The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 February 2019, 05:38 AM   #1
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Icon20 When buying a pre-owned RO, how much value does a warranty add & polishing take away?

Wasn't sure how to word this question, so bear with me.

I'm in the market for a pre-owned 15400 and I'm weighing my aspects. I am not a huge baller, so this is a big purchase for me.

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume a brand new blue dial 15400 (from a gray dealer) is $25,000.

In your mind, if a Royal Oak had box and papers, but the warranty was expired (say, a 2012 production), how much would you expect the price to go down because of that?

What about if that same watch was polished and serviced once by AP during its lifetime?

What about a blue 15400 with NO box OR papers? How much would you subtract from the value?

Thanks!
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:58 AM   #2
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
I would skip the ovearhead and concerns and just buy a brand new one in another color. There are 3 other beautiful colors out there, have you seen them all in person?
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:08 AM   #3
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
...to answer your original question I would not feel comfortable buying it out of warranty and definitely not without box and papers, especially for a watch like this. Your going to want to make this purchase the "right way", it's a big one. Even with low end or cheaper watches I like to know the history and make sure everything is legit and checks out (not stolen for example), sometimes I get a receipt too if it was pre-owned. I'm just like that.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:29 AM   #4
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
...to answer your original question I would not feel comfortable buying it out of warranty and definitely not without box and papers, especially for a watch like this.
Thanks for your thoughts. However, soon enough, every 15400 will be out of warranty. I think the box and papers would be much more of a deal breaker.
Old 20 February 2019, 06:40 AM   #5
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. However, soon enough, every 15400 will be out of warranty. I think the box and papers would be much more of a deal breaker.
Agree with you. And, once you send it to APSC for a complete service, you will get another 2 year warranty placed on it.

I wouldn't take much off the asking price if it has been serviced at APSC or polished by them. If a service or polish has been performed by anyone else however, I would walk all together.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 06:41 AM   #6
dmb359
2024 Pledge Member

agreed.

Don't care necessarily about the warranty much (as I'm assuming you are looking at slightly older ones), as a lot of these watches are out of warranty. Getting the box and papers would be a bigger deal for me. A service history on an older version would be a huge value also.

I'd rather have a 6 or 7 year old one that was recently serviced by AP, than a 4-5 year old one that will be needing service soon. Of course a new or close to new one would be ideal, but it depends on the pricing premium.

I bought mine recently, a 2013 model, freshly serviced at AP, and I couldn't be happier with it. 1 owner watch, included all original paperwork (and I didn't have to pay for the service, lol)
Old 20 February 2019, 07:17 AM   #7
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Agree with you. And, once you send it to APSC for a complete service, you will get another 2 year warranty placed on it.

I wouldn't take much off the asking price if it has been serviced at APSC or polished by them. If a service or polish has been performed by anyone else however, I would walk all together.
This. AP is relatively reasonable on service costs and turnaround times, so out of warranty but with clear provenance is doable and preferable to no clear provenance IMO.
Old 20 February 2019, 07:37 AM   #8
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

as long as polished by ap service center, that wouldn't make almost any difference, and may even make it be a little more given the freshening. Box and papers however...definitely a bigger difference for sure.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 08:16 AM   #9
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Freshly serviced by AP with warranty, I'd say 15% less than market price for BNIB

With B&P and no service/warranty - I'd take off another $1400-$1500 to account for the service ($950) and refinishing ($350)

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/se...rvices-prices/
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 09:22 AM   #10
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Pass on the no box no papers.

Everything else, as said by Roger above.

I thought you liked the 15500 from other posts I remember reading (I might be confused).
Old 20 February 2019, 09:43 AM   #11
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterserg View Post
I thought you liked the 15500 from other posts I remember reading (I might be confused).
Absolutely I did, and I e-mailed the boutique immediately after the announcement, and they seemed receptive and happy to help, at that point. I e-mailed again to check in this week, and they told me no-go until at least next year, so here we are.
Old 20 February 2019, 10:15 AM   #12
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all the input.

Basically now, after abandoning the idea of buying a naked one, I'm split between two different 15400s, both H series with box and papers, therefore out of the warranty coverage time frame.

The one located in another country says it's been serviced once, by AP, but doesn't have any service documents. The one located locally (both brick and mortar stores, by the way) doesn't know the service history at all. It has a couple of surface scratches.

Will AP verify service history if I bring the watch to a boutique and/or give them the serial numbers?
Old 20 February 2019, 11:32 AM   #13
aa909
Banned

No box & no papers = thousands $$$

I’ve seen the equivalent pre-owned pieces that would command $18K with box and papers asking $14K without box and papers. That’s a big discount. Personally I wouldn’t buy without box and papers but to each his own
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 04:22 AM   #14
Jp28
"TRF" Member

You should be looking at around a $2k (call an AD for exact numbers) discount to cover service and new bezel (nothing else should have needed polishing).
So with that kind of discount you will be good.
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 06:27 PM   #15
flauntes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pass on the no box no papers.

Everything else, as said by Roger above.

i am in a similar pickle except its for a 15450BA that has box and papers but no plastic wrapping on the bracelet links (read from another thread all new AP watches now comes without the plastic protection on the links?).

my question is, is the box and papers + warranty card enough to really ensure the watch itself isnt a replica ( i know i am being paranoid but the watch is 30000+ usd and i really want to be certain and not constantly irked by the prospect of it being a knock off)

any help would be greatly appreciated!
flauntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 03:40 AM   #16
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Box and Papers is a must for a modern piece like this.

I would say warranty is not a big issue. Condition of the watch (of course) and usage of the watch is much more important. If the watch is out of warranty, I would budget a service as a part of the price and send it in as soon as you get it.

A watch with warranty shouldn't necessarily command a huge premium. At the end of the day I rather deal with a watch with no warranty and causes no problems then a watch that has warranty but requires constant TLC with the service centre (i.e. a lemon).
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2019, 05:34 AM   #17
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flauntes View Post
i am in a similar pickle except its for a 15450BA that has box and papers but no plastic wrapping on the bracelet links (read from another thread all new AP watches now comes without the plastic protection on the links?).

my question is, is the box and papers + warranty card enough to really ensure the watch itself isnt a replica ( i know i am being paranoid but the watch is 30000+ usd and i really want to be certain and not constantly irked by the prospect of it being a knock off)

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Of course it is not enough. Buy from AD or very reputable seller.
Old 22 February 2019, 08:33 PM   #18
flauntes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Of course it is not enough. Buy from AD or very reputable seller.

HI,

thanks for the rapid response. i would naturally purchase from AD or boutique for a peace of mind but...been scouring for one for over a year and its non existent (discontinued). thus having to resort to grey dealers..

so far the grey dealer has been able to provide pictures that includes box papers hang tags etc but did say the watch is in dubai at the moment and can be in Hong Kong once i specify an arrival date.

does that sound...shady?

if this dealer is shady, is there any in HK trusted members of this forum can recommend me checking out?

thanks!
Old 23 February 2019, 01:38 AM   #19
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Quote:
HI,

thanks for the rapid response. i would naturally purchase from AD or boutique for a peace of mind but...been scouring for one for over a year and its non existent (discontinued). thus having to resort to grey dealers..

so far the grey dealer has been able to provide pictures that includes box papers hang tags etc but did say the watch is in dubai at the moment and can be in Hong Kong once i specify an arrival date.

does that sound...shady?

if this dealer is shady, is there any in HK trusted members of this forum can recommend me checking out?

thanks!

The grey dealers network with each other to source specific watches for customers, so not necessarily a red flag. Who are you talking to for this deal?
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Old 23 February 2019, 03:20 AM   #20
flauntes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
The grey dealers network with each other to source specific watches for customers, so not necessarily a red flag. Who are you talking to for this deal?
Hi,

I spoke to a "Hamed" of LuxeWareHK via whatsapp
and upon climbing the reviews on their chrono24 account, seems like their HK office/studio is only possible for a viewing/inspection of the actual watch only after a deposit is paid via chrono24

havent really read into the chrono24s policy literature yet but from their(Hamed) response, it seems as if the deposit is refundable if the actual viewing isnt satisfactory (client end).

really struggling over this. i have nothing against grey dealers (they seem to be the only individuals that really has any inventory for viewing/purchasing these days), and would prefer AD or even Boutique anyday (purchased all three of my 15450st and the recent pepsi as well as other pieces all from ADs), but just no joy thus far with the 15450BA blue.

its quite a sum for this piece and thats why i am trying to find all the relevant info or assistance possible for this purchase. another member mentioned how even with full box papers hangtags warranty cards wont necessarily validate the piece of be authentic. making the process even harder..

i am willing to make the trip to Hong Kong if its all signs indicate its authenticity or if other members of this forum have purchased from them before..

again, great respect and thanks for the assistance.
Old 23 February 2019, 10:20 AM   #21
Superburrito
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
Who in the world would trash the box and papers for such a fine watch?

I would buy elsewhere.
Old 23 February 2019, 04:56 PM   #22
flauntes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburrito View Post
Who in the world would trash the box and papers for such a fine watch?

I would buy elsewhere.
just saw another member "denmanproject" has his up for sale and its acquired just this month!

hmmmm
Old 24 February 2019, 01:40 AM   #23
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Hummm, I have no experience with Chrono24 so I can’t help you further with that route. I can tell you that if you reach out to the trusted sellers here with exactly what you are looking for, they will reach out to their networks and see if they can help you out.
Old 24 February 2019, 02:45 AM   #24
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Hi,

I spoke to a "Hamed" of LuxeWareHK via whatsapp
and upon climbing the reviews on their chrono24 account, seems like their HK office/studio is only possible for a viewing/inspection of the actual watch only after a deposit is paid via chrono24

havent really read into the chrono24s policy literature yet but from their(Hamed) response, it seems as if the deposit is refundable if the actual viewing isnt satisfactory (client end).

really struggling over this. i have nothing against grey dealers (they seem to be the only individuals that really has any inventory for viewing/purchasing these days), and would prefer AD or even Boutique anyday (purchased all three of my 15450st and the recent pepsi as well as other pieces all from ADs), but just no joy thus far with the 15450BA blue.

its quite a sum for this piece and thats why i am trying to find all the relevant info or assistance possible for this purchase. another member mentioned how even with full box papers hangtags warranty cards wont necessarily validate the piece of be authentic. making the process even harder..

i am willing to make the trip to Hong Kong if its all signs indicate its authenticity or if other members of this forum have purchased from them before..

again, great respect and thanks for the assistance.
If there aren’t several reviews but the ad has detailed pictures, then I would proceed but ONLY if they take Amex or Paypal (which I pay through my Amex). NEVER wire funds to an unknown seller.

Keep detailed copies of their Ad and all pictures to document the condition of the watch as advertised. Once the piece arrives, If it is “Not as advertised” then you should return it. If they won’t take a return then opening a dispute with Amex will 99.9% result in your favor as long as you can document why the watch is “Not as Described”. Obviously it can’t be a dispute over a hairline scratch, but if it’s an obvious mis-representation Amex will refund you the full amount.
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2019, 03:52 AM   #25
flauntes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa909 View Post
If there aren’t several reviews but the ad has detailed pictures, then I would proceed but ONLY if they take Amex or Paypal (which I pay through my Amex). NEVER wire funds to an unknown seller.

Keep detailed copies of their Ad and all pictures to document the condition of the watch as advertised. Once the piece arrives, If it is “Not as advertised” then you should return it. If they won’t take a return then opening a dispute with Amex will 99.9% result in your favor as long as you can document why the watch is “Not as Described”. Obviously it can’t be a dispute over a hairline scratch, but if it’s an obvious mis-representation Amex will refund you the full amount.
spoke to the seller through whatsapp voice call earlier today.
seemed like a nice enough gentleman and offered the option for me to not having to pay a refundable deposit via chrono24 and that he'll have the watch ready for viewing when i visit. also provided the option of either wire transferring or cash (was told it takes two days for transfer to be completed).

it was a bit odd how he didnt seem to want the transfer to go through the chrono24 platform (possibly to avoid having to pay the service percentage fee for chrono24 i am guessing). ---LuxeWareHK does have a trusted seller status and had 77 reviews and 4.8/5 stars. so i feel conflicted somehow.

theres also another trf member denmanproject (Wayne) that posted a sale for the same watch and has been vetted

"FS: LNIB Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 15450BA - Feb 2018!"

but i dont see him placing an ad on chrono24.

any advice on how to proceed thats the safest?

any advice is appreciated and no disrespect to either of the parties mentioned.

thanks
Old 24 February 2019, 04:01 AM   #26
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Looks like Wayne (denmanproject) is in Canada, has been selling here for 3 years and based on past threads may take PayPal. Look at his old FS posts to see if he’s listed an email/phone number a while back and contact him via those (not just forum PM in case his ID was hacked). Safer than wire/cash on the spot in Hong Kong in my opinion.