The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 February 2019, 10:16 PM   #31
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
because crowd sourcing actual hard evidence for anything always goes well.

'Other users can upload current incidents, ranging from attacks to sexual assaults, and they will beamed straight to a smartphone or device. "... that means the majority of the incidents will originate from trolls
How much you want to bet that the non safe areas are predictable based on social prejudice and not crime statistics
There is a no go map for london as well because of all the acid attacks. So don’t feel left out

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/522499...too-dangerous/

They don’t seem to map all of the stabbings.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/810441...-death-euston/
Old 21 February 2019, 10:35 PM   #32
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
Yes, and Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint in this fashion capital
...and JFK was assassinated in Dallas. Best avoid Dallas in case you get assassinated.

Old 21 February 2019, 10:44 PM   #33
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Double gold in Paris.
I always wear my watches everywhere, even in Barcelona but I don't go to shitty area's in any city. Nothing to find but troubles.
Just be a little street wise and kick off all the strangers approaching you and groups of young teens. You know what to tell them. Lots of them are scam artists
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0018 copy 3.jpg (131.6 KB, 350 views)
Old 21 February 2019, 11:28 PM   #34
H_UK
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400
I go to paris regularly wearing an AP 15400 or a Rolex TT blue sub, no issues at all. Its like any big city, just be careful and dont flash your watch unnecessarily.
Old 22 February 2019, 12:40 AM   #35
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Insure it, wear it and if someone wants it just give it to them! New one will be coming your way soon after.
Old 22 February 2019, 12:43 AM   #36
leisen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherMins View Post
They threatened me. I posted about it last year. I would prefer not to get into details as I dislike talking about it. I only posted about it on this thread so that hopefully I can prevent someone else from losing a watch for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barcelona is full of thieves from Eastern Europe and North Africa running through the streets awaiting for tourists despite having dozens of police arrests. Politicians from Catalonia -and also the police managers- are only dedicated to get the independence from Spain and do not worry about this kind of crime. The current Mayor of Barcelona herself comes from a former group of housing squatters. And that's the result... Make you a favor and do not wear high end watches in this place.
Old 22 February 2019, 12:46 AM   #37
redsubby
"TRF" Member

Few years back I was on a trip with friends and her phone was stolen right off her pocket while riding the subway in Paris....
Old 22 February 2019, 01:07 AM   #38
aa909
Banned

Quote:
because crowd sourcing actual hard evidence for anything always goes well.

'Other users can upload current incidents, ranging from attacks to sexual assaults, and they will beamed straight to a smartphone or device. "... that means the majority of the incidents will originate from trolls
How much you want to bet that the non safe areas are predictable based on social prejudice and not crime statistics
I'm not familiar with this app, but the neighborhood apps I've used are very helpful and quite accurate. I've never seen any of what you claim.
Old 22 February 2019, 03:54 AM   #39
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Yeah, we have the app Citizen here in NYC (and I'm assuming in other cities) which is very useful and everyone that I know uses it!
Old 22 February 2019, 04:01 AM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Yeah, we have the app Citizen here in NYC (and I'm assuming in other cities) which is very useful and everyone that I know uses it!
looking at the app it appears its generated from 911 calls. Not users uploading themselves
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 22 February 2019, 04:37 AM   #41
holdtime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
Hello... I just returned from NYC and didn't think twice about wearing my rose gold 41mm ROC... I wore it the whole trip, received lots of compliments, and didn't feel uncomfortable at any point.

I'm flying to Paris in a few weeks and trying to decide which watches to bring with me. We are staying at in a nice area, the Four Seasons, but I'm getting the feeling that the French are a bit more modest and low-key with their jewelry, watches, and clothing etc?

Should I leave the gold watches at home and maybe just bring my steel 41mm ROC and a white gold dress watch?? Both would be a lot more low key than my gold/blue dial chrono...
Yes , if you do not keep a low profile, Leave it home.
Do not advertise where you staying. keep a low profile
Old 22 February 2019, 05:09 AM   #42
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Recently went to Italy for a few weeks and brought my trusty Seiko 6105. Had a blast. Never missed my other watches. Leave the nice stuff in the bank and enjoy something different on your trip.
Old 22 February 2019, 05:11 AM   #43
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If you have any doubts, may be just leave it at home?

It won't kill you if you don't slap a piece of jewellery on your wrist, but if there is a small chance or scenario where you run into a unfortunate circumstance, why risk your life/health or that of the others with you... just to wear a watch?

Seems like an easy choice to me. Keep it at home if you have doubts.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:07 AM   #44
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

A bit out control some of these comments.

In reality Paris is place with some very wealthy parts which are up there with some of the most luxurious real estate in the world. Then there are bits, like the dreaded banlieue, where you really, really don't want to go, even with nothing on show at all.

It is much like London, New York and everywhere else. Yes it is generally safe where you will be but all the common sense and usual rules apply. Namely - stay in the nice bits and don't have it really on show or you are going to just invite trouble. This would apply anywhere in the world except maybe Tokyo and Singapore.

After that it is your decision. Some people will prefer not to wear nice watches when away just because you don't quite know and the surroundings are not familiar and of course in Paris you have the added dimension that they speak French which if you are not able to speak it will make you just generally a bit more uncomfortable.

That's my view anyway..... and I've previously lived there......

FD.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:47 AM   #45
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
You will be fine. Bring the Gold.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:50 AM   #46
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor View Post
A bit out control some of these comments.
You think?!

It's EUROPE! Not a war-zone people. Just because uncle-Ray once got pickpocketed on the Metro in Paris, doesn't mean there's an angry mob of Parisienne-Zombies waiting to feed on your watch!

Sorry, but as a European I find these comments utterly hilarious.
Old 22 February 2019, 06:54 AM   #47
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Anywhere you go, there is always a chance of a theft.

I don’t think singling out Paris is really fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 22 February 2019, 08:23 AM   #48
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
You think?!

It's EUROPE! Not a war-zone people. Just because uncle-Ray once got pickpocketed on the Metro in Paris, doesn't mean there's an angry mob of Parisienne-Zombies waiting to feed on your watch!

Indeed - Paris is just like anywhere else........ No worse and no better - just need to be sensible like always!

FD.
Old 22 February 2019, 08:31 AM   #49
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
looking at the app it appears its generated from 911 calls. Not users uploading themselves
I can open a new "event" right here from my couch. Every "event" has it's own chat screen, and the ability to record live from the scene.
Old 22 February 2019, 10:39 AM   #50
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Aren't the yellow vest protests against the rich protecting the rich, like Macron, so I wouldn't flash the gold at their riots.
Old 22 February 2019, 12:12 PM   #51
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

not worth it man, nyc (if you're in manhattan) is extremely safe because nyc has like 40k cops and cameras everywhere and really no side streets/alleys for the most part

paris would just be a lot of unfamiliarity imo and not worth the risk, especially since its cold so what's the point anyway?
Old 22 February 2019, 01:48 PM   #52
artschool
"TRF" Member

Old 22 February 2019, 01:49 PM   #53
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
You think?!

bonjour and welcome to Paris
Old 22 February 2019, 04:36 PM   #54
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post

bonjour and welcome to Paris
France has a history of people showing their opinion in forms of protest or even violent protest when they feel their government is screwing them over.

Sure, being in the midst of this picture, most wouldn't like it. But the yellow-west protests are not inclusive of all of Paris.

I really doubt most NO-sayers have been to Paris or France for that part. Paris is very safe as long as you act sensible.

Only city I've ever been shouted and arms swinging at by a crazy person is in NYC, manhattan.

So you may "Bonjour Paris" all you want, but living in the real world, I have no problem going there. Sadly I won't get there before september.
Old 23 February 2019, 12:35 AM   #55
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Three top cities for watch theft: Barcelona, Mexico City and London.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Old 23 February 2019, 02:52 AM   #56
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I wear my watches anywhere in NYC even in the hood, my comfort zone.lol But I’d think twice about wearing them anywhere else. And I do have insurance just in case.
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Old 23 February 2019, 08:50 AM   #57
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

G-Shock or track your touring steps with a Fitbit. One less thing to think about.
Old 23 February 2019, 03:22 PM   #58
Willygallardo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP's - Rolex
I wore my RG rubberclad in saigon ..
Old 25 February 2019, 01:02 AM   #59
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Why risk it. I’ve been to Paris many times and had no issues, but others with whom I work have been robbed. My answer is, “no....” to your question. Anything can happen anywhere , but you’ll be a target in the wrong places. You don’t want to attract uneeeded attention in a place like Paris. Even if insured, the police there will ask you why you were dumb enough to wear a gold watch... and it will be a huge hassle if you get robbed. I don’t believe Paris is under legal control right now and personally, I’d not even go there right now, for any reason, much less wearing a gold watch. And I’ve been there about 50 times since 2006, for work. Right now, it’s a powder keg with the unemployment rate and trade issues, besides the crime.
Old 25 February 2019, 02:11 AM   #60
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Wow, how did they take the watch off without him knowing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
There are some professional theft rings in Paris that target tourists so be careful.
My father in law got his watch stolen right off his wrist on the metro and didn't even realize until an hour or so later. Luckily it was not an expensive piece just looked like one. Like anywhere just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.
Closed Thread