The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: Have your Rolex purchased been influenced by Social Media?
YES! I am all in on the hype and will buy based on trends seen on social media. 22 5.41%
Maybe. I use social media as part of my decision process, but don't buy BECAUSE of it... 92 22.60%
Absolutely Not. Keep your SnapFace or Instabook to yourself!! 293 71.99%
Voters: 407. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 April 2019, 10:28 AM   #31
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

There are a ton of WIS on Instagram. Folks here aren't paying attention if you think it's just douchebags showing off their bling to gain followers.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:41 AM   #32
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
A prevalent theory as to the uptick in demand for Rolex is that people are being influenced by Rolex content on social media such as instagram. These people then go out and purchase a Rolex.

Is that you?

I am curious as to if a mostly WIS group would be influenced by social media as the general public is thought to be?
It’s not me...I don’t think 🤔
But it is definitely my generation.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 11:11 AM   #33
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I'm old. I was buying Rolex before social media was "a thing".
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 12:12 PM   #34
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
It was actually Tudor who got me to buy a Rolex.

I had wanted a Sub most of my life but had sort of forgotten about it. Hadn't even worn a watch in 10 years. Seemed like watches had been going through an ugly phase. But I started seeing Tudor ads in magazines I actually read like Wired and Esquire. I thought the BB line were about the best looking watches I had seen in a long time. Turned out they were good watches too. Sooooo.... started down the research path. Found out that Tudor was owned by Rolex and eventually circled back to the watch I had wanted all along; a 5 digit sub.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 12:23 PM   #35
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’m one of the few cavemen who arent on Facebook, Instagram, etc. Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing but I’m content this way:)
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 12:50 PM   #36
Keepchasing
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
I’m one of the few cavemen who arent on Facebook, Instagram, etc. Maybe I don’t know what I’m missing but I’m content this way:)
Same here. Wife and I never joined because we value our privacy. (I also don’t give out my phone number when a checkout person asks).
Keepchasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:02 PM   #37
grimps
"TRF" Member

I started taking an interest in nice watches when I first started working overseas.
I work in the Oil Industry and was travelling through different airports around the world every month .I always had time to spend while waiting for my flight so I used to look at the Rolex and Omegas that was in nearly every airport around the world.
I also started to notice people on the planes and in the airport wearing nice watches.
The last ten years social media has helped me learn a lot more about the watches I was interested in and also made me hungry for my next purchase
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:08 PM   #38
Wingslogo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wingslogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:11 PM   #39
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I share my watch love on IG and sometimes FB, but neither ever influenced my watch purchases.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:22 PM   #40
drtii
Banned

Watch: 216570 | 126660
All I ever see are rappers with their iced out AP's and Richard Mille's. So, no.
drtii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:53 PM   #41
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Doesn't everyone know that TRF is a social medium?

I don't spend time on the big names in social media, except for YouTube, but I have spent a lot of time on watch forums and I cannot deny that seeing all the great watch photography, reading the reviews and comments, and everything else that we do here hasn't influenced me, but at the same time, I haven't made any Rolex or Tudor purchases that have broken the rules that I set for myself when I started out and each purchase has been well thought out.

Now when it comes to "lesser" watches, that's where I can be spontaneous and I have been influenced by YouTube videos.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 02:00 PM   #42
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
No....the reputation for a solid, reliable watch influenced me to purchase a Rolex.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:31 PM   #43
vicsdca
Banned

On an unconscious level it probably has to some extent.
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:18 PM   #44
sdh1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
There are a ton of WIS on Instagram. Folks here aren't paying attention if you think it's just douchebags showing off their bling to gain followers.
Correct. Some of the most respected people on here have huge amounts of followers on Instagram.... highlander65 (Ken) has close to 100k followers and I bet fremstar is not far behind. It’s a great way to see all these watches in one place in ‘real life’ pictures
Old 24 April 2019, 04:25 PM   #45
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdh1980 View Post
Correct. Some of the most respected people on here have huge amounts of followers on Instagram.... highlander65 (Ken) has close to 100k followers and I bet fremstar is not far behind. It’s a great way to see all these watches in one place in ‘real life’ pictures
Yep definitely there are some senior guys on TRF that have big followers in Instragram. I follow some of them myself they have beautiful pictures.

I'm 100% sure they have influenced people on their purchases as well. I know they have influenced me maybe not directly because of their posts but surely unconsciously without me realizing they have.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:34 PM   #46
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
No, apart from this forum which has increased my knowledge of whats out there. Mostly other models that i previously did not take into account in the Rolex line up.

I don't follow instagram, face book etc. Celeb endorsements/wearing do nothing for me in regards influencing me to purchase a particular item.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:54 PM   #47
mrporter
"TRF" Member

Actually yes kinda. This is when I purchased my first Rolex Sub in 2014. I followed a Scandinavian guy in Instagram for fashion inspiration, he owns a sub and always took a photo of it lol

Old 24 April 2019, 05:03 PM   #48
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
Not really.

ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:16 PM   #49
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Not sure about social media, but this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UHBHLzM6Cg
pushed me in the right direction.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:33 PM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No but TRF has for sure.
Old 24 April 2019, 05:39 PM   #51
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

I think that the term "social media" encompasses a wider range of online relationships than we might at first consider. It's not just the popular sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Utube that some TRF members claim not to access but there is a much broader range of connections that we are exposed to which even though we don't realise it, impact on our choices and preferences. Anyone who thinks that they are immune from this are just kidding themselves.

Even if you were to totally disregard every comment, suggestion, inference you ever heard regarding a particular watch or brand, the very fact that others were not alienating themselves to such a degree would nevertheless affect your buying decisions indirectly.

We all like to think that we are in control but the ugly truth is we are just pawns in a much bigger game.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:21 PM   #52
Amazing
"TRF" Member

Funny how many people think they don't use social media. I assume you mean you don't use facebook/instragram/twitter but you probably do use email/whatsapp/youtube etc.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:24 PM   #53
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Everybody on here is using social media.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 06:55 PM   #54
Amazing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Everybody on here is using social media.
Good point. This forum is another example
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 07:58 PM   #55
Stew7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex
I use this forum and other forms of social media to research watches, look at cool pictures, and understand the history. Particularly if I want to pull the trigger on a watch I might not have the opportunity to try on before purchasing, I want to see how it looks and get peoples thoughts on it.

Sure, we're all influenced a little by it but we've all gained from the growth of sites like Hodinkee as watch enthusiasts and that is thanks to social media.
Stew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:51 PM   #56
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
I don't use FaceTwit or TwatBook, but as people have said, these watch forums are a form of it, so yes, I confess, I am a watch forum addict.

So much so that I realised a while ago, I look at pictures of watches online more than I look at my own watches. Despite this I still can't find the next one.

So for now I have to be content with what I have.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 09:59 PM   #57
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
I first saw the BLNR on an instagram page, and that started my intrigue... then love... then obsession... and purchase. This form has only exasperated that with other Rolex models.
Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:08 PM   #58
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Afraid today so called social media site are becoming anti-social media sites and myself not a member of any of them.Even if I was my life or what I bought or wished to own would not be influenced by them.But today many of these so called social media sites do influence many that do not have a mind of there own.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 10:11 PM   #59
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
In the beginning of the internet, forums (bulletin boards) became the places to be for people with the same interest and that was lots of years before Facebook and Instagram were invented.

I've always been very active on car and watch forums but some of those don't exist anymore because they were replaced by Facebook groups.

When Facebook started the social media thing I didn't do anything with it because I was afraid about what they will do with all the data they collect from you and I have never used the social media platforms just because of that.

I watch a lot of Youtube videos but I don't use it as a social media thing of it and I don't subscribe, comment or share stuff.

I don't like the green color of the 116610LV and I don't like the GMT's in general (the bezel is too busy for me with all the digits on it) and I've always said that the popularity of the 116710BLNR and the 116610LV is purely based on the internet hype.
Old 24 April 2019, 10:21 PM   #60
Langnam
"TRF" Member

I used to walk into a watch shop, try one on, and if I liked it, bought it.

I can’t do that now, so even though I’m not on social media, I am effected.

TS are fine for retail or less than retail pricing, but dang, you’ll not see me traipsing over to buy one at twice retail.

Thanks social media! I really appreciate your “helpfulness.”