The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2018, 01:51 AM   #91
Photovideopro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
The stepped riveted bracket on the 58 is a no go for me. Rolex/Tudor moved away from it decades ago. It looks crap compared to a nice tapered oyster. That’s a good reason to stay away from new black bays. The ETA has a nicer look even if the proportions aren’t perfectly classic.

My 2 cents
Photovideopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 12:11 PM   #92
Wakafc86
Banned

I'll be comparing the two side by side over the coming days.

For me they are two different pieces, but ill compare anyways.
The BB58 is for those who want a little more of a vintage vibe, and character. Popped up a review of it recently - https://youtu.be/GUvI7-W0z_I
The Sub is certainly more subdued in the looks department, however has a classic look, that just works.

Cant go wrong either way. However if I was picking one, it would be the 58, due to it fitting into my collection better.
Wakafc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:23 PM   #93
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Rolex is Rolex and Tudor is still just a Tudor.

Pick what you like but they aren't really comparable.

Not the same for sure but certainly comparable. The list of comparisons is huge. The last of differences is quite small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
watchmavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:40 PM   #94
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I would never buy a Black Bay Fifty-Eight instead of a 114060 but I could certainly see myself buying one in addition to the 114060, just like I would never buy the Tudor GMT instead of the BLRO but I would buy in addition to the BLRO. There are certain times when I don't want to wear a Rolex depending on where I'm going and who I'm interacting with and there are also times when I don't want to wear a my more expensive non-Rolex watches, so the Tudors are great for these occasions.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2018, 01:47 PM   #95
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Whenever these discussions on Tudor and Rolex come up, or Rolex v anyone, I tend to look at posters signatures. I find myself wanting to know where they're coming from. Do they have a balanced collection. Even when only 2 watches. When I see posts from users with only Rolex I view them rightly or wrongly as perhaps not having balanced views.

Do others do this?

Old 3 August 2018, 05:54 PM   #96
oldblock
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
Sorry but what is the comparison????
oldblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 07:39 AM   #97
vtsnowplow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Fifty-Eight for me because it captures the spirit of what the Submariner used to be before it became a piece of luxury man-jewellery.
This.

1. every guy walking the streets these days has a sub.

2. a 58 owner is most likely a watch enthusiast, while most modern sub owners (of course not forum members) are just rich DB's. I would rather be the enthusiast.
vtsnowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2018, 09:17 AM   #98
Gordonhurst
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gordonhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 01:29 PM   #99
bncapass1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Pepsi 1675
Since I currently own a 16610 date, I always wanted to add a no date Sub to my collection. A few years ago, I was at Betteridge in Vail contemplating a red or blue 41mm Black Bay as a less expensive alternative but changed my mind last minute and picked up a nice pre-owned 90's 14060 two weeks later and I'm glad I did. I don't know what it is with the a Tudor brand that makes me change my mind last minute. Maybe it goes back to when I was young in the capitalistic 80's, all my friends aspired to own a Rolex. At that time, I had never even heard of a Tudor Sub until I got into watches 12 years ago. I know this sounds bad but like a Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari Testarossa and the Porsche 911 of the period represented a degree of success, a Rolex on your wrist had the same symbolism. Just look at how the brand has played out in pop culture. It's a worldwide known luxury status symbol. It was something for a young man in college to aspire to. Not to mention that 007 wore a Rolex Sub. For me, the Tudor has always felt like a lower cost compromise. Don't get me wrong, it's a great watch brand with great DNA but the reality is, it will always be second best to it'd older brother. And as anyone who's been afflicted with the hobby will tell you, never compromise on the watch you really want because because of price as it will only cost you more in the long run if you settle however if you truly yearn for a Tudor BB 58 and not a Rolex Submariner, by all means...
bncapass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 01:41 PM   #100
DonBateman
Banned

Watch: I like watch
The sub has a crown on it, other than that the 58 is a better looking watch. I’d take the 58.
DonBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 01:41 PM   #101
Double Barrel
Banned

Tudor is the poor man's rolex. Go for the submariner
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 02:15 PM   #102
bncapass1
"TRF" Member

I also want to add to my previous comment is something to also consider is resale value. While a Submariner does costs 2x more than a Black Bay, you can almost always expect the Submariner to hold it's value better and likely appreciate.
Old 4 October 2018, 02:37 PM   #103
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
We get it that you don’t like Tudor. Now stop harping on about it.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 02:49 PM   #104
simon aus
"TRF" Member

what do you buy if you've already got a few watches,
want new... reasonable size..
and want a rolex with a bezel, but don't want the crown guards.

if rolex had of had something, i would have bought it.
sorry.. waited for it..

i nearly settled for an explorer.
still a fine watch but not exactly what i wanted.

if a brand didn't want to jump on the band wagon and do the re-issue thing,
a clever brand might just have another brand..
oh hang on..

tudor simply got my money, because rolex didn't have what i wanted.

Last edited by simon aus; 4 October 2018 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: punctuation and info.
simon aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 03:24 PM   #105
watchmavan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why buy an overpriced Tudor when you can have the real thing.

Old 4 October 2018, 05:32 PM   #106
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmavan View Post
Why buy an overpriced Tudor when you can have the real thing.

“Overpriced Tudor”.
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 05:39 PM   #107
James444
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex n Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBateman View Post
The sub has a crown on it, other than that the 58 is a better looking watch. I’d take the 58.
A saw a lot of rich people have tudor n a lot of poor people wearing rolex
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 06:33 PM   #108
Double Barrel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James444 View Post
A saw a lot of rich people have tudor n a lot of poor people wearing rolex
Of course but the rich people will not look at Tudor first, they would just so happen to add one in their collection at some point.
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 09:53 PM   #109
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Of course but the rich people will not look at Tudor first, they would just so happen to add one in their collection at some point.
So on the day they are wearing their Tudor they are viewed by others as poor even though they may be sitting on a safe full of Rolex at home
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 October 2018, 12:06 AM   #110
bncapass1
"TRF" Member

Years ago, I really started to crave a two tone Datejust. I always remember lusting over the 16013 from the movie American Psycho. Then I came across a Tudor Prince Oysterdate 74033 two tone which looks identical to a 16013 but 2mm smaller and for less than half the price so I bought one. After a while, I started to notice the gold on the center jubilee was wearing off. It dawned on me that it was plated unlike the two tone Datejust which is 14k. I sold it soon after and while I built up my sports model collection, the two tone Datejust continues to be a itch I will eventually need to scratch. Considering today's 16013 prices vs 12 years ago and I wish I hadn't settled and bought the Rolex in the first place.
Old 30 November 2018, 03:58 AM   #111
Kobus
"TRF" Member

I sold a new sub and now have a 58. Will choose the 58 between the two. So balanced.
Kobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 04:19 AM   #112
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
5 digit - BB58 - SubC for me. I am poor though.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 04:39 AM   #113
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
5 digit - BB58 - SubC for me. I am poor though.
I agree with that. I don't like the maxi cases, nor the ceramic bezels of the current Rolexes.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 04:42 AM   #114
goldenboy80
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I don't buy the theory that Tudor is a poor man's Rolex. I own several Rolex watches but when I do something very active or hang out with regular folk, a Tudor (not a Rolex) just seems more appropriate. I'm sure the Rolex Sub is physically tough enough to be a "beater" but it also looks to me like a gorgeous piece of jewelry (with a rep to match). In my eyes the Rolex Sub seems too fancy an object to wear while changing a tire, chopping wood, surfing, or drinking beers at a dive bar. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to own one (though I'd opt for a 5513). But owning a cheaper watch is nice too.

I looked at certain daily wearer alternatives before buying the BB58- Oris Diver 65, modded Seiko SKX, Sinn 104, Seaforth Halios, Lorier Neptune, Squale 1521, Doxa and Certina subs. The BB58 was more expensive than those but to me it seemed worth it. So to me, a Tudor isn't a poor man's Rolex... it's a rich man's beater.
goldenboy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2018, 05:25 AM   #115
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I have a 116610ln and bb58. I can say they are very different. If I had to pick one, I'd prob say SubC would win but not by much! I honestly wouldn't be able to get rid of either right now as I love them both. I must say, the Tudor wins in terms of watch value relative to respective price.

A 5 digit sub is really the way to go if you like the size and vintage look of the 58 but find yourself wanting a Rolex.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:12 AM   #116
alpine29
"TRF" Member

In the Summer of 2017, I came back from a long hiatus of not owning a luxury time piece by purchasing an Explorer 1 Mk2. It came down between that and a No Date Sub. But for some reason the No Date Sub was still calling to me, so a month later, I picked up the No Date Sub! Fast forward To Fall 2017, I end up selling the No Date Sub to a good friend, surprising him, my wife, and myself.

Looking back, I suppose I was so quick to buy the No Date Sub was because it was something I had never experienced and I thought I wanted. I just couldn’t justify having two luxury watches and letting one sit around for a month at the time. The Sub didn’t sing to me quite like the Explorer did, which is the biggest surprise. Everything about the No Date Sub therotically was “perfect” (to me), a real modern purists watch IMO. I even chose it over the Hulk and BLNR that it sat next to the display case. I know at some point I will have a Sub variant again, but I am in no rush, especially now with all the current hype.

Getting back on point, this past Friday, I got a text from an AD that I spoke with earlier this year. They just got a Black Bay Fifty Eight in stock, my name is up, and they will hold it for a short period of time awaiting my response. I text back loosely committing to show up on Saturday. Ha, really who am I kidding here, I waited this long, why not go check out the watch in person to satisfy my curiosity, it’s not like I am required to buy it! I stroll in the AD late Saturday and ending up leaving with the watch.

Comparing the No Date Sub and the BB58, there’s something more whimsical and nostalgic about the BB58, which ultimately makes it more attractive IMO. In terms of value, the Tudor is really hard to beat, given the heritage, quality and in house movement. Rolex also represents real value at its respective price point, but dollar for dollar Tudor had the edge in this battle. In the end, it’s purely subjective, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I had both watches in my collection.
alpine29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:19 AM   #117
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy80 View Post
So to me, a Tudor isn't a poor man's Rolex... it's a rich man's beater.
That's quote-worthy right there.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 05:33 AM   #118
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Tried a BB58 the other day.

For me there is no comparison. The BB58 is by far the better proportioned watch. But. And it’s a big “but” it felt almost too small on my flat 6.75 inch wrist.

Maybe I’m too used to the SD43. But the BB58 wears like a DJ36

It’s beautiful though.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 06:51 AM   #119
Rocket launcher
Banned

The BB58 is a great value for money watch
However a Rolex sub it is not...
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2018, 07:05 AM   #120
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

When the ads for the BB58 started showing up, I thought (and still do) it was a beautiful watch and that I would try to buy one when they hit the AD. Then I started researching Rolex subs and I liked the look of the 14060 and 114060. So I called the AD and asked if they had a 114060. (The BB58 wasn’t out yet) She said they did have a SubC in the case And I should come try it on. I drove there and sat in my car for a couple of minutes, knowing that if I walked in there, I might not be able to resist, so I started the car and drove home. A few days later, I called and asked if they still had it. They did, so I thought I would just “go have a look”. Well, you know where this is going. An hour later, the bracelet was adjusted, I paid the MSRP, and was walking out wearing it. I have a couple other nice ( not Rolex) watches that I have not worn since I bought the SubC, that’s how much I like it. But now, when I see pics of the BB58 on others wrists....mmmmm.
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bb58 , black bay fifty-eight