The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: How do you like AP new line Code 11.59?
Like 116 24.32%
Dislike 361 75.68%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 January 2019, 10:35 PM   #121
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I voted 'like', but in all honesty I'm on the fence until I see one in the metal. Whatever happens I doubt I'd go as far as disliking them, I'm just speculating that in real life they are going to look more appealing than in pics.
I see I voted like too, maybe this poll is actually too skewed to the positive!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2019, 11:40 PM   #122
Sho-nuff
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP │ ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachty 1 View Post
What I don't understand is if the Ro is your main seller and it's such an iconic model how do you price the entry model higher then the ro
The entry 11.59 models are only available in precious metal for now. A precious metal 15400 is much more expensive than the entry 11.59 model.
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:08 AM   #123
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

AP is the one-hit-wonder of watchmakers, albeit with countless iterations. This new line will never take off, except for the few die-hard customers who are keen to splurge. On the other hand, kudos to FHB for trying really hard.
Valedictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 12:35 AM   #124
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valedictorian View Post
AP is the one-hit-wonder of watchmakers, albeit with countless iterations. This new line will never take off, except for the few die-hard customers who are keen to splurge. On the other hand, kudos to FHB for trying really hard.
i never totally get that argument. Rolex is an oyster case company and almost all of their watches look just as similar or even more so than a RO. Almost all of them have the same basic complications as well so far more repetitive IMO. A sub and a GMT and a YM is the same watch almost. A sub, sea dweller, DSSD is the same watch in three sizes. A DJ, DD, Sky dweller are pretty similar as well.

a RO, a ROC, a RO PC, a RO grand complication are far more varied.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:06 AM   #125
ygoloroh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i never totally get that argument. Rolex is an oyster case company and almost all of their watches look just as similar or even more so than a RO. Almost all of them have the same basic complications as well so far more repetitive IMO. A sub and a GMT and a YM is the same watch almost. A sub, sea dweller, DSSD is the same watch in three sizes. A DJ, DD, Sky dweller are pretty similar as well.

I've never thought about it this way but you're right that Rolex watches are actually all pretty similar. Seems to me they are more case/functionality-focused (different color bezels, fluted vs not, helium release valve) than movement/complications-focused. Different set of priorities.
ygoloroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 02:10 AM   #126
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yup, been said many times before, but some Rolex guys do live in a bubble, a rather uncomplicated bubble.
Old 20 January 2019, 02:39 AM   #127
Hard_Six
"TRF" Member

Watch: those three’s roll
Quote:

This is true. Every time I buy a new Rolex, I ask my wife if she likes it. Her response is always the same... "Looks just like all the others ".

Hard_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 11:55 AM   #128
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post

Hands on review. I think this guy has the common sense in his judgement
I think he comes off like an absolute AP bootlicker and does not appear to be unbiased in any material way. He's not alone in this regard. Other "critics" are equally to blame.

Also, the rank condescension displayed by people who claim one can't fairly judge the watch via pictures (unless you like the watch then of course giving the watch the thumbs up based on a picture is just fine!) is more than a little off putting: I don't need to see a watch in the metal to confirm that I hate and will never buy a watch with a date lazily placed at 4:30.

Further, that is what many, many people do in this hobby: they look at pictures and read reviews to take a first cut from the cohort of watches they may purchase in the future. The watches that survive the initial winnowing are then looked at in more detail including in the metal. Claiming otherwise as a way to try and downplay the aborted product launch Code 11.59 (even by 2019 standards that name is beyond stupid) has turned out to be is deeply disingenuous.

Finally, the way the CEO has handled the backlash is a case study in how not to handle an adverse situation and his actions have personally soured me on the entire brand.
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 04:08 PM   #129
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerBelair View Post
I think he comes off like an absolute AP bootlicker and does not appear to be unbiased in any material way. He's not alone in this regard. Other "critics" are equally to blame.

Also, the rank condescension displayed by people who claim one can't fairly judge the watch via pictures (unless you like the watch then of course giving the watch the thumbs up based on a picture is just fine!) is more than a little off putting: I don't need to see a watch in the metal to confirm that I hate and will never buy a watch with a date lazily placed at 4:30.

Further, that is what many, many people do in this hobby: they look at pictures and read reviews to take a first cut from the cohort of watches they may purchase in the future. The watches that survive the initial winnowing are then looked at in more detail including in the metal. Claiming otherwise as a way to try and downplay the aborted product launch Code 11.59 (even by 2019 standards that name is beyond stupid) has turned out to be is deeply disingenuous.

Finally, the way the CEO has handled the backlash is a case study in how not to handle an adverse situation and his actions have personally soured me on the entire brand.

Yeah, I completely agree. I do not like how he has handled it at all and it has turned me off a little from AP, which I never thought I would say. I'll keep the ones I have but very unlikely I would buy anything else they are putting out. And to be honest, the 41mm+ offerings they have clearly prioritized aren't of interest to me anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 06:43 AM   #130
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerBelair View Post

Couldn't agree more. Does FHB think that people will change their minds in regard to the new line just because he gets upset about the general negativity? Puerile display of emotions there. Much too defensive.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 07:07 AM   #131
edo
"TRF" Member

Fratello's Robert Jan Broer is the only 100% honest one, and he completely reveal stupid damage control done by AP and their CEO... but he isn't on AP paylist nor friend of the brand... another story is that he will never done this to Omega....

Journalists are asked by AP not to take a ‘frontal’ picture of this watch without showing the case band or lugs etc.
That sounds a bit like confessing something is wrong with the watch. If the design would be all awesome, it should have also looked good when you are looking right at the watch (dial side), like the Royal Oak actually does. Or most other famous designs. The CODE 11:59, and that goes especially for the three-hand version and chronograph, just look nothing special when seeing it face-side. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, as I actually ran into people who are quite fond of it. But to me, for a watch with this price-level and also for a watch from a brand that has been all about ‘breaking the rules’, it is a dull watch.
edo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 07:15 AM   #132
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygoloroh View Post
I've never thought about it this way but you're right that Rolex watches are actually all pretty similar. Seems to me they are more case/functionality-focused (different color bezels, fluted vs not, helium release valve) than movement/complications-focused. Different set of priorities.

Plenty of advanced case material / design options for AP too.

Skeletonisation, ceramic, forged carbon, cermet, dial finishing, different polishing techniques, magic gold (oh wait...)

I think the repeated use of the octagonal design with visible screws is just more apparent because it is so unique vs. any particular round watch with 3 hands.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 12:00 PM   #133
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Sorry I meant far too defensive for his own good. On the bright side the new 41mm RO+ROO hybrid looks pretty nice.
speedfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 06:16 PM   #134
eonflux
"TRF" Member

The case is cool from the side, but boring from the front.
And the hands and dials too. Disappointingly generic.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:12 PM   #135
TJMike
Banned

A few interesting tidbits from Ariel Adams in a review of the 11.59 Chronograph:

"Whether or not Audemars Piguet actively sought to buy media opinion, it appeared to many consumers and members of the watch industry that they did. This resulted in a massive perception blow to the brand, which is regrettable."

"With all the elements of the Code 11.59 that may have been minor blunders, Audemars Piguet is only producing a fraction of their roughly claimed 40,000 number of watches produced annually. According to Audemars Piguet, the brand will produce only about 6,000 Code 11.59 watches (across eleven new models) over the course of three years. So, only about 2,000 of the watches will be released in 2019." Also all 11.59 watches are boutique exclusives.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/audemar...nograph-watch/
TJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 04:34 AM   #136
s_haverford
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO,OP-36 White
At around 4:40 the Hodinkee staff acknowledged the band waggoning that was happening around this watch and it is refreshing to see them acknowledged that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m00VrYp5BLI
s_haverford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 01:56 PM   #137
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
The case is cool from the side, but boring from the front.
And the hands and dials too. Disappointingly generic.

Agree with you, but honestly who looks at their watch exactly from top without seeing the side of the watch. Most of time I’m looking at my watch, I see the side along with the top of it.
blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2019, 01:58 PM   #138
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_haverford View Post
At around 4:40 the Hodinkee staff acknowledged the band waggoning that was happening around this watch and it is refreshing to see them acknowledged that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m00VrYp5BLI

The watch might look a bit dull and generic from the pics. I’m a firm believer that we should all hold our judgments until we see it in real life. I’m actually excited about the Code 11:59; I think they released too many complications and models at one time.
Old 28 January 2019, 08:59 AM   #139
AJ_in_LA
"TRF" Member

Looks nice but doesn’t say AP to me. Who knows maybe that will change. Maybe not.
AJ_in_LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 12:49 AM   #140
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I think the name alone is so dumb it would deter me from owning one. They can probably come up with better dials and it will look nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 02:30 AM   #141
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by astewartconst View Post
I think the name alone is so dumb it would deter me from owning one. They can probably come up with better dials and it will look nice

While I am not crazy about the name, it would be pretty ridiculous for me to avoid buying it for the name alone. Only watch people would know what it was named, anyway, unless it blew up. And we can always refer to it as the 15210 or whatever...

But honestly, I thought there was no way it would actually have that name. I thought it was just a project name until release.
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 05:31 AM   #142
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post
While I am not crazy about the name, it would be pretty ridiculous for me to avoid buying it for the name alone. Only watch people would know what it was named, anyway, unless it blew up. And we can always refer to it as the 15210 or whatever...

But honestly, I thought there was no way it would actually have that name. I thought it was just a project name until release.

Same here as I thought it was project name or an event name leading up to the reveal.
Old 29 January 2019, 08:35 AM   #143
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

If we all call it the Code Red maybe they will rename it. 2019 could be the year of the cave.
Old 29 January 2019, 09:13 AM   #144
usps016
Banned

This line doesn’t scream AP to me at all. I don’t like the dials at all.
usps016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2019, 11:46 PM   #145
Sonzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/Breguet/IWC/Rlx
Has anyone seen it in real?
Rolex: GMT Master II Batman.
Sonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 01:55 AM   #146
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonzy View Post
Has anyone seen it in real?
Reviewers have, similar feedback.

But to be honest, do we really need to? I have not seen a watch I liked online and walked into store and said, "OMG, I hate it in person". You generally see it online and it attracts you to go take a look in person if possible. Now, AP is saying, "you have to see it in person to appreciate" and oh yeah, "you have to go to a boutique which may not be in your area to do it". Sorry, it needs to be at least somewhat attractive in photos for me to even consider spending almost 30K, this doesn't even come close to that.
Old 1 February 2019, 02:14 AM   #147
RolexZen
"TRF" Member

Watch: No Rolex
How do you like the new line Code 11.59?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Reviewers have, similar feedback.

But to be honest, do we really need to? I have not seen a watch I liked online and walked into store and said, "OMG, I hate it in person". You generally see it online and it attracts you to go take a look in person if possible. Now, AP is saying, "you have to see it in person to appreciate" and oh yeah, "you have to go to a boutique which may not be in your area to do it". Sorry, it needs to be at least somewhat attractive in photos for me to even consider spending almost 30K, this doesn't even come close to that.

I somewhat agree with this. I am sure I will not buy from this current Code 1159 lineup, but I am looking forward to visiting an AP Boutique in a couple weeks to check them out in person.* I *think* the case will be amazing in person, and really have no idea what to think about that crystal. If I like enough features of these watches, I may be more open to them later, when dials are tweaked.

As to your comment about never walking into a store and hating a watch you like online, I would say I have been surprisingly underwhelmed in the past. Or I have still liked a watch but found it just didn’t wear well on my wrist.

*I hope the Code 1159 watches will be at the Boutiques by early February as announced. Of course, maybe by the time I visit them (10 February), they will already be sold out. :-)
RolexZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 06:55 AM   #148
shafran
"TRF" Member

the hands!

My biggest pet peeve with this watch is the hands. I think they could have done a much better job using the ro hands, or breguet hands, or rolex style hands, or lange style hand or.....
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 07:35 AM   #149
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexZen View Post

As to your comment about never walking into a store and hating a watch you like online, I would say I have been surprisingly underwhelmed in the past. Or I have still liked a watch but found it just didn’t wear well on my wrist

Yeah but you liked it enough to go look at it in person. This code thing won't even get me off my couch to look at it, let alone drive to another state!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 1 February 2019, 07:38 AM   #150
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Ewww...

Just ewww.
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote