The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 June 2007, 03:58 AM   #1
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
Servicing question.....

Ok, I'm a cheap b'st@rd (I know it is a basic contradiction of having a Rolex and being cheap). I have a 2000 SD that I would like to have serviced. I've found a local (relatively speaking) watchmaker that offers a cleaning service for $339. I can hand deliver (big plus) the watch and this is one of my desires.

Here is what they offer.
  • Disassemble
  • Clean
  • Lubricate
  • Adjust Timing
  • Replacement of all case gaskets
  • Waterproof sealing and testing of water integrity to 3 atmospheres of the case (where applicable)
  • Cases and bands cleaned and refinished
  • Full one year warranty on parts and labor.
  • Only Genuine Parts are used in the repair of Rolex watch movements.

The watch maker is Minor Jewelry in Nashville. My buddy who has had a couple watches appraised and tested there thinks they will do a very competent job of taking care of the watch. He stated that local aftermarket Rolex dealers send their watches to this guy for work.

Even this low amount requires that I save a little so I can pay for that so I have time. The watch is running a tad fast (which is normal for right wrist) +5 sec/day. So this is not an issue. I just want to do some preventive maintenance.

Thoughts about whether I should go Rolex or local? TIA

Mitch
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Mennald
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I prefer to go with the RSC. This way I know that a Rolex factory trained individual is working on my watch and that the parts used are genuine Rolex.

116300, 116333, 116334, 116400V, 116520, 116610LV, 116610LN, 116710, 116718, 218239, PAM 90, 126600
Mennald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:15 AM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennald View Post
I prefer to go with the RSC. This way I know that a Rolex factory trained individual is working on my watch and that the parts used are genuine Rolex.
What's the going rate for a service form an RSC these days anyway?
Old 26 June 2007, 10:16 AM   #4
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
What's the going rate for a service form an RSC these days anyway?
$470 to $500 or so. One year international warranty.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 02:56 PM   #5
syahriltaher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Hi,

I prefer to postpone the service until 1-2 years, if there is nothing wrong with your watch so you can save some money then send the watch to RSC. The price difference between RSC and local watch maker would be around 20-25%, but you will be sure that the parts to be used are all original (+ 1 year international Rolex warranty)...

Good luck,
- Rolex RG Daytona 116505 - Rolex SS Submariner "Hulk" - Rolex SS Sky Dweller "Black Dial" - Rolex SS GMT Master II 16710 "Coke" - Rolex GMT Master II CHNR "Rootbeer" TT - Rolex SS Daytona Ceramic 116500LN "Black Dial" - Rolex 126710 "New Batman" 2022 - Rolex SS/WG Datejust 41 126334 "Blue Roman" - Panerai "PAM 88" GMT - Omega New Moonwatch 3861
syahriltaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
If it were me I would spend the extra for the RSC. I like to save money too but on my Rolex watches I don't mind paying extra for peace of mind.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 04:29 PM   #7
John Ireland
"TRF" Member

Buy cheap and pay twice...that's the old expression among

Ferrari owners. Let's not say you're cheap, let's just say that money doesn't grow on trees for you and you want to spend it wisely. This independent watchmaker may be as honest as the day is long and twice as skillful.

I just had my 1570 Rolex OP serviced at Rolex SC in Beverly Hills. The basic full service was $495 plus sales tax. A winding crown (18k) was $39 and the case tube was $15. So the total including 8.5% sales tax was $595.67.

By going to the independent watchmaker you will save $256.67.

By going to Rolex you will know everything was done perfectly, no corners cut, and with a warranty Rolex will honor anywhere in the world.

By going to the independent you will get your Sea Dweller (a watch used for deep deep deep diving) certified to be water tight to only 3 atmosphers, about what a snap back watch is good for. That isn't Rolex standards.

So I must ask, what other corners were cut to save you $256...and still turn a profit for the independent dealer?

There is no such thing as a free lunch. I promise you that if you send it to the independent, when it comes back you'll be worrying about it every time you pick up a glass of water. You'll be kicking yourself everytime you start to worry if something isn't right.

I promise you that if you wait until you can afford it, and then you send it to Rolex, when it comes back, you will have 100% confidence that your watch is as good as the day it first left the factory.

Again...this nice independent might be as honest as the day is long...but... you get what you pay for.

My two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRonin View Post
Ok, I'm a cheap bastard (I know it is a basic contradiction of having a Rolex and being cheap). I have a 2000 SD that I would like to have serviced. I've found a local (relatively speaking) watchmaker that offers a cleaning service for $339. I can hand deliver (big plus) the watch and this is one of my desires.

Here is what they offer.
  • Disassemble
  • Clean
  • Lubricate
  • Adjust Timing
  • Replacement of all case gaskets
  • Waterproof sealing and testing of water integrity to 3 atmospheres of the case (where applicable)
  • Cases and bands cleaned and refinished
  • Full one year warranty on parts and labor.
  • Only Genuine Parts are used in the repair of Rolex watch movements.

The watch maker is Minor Jewelry in Nashville. My buddy who has had a couple watches appraised and tested there thinks they will do a very competent job of taking care of the watch. He stated that local aftermarket Rolex dealers send their watches to this guy for work.

Even this low amount requires that I save a little so I can pay for that so I have time. The watch is running a tad fast (which is normal for right wrist) +5 sec/day. So this is not an issue. I just want to do some preventive maintenance.

Thoughts about whether I should go Rolex or local? TIA

Mitch
John Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 05:22 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well its swings and roundabouts its not rocket science to service any Rolex watch.And as long as watchmaker has a parts account then it should not be a problem.But for a full service like case bracelet refurbish Rolex is the daddy in this department,and IMO none better.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 08:28 PM   #9
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

I think you should go to rsc , they can do the same and it's done by rolex
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Julian,Sea Dweller

Watch: TOG/SD/SUB/LANGE 1
I had my 10 year old Sea Dweller serviced last year in London for £200. approx $400 .
Julian,Sea Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote