The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 June 2007, 10:53 PM   #31
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Larry (Tools) posted this pic of his Rapid-Wind MK 3000. A perfect gift for the man in a hurry, it will fully wind a run down Rolex in 3 microseconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subscrubA.jpg (85.0 KB, 74 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 11:20 PM   #32
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
Larry (Tools) posted this pic of his Rapid-Wind MK 3000. A perfect gift for the man in a hurry, it will fully wind a run down Rolex in 3 microseconds.
...and stir the batter for the cake at the same time!
Old 27 June 2007, 12:04 AM   #33
Chris B
"TRF" Member

Great pics guys, so funny.

I remember speaking to the service guy at RSC Bexley who said that winders are boon as an auto watch would work to its optimum performance being fully wound,.

So much conflicting information all of which sound feasible, perhaps there isn't a definitive answer either way, if it feels good just do it
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 02:35 AM   #34
rongmt
"TRF" Member

Cheeeep winder

I bought a cheap 2-position winder from Amazon that is very quiet and very good. I have it so that I can grab a watch and run. Luckily I only have 3

"New Improved Double automatic watch winder with built in MULTI SETTING
SMART IC TIMER" from Watch Pavilion @ $49.95
2007 TT Sub (Z) with slate Serti dial
2004 Breitling Emergency Ti w/Blue dial and co-pilot module
rongmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 08:53 AM   #35
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut View Post
Here's a question that occured to me while reading these posts. I personally use a winder on my DJ while wearing my Sub. Why an RSC would say this causes more wear than constant wearing I don't understand. What I wonder is, suppose you let your watch run down regularly and have to reset the date and time every time you want to wear it. If the watch happened to run down while in the process of rolling over the date would'nt you cause damage to the changing mechanism by resetting it at that time? Just a thought.

There would be no damage if you just advance the hands (crown in the last position). Then you turn the hands well of 2 o' clock (say 6 o' clock). At that time, you can adjust the date.

You can read a more thourough decription on it that I made (see the FAQ ("Winding setting your watch etc").

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 01:48 PM   #36
waltk1026
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 5513
I ordered a "1 watch" watch winder last year on line for $100, it works on AC and also built in rechargeable batteries.
waltk1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 02:35 PM   #37
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
This is just another discussion that prompts me to believe that I may be destined to be a one watch man. If you subscribe to the theory that machinery is made to be run then having multiple of anything is bad. I have too many vehicles so some are not driven. If you feel you should start one every so often then it should be driven long and far enough to dry out the exhaust system, etc or you'll be replacing mufflers, pipes, etc all the time. It becomes a chore and takes some of the fun out of having them. a friend of mine had a Corvette that he used as a work car. Daily driver, lots of miles but probably enjoyed the car more than I ever would have. Now that I have a new Sub and a new DJ I'm thinking I was happier when I just had my old Pre-owned GMT and wore it constantly. Just MHO.
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 02:49 PM   #38
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut View Post
If you subscribe to the theory that machinery is made to be run then having multiple of anything is bad.
I recently had a discussion with the watchmaker who does the service and repairs on most of my watches. He's an older European gentleman who knows his craft. I asked him about a new winding key for my 1860's vintage chain fusee pocket watch and his reply was simple. "Why would you want to stress a 150 year old machine? Give it 2 or 3 winds every couple of months or so to admire it if you have to, but in the meantime enjoy it for what it is." Hmmm.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg al fusee 3.JPG (63.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg als fusee 1.JPG (76.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg als fusee 2.JPG (68.9 KB, 37 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote