The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2021, 06:20 PM   #31
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Shocked you would even consider selling your Zenith Daytona, that’s a whole lot to give up for an Aquanaut of any kind…
KY.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 06:26 PM   #32
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
No

I don't like the Aquanaut (or the Daytona TBH) bit I do like the 14060M Sub and the Polar Explorer.
Old 4 December 2021, 07:51 PM   #33
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
most never owned one one always complain about the ONE he once owned mine is 20 plus years old and is a daily durable as a rolex get one wear it and the rolex will sit in the drawer mine do
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:52 PM   #34
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
Well, I have asked for advice, a handful of times, and I appreciate and value these responses. Thank you all for contributing - helps to settle it in my mind. While I may still try to hunt down an Aquanaut, it won't be via my Daytona or Sub.
While I’m all for consolidating for a special piece and do what will make you happy when looking at your wrist….I wouldn’t do that particular combination for a trade to PP. I think you’ve made a wise choice in that respect.
Speaking from experience on consolidating popular rolex models for a PP
(5712, 5990, etc…) I always found them beautiful, but for my lifestyle/taste, they were a bit delicate feeling compared to the Rolex pieces.
If you’re ok with that, then I’d say go for the trade, just not with the rolex you mentioned, like you said.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 09:56 PM   #35
RODODD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak 15450
No way. 5167 is overestimated, and has nothing really interesting in my opinion.
RODODD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:02 PM   #36
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
No, I would not. I don’t get the hype on the Aquanaut, it’s a weird looking watch imho.
Well hype sells watches today and many buy the hype or name on dial to wear it. Yes Patek make fine watches and movements, but just dont like there style in watches, and most certainly would not trade multiple watches for one.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:05 PM   #37
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I would sell off other stuff in your collection before sub/Daytona. I would also really ask if you love this. This is a”grail” that may leave you disappointed if you have admired in photos and thought but never actually handled one.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:41 PM   #38
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
No way I'd part with those. Especially the 16520 Zenith Daytona. It's a far superior watch in every regard in my opinion.
I had a 5167 and it was short lived in my collection.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:44 PM   #39
www777
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t. Have you tried the Patek on? I had one. It’s very nice at msrp.
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:47 PM   #40
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintstone View Post
Sell them ALL. Buy your grail PP and a Timex & call it a day.
The mass-produced PP will be boring to him as it is with myself and others after a few decades of collecting....

Without a doubt he needs to get something truly inspiring and of actual horological significance, not the 100,000th of something. This is where MB&F, perhaps their Thunderdome reference, comes into play as Büsser got two of his long-time friends to collaborate for the first time; the discreet Finnish master Kari Voutilainen and the inventive Eric Coudray. Plus far better finishing work, and a whole lot of creativity versus just another PP watch.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:48 PM   #41
Cru Jones

Definitely not for an Aquanaut….. (IMHO).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:22 PM   #42
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I consolidated a few years ago and one thing you may want to do is pick the 4 or so least worn and trade those towards a 5167 or whatever higher end watch you want. Doing it more on preference rather than value may mean you have to add more cash but you’d have a smaller collection of really special watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:36 PM   #43
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I’d suggest somewhere in between. First off my advice is always to isolate each watch separate of “the trade”. Go down the list. Your 216570… do you wear it, enjoy it, love it? If mostly no, then sell it. Gone. Next, your 16520… gift that to me? Sure, I’ll take it.

Lol, but you get the point. You don’t literally need to sell individual watches to raise fund for the PP but you should think of it that way. Don’t think of it as a comparison in watches. Decide which watches you no longer want move those and work towards getting the 5167.

As for what I meant by in between, maybe you move a couple but not all and go out of pocket for a portion. If you can float the money you can always decide later what has to go. You might be extremely grateful you didn’t get rid of that Daytona.

All that said, I completely understand where you’re coming from. In fact almost exactly one year ago I bought my 5167. I fished out 40k for mine which was a real hard pill to swallow, but like you it was a watch I always wanted and assumed I’d get to try one day. But as you know the window on what’s possibly to buy rapidly closes. I always thought I’d get a 5711 one day too. That ship has long sailed. I didn’t want to make that mistake with the 5167 so I said f*** it! No regrets at all. One of my all time favorites

Good luck!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:41 PM   #44
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’d rather own the PP. you def have enough to move to swap it. Probably keep the zenith and Pepsi all others can be used
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:48 AM   #45
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
most never owned one one always complain about the ONE he once owned mine is 20 plus years old and is a daily durable as a rolex get one wear it and the rolex will sit in the drawer mine do
Agree. The Aquanaut is perfection for me. Have done many sports and outdoor activities. No problems. Now down to one Rolex (from 7). I never bonded with the Daytona. Hard to read, no date.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:48 AM   #46
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5212a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I’d suggest somewhere in between. First off my advice is always to isolate each watch separate of “the trade”. Go down the list. Your 216570… do you wear it, enjoy it, love it? If mostly no, then sell it. Gone. Next, your 16520… gift that to me? Sure, I’ll take it.

Lol, but you get the point. You don’t literally need to sell individual watches to raise fund for the PP but you should think of it that way. Don’t think of it as a comparison in watches. Decide which watches you no longer want move those and work towards getting the 5167.

As for what I meant by in between, maybe you move a couple but not all and go out of pocket for a portion. If you can float the money you can always decide later what has to go. You might be extremely grateful you didn’t get rid of that Daytona.

All that said, I completely understand where you’re coming from. In fact almost exactly one year ago I bought my 5167. I fished out 40k for mine which was a real hard pill to swallow, but like you it was a watch I always wanted and assumed I’d get to try one day. But as you know the window on what’s possibly to buy rapidly closes. I always thought I’d get a 5711 one day too. That ship has long sailed. I didn’t want to make that mistake with the 5167 so I said f*** it! No regrets at all. One of my all time favorites

Good luck!
This is a good way to think about it. Thanks for your insight!
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Aboutderntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:53 AM   #47
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The 5167 really is not worth the current pre-owned price in terms of build, so I personally would not do the trade.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:25 AM   #48
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
If you prefer it.

I once traded three JLCs that I was not wearing for a PP 5119.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 05:29 AM   #49
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
So trade two icons of sport watches for a watch pretending to be one sorry. No dice. I love PP heritage and their dress watches and chronos. But they have no heritage or history as actual sport watches, they were manufactured to be sport watches likely to accommodate more casual styles. They are insignificant in that sense. The sub and gmt have been worn by people doing and living history the PP by the spectators of history. It’s also not particularly appealing stylistically aside from having PP on the dial. I mean to each his own, and it’s your call. Rolex can’t compete with PP on finishing and the prettiness of the movements, but PP cannot compete with Rolex in sport watches. It’s in Rolex dna from the beginning.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 05:43 AM   #50
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
While I’m all for consolidating for a special piece and do what will make you happy when looking at your wrist….I wouldn’t do that particular combination for a trade to PP. I think you’ve made a wise choice in that respect.
Speaking from experience on consolidating popular rolex models for a PP
(5712, 5990, etc…) I always found them beautiful, but for my lifestyle/taste, they were a bit delicate feeling compared to the Rolex pieces.
If you’re ok with that, then I’d say go for the trade, just not with the rolex you mentioned, like you said.
Thanks Richard.
You posted your experience when I was asking about the VC Overseas, YM42, Aquanaut and AP diver. Sounds like the YM42 was your favorite. Do you think adding an Aquanaut would be duplicative if I were to keep the YM42? I've read about about the delicacy of the Aquanaut in comparison, and in theory, I'd want to add it to the collection without parting ways with the YM42. The YM42 is probably my favorite day to day watch. Thanks!
Rolex GMT Master II “Pepsi” (126710BLRO), Rolex Daytona (116519), Rolex Explorer (214270), Rolex SkyDweller mint green (336934), Rolex Submariner (124060), Rolex Submariner “Hulk” (116610LV), Omega Seamaster Diver 300M, Patek Philippe Calatrava (6119r), Patek Philippe Weekly Calendar (5212a), Vacheron Constantine Overseas Black (4500V)
Old 5 December 2021, 06:54 AM   #51
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboutderntime View Post
Thanks Richard.
You posted your experience when I was asking about the VC Overseas, YM42, Aquanaut and AP diver. Sounds like the YM42 was your favorite. Do you think adding an Aquanaut would be duplicative if I were to keep the YM42? I've read about about the delicacy of the Aquanaut in comparison, and in theory, I'd want to add it to the collection without parting ways with the YM42. The YM42 is probably my favorite day to day watch. Thanks!
Well I could go into a long spiel about PP versus rolex… But I’ll save that lengthy conversation for another time.
In short… There is no way I would have that particular Patek over, or instead of, the YM 42
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 09:03 AM   #52
mathurss
"TRF" Member

I like the 5164 better than the 5167 and it was offered to me at 28k. That times have changed!

That said, no way would I do this trade ever! I think this trade is unbalanced but it will be less so after prices pullback. Do it then and you can probably save one of your Rolexes.

mathurss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:16 PM   #53
lacroix
"TRF" Member

This is a tough one but for me personally, I would do it
lacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:19 PM   #54
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by www777 View Post
I wouldn’t. Have you tried the Patek on? I had one. It’s very nice at msrp.
Accurate!!!
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:21 PM   #55
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well hype sells watches today and many buy the hype or name on dial to wear it. Yes Patek make fine watches and movements, but just dont like there style in watches, and most certainly would not trade multiple watches for one.
Agree!! Make sure you really like this style. Very different than Rolex.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:48 PM   #56
Aboutderntime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRONOLEX View Post
Agree!! Make sure you really like this style. Very different than Rolex.
I find this issue to be challenging in the world of high-end watches. I don't live in a major city and have to travel a couple hours to visit a Patek or AP AD. Even so, the watches aren't available to handle as we all know. These watches are always different "in the metal" so it is a bit of a gamble to bite without seeing one in person.
Old 5 December 2021, 03:30 PM   #57
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
In scrubs ? Lots of metal in a hospital ,that brushed finished bezel on the PP is going to take a hammering .Always been the suspect part on the Aquanaut.
116610LN and 116660 mostly do that duties .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 03:53 PM   #58
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
For a PP grand complication, yes. For an Aquanaut, no.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 04:16 PM   #59
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Close decision, the pieces on the table are solid choices and could easily be missed if you let the, go.

That said the 5167 is among the most legible watches made vs the zenith which is among the absolute worst. I basically have both (white zenith and 5164) now and they are both on the way out of my collection shortly.

5167 is an easy watch to wear. The only quibble I had with it was the clasp was a bit chunky relative to the watch.
Old 5 December 2021, 04:21 PM   #60
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
I don’t think I could part with all these watches just for one. I’d rather just buy the aquanaut for an inflated price than ti miss my collection.

boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote