The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 July 2018, 05:07 PM   #1
bezler
"TRF" Member

Submariner Links - How Many?

Hello all. I've been looking at pictures of subs (mostly 16610) for sale here and on other websites, and I notice that the number of links and their placement seem to vary quite a bit. My basic question: what is the standard number of links included when the watch was new? I notice that sellers simply don't mention the missing links. I've got an 8 inch wrist, so if I'm not careful I'm going to wind up with a watch sized for a 7 inch wrist and without the needed links.

Another problem is that I'm unfamiliar with the terminology for the bracelets - but I believe that I"m referring to the "extension links", and that the others are more or less fixed in advance. If anyone has a reference to bracelet structure, that would be much appreciated.

So, a few questions:
  • What is the standard number of links for a 16610 sub?
  • Does a new-in-box sub come with extra links?
  • Does this all vary by the type of bracelet (surely bracelets have changed over time)?
  • Why don't sellers discuss links?
  • Is it just expected that sellers don't send the links with the watches?
  • Is there a reference somewhere that describes this in detail?

I'm sure that other people have had the same questions back when they were newbies (like me).

Thanks in advance for all your help!
bezler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 11:28 AM   #2
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The 93150 Oyster came with 12 links which includes the attaching links at the bracelet - while the 78360 Oyster came with 13 links as well as the 78790. (End links are not counted as links.)

Below is a 93150 with 12 links total.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_2596.sm.jpg (28.5 KB, 532 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 01:04 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
The later 93250 SEL bracelet on the 16610 came with 13 1/2 links.
Old 26 July 2018, 01:43 PM   #4
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

You've already gotten some great info but I'll add a little. The later 93250 bracelet has a more secure wetsuit extension piece which may be preferred, as well as solid endlinks (the pieces that mate with the watch case). The transition to the newer bracelet happened right around the millennium (year 2000).

As for missing or extra links, some sellers, even very reputable ones, may not know the original number of links and/or may not want to publicize if their watches are short one or more links. Personally, I always include this info in the description if I know it.

New-in-box watches have all of the links mounted on the bracelet. There will only be loose extras in the box if one or more were removed to achieve proper fit. Some sellers and jewelers have been known to squirrel away errant links without telling the buyer, especially 18k gold links.

You can buy authentic ss sub links for $50-60 in good used condition so don't let this be a deal-breaker.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 03:26 PM   #5
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The 93150 Oyster came with 12 links which includes the attaching links at the bracelet - while the 78360 Oyster came with 13 links as well as the 78790. (End links are not counted as links.)

Below is a 93150 with 12 links total.
Thank you springer, your picture and description will help me quite a bit as a count links in pictures. I tried on an early 90's 16610 with 11 links (by your counting method), and determined that I'd need two extra links. So in reality, I needed the standard 93150 bracelet plus a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The later 93250 SEL bracelet on the 16610 came with 13 1/2 links.
That's good news, because I plan to acquire one of those late subs with the SEL bracelet. Are the links bigger? If so, perhaps I won't need any extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKflyer View Post
You've already gotten some great info but I'll add a little. The later 93250 bracelet has a more secure wetsuit extension piece which may be preferred, as well as solid endlinks (the pieces that mate with the watch case). The transition to the newer bracelet happened right around the millennium (year 2000).

As for missing or extra links, some sellers, even very reputable ones, may not know the original number of links and/or may not want to publicize if their watches are short one or more links. Personally, I always include this info in the description if I know it.

New-in-box watches have all of the links mounted on the bracelet. There will only be loose extras in the box if one or more were removed to achieve proper fit. Some sellers and jewelers have been known to squirrel away errant links without telling the buyer, especially 18k gold links.

You can buy authentic ss sub links for $50-60 in good used condition so don't let this be a deal-breaker.
Thanks for this additional information, and good for you for including the link information in your descriptions.

I'd be pretty unhappy to learn that my jeweler squirreled away my 18k links, but I guess that's life.
bezler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Bigblu10
Banned

18K Oyster links are not cheap by any means, so if buying a pre owned full gold piece, make sure you know how many links are on the watch, and how many links were supposed to be on there when new.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote