The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 June 2007, 10:01 AM   #1
World Map

Icon3 Selling B share Mutual Fund to purchase dream Rolex Watch.

This appears to be a golden opportunity to purchase my dream watch. An 18Karat yellow gold Mens Day-Date Presidential Rolex. The trouble I am having is breaking one investment to purchase another. Will this watch be an investment? I am purchasing it from a AD in Las Vegas and my offer will be $14,450.00. The watch is brand new. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!
World Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:03 AM   #2
walds11
"TRF" Member

No. I would not sell my investments for a watch. Well, I might sell just a little to lock in some gains and buy...? :)
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Oyster Lover
"TRF" Member

Sure, go ahead and buy it if it will make you happy!

All of us are forgoing investments when we're laying down the moolah for Rollies...
Oyster Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:43 AM   #4
colemanitis
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 1090
A Rolex isn't a good investment. It depreciates once you walk out the door. It will take YEARS to appreciate to the original purchase price. A Rolex does hold its value very well compared to other watches, so if you're going to break an investment on a watch, you'll want it to be a Rolex.
Member #471
colemanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Mennald
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
It's your money, do what you think is right!

116300, 116333, 116334, 116400V, 116520, 116610LV, 116610LN, 116710, 116718, 218239, PAM 90, 126600
Mennald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:52 AM   #6
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
A better way to go MIGHT be to put your mutual fund on margin and take cash out. That way you won't have to pay taxes on the sale of your mutual fund and it could likely still appreciate. You can then repay the margin loan as you make more money. I won't even mention the fact that if you have to sell a mutual fund to buy a watch...Oops, like I said, I won't even say it. Rolexes are great but I wouldn't count on it as an "investment".
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 11:38 AM   #7
waltk1026
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610 5513
I bought a YGDD nov 05. I hated to part with that much money but I did. I do enjoy wearing it, who wouldn't, but sometimes I think maybe I should have bougth a couple Rolexes(like a SS Daytona and a newer sub to take over for my 5513 sub) for the same bucks. What are some of your thoughts on that? I don't know how you can get a new President at that price. I paid more than that 1-1/2 years ago with a discount! The new ones list at $22,450.00. As for investment, I thought so but I check out some sources if I wanted to sell and the best I can do is $10,000. Not too good a return on $18,000.
waltk1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 12:26 PM   #8
OysterDavid
Banned

Rolex Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Map View Post
This appears to be a golden opportunity to purchase my dream watch. An 18Karat yellow gold Mens Day-Date Presidential Rolex. The trouble I am having is breaking one investment to purchase another. Will this watch be an investment? I am purchasing it from a AD in Las Vegas and my offer will be $14,450.00. The watch is brand new. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't suppose it's worth mentioning that a number of people have posted here that discounts on Rolex watches in Las Vegas are nonexistant at the AD's on the Strip, and if you even hope to get some dollars off the retail price, you'll have to travel WAY off strip and find an AD where the tourists aren't.

So, if you're thinking of cashing in the equities and bringing a bundle of cash, hoping to wave it under the nose of a Strip AD, at least in my opinion, you'll have better odds at the dice tables.

But the desire for a new Rolex is a disease and we all suffer from it here.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 12:50 PM   #9
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Frankly, I am basically doing the same thing on a small scale. You wanting to purchase a very expensive watch with the money. The DD will hold its value and you only stand to lose hundreds if anything. YOu will get the bulk of your money back if you ever tried to sell just make sure its in perfect condition with all your documentation. Otherwise enjoy it!
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 01:22 PM   #10
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
You won't be able to get your money back on it. Used Gold presidentials go for much less. However, if it makes you happy, and it is a good deal, then go for it.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I do not know your finances, but life is to be enjoyed along the way too.

But if it will not be a big hit, but if it will, don't get it and wait.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 01:31 PM   #12
World Map

Thanks to everyone for your kind and thoughtful opinions. I have been collecting Rolex Watches for the pass six years. However,this will be the bigest ticket item I purchase and it will become number ten. I don't know if I have a problem or not because all the watches were purchased brand new and I do not ware any of them acept on holiday. That includes everything from SS Daytona (which I've never un-wraped) to TT Datejust. The YGDD is the only watch that is missing. Do I have a problem????? P.S. This is the best forum in world.
World Map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Yes. You have a problem to the outside world...but not to us.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 02:29 PM   #14
royce
"TRF" Member

and yes, this is the best forum in the world
Old 26 June 2007, 02:38 PM   #15
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I agree enjoy your Rolex watches unless you have a trick or a great position may I suggest you look at additional ADs in the western U.S. I can PM you several ADs who will cut major deals there is a lot of play in the high end Rolex watches if you do go to Vegas (which is know for no discounts) get better than 15% off. 15% to 20% off can be done on high end Rolexes. See if your dealer will also cut you a killer deal on a SD or Sub that you can wear every day besides holidays so you can enjoy your Rolex watches more. I have seen SDs/Subs sold at dealer cost as a “thank you” for buying a high end Rolex. You might want to see if your AD will do that use it or sell it to off set the cost of your new watch. Good luck please post pictures of your new Rolex.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 08:34 PM   #16
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Go Ahead , It's a Stunning Piece
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 08:35 PM   #17
walds11
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I guess you only live once :)
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 08:38 PM   #18
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
As an "investment", probably the gold Day-Date is not advisable

As the classic Rolex, however, go for it!

As an investment, only ONE of the modern Rolex watches is advisable:

The SS Daytona!

Or (almost!) any "vintage" Rolex watch.

But as "Mennald" replied above: It is your money, so you are the one to decide what to buy

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 09:23 PM   #19
warbird

If it's a small percentage (i.e. a fraction) of you net worth, go for it. If you are in a place where your net worth won't notice it too much, by all means live a little. My sub brings me joy every day even though I know I could have invested the money.

Sometimes you have to pop the cork.
warbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 09:36 PM   #20
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Do I have a problem?????
You gotta problem, I gotta problem, all God's chillin' gotta problem...................once they start buyin' Rolex.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:08 PM   #21
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
You only live once.... I once sold shares of ATI back in 2000 and that netted me $12k CAD. That allowed me to purchase my Kawi Ninja. I never regretted it once.

I'm now married and still have it
Old 26 June 2007, 10:40 PM   #22
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I think the question you must answer is do you want a Rolex watch or an investment.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:48 PM   #23
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Rolex watches are an indulgence, not an investment.

Unless you are Mike.
Old 26 June 2007, 10:58 PM   #24
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
A watch is not an investment, but a timepiece that goes on your wrist to tell the time and date. It can be a thing of pride though and a mechanical masterpiece and a sentimental herloom to be passed on down to future generations.

Remember though, you could die tomorrow, so as long as it is not immoral or illegal, there is nothing wrong with spending some money to enjoy life.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 10:59 PM   #25
Panos
"TRF" Member

an investment it is not

it is down to how badly you want it ...

did you say you have 9 ! - which you do not really wear ? if that is the case I would buy a 'pre-owned' one and would wear it and enjoy it all the time rather than have another new one not being worn

(I say 'pre-owned' as you clearly do not want to wear the new ones - you must just like the idea of having them , must cost you a bomb in insurance $$)

good luck with whatever you decide ... let us know
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2007, 11:03 PM   #26
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Map View Post
Thanks to everyone for your kind and thoughtful opinions. I have been collecting Rolex Watches for the pass six years. However,this will be the bigest ticket item I purchase and it will become number ten. I don't know if I have a problem or not because all the watches were purchased brand new and I do not ware any of them acept on holiday. That includes everything from SS Daytona (which I've never un-wraped) to TT Datejust. The YGDD is the only watch that is missing. Do I have a problem????? P.S. This is the best forum in world.
Give us a photo of your lot. It would be cruel not to.
Old 26 June 2007, 11:20 PM   #27
FBender

Watch: LV
Owning nine rolex watches is an achievement in itself. You are obviously smart enough to have the financial sense to have a moderate amount of spare disposable bucks tied up in watches. I personally would not break a good investment to buy a watch, but, if the investment has peaked then sell to do so. Otherwise borrow against it, and screw the AD for the lowest price, purchase price is the key. Good luck.
FBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 12:55 AM   #28
puffnmo

Worldmap - I am surprised that nobody has thought to pose this question:

If you sell the fund to buy your dream watch, will it affect your ability to meet other obligations. Do you own other financial investments which offer you security. What percentage of your total net worth does your watch collection represent.

If you have plenty of other investments, or a large income, why not buy your watch. If it would put a crimp in your life style, I would wait and save up for it.

Also, balance these considerations against the virtual certainty that the price of the watch will be increased in October...

And last but not least - Please let us know the outcome!!!

Cheers, Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 01:47 AM   #29
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I have borrowed money from my 401K twice to spend on "small pleasures" in life, and never felt guilty. Don't hesitate, if it will float your boat...

I came across a good adage, if my memory serves me right in this forum, a while back, that says: "You know when you have led a good life, when your credit card bills are paid off; your mortgage is paid off, and the check to the funeral home bounces."

"Life is fragile and every moment is sacred."--Anonymous. So, live life.
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote