The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 24 January 2019, 07:07 AM   #181
zahain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
You found the watch, why not just wear it? It wasn't stolen, you dropped it yourself.
He did drop it but technically anything can be classed as stolen if someone picks up your belongings and doesnt turn it in regardless of where the item has been reported lost..

OP also mentioned they are keeping it until the case is finished and then has to send it into service so he cant just put it on and wear it

Good to hear the guy getting charged and hope all goes well

From the photos, you need a new bezel & bracelet but the case looks ok. Bezel is around $1300 and bracelet i think someone can give a more accurate price but around the 3-4,000 range?
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:15 AM   #182
ygoloroh
"TRF" Member

Very interesting story - hope everything turns out well!
ygoloroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:17 AM   #183
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the update- keep us posted.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:25 AM   #184
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Wow. Crazy ride over the past 2 months.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 01:42 PM   #185
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
You found the watch, why not just wear it? It wasn't stolen, you dropped it yourself.
I tend to agree with this. The person that found it didn't even try to have it repaired and sold after all this time, maybe he just picked it up out of the middle of the road and never thought twice about it? If someone found a broken Michael Kors watch, would they go through the trouble to try to find the owner? Is there something he did that shows intent to profit off of this?

Look I get it, thieves are scum... but based on the facts I have, if I were you I'd take the watch back, have it repaired with the coverage Chase Sapphire will provide, insure the watch after it's restored to factory spec, and move on.
Hauxrologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:47 PM   #186
juanwinston
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleMan View Post
I tend to agree with this. The person that found it didn't even try to have it repaired and sold after all this time, maybe he just picked it up out of the middle of the road and never thought twice about it? If someone found a broken Michael Kors watch, would they go through the trouble to try to find the owner? Is there something he did that shows intent to profit off of this?

Look I get it, thieves are scum... but based on the facts I have, if I were you I'd take the watch back, have it repaired with the coverage Chase Sapphire will provide, insure the watch after it's restored to factory spec, and move on.
I agree. It was your mistake in the first place for dropping the watch and trying to "blame" the person who took it seems a bit much.

Be happy that you found the watch, learn from this mistake and move on. congrats anyway and wear it in good health
juanwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 04:34 PM   #187
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I totally disagree with the last posters:

Someone sees a watch dropping out of a pocket and picks it up ( that‘s probably what happened here).
In a normal world, the „finder“ will reach the other person „excuse me, you have lost this“.

This obviously has not happened and the „finder“ also did not bother to hand the „found“ watch over to the authorities, but decided to keep it - no matter if he thought it was worth $10 or $10.000.

But I guess that I am living in phantasyland in an age of unlimited selfishness and „always the others are totally wrong“.

Rant over.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:53 PM   #188
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post

Someone sees a watch dropping out of a pocket and picks it up ( that‘s probably what happened here).
In a normal world, the „finder“ will reach the other person „excuse me, you have lost this“.

This obviously has not happened and the „finder“ also did not bother to hand the „found“ watch over to the authorities, but decided to keep it - no matter if he thought it was worth $10 or $10.000.

But I guess that I am living in phantasyland in an age of unlimited selfishness and „always the others are totally wrong“.

Rant over.

You are not wrong.

As previously mentioned on the thread there is no finders keepers rule.

Monetary value does probably play an impact to a degree. If someone dropped a sweet, you wouldn’t run after them to give it back for example.

But this is where reasonable expectations/actions are considered by a court. To most people finding a 15400, it is obvious it’s an item of worth.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 25 January 2019, 12:03 AM   #189
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thats probably NOT what happened here. You think the guy saw it fall out of his bag, get run over by a car, and went to pick it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
To most people finding a 15400, it is obvious it’s an item of worth.
No its not. 99% of people out there have zero clue what a 15400 is or what it is worth. They would all think we are out of our freaking minds for paying what we do for wrist watches. On the flip side, they find a fake Submariner on the ground run over by a bus and "ooohhh".
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 01:17 AM   #190
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Thats probably NOT what happened here. You think the guy saw it fall out of his bag, get run over by a car, and went to pick it up?

No its not. 99% of people out there have zero clue what a 15400 is or what it is worth. They would all think we are out of our freaking minds for paying what we do for wrist watches. On the flip side, they find a fake Submariner on the ground run over by a bus and "ooohhh".

Even without a google search of the brand name off the dial - a cursory look at the watch, seeing the movement and gold rotor would (should) be enough to signify to someone it’s not a throw away object. Not all people, but I would expect if you handed it to 100 people across the population and asked them is it low, medium or high cost, most would err towards the top boxes.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 25 January 2019, 01:20 AM   #191
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Even without a google search of the brand name off the dial - a cursory look at the watch, seeing the movement and gold rotor would (should) be enough to signify to someone it’s not a throw away object. Not all people, but I would expect if you handed it to 100 people across the population and asked them is it low, medium or high cost, most would err towards the top boxes.
I would guess 99% of people out there have no clue watches like this are as expensive as they are. To you and I, sure. The rest are clueless (in a good way) and would think we are nuts if they knew (and we all are a little).
Old 25 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #192
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Maybe you want to read again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post

1. The defendant found lost property under circumstances that would give him or her knowledge of who the owner of the property is or means to determine the true owner.

3. The defendant did not make reasonable efforts to find the original owner or to restore the property to its rightful owner.
Old 25 January 2019, 02:42 AM   #193
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Maybe you want to read again:
You believe this "thief" saw the watch fall out of his bag, knew what it was and who it belonged to, saw it get run over by a bus, went out into road, picked it up in pieces (look at his recovery photo) and took it? Yeah, not buying it and good luck to the DA to prove it.

If this were me, I would take it as a lesson and move on. Like I am with this thread.....
Old 25 January 2019, 03:20 AM   #194
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

You realize that there are hundreds of cameras at an airport?

And yes, I believe that exactly happened like that
Old 25 January 2019, 06:03 AM   #195
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You believe this "thief" saw the watch fall out of his bag, knew what it was and who it belonged to, saw it get run over by a bus, went out into road, picked it up in pieces (look at his recovery photo) and took it? Yeah, not buying it and good luck to the DA to prove it.

If this were me, I would take it as a lesson and move on. Like I am with this thread.....
I agree....100%.
Old 25 January 2019, 06:12 AM   #196
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

So how did they find the guy and/or the watch? Would love to hear the full story.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 06:35 AM   #197
Burlington
"TRF" Member

LOST MY 15400ST Ruthenium!!!!!

Quote:
I would guess 99% of people out there have no clue watches like this are as expensive as they are. To you and I, sure. The rest are clueless (in a good way) and would think we are nuts if they knew (and we all are a little).

By of value - i mean in excess of say $150, which for most people would already be an expensive watch.

You’re right that most people wouldn’t even know watches get into the tens of.

That said - I still hold true that if someone found the watch they would as a minimum know it wasn’t throwaway and the right thing to do would be to hand it in to the responsible authorities even if they guessed at a value of $50.

Whether they saw it fall, or stumbled across it. The above remains the same legally and morally.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 25 January 2019, 08:23 AM   #198
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
UPDATE:

Finally got word back from the DA that they're proceeding with the case charging unlawful appropriation of lost property, California Penal Code Section 485 PC which requires that:

1. The defendant found lost property under circumstances that would give him or her knowledge of who the owner of the property is or means to determine the true owner.

2. The defendant appropriated the lost property for his own use or for the use of another person who is not the true owner.

3. The defendant did not make reasonable efforts to find the original owner or to restore the property to its rightful owner.

I probably won't have resolution on this for another 60-90 days as this case is crawling through the courts. Will share more once I know where things will land.
I saw a gold wedding band on a bathroom counter at SJC the other day. Assumed it was someone who took his ring off to wash his hands and forgot to put it back on. I left it there, hoping the original owner would come back for it but knowing full well the next person who saw it could take it and pawn it.
I suppose I could have taken it to the information desk but I was in a hurry.

Sounds like I could be charged under the same section as I've met all 3 criteria?
Old 25 January 2019, 08:56 AM   #199
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I’ve not once been complimented or had any mention be made about any watch I’m wearing in the wild. Boutiques and AD’s/ other friends in the hobby non withstanding. A Rolex is FAR more recognizable in the wild than an Audemars or PP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 January 2019, 09:04 AM   #200
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I left it there

Sounds like I could be charged under the same section as I've met all 3 criteria?

It wasn’t yours, you didn’t take it. Hopefully the next person was as honest - but if not, that’s on their conscience, not yours.

Very different to my understanding of the OPs situation.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 25 January 2019, 09:04 AM   #201
shakory
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I absolutely will never be able to understand why people do not do this. More money than brains or too much money to not GAF. I have mine on my policy literally hours, if not immediately, within acquisition. Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This

shakory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 09:21 AM   #202
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoleMan View Post
I’ve not once been complimented or had any mention be made about any watch I’m wearing in the wild. Boutiques and AD’s/ other friends in the hobby non withstanding. A Rolex is FAR more recognizable in the wild than an Audemars or PP.

With respect, this misses the point of the discussion a little.

Most would agree AP, PP etc. are less recognisable than a Rolex. It’s generally common knowledge people get few comments about what they wear day to day.

The question is when the 3rd party in question found the watch (15400ST) whether or not they would have been able to reasonably ascertain, as presumably a non watch person, that it had any value which would warrant handing it vs. keeping it.

As posted above - i think the majority of typical people would be able to know when that watch was in their hands it must have minimum one to a few hundred dollars value. Just seeing the open case back and gold rotor would be unique enough for that I think. A later google search would confirm it was worth a great deal more than that, providing another opportunity to do the right thing once back home even.

Monetary value doesn’t matter per say, but obviously common sense would prevail if e.g. someone dropped a blank postcard and the next decided to pick it up for their own use as they saw no value in handing it in.

When I find money about from time to time as everyone does, I always give it to one of the next donation points or people in need I come across. Maybe not the technically right thing to do, but it sits fine with me. If it was a big stack of cash, different story as that would be handed in as chances are someone would be looking for it.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 25 January 2019, 11:10 PM   #203
opawlows
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor/Breit
Quote:
UPDATE:

It looks like it's going to be a while before I get my watch as it's still in an evidence locker pending a decision from the DA. Given that I am seeking whatever restitution I can get from the thief, they can't turn the watch back over to me as it must be preserved as evidence until the case is resolved.
Seems a little harsh in my opinion to call this guy a "thief" considering the watch fell out onto the road, presumably, and was run over. Not sure what type of restitution you are really after. Maybe the guy had just seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry threw out the watch Uncle Leo gave him and assumed someone did the same thing with that watch as it was just lying there on the road?
opawlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 02:45 AM   #204
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
Seems a little harsh in my opinion to call this guy a "thief" considering the watch fell out onto the road, presumably, and was run over. Not sure what type of restitution you are really after. Maybe the guy had just seen the Seinfeld episode where Jerry threw out the watch Uncle Leo gave him and assumed someone did the same thing with that watch as it was just lying there on the road?

Agreed, but also must say I love the Seinfeld reference. Certainly one of the top five all time shows

Old 27 January 2019, 05:47 AM   #205
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
One helluva story! Can't wait to hear the rest. OP I sent you a message please respond.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 07:11 AM   #206
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
So how did they find the guy and/or the watch? Would love to hear the full story.
Yes, this would be interesting.

Did the police identify someone on the cameras, found that person, then got back the watch?
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 11:46 AM   #207
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Yes, this would be interesting.

Did the police identify someone on the cameras, found that person, then got back the watch?
I think most of us got the full story, OP carelessly lost his AP because it wasn't secured properly in his bag, we felt bad, OP didn't have insurance, we felt more bad, it got run over by a car, we felt terrible for OP, someone picked it up, authorities found the watch and person who picked it up, we all felt good, it's going to be serviced (AP even covering shipping!),we felt great, but apparently the OP didn't, so now he is trying to make it right or feel better about it by going after the person who found it and giving us updates. Whew long sentence!

Everyone here likes to admit they would have picked up the watch or they would have dropped everything and done everything in their power to get it to the owner, maybe even miss their flight? Of course we haven't heard the other side of it, is it possible the person didn't know the value? Would they have tried to return it once they found out? Where they in the process or thinking about returning it? Was it some janitor who just picked it up thinking it was a $10 watch? Who knows? and we wont either.

If you want to keep it going maybe you guys can have phone discussions while he gives you updates on filling up paperwork, discuss airport camera angles, or comparing watch insurance plans but I prefer the thread just dies.
myporsche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 04:55 AM   #208
benjamin831
"TRF" Member

Wow, what an incredible story. I've lost an Omega Speedmaster before and it devastated me so I can certainly empathize. Unfortunately I never recovered the watch.

Not to beat up the OP but you have balls having your watch so carelessly placed in your backpack. Basically the only thing that separates the case from the outside world was a measly zipper. I find that incredible.
benjamin831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 08:13 AM   #209
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
I started this thread looking for help and the immediate advice I received from this community was largely helpful to me. It's also been an important learning experience as all of my watches are now insured. As is often the case on these forums, people enter the conversation with opinions and judgements, many uninformed and without having even read the thread for full context.

As far as where things are with this case - I didn't elect to file or pursue charges. The police made a determination that criminal charges were warranted based on the investigation they conducted which included reviewing security camera video and speaking with the individual who recovered and was in possession of my watch. It was and isn't a situation where I asked them to take any action against the individual - when the police and DA determined a crime has been committed, they chose pursue charges accordingly. When it comes to recovery and restitution, I'm following the guidance that's been provided to me by authorities in an effort to be made as close to whole as possible for my loss. Should a judge determine restitution is not warranted, I'll readily accept that outcome. I don't wish for this person to go to jail and it likely won't even come to that. I have no expectation of recovering any monies and it has no bearing on the charges that have been filed.

It sounds like some of you think I deserve to have lost the watch for how carelessly I handled it and that there should be no consequences for the individual who "found" it (and made a conscious decision to keep it for themselves, instead of honoring their legal obligation to return it.) Shame on me for attempting to exhaust every avenue at my disposal to recover my property and pity on the individual who knowingly found and kept something of significant value that did not belong to them...because finders keepers.

People can go back and forth all day about "finder's keepers" but there are laws, which I've posted here, that very clearly stipulate how lost and found property is legally supposed to be handled. The individual in possession of my watch was also an airport employee, which comes with a whole other set of legal obligations and expectations with respect to how lost property is treated once recovered by an employee. Even if they weren't, it wouldn't change the nature of the "crime" as stipulated by law.

For those who are tired of the thread, don't click on it anymore and you won't have to be "bothered." I'm just providing updates to the many members that have expressed an interest in hearing them.
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 08:18 AM   #210
Hauxrologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I started this thread looking for help and the immediate advice I received from this community was largely helpful to me. It's also been an important learning experience as all of my watches are now insured. As is often the case on these forums, people enter the conversation with opinions and judgements, many uninformed and without having even read the thread for full context.

As far as where things are with this case - I didn't elect to file or pursue charges. The police made a determination that criminal charges were warranted based on the investigation they conducted which included reviewing security camera video and speaking with the individual who recovered and was in possession of my watch. It was and isn't a situation where I asked them to take any action against the individual - when the police and DA determined a crime has been committed, they chose pursue charges accordingly. When it comes to recovery and restitution, I'm following the guidance that's been provided to me by authorities in an effort to be made as close to whole as possible for my loss. Should a judge determine restitution is not warranted, I'll readily accept that outcome. I have no expectation of recovering any monies and it has no bearing on the charges that have been filed.

It sounds like some of you think I deserve to have lost the watch for how carelessly I handled it and that there should be no consequences for the individual who "found" it (and made a conscious decision to keep it for themselves, instead of honoring their legal obligation to return it.) Shame on me for attempting to exhaust every avenue at my disposal to recover my property and pity on the individual who knowingly found and kept something of significant value that did not belong to them...because finders keepers.

People can go back and forth all day about "finder's keepers" but there are laws, which I've posted here, that very clearly stipulate how lost and found property is legally supposed to be handled. The individual in possession of my watch was also an airport employee, which comes with a whole other set of legal obligations and expectations with respect to how lost property is treated once recovered by an employee. Even if they weren't, it wouldn't change the nature of the "crime" as stipulated by law.

For those who are tired of the thread, don't click on it anymore and you won't have to be "bothered." I'm just providing updates to the many expressed that they're interested in hearing them.

I agree the fact that it was an airport employee is a material fact and this person should be held to a different standard as I’m certain he/she knows what to do in the event of finding something.

I never argued “finders keepers”, I’m of the opinion that he maybe saw a smashed, “totaled” watch and simply didn’t think much of it. We will never know without knowing the full story.

However, you said multiple times the watch is being held in an evidence locker and won’t be released since you wanted to pursue charges, not the police. Either way, glad you got your watch back. I was gutted for you when I first read the thread. Hoping justice is served, but if the employee did not mean harm, think about what this could mean for his career/family.

Regards,

DM