i made with a tag.. wore it as a sort of dress watch but eventually sold it off to get another piece..

I do like breitlings for their bracelet designs such as their pilot bracelets but their a real P.I.T.A when you wanna sell them that put me off from buying them..
badass09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 03:57 PM   #43
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hey OP....if you want a Breitling get one. If you don't want a Rolex don't buy one. You asked for it asking about a Breitling on a Rolex forum. Calling us snobs and using terms like snobbery....rubbish. If you don't want people's opinions don't ask for them. By the way...have you ever owned a Rolex and/or a Breitling....
Did the OP call anyone a snob?
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2016, 04:00 PM   #44
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe do your homework. Breitling sells their ETA-based watches in line with other manufacturers of the same ilk. And their in house movement is well respected too
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 12:46 AM   #45
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I would respectfully disagree about BO1 movement. It has performed well thus far but they haven't been out long enough to see how they will perform long term. Cheers!
Old 9 February 2016, 05:17 AM   #46
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would respectfully disagree about BO1 movement. It has performed well thus far but they haven't been out long enough to see how they will perform long term. Cheers!
Surely the first in-house Daytona movement cal. 4130 has cca. 9 years of advantage over the B01, so 16 vs. 7 years - neither an eternity though. I believe both will proof their reliability on the long run.
Enjoy! :)
Old 9 February 2016, 07:47 AM   #47
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I just received my first Breitling today and quite like it. 45mm Super Avenger blacksteel Code Orange.
I may never own another Breitling, I don't know, so I am going to put this into the rotation and enjoy it.

IWC Big Pilot Chronometer up next, followed by Rolex Explorer II, and maybe downsize to a 36mm datejust on a super jubilee. That DJ would be my first watch under 40mm and probably worn more than my DJii.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uper Avenger blacksteel_2.jpg (65.5 KB, 311 views)
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 09:06 AM   #48
RLROCK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on my mood
I have owned 3 Breitlings, and all have performed well. My Avenger II GMT keeps better time than my Rolex GMT (both are about 2 years old) and is well within COSC specs.

A friend of mine is a retired USAF Lt. Colonel and was smitten with Breitling when he did maneuvers with the RAF. He said it was an essential piece for military pilots.

Just like automobiles, it all comes down to taste and preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 9 February 2016, 09:12 AM   #49
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
One of my first nice watches was a Super Avenger, I've put the watch through just about everything and still keeps just about perfect time. I think what appeals to me is how rugged and sporty Breitling watch designs are. I can wear my SA in the plane, ocean, hiking and to parties and it fits all my needs perfectly.

I would not worry about Breitling's reputation among the WIS, these individuals are typically occupied by both hypothetical and OCD needs.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 10:59 PM   #50
SS_Sub
"TRF" Member

Still really like my Headwind. Have done since the day I purchased it.
SS_Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 12:56 AM   #51
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
It's hard for me to understand complete distaste for any one watch brand.
They all have something for everyone.
I am a major Rolex fan and wear them more often but at least two days a week, this guy sees wrist time.
It's clearly not a Rolex as Rolex does not have a flight watch. However, it is still a classic beauty to me and makes me smile each and every time I wear it, no different than my Rolex watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.2 KB, 308 views)
123Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 10:04 AM   #52
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Breitling has some nice pieces that I'd be happy to wear, and some I wouldn't wear... Same goes for my beloved AP line, but to shut Breitling out as a whole brand is ridiculous.
Manofsteelpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 11:39 AM   #53
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
To me its almost you love Breitling or you hate it. I think the vintage stuff was really great- the pilots tool watch as Rolex was the divers tool watch. The 24 hour dial models are rare and cool. I'd wear that.

The new versions do tend to be flashy and busy. But then again so are subs. I guess progress is signified by more shiny surfaces?

The new offerings don't really speak to me. I saw a blacked out LE Chrono but it was a bit gigantic. No 40-42mm version available. It did look cool though. Like vintage, I like something you won't see everyone wearing.

If it did come "normal" size and I bought it, would I still love it? Not sure.

But I will say my 1680 and 9411 tend to get all my wrist time these days. Both rare (somewhat) and devoid of bling. And I'm ok with that.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 11:55 AM   #54
J!m
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrantblade View Post
You could also throw in that they are probably stuck on the 40-41mm size most watch brands realize is outdated (it was probably the standard in the 70s), i don't feel like anything is oversized until it gets past the 45.5-46mm size, and then if you have an 8+ inch wrist you could probably pull it off
Just wanted to point out in the 70's there were some huge watches. Rolex held out then and did t go bigger than 40. Now they did and the trend is heading back to smaller watches. The new seadweller is back at 40 from 42. And looks great. Seamasters scaled up the bracelet and dial with the case. New subs look a bit odd with the dial and bracelet from a 40mm watch on a 42mm case. In my opinion of course.
Old 10 February 2016, 11:59 AM   #55
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

I find them hard to read - very busy. But for younger eyes, sharp watches.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 12:37 PM   #56
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Not my cup of tea. If You like em, buy em. You don't like Rolex, don't buy em. Posting about snobs etc. sounds like thoust protesteth too much.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 12:40 PM   #57
Abdon
"TRF" Member

Watch: All I can!
For YEARS I didn't even look at Breitling watches...simply had no interest in them as brand. That being said, I do own a Superocean that I have had for about 16 years, and I have banged the HECK out of that watch, and it's still going strong. Recently the new Navitimer 46 caught my eye, I ended up buying it, and I am THRILLED to pieces with it!!! I have learned to appreciate any and every good watch brand for what it is, and I now buy watches that I LIKE, before I buy them for the "brand" they are. As a result, I am much happier with my collection!
Breitling has a lot of very nice timepieces, a lot of great history and is a reputable and established brand. I'm a fan!

SS Sub 16610, 5513 meters first Sub, Tag Heuer Autavia (2003),Seiko Orange Monster, Seiko Turtle, Breitling Superocean
Abdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2016, 09:25 PM   #58
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
My daughter is going out with a commercial pilot and he said it is traditional to buy a Breitling when you get your wings. I have tried to persuade him to buy a Rolex but he seems adamant to go the Breitling root !
Old 10 February 2016, 11:36 PM   #59
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Just wanted to point out in the 70's there were some huge watches. Rolex held out then and did t go bigger than 40. Now they did and the trend is heading back to smaller watches. The new seadweller is back at 40 from 42. And looks great. Seamasters scaled up the bracelet and dial with the case. New subs look a bit odd with the dial and bracelet from a 40mm watch on a 42mm case. In my opinion of course.
I beg to disagree on some points: Subs still have 40 mm case, too thick lugs make it look bigger though. I find the bracelet width to total lug width ratio ridiculous but that's only me. (Case/lug/bracelet shape and ratios of the 40 mm Yacht-Master are much nicer.) Sea-dweller (not the SDDS) still has the 40 mm case, lug/bracelet proportions are way better than that of the Sub, unfortunately premium over the Sub is extremely high - for example compared to the price ratios of these two models in the '90-s. (If I'm correct SD premium was only a few percent, maximum 5%) while today the SD4k has a price tag not far from the SDDS. The only Oyster with a 42 mm case today is the Explorer II. Even the Daytona is 40 mm. I find these sizes perfect, being a chrono guy I wear chronograph watches (IWC, Breitling, Sinn) usually within the 39 and 41.5 mm range (with some exceptions) and I find this perfect, having a 6.75" wrist. Just my two cents.
Old 11 February 2016, 12:37 AM   #60
J!m
"TRF" Member

I have a 1969 speedmaster Mk II and it's quite big. The Seanaster "big blue" is quite large (and thick) Omega was not the only one.

New sub owners: are the ceramic bezel subs 40mm? The ones I tried on were larger, 42 as I understand. The latest seadweller is 40mm and something I'd actually wear. Am I imagining things?