The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2021, 04:31 PM   #61
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
Like many, I have been eyeing a 5167A-001 Aquanaut. However, it won't happen through an AD. The thought of paying secondary prices is a bit much, but I am considering consolidating my collection to fund one. You never know what the market will bring, but if the trend continues, I believe the Aquanaut will be permanently out of reach for me, much like the Nautilus is now. I am in scrubs or casual wear 99% of the time and I think the watch would get plenty of use.

My question is this, would you sell a 14060m submariner 2-liner, 16520 Daytona (White dial - Zenith movement), and a 216570 Explorer ii Polar to mostly fund the purchase?

Current collection also includes a YM42, Explorer (39mm), Grand Seiko Skyflake, JLC Reverso Duoface, Omega SMP 300M, and Pepsi on Jubilee. I'm thrilled with my current collection. However, in same breath, I'd like to consolidate a bit.

Thanks in advance for the pros and cons.

All your mentioned watches are iconic, I wouldn’t part with any for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 December 2021, 07:14 PM   #62
rkny
"TRF" Member

I’ve been known to consolidate multiple watches I liked into a watch I loved, while taking a not unsubstantial hit.

A 14060 is replaceable.

A PP 5167, for me anyway, is next level. Good enough for Paul and Ringo, good enough for me.

I don’t have nearly enough in watch equity to reach a parity trade, but I’d gladly bid my 1968 Speedmaster, my black dial OP39, and my 124060 2020 Sub ND farewell, plus cash, to usher in a PP Aquanaut. Then I’d be a one watch guy.
rkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 07:46 PM   #63
karleone
"TRF" Member

I would never sell three steel Rolex that includes a Sub and a Daytona for a steel no complication watch on rubber!
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 12:59 AM   #64
dannyp
Banned

Would I trade multiple Rolexes for a 5167? Maybe. But not those Rolexes. Those (at least the Daytona) are true collectors items. The 5167 is low-production, and it is a Patek, but it's just a "regular," in-production Patek. The value, particularly of a Zenith Daytona, is more likely to hold long-term (compared to current market prices, not MSRP, which I doubt the PP will ever sink below).

If trading in this manner, I'd only do it with an AD, for a brand new one, but where I get a "deal" (assuming I paid MSRP for the Rolexes), and they do (because they must sell the PP at MSRP, but can sell pre-owned Rolexes at market).

For example, offering AD the Pepsi and $12,000 for a 5167. If you got the Pepsi at retail, you "break even" in terms of money spent, and dealer makes around $12-15,000 more than if they sold the 5167 for cash.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 08:21 AM   #65
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
Trade multiple Rolex watches for Patek 5167A-001?

The market doesn’t reflect the real value of those watches vs. the 5167.

I’ve seen several times some hot pieces that I would never part ways for a few of my hot Rolexes.

That’s why it’s good to be able to try them on and hopefully even get to wear one for some time.

Rolex gives so much value although not with coats de Geneve and open case backs.

Old 6 December 2021, 06:01 PM   #66
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
I think if you buy the 5167a you will still reach for the ym42 most mornings but if you have never owned one and need to scratch the itch go ahead!
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:00 AM   #67
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
I would have a difficult time making that trade considering the sub and Daytona are beautiful references, and I’d hate to part with them for one watch.

azs.77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:45 AM   #68
IAN1
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex of course.
Zero chance
IAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 05:26 AM   #69
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
A two liner ,,,A Zenith Daytona plus an Explorer,,for an Aquanaut ?
Never in a million years ,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:10 AM   #70
GRabens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many Rolex!
I think selling the 16520 Daytona (White dial - Zenith movement) would be a mistake. I remember ADs saying they only would get 2 of those Daytona's a year. That watch is super rare compared to today's version. You'll probably never own another one. Now if you don't care for it any more, sell it.
GRabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 06:16 AM   #71
JPBlackBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
I'd keep the zenith Daytona.
JPBlackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:14 AM   #72
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRabens View Post
I think selling the 16520 Daytona (White dial - Zenith movement) would be a mistake. I remember ADs saying they only would get 2 of those Daytona's a year. That watch is super rare compared to today's version. You'll probably never own another one. Now if you don't care for it any more, sell it.
Good advice here. I've been wearing this watch since my original post. I'm reminded that it is a real stunner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FBE74364-0826-4759-9EB3-498A417BEB4C.jpeg (100.8 KB, 67 views)
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 07:25 AM   #73
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Went to an event at a Rolex AD last week and ran into a guy I know who showed me his new Patek Aquanaut. He said he paid 70 grand for it. I don't know about any trades you can make but I would so not pay that for that watch. Its not a bad watch, I think its cool but its just too much imo...
Old 7 December 2021, 08:30 AM   #74
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

That's a lot of watch to give up for an Aquanaut, which albeit cool doesn't measure up to that trio.

Have you considered getting a neo-vintage Aquanaut? 5065 or 5066 can be had at a fraction of the price for a very similar style.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:55 AM   #75
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
I've owned the 5167a and other Patek's. If you think Rolex is conceited wait till you reach out to Patek. I will never buy another Patek again. Keep what you have and be happy the grass is always greener on the other side until you own it. Don't do it. Aside from the company the 5167 is not worth it, plain and simple.
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 09:02 AM   #76
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Actually when I consolidated on the Platona I traded watches that I was frustrated with for various reasons. Everyone of them presented some sort of problem in my mind. I got a chance to start fresh and rebuild the collection. So OP, if you really like the watches you've got then I wouldn't. If you've got issues with them then consider it if you're getting something you'll like much more.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 10:24 AM   #77
dauster
"TRF" Member

dont do it, aquanaut is awesome but it's a basic steel watch on rubber - just move-on to other pieces or find a rolex AD that also carries patek maybe down the line you can get the R version.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote