The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 October 2021, 05:32 PM   #1
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Annual Calendar 5035J

Hi guys,

Just asking for your thoughts on this watch...

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/patekphil...id21090865.htm

Does anything ring any alarm bells? Or does it all look good?

I really like the look of it - just wanted to check I hadn't missed anything.

Thanks in advance - all advice appreciated.

FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 04:24 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

No papers would make it a no deal for a lot of people.

Do you like the dial layout of the 5035 better than the 5146?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 05:09 AM   #3
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

It’s also smaller at 37mm vs 5146 at 39mm. They both wears small, so the 37mm feels more like 36 or even smaller, I think.
Old 13 October 2021, 02:52 PM   #4
AnythingButTime
"TRF" Member

First Annual Calendar!
AnythingButTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2021, 10:10 PM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Price seems slightly high in today's market, yet you get box, leather booklet, and extract. Make sure it includes the receipt for the PP service in 2019.

My experience is that i got the 5035r when it was first released ($13,500 all-in). This was back when Patek was being creative with new innovations. Sure the date wheel is 'off' (not centered) on some days of the month, yet overall she was very durable for typical desk jockying and world travels. She is a bit small by today's standards, yet f you have a smaller wrist this should not be a problem imho. A fun timepiece and can easily see it being worn by those under 18 as well. Have not seen the grey dial out there much, that's a bit more rare. Love the black dial / rg version.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2021, 10:07 AM   #6
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
No papers would make it a no deal for a lot of people.

Do you like the dial layout of the 5035 better than the 5146?
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I prefer the dial layout - and has an 'extract' from PP - it would be very much a 'wearer' rather than a 'safe queen' - so I'm fine with the extract.

Old 14 October 2021, 10:09 AM   #7
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Price seems slightly high in today's market, yet you get box, leather booklet, and extract. Make sure it includes the receipt for the PP service in 2019.

My experience is that i got the 5035r when it was first released ($13,500 all-in). This was back when Patek was being creative with new innovations. Sure the date wheel is 'off' (not centered) on some days of the month, yet overall she was very durable for typical desk jockying and world travels. She is a bit small by today's standards, yet f you have a smaller wrist this should not be a problem imho. A fun timepiece and can easily see it being worn by those under 18 as well. Have not seen the grey dial out there much, that's a bit more rare. Love the black dial / rg version.
Old 15 October 2021, 12:40 AM   #8
geraldbnt
"TRF" Member

Hello

I own a Patek Philippe 5035G black dial, it is an extraordinary choice in a collection.

This reference is unique, it is the origin of the annual calendar

These 37 mm and the weight of gold gives it a perfect presence, an exceptional watch for every day, it is positioned perfectly on a wrist between 16 and 18 cm

it is an underestimated watch, and which remains today the best value for money for a useful complication watch at Patek Philippe

I don't think it will stay in this price positioning for long ...

it is extremely discreet at the same time very chic with a suit and goes very well with a more sporty outfit in jeans and a shirt

it is true that the certificate of origin or a register extract is important on these watches

hoping to have helped
geraldbnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 04:44 AM   #9
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

FWIW, I previously owned the 5035R, which I enjoyed for over a decade, sold it a couple of years ago and got the 5205R.

It's a little small by today's standards at 37mm, and wears smaller than that due to the somewhat wide and concave bezels (btw, the 5205 also wears small for its size for the same reason, but it's larger to begin with at 40mm and much more contemporary - the 5035 may appear somewhat dated these days).

I had a few mechanical issues with it, had to go in for service once, and later started losing time by 12-15 seconds per day. The lume didn't last long and never was bright to begin with - on the other hand, I dislike lume in general, in my experience lume generally doesn't keep luminosity very long in totally dark rooms e.g. in a movie theater, defeating the purpose. So I prefer solid hands/markers).

Price wise, I imagine it could hold its value reasonably well if purchased aggressively - probably not much upside as it's not a rare or "hot" piece, but limited downside.

Its successor, the 5146, would be a substantiually better watch - but at a much higher price, so maybe not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Hope that helps a little. Cheers.
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 09:07 AM   #10
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldbnt View Post
Hello

I own a Patek Philippe 5035G black dial, it is an extraordinary choice in a collection.

This reference is unique, it is the origin of the annual calendar

These 37 mm and the weight of gold gives it a perfect presence, an exceptional watch for every day, it is positioned perfectly on a wrist between 16 and 18 cm

it is an underestimated watch, and which remains today the best value for money for a useful complication watch at Patek Philippe

I don't think it will stay in this price positioning for long ...

it is extremely discreet at the same time very chic with a suit and goes very well with a more sporty outfit in jeans and a shirt

it is true that the certificate of origin or a register extract is important on these watches

hoping to have helped
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSpaniard View Post
FWIW, I previously owned the 5035R, which I enjoyed for over a decade, sold it a couple of years ago and got the 5205R.

It's a little small by today's standards at 37mm, and wears smaller than that due to the somewhat wide and concave bezels (btw, the 5205 also wears small for its size for the same reason, but it's larger to begin with at 40mm and much more contemporary - the 5035 may appear somewhat dated these days).

I had a few mechanical issues with it, had to go in for service once, and later started losing time by 12-15 seconds per day. The lume didn't last long and never was bright to begin with - on the other hand, I dislike lume in general, in my experience lume generally doesn't keep luminosity very long in totally dark rooms e.g. in a movie theater, defeating the purpose. So I prefer solid hands/markers).

Price wise, I imagine it could hold its value reasonably well if purchased aggressively - probably not much upside as it's not a rare or "hot" piece, but limited downside.

Its successor, the 5146, would be a substantiually better watch - but at a much higher price, so maybe not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Hope that helps a little. Cheers.
Thanks guys.
Old 15 October 2021, 09:22 AM   #11
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure if extract = authentication though. As per the usual saying, buy the seller. I personally prefer the 5146.
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 05:28 PM   #12
geraldbnt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I’m not sure if extract = authentication though. As per the usual saying, buy the seller. I personally prefer the 5146.
the register extract is in no way a proof of authenticity

whatever the seller, I always send my watches to the parent company following the purchase ... this is the only way to be perfectly sure
geraldbnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2021, 05:55 PM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldbnt View Post
the register extract is in no way a proof of authenticity

whatever the seller, I always send my watches to the parent company following the purchase ... this is the only way to be perfectly sure
Same here - any preowned watch I bought went in for a service to give it a fresh start at my house.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5035j