The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 February 2019, 04:56 AM   #61
MRJW74
"TRF" Member

I go to Paris quite a lot with work and never had any issues or worries wearing a PP (albeit steel 5726). Though this summer in Barcelona I did have a GMT Batman pulled off my wrist in broad daylight. I’d certainly never wear anything nice there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2019, 02:47 PM   #62
rodo
"TRF" Member

I was in paris a few months ago. Was in a McDonalds late at night because my prengnant wife was craving a sundae so I went to go get her one. I understand French but I had no idea what was going on, some drunk dudes, blocking the door, etc. I felt very very jncomfortable. Was wearing my hulk. Wished I wasn’t.
Old 27 February 2019, 06:15 PM   #63
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

Just bizarre..... how vast swathes of the US are considered fine and Paris is seen as a warzone.
Yes - when it is Saturday and the Gillets Jaunes are out in force then clearly you don't out in the middle of it with your Diamond studded Rolex! The mind boggles that you would in any case go anywhere near any of that.....
I just give up - the bottom line is it big cities always have the risk that it will get stolen. NYC is no different to anywhere else or LA or London or any of them...... It is really just that simple....
FD.
Old 27 February 2019, 07:02 PM   #64
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor View Post
Just bizarre..... how vast swathes of the US are considered fine and Paris is seen as a warzone.
Yes - when it is Saturday and the Gillets Jaunes are out in force then clearly you don't out in the middle of it with your Diamond studded Rolex! The mind boggles that you would in any case go anywhere near any of that.....
I just give up - the bottom line is it big cities always have the risk that it will get stolen. NYC is no different to anywhere else or LA or London or any of them...... It is really just that simple....
FD.
From my experience, the difference is that in US cities (except NYC) you mainly travel by car between spots, while in European cities you walk a lot and sometime you have to walk thru bad blocks to reach your destination
Old 27 February 2019, 10:38 PM   #65
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

In the US, you could back up your $45k gold watch with another .45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 February 2019, 01:51 AM   #66
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbbc View Post
In the US, you could back up your $45k gold watch with another .45

So many tough guys.
Old 28 February 2019, 02:26 AM   #67
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
From my experience, the difference is that in US cities (except NYC) you mainly travel by car between spots, while in European cities you walk a lot and sometime you have to walk thru bad blocks to reach your destination
this is the big disconnect in these discussions. Americans going to europe and they walk, or take public transportation. Not many people from LA do that when you go from place to place in a personal bubble. Being exposed to people they dont know, speaking a language they dont understand, and not being familiar with their surroundings is scary to people. They are on edge no matter if anything bad happens or not.

St louis or Baltimore have like 60X higher murder rates than london for example. So as a benchmark for violence the fear is misplaced. I assume most people value their life the most, and watches are just a proxy for determining overall personal safety more than anything.
St Louis 65 murders per 100k
Baltimore 55 murders per 100k
NOLA 40 per 100k
Detroit 40 per 100k
London 1.45 per 100k
Paris 1.8 per 100k
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 28 February 2019, 04:03 AM   #68
aa909
Banned

simple rule of thumb I use is if I don't know the area well, or I've never been before, then I don't take my expensive watches or high end cars.

If you've been to Paris (or where ever) and know the city, local areas and where you'll be, then have at it. If not, then don't wear a flashy gold watch.

I lived in NYC for 30 years and would give the same advice to someone coming into the city who's "uninitiated".

Good Luck!
Old 28 February 2019, 06:00 AM   #69
Gambonista
"TRF" Member

Was in Paris last March—wore a Panerai 275 on a leather strap. Never felt unsafe in any of the tourist areas, train stations, or on the streets. I don’t think I would recommend wearing anything too flashy, or in YG—why invite potential problems? Do you really want to defend your watch or waste time reporting this to French police so you can file an insurance claim? BTW, I recommend using Chauffeur-Prive (French Uber), which worked out very well for getting around the city. Have fun and relax!

Old 28 February 2019, 06:13 AM   #70
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Yeah, don't under any circumstance wear a Gold AP in Paris... A bit drunk.... Looking like Jimmy Buffett on a bad day... Going to his concert and then continuing the night after on foot across town. No never! You'll get mugged they say.

Oh yeah. You CAN!!! In Paris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1708.jpeg (209.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1708C.jpg (107.1 KB, 165 views)
Old 28 February 2019, 06:29 AM   #71
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I have lived in major cities around the world, Paris, NY, LA, SF, HK, Tokyo to name a few,and frankly beside Tokyo, Paris is pretty safe IMO, this is the capital of luxury goods for god sake, L.V bags, Cartier watches and jewelry are everywhere, and I once read that French people have the most gold per capita
than anywhere in the world, which I am inclined to believe. yes, like any big cities there is crime, thief is always a danger, but probably less so than in most U.S cities. I go to Paris at least once a year, I always wear a Luxury watch never had an issue.
Old 1 March 2019, 12:32 AM   #72
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Yeah, don't under any circumstance wear a Gold AP in Paris... A bit drunk.... Looking like Jimmy Buffett on a bad day... Going to his concert and then continuing the night after on foot across town. No never! You'll get mugged they say.

Oh yeah. You CAN!!! In Paris.
Get mugged for the shirt not the watch! haha I'm with this guy live it up.
Old 1 March 2019, 01:14 AM   #73
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
So many tough guys.

Packing a 0.45 ain’t being a tough guy....it is equalizing the situation, or more. Where else in the world can you feasibly do this legally?

You can do this illegally in many parts of the world, that may be more akin to being a ‘tough guy’.

Old 1 March 2019, 02:14 AM   #74
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbbc View Post
Packing a 0.45 ain’t being a tough guy....it is equalizing the situation, or more. Where else in the world can you feasibly do this legally?

You can do this illegally in many parts of the world, that may be more akin to being a ‘tough guy’.

the fact its even necessary says a lot. thats sort of the point. statistics prove that.

enough about that. Is it safe threads always have someone bringing that up. every single time
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 1 March 2019, 02:28 AM   #75
aa909
Banned

the OP hasn't even come back to this thread. LOL!! he poked the bees nest and vanished

To be honest some of you guys have taken this question too personally.

let me ask another question, should I drive my 911 Turbo in downtown Detroit while flashing my Rose Gold AP out the window and yelling racial slurs? is it safe?...

Old 1 March 2019, 05:55 AM   #76
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
the OP hasn't even come back to this thread. LOL!! he poked the bees nest and vanished

To be honest some of you guys have taken this question too personally.

let me ask another question, should I drive my 911 Turbo in downtown Detroit while flashing my Rose Gold AP out the window and yelling racial slurs? is it safe?...

Old 1 March 2019, 04:52 PM   #77
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the fact its even necessary says a lot. thats sort of the point. statistics prove that.

enough about that. Is it safe threads always have someone bringing that up. every single time
Yes, no point... Like pouring water on a duck.

But I do find it interesting that someone with the name UKBBC and location Singapore is talking about forty-fives...