The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 April 2019, 06:06 AM   #61
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
The optimist in me says a situation where by you can only buy a mass produced product for 30-100% more than what it retails for can’t be the new normal.

The pessimist says, well this has been the case with the SS Daytona for more than a decade, so now it’s just extended to ALL the SS models.
Old 24 April 2019, 06:24 AM   #62
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavalFlight View Post
As long as there is a significant part of the market of buyers who are holding onto Rolex’s simply to turn a profit, the bubble will exist.
Yeah but a bubble which never bursts isn't really a bubble. It's just an expanding space.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:29 AM   #63
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

OK, I was going to start a new thread but here’s why I think the market will get back to normal soon.

I think Rolex are reallocating resources internally.

We know based on the current stock of models in AD’S they have enough watch makers to assemble, can create enough movements and dials. They have over production on steel bracelets for dress models, but need more oyster for professional models.

They can continue the same production of jubilee to use on the GMT and satisfy GMT and dress customers. Adding TT to SD gets rid of the current surplus TT dress models and splits demand for SD, again satisfied customers. They now released lots of additional time consuming oyster bracelets for steel sports models without doing anything extra. They Just need to reallocate dial, steel case and increase ceramic bezels and BAM, a lot more steel sports models with the same staff and resources.

Result is shorter waiting lists and more inventory moved and grey prices corrected.

Personally I’d prefer to keep the high secondary prices, so would use the resources released to start rolling out the new movement or production of a new ceramic Explorer. But that’s why I don’t work for Rolex I am not very bright.

Just my lame opinion, what do you guys think.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:31 AM   #64
Trusted Smeller
Banned

Currently watches are cool. There are lots of people (hype beasts) who like cool stuff who just happen to like watches because they're cool. They will move on to something else eventually.

That's my 2c at least.
Trusted Smeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:37 AM   #65
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
OK, I was going to start a new thread but here’s why I think the market will get back to normal soon.

I think Rolex are reallocating resources internally.

We know based on the current stock of models in AD’S they have enough watch makers to assemble, can create enough movements and dials. They have over production on steel bracelets for dress models, but need more oyster for professional models.

They can continue the same production of jubilee to use on the GMT and satisfy GMT and dress customers. Adding TT to SD gets rid of the current surplus TT dress models and splits demand for SD, again satisfied customers. They now released lots of additional time consuming oyster bracelets for steel sports models without doing anything extra. They Just need to reallocate dial, steel case and increase ceramic bezels and BAM, a lot more steel sports models with the same staff and resources.

Result is shorter waiting lists and more inventory moved and grey prices corrected.

Personally I’d prefer to keep the high secondary prices, so would use the resources released to start rolling out the new movement or production of a new ceramic Explorer. But that’s why I don’t work for Rolex I am not very bright.

Just my lame opinion, what do you guys think.

This was my thinking as well, they just needed to run a six sigma or other type of lean/optimization event. GMT is now focused on two main bezels and a single bracelet for SS, with PM largely staying one. Other lines will likely have the similar optimizations with likely shared parts and resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Movado Museum Sport
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:47 AM   #66
Brian7708
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua&TTpilot
With the number of grey dealers involved in this situation I don’t see it going away no matter the economy. These new middlemen have entered the market and it is their livelihood to see it through. Some may go out of business with a recession, but certainly not all, or even enough of them to correct prices back to MSRP
Brian7708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:53 AM   #67
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

This is the new normal. Rolex product is highly sought after. Its a bit exclusive. It’s selling at a premium and becoming hard to get. It’s a dream come true for Rolex. Much like DeBeers controls the diamond market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:16 AM   #68
NavalFlight
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Yeah but a bubble which never bursts isn't really a bubble. It's just an expanding space.

All bubbles burst, whether you’re talking about housing, bitcoin, or even tulips.

As I said before, as long as a significant segment of the market is buying inventory solely for the purpose of resale, a bubble exists and will eventually burst.
NavalFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:23 AM   #69
np208
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As long as there is a significant part of the market of buyers who are holding onto Rolex’s simply to turn a profit, the bubble will exist.
tell that to all the people that bought beanie babies as investments
np208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:27 AM   #70
np208
"TRF" Member

I really like how confident everyone is in their view on the market. you can tell who bought watches because they like them and those that bought them as investments.
np208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:51 AM   #71
NavalFlight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by np208 View Post
I really like how confident everyone is in their view on the market. you can tell who bought watches because they like them and those that bought them as investments.

Yup! Everyone who argues that “this is the new normal” is hoping to eventually sell to a “greater fool.”

Watches, including Rolex, are luxury goods not investment vehicles.

Speaking of vehicles, anyone remember when Toyota Prius’ had a waitlist and sold for thousands over retail?
Old 24 April 2019, 07:55 AM   #72
galveston22
"TRF" Member

The market will flip when demand retreats

galveston22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:57 AM   #73
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
All bubbles burst, whether you’re talking about housing, bitcoin, or even tulips.

As I said before, as long as a significant segment of the market is buying inventory solely for the purpose of resale, a bubble exists and will eventually burst.
It won't. The majority of posters on here are right and you're wrong on this one.
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:57 AM   #74
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Yup! Everyone who argues that “this is the new normal” is hoping to eventually sell to a “greater fool.”

Watches, including Rolex, are luxury goods not investment vehicles.

Speaking of vehicles, anyone remember when Toyota Prius’ had a waitlist and sold for thousands over retail?
I ended up waiting until 2006 and got in on the rebate
Movado Museum Sport
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:00 AM   #75
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Recession ... This will never last
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:05 AM   #76
NavalFlight
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It won't. The majority of posters on here are right and you're wrong on this one.

Want to buy some bitcoin at the low price of $18k?
Old 24 April 2019, 08:21 AM   #77
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Msrp for sports models is the new normal
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:26 AM   #78
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Spoke with a friend of mine in the watch industry. He has been at it for 20 years. Started in the retail end of things and worked his way up to the management/regional operations side of things for a very large US jeweler/Rolex AD.

He thinks this is a bit of both - the new normal AND will come back down. I know that doesn't make any sense, but it does. He believes we are 5-10 years from a significant softening of the Rolex market. He believes there is so much pent up demand that it will take years, and a significant financial event to quell it (reasons cited mostly relate to new markets and social media causing a completely new reality for high end watch buying - in essence he believes this is an entirely new market and unlike any other hot periods of the past like the late 90's).

He also thinks it will soften one day, but never truly crash (for Rolex and PP). He gave me a great example about new price floors. Take a 16710. 3 years ago they were 5-6K (just using his numbers) and now they are 10-12K. Double, In three years. He thinks it is entirely possible that in the next 5-10 years they could go up another 50% (18K) to double again (20-24K). He said if we are on the high side of that and a nice B&P 16710 is trading for say 22K in 6 years or whatever, that when the market does correct it may pull back to 20K (10%), but it will have set a new normal way above where it started the decade hot streak.

In short, he thinks this hot market is here to stay for 5-10 years, and a major global economic reset will only pull them back 10% or so (just Rolex and PP which he believes are in markets of their own now and do not follow predictive models that other brands are much more sensitive to), which will eventually happen. Then they will dither along for a decade or so without much valuation change, before the next hot market pushes them ever higher.

He has been around this since the late 90's, and he knows a good bit more than me. Sounds logical to me. Another 5+ years of extremely difficult to find watches and climbing prices, followed by a small pull back after the next crash, but the net result is after 10+ years all the popular references are worth 4 times what they started at and it sticks, at least until the next time it goes hot.

The big point he told me, and he isn't trying to sell me watches so I tend to believe it, was buy now, because in 20 years even these prices will seem cheap. FWIW.

That was too long. Heh.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:43 AM   #79
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Quote:
100% true. Anyone talking about "Rolex bubbles" is just clueless.
Quote:
You obviously feel quite strongly about this topic and instead of calling people clueless and telling them their opinions are wrong, why don’t you share with us your viewpoint? Happy to read it.
Old 24 April 2019, 08:44 AM   #80
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Incorrect. I have never bought a watch for this reason. You seem to have a very narrow view of how people think.

I am also not at all confident of my prediction for market behaviour. But I'm as confident about my prediction as I am about anyone else's.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:51 AM   #81
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Two years ago a 16710 could be had for $6K
Now they go for 9-10K !! With the ups and downs of the market, Rolex knew only one direction..... UP
Old 24 April 2019, 08:54 AM   #82
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
This is the new norm.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 08:56 AM   #83
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Just can't get fired up over it. It is what it is.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:04 AM   #84
T3F
"TRF" Member

I'm someone who was chirping that the bubble was about to pop and prices would go right back down again up until the last few months. I'm still not sure that the current market is the "new normal," but I do think the mean has been bumped up.

The new normal, in my opinion, will be the following:
-Certain models (e.g., Daytona, BLRO, 5711) will remain very scarce
-Hot-but-not-scalding models (BLNR, Hulk) will be attainable, if not readily available. I'll quantify this by saying you could get on a waitlist and get one within 6 months, and might happen to come across one in a case occasionally.
-"Normal" models (black Submariner, Explorer range, etc.) will be readily available

There will still be fluctuations in this depending on market conditions. Right now, I still think we're at the top and are seeing prices about 25-30% higher than what will be "normal," but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 24 April 2019, 09:22 AM   #85
Zackwheat
"TRF" Member

During the last big recession, it became out of fashion to appear to be flaunting wealth. So even many of the ultra wealthy cut down on their purchases of luxury items. Art prices took or dip or held steady during 2008-09.

It might be easy for a guy to justify a $10-12k purchase of a watch on a 100k salary when his 401k is going up 10% per year. But if the stock market goes down 5-10%, or if it looks like layoffs at work are possible, that $10k watch purchase most likely will be deferred.

In a economic slowdown the well-to-do will not be deterred. But the thousands of guys who have to really stretch to be able to afford a Rolex most likely would be. And those are the guys who have been driving demand.
Zackwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:44 AM   #86
RolexDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Anyone who thinks this will go on forever is silly.
RolexDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:50 AM   #87
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
I think we’ll continue to see strong demand for the foreseeable future but one must account for the many sales of hot models made due to groupthink. I think this is the consumer that wasn’t previously a buyer of premium brand watches and perhaps, some will eventually move on to the next big thing. This movement won’t open up the floodgates, but will begin to soften, not eliminate, grey premiums on the semi-hot models back to near MSRP and hot models a few K over MSRP. Daytona, Blue Sky Dweller and LVc will be the marathon runners and persevere the longest.

Regardless we’re in a new place with Rolex demand, but don’t think we’re in a bubble, but do think the Rolex market expanded rapidly due to social media and the reintroduction of watch-wearing to younger gen X and millennials (thank you Apple). This is the part that is here to stay.

All of this prognosticating and never mentioned a likely post election recession.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:53 AM   #88
Burbank90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackwheat View Post
During the last big recession, it became out of fashion to appear to be flaunting wealth. So even many of the ultra wealthy cut down on their purchases of luxury items. Art prices took or dip or held steady during 2008-09.

It might be easy for a guy to justify a $10-12k purchase of a watch on a 100k salary when his 401k is going up 10% per year. But if the stock market goes down 5-10%, or if it looks like layoffs at work are possible, that $10k watch purchase most likely will be deferred.

In a economic slowdown the well-to-do will not be deterred. But the thousands of guys who have to really stretch to be able to afford a Rolex most likely would be. And those are the guys who have been driving demand.
This.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Burbank90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:30 AM   #89
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
It will come back to normal (MSRP prices). Real question is when? It can take 2, 3, 5 years. I need to put my money where my mouth is and should sell BLNR and SS Daytona right?

No, I am 50 years old. I don't know how many good years I got? I would rather enjoy my watches rather than waiting for downturn. This is guaranteed that I am not getting any younger :)
Old 24 April 2019, 10:35 AM   #90
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

A decade-old bull market has a lot to do with what's happening in the luxury world, but the reality is most folks never spent much time in jewelry stores unless they were buying gifts for their SO, or passing by one in an airport. Social media has exponentially exposed brands like Rolex to younger generations. More eyeballs = more demand, it's really as simple as that.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote