The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 December 2021, 04:48 PM   #31
Switch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Historically watches go to sons since watches are considered mens jewelry, while daughters had precious metal and stones in the form of rings, ear rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. Obviously an antiquated concept, though you seldom find a lot of men wearing 2ct+ diamond rings.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 04:49 PM   #32
Jaypremium
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I supposed all my wife's watches will be passed down to my daughter eventually.

Attachment 1258678

Awesome collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jaypremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:10 PM   #33
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Passing Down Watches To The Next Generation - What About Daughters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobee View Post
Does one of your daughter have an interest in your watches? If not maybe you will share this passion to the next generation. If these items are important as a sign of legacy you can make it clear it has to remain in your direct lineal descendance.

My daughters are too young. Oldest is 3 years old and commented on my red gshock but that’s about it lol.
Old 4 December 2021, 05:19 PM   #34
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypremium View Post
Awesome collection!

Thanks buddy
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 05:54 PM   #35
28mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Historically watches go to sons since watches are considered mens jewelry, while daughters had precious metal and stones in the form of rings, ear rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. Obviously an antiquated concept, though you seldom find a lot of men wearing 2ct+ diamond rings.
In that vein of thought and taking it a step further, years ago I was told by an older woman very elegant former model, "Ladies don't wear watches"..

The way she said it and knowing who she is made me think more on it and indeed she was way off base as women (not necessarily ladies?) wore watches more than men, in fact almost exclusively. Men used pocket watches up until the early part of the 20th century. In fact everyone wore a watch! No cell phones!

But since I liked the quote and the woman who said it, I've repeated it to my fiance and to my daughters.

Surprisingly and maybe since I said it with authority (and none of them really like or wear a watch), they accepted this declaration as if it's true.

Meanwhile my fiancee quickly said, "you're right, this lady wears Cartier Love Bracelets and Hermes.

So short story is next time keep my opinion to myself!
Old 4 December 2021, 06:14 PM   #36
J97
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
When I die all my belongings are to be placed in a cornucopia a la Hunger Games and my family can fight for the spoils.

My son is stronger than my daughter but she is faster...

Haha

J97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 06:21 PM   #37
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
We have a slightly different situation with leaving watches to my daughter.

There is a reasonable chance they will identify as / trans to some degree to a boy when they are older. Definitely picked up my love of watches and has good collection already for a 14 year old. I know they will end up with my Sub, Speedy, my Dad's and Grandad's old watches and probably my Certinas. Now if they could!

The difference is that they may not end up interested in my wife's watches, unless it's just for sentimental reasons.
Old 4 December 2021, 08:56 PM   #38
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

The problem with my watches is that they are generally more masculine and not something my daughter would like. Plus my daughter is only 5’4” and about 110 lbs. I doubt her wrist size is any larger than 6”.

She has nothing to worry about though, because when we eventually pass away, she’ll have a very nice inheritance passed down to her, including my wife’s 34mm OP.

My son will get all my watches.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:10 PM   #39
skipstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: My first, Sub Date
My current plan and my wife is aware of this so hopefully it gets followed through with.
My son (1st born) gets 1st choice. My daughter gets 2nd choice and then the 1st grandchild gets the next pick. After that I am sure my wife will make wise decisions with the rest.
Old 4 December 2021, 10:39 PM   #40
brian628
"TRF" Member

The last thing my son or daughter wants is any of dad's stuff, including watches, cars, condos, or otherwise. Of course they'd love cash money. lol, who doesn't. But sentimentality isn't our thing.

Since I'll be dead, I could care less who gets what or what happens to anything I used to own. My plan, if I can executed it successfully, is to live a happy and healthy life and spend money on watches or beach vacations or anything else I want to waste money on while I still have the chance... then kick the bucket with my very last dollar bill still in my pocket, owing nothing to anybody.

I didn't work to to accumulate wealth to give it to anyone - the government, heirs, etc. I've done my best to give my kids every opportunity to become successful ON THEIR OWN and buy their own watches -- or anything else they want --- on their own.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I try never ask for anything from anyone -- other than a chance to work hard and achieve my goals and teach my kids to do the same.
brian628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:58 PM   #41
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Too late.

My daughter loves watches. Our AD is very accomodating of her. She has good taste. Here is she getting to know one she was initially apprehensive of.

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:15 PM   #42
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Not knowing when, where or how I will go, I would prefer to let my children choose a watch or two long before that date if possible. The rest will be sold, if I can, and the money divided.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:15 PM   #43
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
No daughters, no grand children, just two sons who have become WIS as adults and who will be extremely happy with not only my collection but also my wife’s…and like 1William, I may gift a few of them while I’m still here…
Old 4 December 2021, 11:23 PM   #44
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
My daughters have caught Rolexitis from me. The younger one just turned 21 and got a 36m Pink OP from our fanatic AD/SA. The 30 year old is waiting for hers. Both have laid claim to my watches. The young one absolutely wants the Hulk, the older one wants the the white Daytona. No interest in my Fat Lady, BLNR or 5513. Younger one likes my vintage speedmaster but only on bracelet, hates it on the nato strap.

Pretty confident they would keep them and not give to any male companion. At least I’ll make them swear on a bible!! And of course they get all of their mom’s watches which has grown into a nice collection.

I think engraving the back when the time comes is a good idea for several reasons.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:24 PM   #45
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I chose an OP39 for our first daughter and a Cartier for our second (she’s 12 days old now) I was wearing each when they were born

Had the OP engraved, the Cartier will be soon

Love this so much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:26 PM   #46
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
PS: Great thread got me all sentimental and started thinking of what I would say/ engrave on my watches. It warms my heart that my girls want to share my passion.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:29 PM   #47
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiat0r View Post
My jewelry goes to son
Wife’s jewelry goes to daughter.
Or they can just combine it and sell it all off.
My plan as well.
Old 4 December 2021, 11:30 PM   #48
Mrhenish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I supposed all my wife's watches will be passed down to my daughter eventually.

Attachment 1258678
Great collection Ichiran. Only daughters for me so they will split the watches luckily nothing is big 5905P is the largest one. When I buy something I do think about when I would give it to one of them and want it to fit them
Mrhenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:38 PM   #49
rlj676
"TRF" Member

I got a DJ41 fluted/jubilee/Wimbledon to mark the birth of my daughter and a black Daytona for my son a few months ago. The plan is they get them somewhere between 18 and my death.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 11:59 PM   #50
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhenish View Post
Great collection Ichiran. Only daughters for me so they will split the watches luckily nothing is big 5905P is the largest one. When I buy something I do think about when I would give it to one of them and want it to fit them
Thanks! The 5905P is a very cool watch to pass on!
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:34 AM   #51
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjay82 View Post
Love this so much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:36 AM   #52
Ferrari308
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,GMT,Sub,DJ
I actually bought three Rolexes to pass to my three kids. I hope for more as I can get them, but as it stands now.

My oldest daughter would get my 1961 OP - 34mm - an understated piece (or its replacement if I sell it and get a Datejust)

My son wants my 1990 Sub 16610

My youngest daughter (currently 5) would get my 2021 TT Daytona.

Initially I was going to leave my son the Daytona, but he absolutely loves the Sub, so working on writing out my wishes at this point. Daughters get my watches, not their husbands or boyfriends. AND they have to pass them to one of my direct grandkids, and so on. I don't want them to sell them. I worked hard to get to this point and that's just how I want it.

My son will get my Ferrari though.

PDG
Ferrari308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:48 AM   #53
dwelling seas
"TRF" Member

daugthers not interested in my watches
son moderately interested, but not so much
dwelling seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 02:04 AM   #54
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsol View Post
Why do you think that ? I'm a lady and I have a better watch collection of all sizes than any man in my family.

Take it easy, I said it may be likely, there's always exceptions.

Simple answer is they're men's sized watches. I would love to give my daughter my JC and SD43...is there a chance she will appreciate and maybe wear them? Sure but more likely it'll get sold or the other scenario mentioned.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:39 AM   #55
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
My 11 year old daughter is into my watch collection more than my 15 year old son. She has already called dibs on my CHNR. I think the CHNR looks super sexy on my wife and suits females quite well… I’m assuming my son with age will appreciate watches when he gets older and we’ll see what he wants. I’ll definitely make it clear that they have to stay in the family tho, otherwise I’ll blow the dough myself before I croak
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:07 AM   #56
Gobee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
My daughters are too young. Oldest is 3 years old and commented on my red gshock but that’s about it lol.
A little early to know her interes. Maybe next year or in two years when she will have the notion of time you can have her hoose her first watch.
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:25 AM   #57
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Skip the daughters , they are getting my properties . I have four grandchildren and they are getting my Rolexes ,whether they want them or not .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:28 AM   #58
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
One of my daughters really likes my white Explorer II and wears it from time-to-time.

Her issue is that she doesn't wear a watch consistently, so anything without a battery is always dead when she decides to put it on.

She will wear the Exp II for a few days, then put it down where it runs down, then return it to me when she thinks about it, until next time.
Old 5 December 2021, 09:38 AM   #59
mathurss
"TRF" Member

I’ve got two daughters and a son. Who knows if they will have an interest but I’m trying to foster it (give them my seiko monster in the bath all the time).

I’ve got a BLNR, a Milgauss GV and hoping for one more so they can all have one. Not sure what the last one will be but leaning sub.

A few years ago, I sat near a woman on an airplane wearing an all gold GMT LN. It looked great on her so I’m not worried about 40 mm being too large. The weight could be an issue but if you’re a woman who wears heels then you’re tough enough to wear a mechanical watch lol!

mathurss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 08:20 PM   #60
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
your son in law will be wearing your watch or watches you handed down
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote