The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 February 2019, 02:20 PM   #1
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15500ST Grey
Root Beer or AP 15400??

Hey guys!
I am currently confused about what to choose between these two models . I like both of them. I don’t have either a Rolex (I had a datejust 36 116200 - lost it) or a AP RO in my collection yet and I want to choose something different . I am 25 years old right now and this is for my wedding in the near future and it’s a huge purchase. I really like the root beer. The way the colors pop and how it is a bit different from the crowd and the AP has always been a watch I want (I don’t know if the AP is suitable for my age and will end up looking too flashy).. If you guys have a choice - which one will you go? ($4000 price difference between the two is also a big deal for me) or is there another watch I should look into ( yacht 40 blue is also being considered)

My AD has the root beer for me at retail if I put in a deposit ( no prior history with the AD)
The AP I am Getting deals for brand new at 18500 with papers.

I am a really confused soul.

Thanks.
MavaTalluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:32 PM   #2
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

I really like the root beer, but many (most) would probably go for the AP. What speaks to you more?

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:32 PM   #3
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:50 PM   #4
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
I really like the root beer, but many (most) would probably go for the AP. What speaks to you more?
I don’t know really. Is the root beer a good choice for a first Rolex ? Should I stick to the no date sub. I feel the AP is not the correct watch for me right now. I loveeee that watch but I wanna achieve more before I can get my self to buy the AP. Uuuugh I am sorry I am not helping . I am so confused lol. I am new to the watch hobby and I lost a watch already . It taught me a lot and I want my next purchase to be perfect 👌🏼
Old 15 February 2019, 02:50 PM   #5
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Thank you !
Old 15 February 2019, 02:50 PM   #6
Jcy90
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & SUB
Jcy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:01 PM   #7
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I like the 15400. But for whatever reason I was never able to bond with it. I think I’d go for the root beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 February 2019, 03:03 PM   #8
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

It seems that the Root Beer and the 15400 are the watches that are "singing" to you. I noticed that you didn't mention the 114060 at all in your first post, so I'm thinking that it doesn't excite you as much as the other 2 models? I would buy the watch that makes you feel good and the one that excites you the most. Don't buy a certain model just because you feel that it's a good entry level watch.

For me, it would be the Root Beer hands down. That particular model excites me the most out of all 3 of the watches you mentioned. I also love the colors and how it stands out from the other Rolex models.

Welcome to TRF too btw.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:07 PM   #9
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
It seems that the Root Beer and the 15400 are the watches that are "singing" to you. I noticed that you didn't mention the 114060 at all in your first post, so I'm thinking that it doesn't excite you as much as the other 2 models? I would buy the watch that makes you feel good and the one that excites you the most. Don't buy a certain model just because you feel that it's a good entry level watch.

For me, it would be the Root Beer hands down. That particular model excites me the most out of all 3 of the watches you mentioned. I also love the colors and how it stands out from the other Rolex models.

Welcome to TRF too btw.
Yup, I think I am being too impulsive and quick in my thought process . Maybe a little more time would help 🤔. Maybe this is due to me being new to the watch hobby .
Old 15 February 2019, 03:10 PM   #10
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

How hard is it to get the root beer ? If the prices mellow down I can grab one in a few years that is gently used lower than retail and get the AP this year as I feel the prices are not going to go down on that model? This is my monetary point of view in this thought process. Thanks a lot for helping a new watch lover in the forum guys !
Old 15 February 2019, 03:14 PM   #11
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Another vote for 15400
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:27 PM   #12
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Pepsi
Old 15 February 2019, 03:36 PM   #13
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Both great watches. I'd take the 15400.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:37 PM   #14
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I saw the Root Beer in NYC over the holidays and while I'm generally not a TT fan, it was gorgeous. That said, I own and would suggest the 15400. While some would assume it's dressier than the Root Beer, I'd say it's not. The TT and PCL on the Rolex will attract more attention than the AP even with all the facets on the 15400. I wear my AP with shorts, jeans, and dress clothes and think it's very versatile. Plus being younger, most around you won't know what an AP is, while the Rolex will draw attention.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:43 PM   #15
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Root Beer or AP 15400??

15400 does nothing for me for some reason but neither does the root beer. Sorry no help. Between the two I’d go AP. I definitely don’t think the AP is too flashy as almost no one would notice what it is most likely unless they are are watch people then if so who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mbdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:45 PM   #16
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Old 15 February 2019, 03:49 PM   #17
edyu
2024 Pledge Member

If $4000 is a big deal then get the rootbeer. Also I think first time purchase should be an AD experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavaTalluru View Post
Hey guys!

I am currently confused about what to choose between these two models . I like both of them. I don’t have either a Rolex (I had a datejust 36 116200 - lost it) or a AP RO in my collection yet and I want to choose something different . I am 25 years old right now and this is for my wedding in the near future and it’s a huge purchase. I really like the root beer. The way the colors pop and how it is a bit different from the crowd and the AP has always been a watch I want (I don’t know if the AP is suitable for my age and will end up looking too flashy).. If you guys have a choice - which one will you go? ($4000 price difference between the two is also a big deal for me) or is there another watch I should look into ( yacht 40 blue is also being considered)

My AD has the root beer for me at retail if I put in a deposit ( no prior history with the AD)

The AP I am Getting deals for brand new at 18500 with papers.

I am a really confused soul.

Thanks.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 05:19 PM   #18
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I think you should buy the watch you like best. Sounds to me like you have possible issues with both, so hold on a while and try plenty more of you can get to a decent grey with some stock.

There are plenty of lovely watches a bit lower down the price scale. If $4k is a big deal as you say (and it is for many of us, plus you have an upcoming wedding), then is spending this kind of coin a good idea esp when you could get something quite a bit cheaper which I bet you’d love as much.

Just my thoughts.....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 05:28 PM   #19
mjr24
Banned

Thought about the AP for a split second. It's a nice watch....but a bit too boring for me. The Root Beer is a lot more "bang" for the buck with the rose gold. I have a 166710LN as my normal "boring" black face watch....but I would never pay over double that for the 15400. I get it's an AP....but to me it's just your run of the mill black dial stainless steel watch.

Just my 0.02. I don't wear expensive watches because I am trying to be incognito. It has to look good, be classy, but I don't mind a little flair. Quite honestly if you told people one watch was $18,500 and the other was $14,000....pretty much everyone would say the Root Beer was the more expensive looking one. It's just a really nice watch.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 05:41 PM   #20
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I suppose you mean the new GMT CHNR 126710, which is not a Rootbeer ?
Easy choice, AP does nothing for me and looks very outdated. Nice bracelet , beautifully made but so seventies, just as the Rootbeer which I also don't like.

The new GMT is a winner, beautiful watch

Last edited by joli160; 15 February 2019 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
joli160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:11 PM   #21
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
Thought about the AP for a split second. It's a nice watch....but a bit too boring for me. The Root Beer is a lot more "bang" for the buck with the rose gold. I have a 166710LN as my normal "boring" black face watch....but I would never pay over double that for the 15400. I get it's an AP....but to me it's just your run of the mill black dial stainless steel watch.

Just my 0.02. I don't wear expensive watches because I am trying to be incognito. It has to look good, be classy, but I don't mind a little flair. Quite honestly if you told people one watch was $18,500 and the other was $14,000....pretty much everyone would say the Root Beer was the more expensive looking one. It's just a really nice watch.
I see you have the root beer, how are you liking it ? Do you think it will too over the top on the wrist of a 25 year old ? And is it a good first Rolex ? My AD has both the Black dial gmt and the root beer for me if I want to put in a deposit - also, I really don’t care too much about resale value but I would feel bad if the root beer becomes a 10k watch in a few years ..
Old 15 February 2019, 11:31 PM   #22
dales29
"TRF" Member

I would take the new GMT Root Beer personally, but ideally dont worry what you think is suitable or not for your age. Buy what you like its on your wrist nobody elses. :)
dales29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:39 PM   #23
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Relax...you're 25, there will be plenty of time for watches in your future.

The correct answer, of course, is both, but...not at the same time, obviously.

I'm way biased as I have the CHNR, and just can't get over what a nice watch it is. With your upcoming wedding factored in, I would def go CHNR...and then add the AP as you get a little more financially settled. My two cents.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:49 PM   #24
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
Rolex , welcome to the forum
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:53 PM   #25
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Sarsaparilla
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:04 AM   #26
feb29
Banned

I would go with Root Beer cose I like the watch not the AP image.
RB is so much stylish and elegant watch compare to industrial look of AP.
The colors of RB is so nicely blended, it's a magical to me. AP is more exclusive and perhaps perfectly finished watch.
feb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:15 AM   #27
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Go with the AP and stop thinking about it because it is no contest!
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #28
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Ballin for 25 I’d say. It’s a little flashy. If it’s your only than I’d probably try to steer you to
Sub no date or OP white. Less expensive and more versatile. I love chnr btw just not as an only
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #29
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Which dial RO?

I'd make sure you try them both on before deciding anything. APs tend to wear very large.

Once you've done that, just decide on which you like best. Congrats on the Wedding.
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:23 AM   #30
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

Couldn’t wait to dump my 15400. Way too easily scratched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote