The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2021, 08:32 AM   #121
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Both watches are stunning but the white is a picture watch while the black is a in person watch. I have the black.
I've been saying this since 2016. I've owned both several times, and now only have the black. The white dial is a toothpaste-like flat white and just too stark.

The black dial is shimmery, elegant yet sporty, and in general, more special, and you also get a beautiful reflection off of the sub-dials, which you don't get on the white version.

And to those who complain the Daytona wears small (not me), the black Daytona definitely wears bigger. Plus ... drum roll ..... you save several thousands of dollars if you buy a black one (vs. white) on the secondary market.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 08:45 AM   #122
tzechong
"TRF" Member

Was lucky to be in Japan pre covid 2019 Nov. Healthy grey market there where one can buy in safety.

Bit the bullet and decided to pay the premium to enjoy the watch now, and figured if I ever get an allocation on my AD waitlist then I will have two or sell one at the time.

Had the choice between white and black - ended up going black (on Chinese asian skin). Liked that the ceramic bezel actually looked silver like in some light and played nicely with the black dial. Completely different to pictures.

White was also beautiful but for me, would love it as a second rather than only
tzechong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:09 AM   #123
Tensai
"TRF" Member

Watch: all the good ones
The black wears larger, and is very versatile.

Don't buy the white dial unless you like a stark white watch (that wears smaller), because you won't enjoy wearing it. And who cares about the social media hype, it won't make the watch better for you.

There is a reason that most people have predominantly black dial watches in their collection...
Tensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:23 AM   #124
jmusser3r
"TRF" Member

I love the black. My buddy has the white face and while it’s also gorgeous the black wears a bit bigger and IMO looks more sporty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmusser3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:27 AM   #125
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Don't own either but have tried both on and myself prefer the black.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:28 AM   #126
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Well I just got back from my AD and after trying them both several times, I gotta say they are both equally stunning. And I chose…I’ll post some better pics but right now just enjoying the piece with a proper cocktail…thanks all
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 219494D5-D794-4C33-99ED-AA16A0C45355.jpeg (84.8 KB, 477 views)
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:51 AM   #127
msu_1972
Banned

Watch: Panda, BLNR
i have so many black dial watches so for me i would go with the white panda.

you should have included a voting on top of your thread to see where most of the popular voter leans to? :)
msu_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 07:52 PM   #128
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_1972 View Post
i have so many black dial watches so for me i would go with the white panda.

you should have included a voting on top of your thread to see where most of the popular voter leans to? :)
All of my watches are also Black and I normally would immediately gravitate towards the black one, but I did want something white in my collection. I tried a Polar on this summer but it just didn’t work for me.
Didn’t do a poll because I was going to pick the one that sang to me. Honestly they are so equally beautiful that what probably tilted me in the end was that it gave me the variety of dial color in my sea of Black…
Old 4 December 2021, 09:30 PM   #129
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post
Well I just got back from my AD and after trying them both several times, I gotta say they are both equally stunning. And I chose…I’ll post some better pics but right now just enjoying the piece with a proper cocktail…thanks all
Congratulations!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:10 PM   #130
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Congratulations!
Thank you sir!
Old 4 December 2021, 11:52 PM   #131
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 09:44 PM   #132
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations.
Thank you…still can’t believe it! After wearing it for 48 hours I’m sure I made the right decision. Was really worried about a white dial on my skin tone as Polar never worked for me…but this certainly does and if I have to have one white dial in the collection, we’ll this is it
Old 5 December 2021, 09:55 PM   #133
ChronoSloth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
100% the white dial for the ceramic model.

But I'd pick the black one for the steel bezel old model.

Feel the exact opposite, but that’s what makes the world go ‘round!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
————————————————————————————-
ChronoSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 10:06 PM   #134
karleone
"TRF" Member

I had the choice between white and black and I went black and I have no regrets. Would love to add a white but if only one black for sure! I wear it almost everyday and most of the time on super jubilee.

karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 11:15 PM   #135
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Daytona SS Ceramic: White vs Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSol1 View Post

Congratulations. The panda (well any) Daytona are special. There’s 50+ years of heritage in each watch. And personally, the current iteration are the best So far.

There are a lot of people who want a Daytona. But congratulations on joining the few who manage to get one at retail from an AD and wear them everyday.

I chose the middle ground and have always loved the steel dial

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 12:03 AM   #136
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanalasta View Post
Congratulations. The panda (well any) Daytona are special. There’s 50+ years of heritage in each watch. And personally, the current iteration are the best So far.

There are a lot of people who want a Daytona. But congratulations on joining the few who manage to get one at retail from an AD and wear them everyday.

I chose the middle ground and have always loved the steel dial

Thank you sir…yes, I am very grateful for this piece. I personally would not go grey and was willing to wait enjoy my other watches in the meantime, so feel very lucky!
Old 6 December 2021, 12:51 AM   #137
envuks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoSloth View Post

I agree with this! White on the 116520 and black on the 116500. Wonderful bracelet choice as well sir! You clearly have fantastic taste!

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 10:47 AM   #138
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Black was my choice and I was lucky enough to get one!

Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 11:10 AM   #139
JSol1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcheroo View Post
Black was my choice and I was lucky enough to get one!

Equally stunning and I would be thrilled with this option as well!
Old 6 December 2021, 11:47 AM   #140
William
"TRF" Member

OP choosing between multiple Daytona options. Meanwhile, I’m sitting here like:

William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 12:09 PM   #141
ProCoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 white index
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoSloth View Post

I think this is the look I’m going for! Halfway there…

Jubilee on the early watch looks sparkly, too!
ProCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2022, 02:56 PM   #142
Time2Travel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner

I ordered a white dial first then decided I wanted a black dial too. I like both but find the black dial is easier to read and looks bigger on your wrist.
Time2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 06:18 PM   #143
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
I think black is more cool than the white dial, but the white dial has more contrast and is more legible of the two.......

either way, can't go wrong with both choices~
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 07:22 PM   #144
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Daytona SS Ceramic: White vs Black

All below are just my opinions, and owning either is a blessing. You cannot go wrong. Hopefully some insights below can help you.

Shared attributes:
- very comfortable to wear
- fit a wide range of wrist sizes
- work for men and women
- the venerable 4130 movement is a mechanical marvel, so perfect since inception that it has gone essentially unchanged since 2000. This movement broke ground with many firsts for Rolex.
- world’s best bracelet and clasp
- thin case
- robust and waterproof
- wears small but with commanding presence
- extremely well protected by cerachrome bezel, crowns and crown guards

Black dial (m116500ln-0002) attributes:

- first thing that jumps out at you is the way the concentric silver subdial rings spread the light spectrum, sometimes looking light blue, pink, green, gold, brown, purple … only those who have worn one will understand this phenomenon.
- beautiful gloss black dial
- sometimes appears larger in size than the white because the dial seems extended by the matching glossy black bezel
- more dressy and formal
- silver subdials accentuate and compliment the 904L steel case, making the dial more cohesive with the overall watch.
- suitable as an everyday every occasion watch, absolutely perfect with a tuxedo or suit, yet seems perfectly fine with jeans and a tee shirt, transforming itself into casual
- red Daytona text stands out less, but glimpses are more satisfying when you catch them
- definitely will get noticed LESS than the white dial, which can be a very good thing at certain times, occasions and locations
- in low light, the Rolex WG Crown stands out equally on both black and white dials, but in bright light, the WG stands out a LOT more on the black dial, making the watch appear more balanced and symmetrical.
- appliqué hour markers stand out more in all lighting conditions on the black dial
- chronograph (large) seconds hand easier to see and track on black dial
- if you can only own one watch and it’s a Daytona, get the black for its complete versatility

White dial m116500ln-0001 attributes:

- the black dial version is just a black dial Daytona, but the white dial gets a nickname and notoriety of being the “Panda” Daytona
- higher contrast with stark shifts from silver to black to white to black to white again. Incredibly striking!
- Panda-esk dial harkens memories of early four-digit Daytonas, which many find makes this reference more collectible
- black subdial rings bring best attribute of the white dial Zenith models into the modern day
- black subdial rings improve readability over the silver subdial rings of the white dial 116520
- black cerachrome bezel frames perfectly the white dial, making it stand out among nearly every other watch in public settings
- recognition: everyone will know what you are wearing (not always a good thing)
- white dial is mesmerizing as it sits somewhere in between being matte and gloss … as you more your wrist around the white dial takes on both properties.
- red Daytona text above the 6 o’clock subdial stands out more against the white
- the black minute and second markers at the outer edge of the dial stand out more, making it seem more like a tool watch
- chronograph (large) seconds hand harder to see and track on white dial … I wish Rolex had blackened (or painted red) the seconds hand on the white dial variant
- subdials hands easier to read against the black rings with white centers
- the five lines of text above the hand stack stands out more on the white dial. I wish it just said Rolex … next line Cosmograph … next line Daytona in red, but Rolex knows what they are doing
- The white dial is the one to have if your other Rolex watches are primarily black dial, giving you more color variety. It’s also the one to have to be recognized as having THE MOST HARD TO GET ROLEX on the planet (at least of the high production models).

The white (we all know) is generally more in demand, so it commands a greater (~$3k-5k) price on the secondary market, but to me that only furthers the value advantage to the black dial. You can’t go wrong with either.

Which one will have better long term value? I’d be guessing to say white, but honestly do not care.

For those who are lucky enough to own one or both, take the time to really drink in the beauty, quality and engineering prowess represented therein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 07:43 PM   #145
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
All below are just my opinions, and owning either is a blessing. You cannot go wrong. Hopefully some insights below can help you.

Shared attributes:
- work for men and women
- the venerable 4130 movement is a mechanical marvel, so perfect since inception that it has gone essentially unchanged since 2000. This movement broke ground with many firsts for Rolex.
- thin case
- robust and waterproof

- first thing that jumps out at you is the way the concentric silver subdial rings spread the light spectrum, sometimes looking light blue, pink, green, gold, brown, purple … only those who have worn one will understand this phenomenon.
- sometimes appears larger in size than the white because the dial seems extended by the matching glossy black bezel
- more dressy and formal
- silver subdials accentuate and compliment the 904L steel case, making the dial more cohesive with the overall watch.
- suitable as an everyday every occasion watch, absolutely perfect with a tuxedo or suit, yet seems perfectly fine with jeans and a tee shirt, transforming itself into casual
- red Daytona text stands out less, but glimpses are more satisfying when you catch them
- definitely will get noticed LESS than the white dial, which can be a very good thing at certain times, occasions and locations
- in low light, the Rolex WG Crown stands out equally on both black and white dials, but in bright light, the WG stands out a LOT more on the black dial, making the watch appear more balanced and symmetrical.
- appliqué hour markers stand out more in all lighting conditions on the black dial
- if you can only own one watch and it’s a Daytona, get the black for its complete versatility

- the black dial version is just a black dial Daytona, but the white dial gets a nickname and notoriety of being the “Panda” Daytona
- higher contrast with stark shifts from silver to black to white to black to white again. Incredibly striking!
- Panda-esk dial harkens memories of early four-digit Daytonas, which many find makes this reference more collectible
- black subdial rings bring best attribute of the white dial Zenith models into the modern day
- black subdial rings improve readability over the silver subdial rings of the white dial 116520
- black cerachrome bezel frames perfectly the white dial, making it stand out among nearly every other watch in public settings
- recognition: everyone will know what you are wearing (not always a good thing)
- white dial is mesmerizing as it sits somewhere in between being matte and gloss … as you more your wrist around the white dial takes on both properties.
- red Daytona text above the 6 o’clock subdial stands out more against the white
- the black minute and second markers at the outer edge of the dial stand out more, making it seem more like a tool watch
- chronograph (large) seconds hand harder to see and track on white dial … I wish Rolex had blackened (or painted red) the seconds hand on the white dial variant
- the five lines of text above the hand stack stands out more on the white dial. I wish it just said Rolex … next line Cosmograph … next line Daytona in red, but Rolex knows what they are doing
- The white dial is the one to have if your other Rolex watches are primarily black dial, giving you more color variety. It’s also the one to have to be recognized as having THE MOST HARD TO GET ROLEX on the planet (at least of the high production models).

The white (we all know) is generally more in demand, so it commands a greater (~$3k-5k) price on the secondary market, but to me that only furthers the value advantage to the black dial. You can’t go wrong with either.

Which one will have better long term value? I’d be guessing to say white, but honestly do not care.

For those who are lucky enough to own one or both, take the time to really drink in the beauty, quality and engineering prowess represented therein.

My two favorite watches
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 10:02 PM   #146
AD337
"TRF" Member

I know its an older thread but after reading SS Oyster’s recent reply I just have to comment and say that’s an incredibly well done comparison you made there sir.

I got the call for my black dial Daytona back in June of 2021 and was so thrilled even though I hoped for the white one. I still am told that I will be able to get the white dial one, and probably relatively soon by now!

As excited as I am about it, I have a feeling that once I do add the white one to my collection, and having both together after the honeymoon phase of the white - once all that time has gone by I feel like in the end Ill think the black is the nicer looking one of the two.. but its just something about that white dial too though, I guess its so many years and years of lusting after it and its history being a little more tied closely to the popular vintage ones etc..

In any case one comment I do have to make about the Daytona is that I can pull it off, but barely. I have a 7.5 inch wrist, but the wrist span is short luckily.. I have a 7.5 inch wrist because im muscular, not fat, so that helps it still look nice. for size reference 7.5 inch wrist means that I wear the watch with all of the links and it fits perfectly just right out the cardboard box from the AD!! So back to the point, as much as I hate to admit it I do realize that the ‘smaller wearing’ 40mm case, gorgeous as it is, looks on the smaller side on me - but again, it is doable at least
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 12:32 AM   #147
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:

Shared attributes:
- work for men and women
- thin case
- robust and waterproof

- more dressy and formal

Best analysis I've ever read on this topic. Well done.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 10:36 AM   #148
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
Quote:

Shared attributes:
- work for men and women
- thin case
- robust and waterproof

- more dressy and formal

Solid analogy! Loved reading it. Blessed to own both and they have their own days!
Old 26 November 2022, 10:45 AM   #149
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I liked the black better overall, but if you’re using it to tell the time the white dial is far more legible.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 10:57 AM   #150
WatchExch.
"TRF" Member

I like the black the best. The monochrome look will get more wear

WatchExch. is offline   Reply With Quote