The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22 August 2018, 04:22 AM   #1
Maybelline
Banned

So I’m 49 and retired and I’m tired of .....

Answering to people why I don’t work.

I guess this is sort of a rant/ebrag thread but bare with me.

I started working in my fathers business at 16 as soon as I got my drivers license and did deliveries after school.

In the summers I worked full time and then upon graduating from high school my father insisted that I attend college because I was a straight A student and didn’t have to work for it.

I attended Boston college and upon completion I went back into the family business where I continued to work until this past May. Basically 35 years and the only job I ever had.

To make a long story short my father and I accepted a generous offer to sell the business. The new company paid about 50% more than the business was worth and they knew that going in but that was our asking price.
So at that point at 49 I’m officially retired. I have a non compete clause and that is fine by me.

Never had kids and wife is a Chief Risk Officer at a prestigious company in Boston and also a part time professor at Northeastern university. Money is not an issue.

After a few months of doing nothing I took a part time job out of boredom. I thought about volunteering my time but a great job came up. I am a concierge driver for a local Range Rover / Jaguar dealer. I work Monday Wednesday and Fridays from 10-6. I love the job and my coworkers. I don’t make much money but that’s not why I took it.

To get to my point. I look much younger than I am. Maybe early to mid 30’s. I work out even more than ever and with my crew cut I look like a boy.
I am so sick and tired of explaining to people why don’t I work anymore. People seem to actually get mad a me for not having to suffer like they do.

I chose to work hard for 35 years. I chose to invest my money wisely. I chose to not waste money on stupid things. I chose to not have kids. (No offense to those that do). And I chose to retire and work an easy part time job.

Today I got up at 8:30. Made my breakfast. Went to the gym and trained for 90 minutes. Made my lunch and am now at the movies by myself getting ready to see Alpha.

If this makes you mad I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can do about your jealousy.
Maybe you should have worked harder and saved more.

Sorry if I’ve come across as pompous it’s just I’ve never been happier and am proud of myself.
/rant.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:24 AM   #2
MonBK
Banned

Welcome to the club.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:25 AM   #3
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Welcome to the club.
This is the GOAT club.

Greatest
Of
All
Time.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:28 AM   #4
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I'm 75 and worked at a profession I loved for over 44 years. I don't do much of anything and love being retired. Our kids are grown (47 and 43), we have two beautiful grandaughters, and travel a fair amount.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 22 August 2018, 04:29 AM   #5
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
If you work 3 days a week you’re not retired so what’s the issue?

Just my view but your post seems unusual.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:31 AM   #6
Maybelline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
If you work 3 days a week you’re not retired so what’s the issue?

Just my view but your post seems unusual.
Ok.

I make $14 an hour. If you think that can pay the bills then I must have done something incredibly wrong.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:35 AM   #7
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

OP, I can’t decide whether you should be congratulated, commiserated with or ignored. I find this post very strange. Anyway, if you’re happy that’s all that counts.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:36 AM   #8
Beo3
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many
I too am retired at 50. I do work a little at my leisure, get paid very well for it, and enjoy being out of the house.
When people ask me what I do, I just say "I consult" (which isn't truthfully) and leave it at that.
Enjoy your life, it doesn't last for ever......
Old 22 August 2018, 04:37 AM   #9
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
Ok.

I make $14 an hour. If you think that can pay the bills then I must have done something incredibly wrong.
there are plenty of folks in this country that in fact have to pay their bills on a number like that. You do come across as a pompous
Old 22 August 2018, 04:38 AM   #10
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:

I started working in my fathers business at 16 as soon as I got my drivers license and did deliveries after school.

In the summers I worked full time and then upon graduating from high school my father insisted that I attend college because I was a straight A student and didn’t have to work for it.

I attended Boston college and upon completion I went back into the family business where I continued to work until this past May. Basically 35 years and the only job I ever had.

To make a long story short my father and I accepted a generous offer to sell the business. The new company paid about 50% more than the business was worth and they knew that going in but that was our asking price.
So at that point at 49 I’m officially retired. I have a non compete clause and that is fine by me.

Never had kids and wife is a Chief Risk Officer at a prestigious company in Boston and also a part time professor at Northeastern university. Money is not an issue.

After a few months of doing nothing I took a part time job out of boredom. I thought about volunteering my time but a great job came up. I am a concierge driver for a local Range Rover / Jaguar dealer. I work Monday Wednesday and Fridays from 10-6. I love the job and my coworkers. I don’t make much money but that’s not why I took it.

To get to my point. I look much younger than I am. Maybe early to mid 30’s. I work out even more than ever and with my crew cut I look like a boy.
I am so sick and tired of explaining to people why don’t I work anymore. People seem to actually get mad a me for not having to suffer like they do.

I chose to work hard for 35 years. I chose to invest my money wisely. I chose to not waste money on stupid things. I chose to not have kids. (No offense to those that do). And I chose to retire and work an easy part time job.

Today I got up at 8:30. Made my breakfast. Went to the gym and trained for 90 minutes. Made my lunch and am now at the movies by myself getting ready to see Alpha.

Sorry if I’ve come across as pompous it’s just I’ve never been happier and am proud of myself.
/rant.
That's hilarious, thanks I needed that.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:41 AM   #11
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
Ha! This sounds like my life. I “retired” in my late 40s (same situation; living off of investments). I took a part time “fun” job after a few months of traveling. I work 2-3 days a week doing something I like.
My wife chooses to work full time even though she doesn’t have to, but, sometimes I do feel guilty/sense some jealousy that I’ll fib and say I went to work (in my defense these are days I’ll pay the bills and manage my investments—albeit, it’s only 2-3 hours of work).
Old 22 August 2018, 04:41 AM   #12
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
there are plenty of folks in this country that in fact have to pay their bills on a number like that. You do come across as a pompous
Very pompous to be honest. For some reason he feels the need to boast that he can retire at 49. I don’t think anyone cares.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:42 AM   #13
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

congrats! I also enjoy retirement at an early age.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:47 AM   #14
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
so,are you single ? Because if you are maybe it's time to find someone you can share your happiness with.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:50 AM   #15
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
How about buying a pledge membership, and helping out the forum. Just sayin...
Old 22 August 2018, 04:51 AM   #16
tbonesteak
"TRF" Member

Watch: me go broke!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
Very pompous to be honest. For some reason he feels the need to boast that he can retire at 49. I don’t think anyone cares.
Agreed, not sure what he is looking for in this post, pretty obnoxious :shrugs:

I worked for my family business which was bought and I retired...

Congrats OP, you did it
Old 22 August 2018, 04:51 AM   #17
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
what an odd post.

you are annoyed at something, so you call attention to it, to people that would likely never ever ask.

and then you say, sorry if this makes you mad and then you call people jealous??

you get annoyed that people ask you and you get to tell everyone your favorite story?? Or you love that people ask you and you get to tell people your favorite story??

I mean after all, you are part of the self described GOAT club.

I could psycho analyze this post for days.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 22 August 2018, 04:52 AM   #18
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

I see your point in having to explain it, but you do come off as kind of pompous; yes.

Also going to the movies by yourself is a really sad sad thing to do.

If you're so financially endowed...go get yourself a nice 85" LED TV and speakers. Maybe audiophile can be your next hobby.
Old 22 August 2018, 04:55 AM   #19
JoeG74536
"TRF" Member

Are you bragging or complaining ?
Old 22 August 2018, 04:58 AM   #20
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
I see your point in having to explain it, but you do come off as kind of pompous; yes.

If you're so financially endowed...go get yourself a nice 85" LED TV and speakers. Maybe audiophile can be your next hobby.
2x. When you’re “retired” and your friends are not, it does get lonely. This was a big reason of why I went back to work/volunteer work. It’s all about balance...a little bit of work, exercise, learning how to cook meals, etc...
Old 22 August 2018, 04:59 AM   #21
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Uhhhhh

Old 22 August 2018, 05:03 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

well, it has been a while since we have seen a train wreck type thread.

I think this will be locked pretty fast. Or it is going to devolve into something pretty ugly.

Old 22 August 2018, 05:06 AM   #23
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonesteak View Post

I worked for my family business which was bought and I retired...

Congrats OP, you did it

I was kind of thinking the same thing.

But in all seriousness, don't mind me, I am just pissed that I will most likely never be able to retire, let alone at 49.
Old 22 August 2018, 05:06 AM   #24
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Get used to it, I retired at 36 and then began to travel extensively. I still get all kinds of crazy comments and questions when I say I am retired. I took on some part time work over the years when I got bored, but nothing worked out as co workers were usually jealous of my schedule and lifestyle. I now do real estate investment/sales for myself and that seems to be perfect. I keep myself entertained and don't have to deal with co workers. Good luck!
Old 22 August 2018, 05:08 AM   #25
gettocard
Banned

Watch: them come and go..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
I

This.

I did not find his post that pompous,but that's why I said maybe it's time for him to find someone to share his life with.
I mean,going to the movies alone was cool in my late 20ies or early 30ies,but at 49 I think it would be sad,or at least something you don't have to brag about on a forum.
Old 22 August 2018, 05:12 AM   #26
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

/rant.
Wow.... Enjoy that movie by yourself.
Old 22 August 2018, 05:18 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Wow.... Enjoy that movie by yourself.
but there is a thread now so we all can enjoy this movie and we dont even have to go alone

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 August 2018, 05:22 AM   #28
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Maybelline... May I, without offense?

If you are going to the movies alone, why don't you please contact a residential facility, get the clearance, and take a senior citizen with you?
People who live alone in managed care buildings, who are still independent and mobile, would love to "go and do" once in awhile. Many live there with no children, or children not available to do activities with them.

Seniors are so interesting, have wonderful stories to tell. It could enrich your life in your very spare time.

DM
Old 22 August 2018, 05:22 AM   #29
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

FWIW, I used to LOVE going to the movies alone. LOVED IT.

I loved and still love bringing a book to a bar alone too.

And I would absolutely LOVE it if I could say to everyone, "I hit pretty good, I got lucky in life, and I am retired". End of story.

Can't imagine how that could possibly bother anyone.

Old 22 August 2018, 05:23 AM   #30
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Maybelline... May I, without offence?

If you are going to the movies alone, why don't you please contact a residential facility, get the clearance, and take a senior citizen with you.
People who live alone in managed care buildings, who are still independent and mobile, would love to "go and do" once in awhile. Many live there with no children, or children not available to do activities with them.

Seniors are so interesting, have wonderful stories to tell. It would enrich your life in your very spare time.

DM
As long as he pays for the ticket he can take me.
Closed Thread