The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 May 2018, 06:15 PM   #61
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Very nice.

Enjoy wearing it.

$$$'s come and $$$'s go but that is a nice model keep and to hand down.

But I am biased ... I have never sold or traded a watch.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 06:21 PM   #62
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
If not interested it makes no sense to keep. Value could go both up and down and since the watch is extremely fragile it is probably not worth to wear excessively if there’s no real interest. Depending on the overall financial situation I am guessing a 100k would make a difference in many peoples lives.

If you are certain a piece like this will appreciate in value I guess you would buy one. Pretty simple.

This example is honest and nice. Dial is charming at best but it is not really a museum piece. Still worth a ton but I wouldn’t bet my life it will move up year by year. I’d kind of think it is a bit foolish to recommend someone not interested to speculate in value appreciation. It’s a niche piece. Allthough very nice. Money could probably do other things for someone not interested in vintage rolexes.
Old 23 May 2018, 07:49 PM   #63
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

A beautiful rare bird.
Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 08:32 PM   #64
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
If not interested it makes no sense to keep.
Yep, you’re right.

I think I’d probably by a nice old Pepsi GMT with part of the proceeds though, be nice as a reminder and have a browse around here and perk your interest up for a nice vintage Rolex. Be your own reminder for the occasion as you say this has no sentimental attachment.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 08:44 PM   #65
bearjere21
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT16750
100k in a retirement fund may be of better use but man this is like a unicorn for me. Would be hard to sell if I was the owner. Beautiful piece.

My uncle has the same model but the insert is gone. I been bugging him to part with it to me.
bearjere21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 09:26 PM   #66
RamyAshour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Wow that is amazing. That is true grail!

And of course condolences for the loss of your dad :(
RamyAshour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 10:32 PM   #67
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Condolences.

That is one amazing piece. Do you have any guesses to how long it has sat in the drawer? Any pictures of your granddad wearing it?

Be careful using the piece, the movement is most likely bone dry. With that said be very careful who to let work on it if you want to use it. You actually should insure it properly before using or letting someone touch it.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:06 PM   #68
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Condolences.

That is one amazing piece. Do you have any guesses to how long it has sat in the drawer? Any pictures of your granddad wearing it?

Be careful using the piece, the movement is most likely bone dry. With that said be very careful who to let work on it if you want to use it. You actually should insure it properly before using or letting someone touch it.
You’d be surprised how unreasonable it is to insure something like this.

Movement is not what to be worried about. The bezel is what is fragile and valuable. After that the dial and so on.
Old 23 May 2018, 11:15 PM   #69
Dangur
"TRF" Member

There's a great example @ AmsterdamVintageWatches

https://youtu.be/GfFO7xkgA1w?t=4m17s
Dangur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:20 PM   #70
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
Take it to one of the top auction houses (Southbys/Christies/Phillips)
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2018, 11:47 PM   #71
C Walker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
If not interested it makes no sense to keep. Value could go both up and down and since the watch is extremely fragile it is probably not worth to wear excessively if there’s no real interest. Depending on the overall financial situation I am guessing a 100k would make a difference in many peoples lives.

If you are certain a piece like this will appreciate in value I guess you would buy one. Pretty simple.

This example is honest and nice. Dial is charming at best but it is not really a museum piece. Still worth a ton but I wouldn’t bet my life it will move up year by year. I’d kind of think it is a bit foolish to recommend someone not interested to speculate in value appreciation. It’s a niche piece. Allthough very nice. Money could probably do other things for someone not interested in vintage rolexes.

This pretty much sums it up for me. Fact is, my wife and I do fairly well. If the watch value were in the $30-50k range, I would keep it as that amount of money would not make much of as impact on our lives. However, when you start talking about $100k, that starts to have more of an impact from both an enjoyment standpoint and investment perspective.

Or, if I was a watch guy, then I would be more likely to keep it. I started to get into watches about 3 years ago, but as my taste and knowledge increased, I started to question if I wanted to spend upwards of $5000+ on a watch... and I decided no, I had other places I would want to put that income. At this point, I would be likely to take some of the money and buy a nice Bell & Ross or similar. That would satisfy my watch craving.

Also, due to the fact that I never saw my Grandfather in it and never knew it existed, I have no really sentimental value tied to the watch. I have other items that mean much more to me than this piece.

Simply knowing the importance, rarity and collectibility of the watch propels me to sell it so that it goes to someone that truly appreciates it. It's kind of like having a BMW M1 sitting in a garage under a pile of trash, sad to see something of this value stay with someone who is not able to truely appreciate it.
C Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 12:23 AM   #72
goldfixer21
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Walker View Post
This pretty much sums it up for me. Fact is, my wife and I do fairly well. If the watch value were in the $30-50k range, I would keep it as that amount of money would not make much of as impact on our lives. However, when you start talking about $100k, that starts to have more of an impact from both an enjoyment standpoint and investment perspective.

Or, if I was a watch guy, then I would be more likely to keep it. I started to get into watches about 3 years ago, but as my taste and knowledge increased, I started to question if I wanted to spend upwards of $5000+ on a watch... and I decided no, I had other places I would want to put that income. At this point, I would be likely to take some of the money and buy a nice Bell & Ross or similar. That would satisfy my watch craving.

Also, due to the fact that I never saw my Grandfather in it and never knew it existed, I have no really sentimental value tied to the watch. I have other items that mean much more to me than this piece.

Simply knowing the importance, rarity and collectibility of the watch propels me to sell it so that it goes to someone that truly appreciates it. It's kind of like having a BMW M1 sitting in a garage under a pile of trash, sad to see something of this value stay with someone who is not able to truely appreciate it.
Well said. I am not a sentimental person myself, so "things" don't really matter as much. My grandfather is responsible for my view on this. When he was nearing the end of his life, he wanted me to take his stash of old fishing gear. It had many valuable old lures in it. I told him I didn't want hem until he was gone. He replied that he had always said they were going to be mine, so take them! He then added, "some of this is worth a lot of money, so when you sell them, make sure you get a fair price." I told him I would not sell them because they were from him. He said that was stupid, what was I going to do with a bunch of fishing lures I'd never use. What he said next will always stick with me. He said, "If you need stuff to remind you of me, I didn't make much of an impression." I still have all that stuff 20+ years later, but I don't need it to remember what an awesome guy he was.
goldfixer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2018, 10:03 AM   #73
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Its a beautiful piece none the less, keep us updated on what you do with it!
Old 27 May 2018, 07:51 AM   #74
C Walker
"TRF" Member

haha, some times I'm kinda slow... I just realized while looking at the GMT that I have a complete set here. On the right is my Maternal Grandfather's Bulova Watch and stop watch from when he was a train engineer in WV and Ohio... on the left, my fraternal Grandfather's Rolex and Heuer stop watch from his business days in Detroit.

That's a hell of a set. They led two very different but important lives.

C Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2018, 02:58 AM   #75
pts1956
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT MASTER 6542
Wow stunning. Yet another wonderful story of an amazing timepiece waiting to be discovered by a family member. Im sure there will be more. Congratulations to you, your grandad had great taste and sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pts1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 06:29 AM   #76
Lgear080
Banned

I’d just consign it thru Andrew Shear or Matt Bain. One of the two would probably work on 5-10% commission and could have it sold in weeks or less. Incredible watch. I’ve sold a lot of pieces thru large auction houses (primarily print) because I had no other options. The end result from the sale is often 60-65% of hammer after commission and costs for marketing.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 09:09 AM   #77
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Gobsmacked and incredible find~!
An honest time-capsule of horological wonderment of form and function - congratulations to you sir...

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 09:10 AM   #78
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
The chamfers taper out to +2mm I bet, man, soooo nice ~ !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2018, 12:09 PM   #79
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
I’d just consign it thru Andrew Shear or Matt Bain. One of the two would probably work on 5-10% commission and could have it sold in weeks or less. Incredible watch. I’ve sold a lot of pieces thru large auction houses (primarily print) because I had no other options. The end result from the sale is often 60-65% of hammer after commission and costs for marketing.
Would you really need to offer it out to someone to sell it for you? And for $10k!

Sheesh, the thing should sell itself surely, a post here an instagram post there and people would be coming to you. It’s probably already gone.
Old 7 December 2018, 05:12 AM   #80
Lgear080
Banned

You do... unless you’re in the business of regularly selling five and six figure watches on a regular basis. These guys have clients that have been buying for decades and will pay substantially more than he could ever achieve solo.
Old 7 December 2018, 06:43 AM   #81
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
With how crazy the Rolex market is at the moment......I don’t think I would sell it for any less than $150,000. I believe it might be worth even more than that. Like someone else mentioned, that is the nicest example I have ever seen.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 06:45 AM   #82
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Very cool piece your father wore....my condolences to you and your family, I understand you aren’t a watch guy, however, I’d hold on to the piece for a while...put it in a lock box at your bank and cash in after a few years when the price doubles or triples...why not ? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain out of this...in any event, it’s your call on what to do with the piece, but as others have stated, you have a truly magnificent example of an extremely desirable and sought after reference...that Bakelite is truly about as good as it gets
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 06:57 AM   #83
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
What a beautiful example!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 11:08 AM   #84
Danj338
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch!
Danj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:10 AM   #85
DhillonUK
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, that’s a keeper
DhillonUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 06:52 PM   #86
edtheaussie
"TRF" Member

Stunning :o - any updates?
edtheaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 02:02 AM   #87
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
You do... unless you’re in the business of regularly selling five and six figure watches on a regular basis. These guys have clients that have been buying for decades and will pay substantially more than he could ever achieve solo.
That kind of implies the people that collect these watches don’t look around for themselves? I find that quite hard to believe and I’m sure there are collectors out there that still love the chase themselves.
Old 24 December 2018, 05:51 AM   #88
Lgear080
Banned

These buyers don’t have time to screw around actually buying watches. They have personal shoppers and dealers to do that for them.