The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 January 2019, 10:39 AM   #121
billylimwk
"TRF" Member

I think the BB58 is a good watch on its own and not compared to the sub. Its different brands afterall.
billylimwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 11:44 AM   #122
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Why buy an overpriced Tudor when you can have the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh God..
Old 24 January 2019, 12:28 PM   #123
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorbaja27 View Post
Oh God..

Haha. That's funny. I meant that to read Rolex!

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 12:31 PM   #124
frankieb96
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM356
Love my fifty-eight, though I may end up selling.
frankieb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:27 PM   #125
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
For me the Sub maxi case is a non-starter. I didn't/wouldn't go for the 58 as an alternative however. Certain things are missing imho. First the 58 is a pretend diver. How can a watch be a true diver with out a diver's extension? This is a real issue for the current Tudor divers imho. In comparison to the Sub it also lack bracelet quick adjustability and ceramic bezel insert. Although the size and thickness are friendlier for those with smaller wrists, for me the right answer is only found in the 116600 Sea Dweller. It has all that the Sub has but in a much friendlier form. If I really wanted a fashion diving watch then the BB58 might be the one. I don't.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:39 PM   #126
alpine29
"TRF" Member

Double Post! Long work day...
alpine29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 02:54 PM   #127
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
For me the Sub maxi case is a non-starter. I didn't/wouldn't go for the 58 as an alternative however. Certain things are missing imho. First the 58 is a pretend diver. How can a watch be a true diver with out a diver's extension? This is a real issue for the current Tudor divers imho. In comparison to the Sub it also lack bracelet quick adjustability and ceramic bezel insert. Although the size and thickness are friendlier for those with smaller wrists, for me the right answer is only found in the 116600 Sea Dweller. It has all that the Sub has but in a much friendlier form. If I really wanted a fashion diving watch then the BB58 might be the one. I don't.

So none of the old Submariners made by Rolex are true divers watches as they have no extension.

What is a true diver? By all actual definitions and standards it is. You must have something the rest of the world does not.

So when was a ceramic bezel a requirement for diving?

I have enough watches whereby I can honestly say no Rolex made is a barrier for me to own, but I'd choose a 58 over any current Rolex offering.

watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 03:01 PM   #128
kokota
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
How can a watch be a true diver with out a diver's extension? This is a real issue for the current Tudor divers imho. In comparison to the Sub it also lack bracelet quick adjustability and ceramic bezel insert.
Have you checked out the Tudor Pelagos?
kokota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:51 AM   #129
Newbie@SIN
"TRF" Member

Own both and now putting the Sub away in favor of the BB58 which is lighter and has longer power reserve 😎

The Sub has wrist presence and it will be back in my wrist soon!
Newbie@SIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 11:57 AM   #130
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Quote:
First the 58 is a pretend diver. How can a watch be a true diver with out a diver's extension?
I laughed WAY too hard at this.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 09:50 PM   #131
Gert
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub, TT SubC LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I would never buy a Black Bay Fifty-Eight instead of a 114060 but I could certainly see myself buying one in addition to the 114060, just like I would never buy the Tudor GMT instead of the BLRO but I would buy in addition to the BLRO. There are certain times when I don't want to wear a Rolex depending on where I'm going and who I'm interacting with and there are also times when I don't want to wear a my more expensive non-Rolex watches, so the Tudors are great for these occasions.

^^ This ^^ + It all comes down to what you really like. Never buy it as a substitute for a Rolex, if you have the money to spend that is
Gert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 10:31 PM   #132
stateman
"TRF" Member

I just wish I could find a BB58 to see and try in person.

Spoke with my AD about getting one last summer and they haven't been able to get me anything since, or even any word of availability. Also haven't seen anyone wearing one. During that time, they did get me a BLNR in only a couple months (had previously purchased a Hulk and Explorer from them, so have some relationship).

Funny how much harder it is for me to get the BB58 than the in-demand Rolex sports watches.
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2019, 10:42 PM   #133
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
For me, I love the iconic design of the Submariner and have always wanted one. However, the new 6 digit sub references just don't do it for me when on the wrist.

The 58 hits the sweet spot. To me, it's the closest thing to a new 5 digit sub you can get. And the product and fit and finish is impressive in everyway. Needless to say it's replaced the BLNR as my daily (for now).

For $3600 retail, it's an incredible value. And in terms of secondary market, I've seen them new on bracelet for around $3900. If you're in a state with 8-10% sales tax like me, then in reality there's no different at all between paying retail and buying with a secondary markup.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 09:48 PM   #134
Mangas
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Tudor is the poor man's rolex. Go for the submariner
As someone who owns both Rolex and Tudor you are full of crap lol
Mangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 10:03 PM   #135
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Rolex Submariner is the king. The big dog. Numero Uno. Stupid comparison.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 10:04 PM   #136
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Tudor is the poor man's rolex. Go for the submariner
More than 13 years on this forum and even longer on other sites ...
Will we ever get rid of these STUPID remarks ?

Or can new members go trough some kind of watch related IQ test before registration?
Old 27 January 2019, 10:15 PM   #137
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

Or can new members go trough some kind of watch related IQ test before registration?

Some would say Rolex is the ‘poor’ mans PP or AP

Anyone today saying Tudor is a poor mans Rolex is someone who just wants a recognizable brand name on their wrist and bought into the Rolex brand for nothing more.....and that’s okay too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 10:27 PM   #138
rolexdream
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The reasons for not going for the bb58 are why its so popular with 99% of people who wear it but DONT dive, its a smart looking dive watch which will never go more than half a meter in the bath. My sub has never used the bracelet adjustment apart from when sizing it, i dont wear over a dive suit. Bb58 has micro adjustments (3) which is plenty
rolexdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 10:39 PM   #139
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

I would just embrace comments like that to be honest. The whole time silly snobbery exists Tudor won’t be held near the same kudos level as Rolex by the sheeple. That’s a good thing if you ask me as I love what Tudor produce and the longer the Rolex fan boys stay away from Tudor the better (for those of us that want to pick up something as nice as the BB58 for £2500)
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:10 AM   #140
Burbank90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Genuinely curious - how is the 116600 packaged in a friendlier form for you? Lack of a cyclops? Just wondering since overall it is a bigger watch.
Burbank90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 12:07 PM   #141
Evo6
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR55131675BB58
The hype is real.

Evo6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bb58 , black bay fifty-eight