The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 November 2018, 08:00 AM   #91
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalin13 View Post
Personally though, I like Tudor's recent designs the most, they have stuck to a more tool watch like design, whereas the other two appears to be going for more a jewel like design. Checked out a 2018 SMP 300 lately, and it is a very shiny watch.
Very well said.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:06 AM   #92
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Nope. I'd rather have a Black Bay than a lot of Omegas though, and I bet Omega aren't too happy about them. Nor are Breitling or Panerai etc I'd guess. Particularly after this year's Basel World.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:17 AM   #93
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I agree with the others: Omega is above Tudor, imo. I think the brand is closer to Rolex in regards to overall quality of workmanship and advances in design and technology, although I'd still give the overall nod to Rolex. The problem I have with Omega is the tendency toward ephemera: they change their designs too frequently and too drastically, with too many stylistic flourishes intended to grab attention, rather than stand the test of time. Also, they put out way too many LEs and variants of their core watches. However, for the designs they nail, they're a great brand.
This is the best summary I've read regarding Omega.

My guess is that Rolex's structure (as charity) and the fact that Rolex just simply doesn't need to try as hard has a lot to do with why they don't need to do what Omega does (as the Rolex AD's display counters show).
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:26 AM   #94
|404|
Banned

Comparing Tudor and Omega is mad.

Omega have one of the best horological histories in the business. This is where Tudor cannot compete.

Even Rolex struggles horologically, Rolex just has too power a brand status in the luxury market. Omega arguably make watches just as well as Rolex, if not better.

But the power that the Rolex name has, the brand. That is something else, public perception of Rolex is just different...

It's not right, and you're kidding yourself if you think your Rolex is a better watch than the Omega. It objectively isn't.

Rolex marketing is just on point and has been for many many moons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UujLYCPZng - Check out this WF video :)
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:38 AM   #95
R G
Banned

Tudor on same level as omega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
Comparing Tudor and Omega is mad.

Omega have one of the best horological histories in the business. This is where Tudor cannot compete.

Even Rolex struggles horologically, Rolex just has too power a brand status in the luxury market. Omega arguably make watches just as well as Rolex, if not better.

But the power that the Rolex name has, the brand. That is something else, public perception of Rolex is just different...

It's not right, and you're kidding yourself if you think your Rolex is a better watch than the Omega. It objectively isn't.

Rolex marketing is just on point and has been for many many moons.

Couldn’t agree more.

The Rolex marketing machine just has people hooked in a way that Omega hasn’t.

I hope that with all this shit that people are facing when trying to buy a Rolex sports model, they look at Omega as an alternative.

I truly believe that some Omega pieces are better than certain Rolex models.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:45 AM   #96
williamstone
Banned

Omega is slightly on same level with Tudor. that slight difference is what makes Omega supreme here.
williamstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 08:46 AM   #97
|404|
Banned

All New Omega movements have a 15,000 guas anti magnetic protection too...
Even Rolex's anti-magnetic watch... the Milgaus only has 1,000 guas protection.

The 'problem' is summed up by this perfect quote on youtube.

Quote:
Joshua V
6 months ago
99.9 percent of people have literally zero idea of what makes a good watch. But nearly 100 percent of people know what a Rolex is. It's not just a watch, it's a watch for the rich and powerful. If you went to the poorest African village and asked what Coca Cola was they would tell you a drink. If you asked what a Rolex was they would tell you a watch. A watch worn by presidents and billionaires and dictators. It's a Rolex.
So you can spend 5,000 on a watch that 1 percent MIGHT know is a nice watch or 6,000 on a watch that EVERYONE will know is a nice watch. You might not personally want the baggage that having a rich mans watch gives you (douchebag, bragger, doesn't know how to spend his money) but there will always be a market for Rolex. It's the king, it's the "best" in most people's eyes and because of that it will sell forever.

I like Omega, my first real watch was the James Bond Goldeneye Omega Seamaster Quartz 41mm...
They will always hold a special place in my heart.

I like Rolex too...

But what put me off owning a Rolex for so long is a lot of the users / wearers. They think Rolex is something supremely special, and objectively they are not. But it does demonstrate how powerful the Rolex brand is. That is what you are buying when you buy a Rolex, like it or not.
Don't get me wrong there are some fantastic horological elements to Rolex. The reliability of their movements is fantastic. The service intervals etc etc. But Rolex are not game changers... they are very 'safe' watches... they don't push the boundaries. They always re-invent what has come before them.

Omega were once the king of the game for a reason, quartz crisis nearly killed them. They're still recovering now... that's why Rolex are the king now.
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 10:27 AM   #98
misterpeanut
"TRF" Member

Agree with the last few posts: Omega is a great watch brand with an amateur marketing department. They seem to be driving the train on the brand's direction (lots of LE's, odd brand ambassadors who are famous for being famous, constantly changing designs, etc.) and not the actual watch people.

Tudor may apply more slightly avant garde design principles than Rolex, but is guided by the steady hand of the company's overall marketing strategy.
misterpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:05 PM   #99
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpeanut View Post
Agree with the last few posts: Omega is a great watch brand with an amateur marketing department. They seem to be driving the train on the brand's direction (lots of LE's, odd brand ambassadors who are famous for being famous, constantly changing designs, etc.) and not the actual watch people.

Tudor may apply more slightly avant garde design principles than Rolex, but is guided by the steady hand of the company's overall marketing strategy.

Maybe this is why Tudor is picking up steam. Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 12:16 PM   #100
teabags001
Banned

Tudor on same level as omega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404| View Post
All New Omega movements have a 15,000 guas anti magnetic protection too...
Even Rolex's anti-magnetic watch... the Milgaus only has 1,000 guas protection.

The 'problem' is summed up by this perfect quote on youtube.

I like Omega, my first real watch was the James Bond Goldeneye Omega Seamaster Quartz 41mm...
They will always hold a special place in my heart.

I like Rolex too...

But what put me off owning a Rolex for so long is a lot of the users / wearers. They think Rolex is something supremely special, and objectively they are not. But it does demonstrate how powerful the Rolex brand is. That is what you are buying when you buy a Rolex, like it or not.
Don't get me wrong there are some fantastic horological elements to Rolex. The reliability of their movements is fantastic. The service intervals etc etc. But Rolex are not game changers... they are very 'safe' watches... they don't push the boundaries. They always re-invent what has come before them.

Omega were once the king of the game for a reason, quartz crisis nearly killed them. They're still recovering now... that's why Rolex are the king now.

I agree with almost all of what you said. I used to wear only JLC and I wore a beautiful master compressor chronograph on bracelet for years. Never had anyone mention it until dinner one day when someone said I had a nice Michael Kors watch. I didn’t even know what to say when he compared my $12k watch to a $200 watch. I’ve worked very hard in life to own my own businesses and to get where I am today. Not bragging but it sucked getting my watch compared to a MK quartz. So I looked at other brands and i ended back at Rolex. Why? Because it’s a watch when people see it they take you more seriously. Whether or not people admit it or not it’s nice to get noticed for your hard work and being in a place in life where you can afford a nice watch/car/house etc. But here is the thing. I know JLC is miles above Rolex horoligicaly. Even the fit and finish was above anything I saw on a Rolex. They even tested the watch for 1000 hours before releasing it and put a 24k stamp on the back of there watches. But for all that it to most of the world was just a MK or something similar. Rolex though through marketing is the king. What people strive their whole lives for. Just one. But we on TRF are different. We collect them as a hobby. I’m not ashamed to say I bought my Rolex for 2 reasons. Doesn’t lose much value and everyone knows it’s a Rolex. Even if omega is better then Rolex to 90 percent of the world Rolex is king. So I guess a better question would have been is Tudor and omega on the same brand level in non wis people’s minds.

Old 15 November 2018, 12:33 PM   #101
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nail Tech View Post
Omega is in another level to Tudor.

Check out their new seamaster 300m. It’s more superior than Pelagos.
Respectfully disagree on that front.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 02:02 PM   #102
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 2504.52
I think omega makes better watches horologically speaking. However, I have to echo what other have said here. Omega's movements are often too thick, the direction of the brand I question (trending towards fashion watches), the business model I question (exhausting amounts of LE's).

We live in a world that asks what have you done for me lately? And although I still think Omega makes a better watch, Tudor is answering that call lately.

I own both brands... But it's hard to compare them. I think the only fair comparison is comparing like price points. In which case I think it's closer than many think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SconnieBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 02:05 PM   #103
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Omega > Tudor

Tudor cases are more robust than Omega. Which in all fairness is a direct reflection of Rolexeses ethos.

Omega makes better, bands, bracelets, dials and movements. Which reflects the Swatch Group prestige brands ethos.

They’re both wonderful, and I own several from both makes.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 02:20 PM   #104
nick c
Banned

I’m sorry, but all omega watches are ugly. Tudor watches are much nicer.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 03:56 PM   #105
todd.hepburn
"TRF" Member

I don’t have an omega diver, but I do have a speedy and a black bay. I think you guys are nuts. The Tudor has much nicer finishing, bracelet, and keeps way better time. Maybe it’s just my model, but I find the speedy overvalued.

I’ve also looked st the 300 master and aqua terra gmt and find the same.
todd.hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 04:52 PM   #106
James444
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Found this on another forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 05:14 PM   #107
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James444 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If this is true I wonder Ho much this changes things. Yes like taking a crayon to the ins Lisa.

Old 15 November 2018, 05:31 PM   #108
JacksonStone
Banned

Did the person who posted that provide more context for that receipt? Perhaps you could provide a link.
Quote:

JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 05:41 PM   #109
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd.hepburn View Post
I don’t have an omega diver, but I do have a speedy and a black bay. I think you guys are nuts. The Tudor has much nicer finishing, bracelet, and keeps way better time. Maybe it’s just my model, but I find the speedy overvalued.

I’ve also looked st the 300 master and aqua terra gmt and find the same.
Which model Speedmaster?
Old 15 November 2018, 05:57 PM   #110
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post

There you have it everyone.

Nothing more to be said... ??
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 06:06 PM   #111
James444
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did the person who posted that provide more context for that receipt? Perhaps you could provide a link.
Found this on forums.watchuseek
Old 15 November 2018, 06:45 PM   #112
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Found this on forums.watchuseek
Link? Surely you can't expect us to hunt the entirety of WUS to find this one gem. I'd be interested in knowing the story behind this before jumping to conclusions about what it means.
Old 15 November 2018, 06:53 PM   #113
q8rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
agreed, Plus for the past 5,6 years Tudor is releasing some great watches.
q8rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:04 PM   #114
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
This photo has circulated for years. Its generally posted to knock Omega, but I have no background. I imagine that more than one guy ever bought an Omega 1/2 link though and there should be more receipts around.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:14 PM   #115
James444
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Link? Surely you can't expect us to hunt the entirety of WUS to find this one gem. I'd be interested in knowing the story behind this before jumping to conclusions about what it means.
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ge...a-1053699.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ju...na-918871.html
Old 15 November 2018, 07:19 PM   #116
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
If this is true I wonder Ho much this changes things. Yes like taking a crayon to the ins Lisa.

And what difference would say bracelet parts made in China how many of you guys have Iphones they are made in China.At one time Rolex bracelets were made in many parts of the world, as long as it's made to manufacturer spec what difference does it make.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:23 PM   #117
JacksonStone
Banned

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
This photo has circulated for years. Its generally posted to knock Omega, but I have no background. I imagine that more than one guy ever bought an Omega 1/2 link though and there should be more receipts around.
Yeah, you would think. Both of the threads James linked to are pretty old. Although they do point out the 50% Rule, which I'd forgotten about. Based on that, it's not completely unthinkable that Omega might be outsourcing some parts, as unfortunate as that may be.

Am I naive for thinking that Rolex doesn't, since they are reputed to make (nearly) everything themselves? What about Tudor?
Old 15 November 2018, 07:36 PM   #118
peterpl
Banned

The preconception of "Made in China" is also decades old now. China is manufacturing great items of very very high quality these days. I do ALOT of business from China and yes if you pay $2 you will get an item that is worth nothing and shoddy workmanship but if you pay luxury prices China can make items on par with any country in the world.

Surprising how many people's minds havent adapted to todays climate and economy.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 07:41 PM   #119
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
The preconception of "Made in China" is also decades old now. China is manufacturing great items of very very high quality these days. I do ALOT of business from China and yes if you pay $2 you will get an item that is worth nothing and shoddy workmanship but if you pay luxury prices China can make items on par with any country in the world.

Surprising how many people's minds havent adapted to todays climate and economy.
All well and good, but the Swiss watch companies put a lot of stock in their national label. If by law they had to label their watches ">50% Swiss Made," I don't imagine they'd like it too much. Why should we be OK with them using the "Swiss Made" label to conceal the origin of some of their parts, regardless of the quality of those parts?
Old 15 November 2018, 08:01 PM   #120
marcopolo05
"TRF" Member

I for one do not care but when you advertise the item as Swiss made I can understand the concern.

Apple at least are honest in their nonsense. Designed in California

But all this fuzz for a spare part seems over the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
And what difference would say bracelet parts made in China how many of you guys have Iphones they are made in China.At one time Rolex bracelets were made in many parts of the world, as long as it's made to manufacturer spec what difference does it make.
Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
marcopolo05 is offline   Reply With Quote