The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 February 2019, 06:53 AM   #1
jedburgh
"TRF" Member

Brand new GMT needs service ?

Hi everyone,

I finally got my hands on the GMT I have been looking for for months.
I am wearing it since november and I realized (thanks to the precision of our everyday GPS devices like iPhone iPad etc) that the watch was running a little bit late after a few days.

I mean, when I set it up, I do it carefully with let’s say my iPad. I synchronize hours, minutes AND seconds with my iPad GPS-clock. And after a few days I noticed that the GMT was running late by a minute or so.

Does it need service ? That kinda sucks.

Thanks for the advice
jedburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 08:33 AM   #2
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
A full minute in less than a week is too much. I'd take it to have it regulated. COSC certification is for -4/+6 seconds per day.
Old 6 February 2019, 10:01 AM   #3
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Definitely, have it regulated.
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:04 AM   #4
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the GMT. I would wear it for a month and use a website like time.gov to track your accuracy.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Shdrolex
"TRF" Member

What exactly does "regulated" mean ?
Shdrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:16 AM   #6
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdrolex View Post
What exactly does "regulated" mean ?
I pulled this from a quick search on the mystical internet . . .

"Regulating is moving the regulator pointer to fast or slow adjusting the rate. A watch may run at different rates in different positions. The task of regulation is to adjust it so that the average running rate is as close to a zero error between the most common positions. Thus, the correct setting for the regulator will be slightly different for each owner, depending on how the watch is worn or carried (this is sometimes referred to personal error). In the shop a timing machine is used to quickly adjust the rate."
Old 6 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #7
Shdrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrocop View Post
I pulled this from a quick search on the mystical internet . . .

"Regulating is moving the regulator pointer to fast or slow adjusting the rate. A watch may run at different rates in different positions. The task of regulation is to adjust it so that the average running rate is as close to a zero error between the most common positions. Thus, the correct setting for the regulator will be slightly different for each owner, depending on how the watch is worn or carried (this is sometimes referred to personal error). In the shop a timing machine is used to quickly adjust the rate."
Thanks for the response. Do they have to open up the watch to regulate it?
Old 6 February 2019, 10:24 AM   #8
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shdrolex View Post
Thanks for the response. Do they have to open up the watch to regulate it?
Yes

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Shdrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Yes
Got it thanks
Old 6 February 2019, 10:36 AM   #10
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
Wear it a few months first before sending it in to regulate. Since it is a new watch it will need to be broken in.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 03:53 AM   #11
jedburgh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboevo2 View Post
Wear it a few months first before sending it in to regulate. Since it is a new watch it will need to be broken in.
Well I am wearing it since 2 and 1/2 months...
What do you mean by « it will need to be broken in » ?

And thank you all for the advice
Old 7 February 2019, 03:56 AM   #12
jedburgh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrocop View Post
Definitely, have it regulated.
How do I proceed ? Can an AD do that on the spot or do I have to send it somewhere else ?

That kinda pisses me off for a brand new watch ! A Rolex watch !!
Old 7 February 2019, 03:59 AM   #13
exador
Banned

Which GMT? LN/BLNR/BLRO.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 04:05 AM   #14
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedburgh View Post
How do I proceed ? Can an AD do that on the spot or do I have to send it somewhere else ?

That kinda pisses me off for a brand new watch ! A Rolex watch !!
The AD "should" be able to do it as they "should" have a watchmaker that is Rolex certified. I for one don't think its a big deal to have it opened as long as they have the credentials and equipment to do so.
Old 7 February 2019, 04:19 AM   #15
jedburgh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
which gmt? Ln/blnr/blro.
blnr
Old 7 February 2019, 04:33 AM   #16
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
It's my understanding that a watch under warranty will go to RCS for regulation, no opening at the AD, or warranty is bust.

My watch need regulation under warranty, and I'm hesitant to be without it for a few weeks.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 04:46 AM   #17
jedburgh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
My watch need regulation under warranty, and I'm hesitant to be without it for a few weeks.
Same here. That’s why I’m asking if anyone has a precise idea of how this works.
Old 7 February 2019, 05:06 AM   #18
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Take it directly to RSC if you have one near you. They'll figure it out.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 05:44 AM   #19
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
A Rolex watch is regulated by adjusting so called Microstella screws. "The Microstella screws are designed such that if the screw is adjusted inward, the balance speeds-up, similar to an ice-skater doing a spin; skaters bring their leg in to speed up. The screw adjusted outward towards the balance wheel rim will slow the balance down.

An adjustment on a small screw = 1 second/day and an adjustment on a large screw = 2 seconds/day

Any adjustment on one screw requires the same adjustment on the opposing screw or else the balance will be adjusted out of poise."

https://www.minus4plus6.com/regulation.php

There is some space for light regulation without any physical intervention:

"1. To gain a few seconds, lay the watch flat face-up overnight.

2. To lose a few seconds, lay the watch vertically with the crown downwards overnight.

3. To lose a few more seconds, lay the watch vertically with the crown up."
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 06:05 AM   #20
Burlington
"TRF" Member

^this method for altering the time keeping overnight works very well

I’ve stopped tracking mine now as I always seem to need to adjust the time zone before it ever gets too far out of sync to actual.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 06:39 AM   #21
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
I don't think this calls for an adjustment of the microstella. I think they just turn the little lever that holds the end of the hairspring.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 07:29 AM   #22
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's my understanding that a watch under warranty will go to RCS for regulation, no opening at the AD, or warranty is bust.

In my experience, not true. That would be akin to sending a BMW back to Spartanburg to be serviced while it's still under warranty. A full service I could understand, but a simple regulation can be handled by the local AD. Maybe I have more faith in my local AD than I should, or maybe they are better than others, I dunno. I trust them to take care of what they can and send it to RSC if it's outside their capabilities.
Old 7 February 2019, 09:15 AM   #23
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
It takes days to properly regulate the watch doesn't it? Perhaps expect it to be done at a RSC here in the States.

Edit. I notice now you're in Europe. I know nothing about what ADs do there or where watches go in the EU. I would definitely get it serviced. Rolex will have it back to you within COSC.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:56 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
I don't think this calls for an adjustment of the microstella. I think they just turn the little lever that holds the end of the hairspring.
Not true regulation is done by adjusting the gold microstella nuts and screws on balance wheel equally maximum adjustment is around 150 seconds either way.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:07 PM   #25
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would first ensure that the watch was properly wound and set and track the time on a daily basis for a week. If the watch is out to a level that is not acceptable then I would go back to the AD and see what they say. The watch could be magnetized and can be easily checked for that and rectified if that is an issue. My AD will not open a Rolex or Tudor that is under warranty. They go to the RSC. If the watch is out of warranty they have a Rolex watchmaker on site that can handle most repairs. Those are instructions from Rolex.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 10:13 PM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

That is completely false.
And your post about regulating as well, it is like others stated done with the microstella.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 08:26 PM   #27
jedburgh
"TRF" Member

Tom Kerrington’s Watch Tracker app is also very helpful determining the exact offset and the necessity of sending the watch to RSC.

In my case I’ve been recording about 20 data points over 3 days to determine the exact offset and rate. When the watch speeds up I use the overnight technique and over the last 3 days it appears that I’m at less than +3s per day so it is now acceptable.

I have an appointment at RSC on tuesday I will keep tracking and decide if I indeed give them the watch.

I don’t really want to abandon my baby for several days/weeks if it is not necessary.
Old 16 February 2019, 06:31 AM   #28
jedburgh
"TRF" Member

Well as stated before, I finally cancelled my appointment with RSC as my GMT is about 30s fast after ten days of tracking, which is within acceptable COSC standards. No need to take my baby away from my wrist for so little trouble...!
Old 16 February 2019, 06:48 AM   #29
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedburgh View Post
Well as stated before, I finally cancelled my appointment with RSC as my GMT is about 30s fast after ten days of tracking, which is within acceptable COSC standards. No need to take my baby away from my wrist for so little trouble...!
It isn't COSC standards I would compare watch against, it's Rolex's own standards of +-2s/day. The other thing is running rate is dependent on power reserve. I haven't worn my GMT for 36 hours, which means it was on lower side of its power reserve and it lost 10+ seconds in that time, whereas on average it gains 0.5-1 second if worn daily. So do you wear it daily? If not that could be the reason.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 07:24 PM   #30
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not true regulation is done by adjusting the gold microstella nuts and screws on balance wheel equally maximum adjustment is around 150 seconds either way.
Actually, because these modern Rolex movements don't actually have a regulator of any sort.
It could justifiably be argued and perhaps more accurately, that the movement in question is actually "adjusted" through the Microstellar screws on the balance as there's no other mechanism such as a regulator per se.

I imagine the process would be a little more involved but more practical once set up.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote