The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2019, 03:51 AM   #61
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
I would say the Blancpain probably wins in the category of Dive watch, but I still prefer the look of the Sub better. GMT beats Navitimer.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:55 AM   #62
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
well, my DSSD can go down to 12,800 feet and still work, so literally any time I feel like taking a boat out to the Mariana trench and throwing my watch overboard - I can. Even though I couldn't possibly retrieve it, the knowledge of it being safe at those depths is comforting.

...but seriously. It's a great watch and I'd own many brands and not try to compare them. I'd buy them for what they are and what they mean to me, regardless of brand.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:44 AM   #63
Burlington
"TRF" Member

What they do, they do well. No question about that of course.

But lots of other brands beat them when it comes to finishing, aesthetics, complications etc.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:50 AM   #64
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
What proof do you have that the Rolex movement is more durable than the Blancpain 1315 movement?
Blancpain is an aftersales and reliability nightmare. Yes they are beautiful and have heritage, but there's not a lot of movements that can beat the Rolex 31 series in terms of simple durability.
If the blancpain had a 2824 with the new high end balance/hairspring and increased power reserve it would be so much better at being a sturdy tool watch, but alas.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:16 AM   #65
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Rolex wins almost always, have the BLNR, BLRO and WG Daytona on oysterflex.
Recently bought the Omega Diver 300 on rubber strap. Love this watch, great mvmt, the laser cut wave pattern is cool. Giving the Sub some very serious competition.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:19 AM   #66
Flyoverguy
"TRF" Member

Very well. However I like Breitling, AP and Omega as well.

There is plenty of choice out there.
Flyoverguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:54 AM   #67
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
In the different manifestations of its offerings? For example-

-Diving use- How does the Sub line stack up against those from Omega or the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms?

-Aviation- Rolex GMT vs the Breitling Navitimer

-Use in heavy magnetic scenarios- Rolex Milgauss vs Omega Aqua Terra

I love the history of mechanical watches in general, and it would be interesting to see how Rolexes fare across a multitude of different scenarios. I am not just talking about the aesthetics, but the actual functionality of the watches.

Original speedy pro and navitimer have no Rolex equal. They are also true icons in the way the sub is. Not better or worse.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:00 AM   #68
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Blancpain is an aftersales and reliability nightmare. Yes they are beautiful and have heritage, but there's not a lot of movements that can beat the Rolex 31 series in terms of simple durability.
If the blancpain had a 2824 with the new high end balance/hairspring and increased power reserve it would be so much better at being a sturdy tool watch, but alas.

Have you owned Fifty Fathoms?
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:11 AM   #69
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I have the 40mm FF, and the Blancpain/F. Piguet 1151 has been around a long time. AP, VC, Breguet, etc have also used it. Super thin, 100 hour power reserve, great finishing... it has a lot going for it.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:32 AM   #70
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
Have you owned Fifty Fathoms?
I doubt it but Bas repairs watches for a living. He definitely knows what he's talking about.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:34 AM   #71
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I doubt it but Bas repairs watches for a living. He definitely knows what he's talking about.

And he works on Rolex movements all day. Not sure anyone can beat Rolex on robust and reliable. I’d trust his opinions.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:47 AM   #72
liu_watch
"TRF" Member

Rolex is the king.

Their GMT is way better than the competitors. One study shows that pilots wearing them have higher on-time rate during inter-continental flights.
liu_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:30 PM   #73
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

How Do Rolexes Stack Up Against the Competition

My take, in mid-tier only, without attention to retained value.

Everyday, office: Rolex - Omega -IWC - JLC etc

Divers: Rolex - Seiko/ Grand Seiko. No Omega here.

Chronographs: Omega. Daytona is more of a fashion watch.

Exploring: Well, it’s clear

GMT: Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:27 PM   #74
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
It's really hard to judge. What's the best?

For example diving: if best is one with highest depth rating, then Deepsea Challenge takes it. However if we only take commercially available timepieces, Hublot has a watch that can go 4000m (100 more than DSSD) and was tested down to 5000m. Although it looks atrocious.

Aviation is difficult, because many watches tracking multiple time zones exist, but arguably GMT is most useful implementations, however Omega and TAG do have a GMT with chronograph functions so arguably those are more usable.

Magnetic scenarios - Here I would actually argue Omega takes the cake. Rolex has very magnetic resistant movement, cased in magnetic resistant case, whereas Omega takes a new approach. All their new movements are absolutely magnetic proof (at least to my understanding) and while Milgauss was tested to 10000 Gauss and did not suffer consequences at some strength of field it would. Omega wouldn't. Although I suppose if fields are strong enough to affect Milgauss, watch is the last thing you would worry about. You are likely to have your hand flying towards the magnetic field with your watch still working properly.
But no matter the brand and how its rated its very doubtful if most all will never be in a environment to test the watches ratings .Take the W/R of high rated dive watches great engineering but man or even superman will never use the depth rating in water.Same for magnetic fields its doubtful if any wearer today would encounter such strong magnet fields.Although great engineering today its basically mine is bigger than yours,and today many do buy the mine is bigger than yours watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:37 PM   #75
Kenny Powers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtii View Post
well, my DSSD can go down to 12,800 feet and still work, so literally any time I feel like taking a boat out to the Mariana trench and throwing my watch overboard - I can. Even though I couldn't possibly retrieve it, the knowledge of it being safe at those depths is comforting.

...but seriously. It's a great watch and I'd own many brands and not try to compare them. I'd buy them for what they are and what they mean to me, regardless of brand.
Isn’t the trench over 36,000 feet deep though?
Kenny Powers is offline   Reply With Quote