The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 07:53 AM   #61
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
I really like the root beer, but many (most) would probably go for the AP. What speaks to you more?
I'd skip the AP.

The Rolex will serve you reliably for years without the hassles.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:01 AM   #62
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post

I'd skip the AP.

The Rolex will serve you reliably for years without the hassles.
Reliability over fashion.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:10 AM   #63
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Root Beer or AP 15400??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsyrlin View Post
AP - fragile, requires regular and expensive servicing, scratch magnet and quite frankly oversold, over hyped and repeated million times over.

I’d guess you’ve never owned one? FYI - not everything you read on the internet is true.

I’m not OCD with my watches and my 15400 looks great after nearly 5 years. Sure, it has some scratches but the PCLs on my BLNR look worse than the AP RO bracelet.

It hasn’t required service yet, it’s been mogul skiing with me many times over the years - including crashes and is running great. Basic services just under $1k.

And for those who say value retention is better with Rolex - that’s BS. I paid $11,300 and it’s worth around $16k today.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 08:50 AM   #64
mjr24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavaTalluru View Post
I see you have the root beer, how are you liking it ? Do you think it will too over the top on the wrist of a 25 year old ? And is it a good first Rolex ? My AD has both the Black dial gmt and the root beer for me if I want to put in a deposit - also, I really don’t care too much about resale value but I would feel bad if the root beer becomes a 10k watch in a few years ..
I love it. When people say pictures don’t do it justice, they don’t. It’s an amazing watch in person. That being said, if this is going to be your only watch....it’s a bit much for everyday normal use in terms of flash. That’s the only way I’d choose the AP over this...but again, for $19k....I can find watches I like better for everyday use for half that.

I just find APs boring. They have a good name but I don’t feel most of their designs are unique. They are watches that, unless you are a WIS, you probably wouldn’t look twice at.
mjr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 09:44 AM   #65
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15500ST Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
I love it. When people say pictures don’t do it justice, they don’t. It’s an amazing watch in person. That being said, if this is going to be your only watch....it’s a bit much for everyday normal use in terms of flash. That’s the only way I’d choose the AP over this...but again, for $19k....I can find watches I like better for everyday use for half that.

I just find APs boring. They have a good name but I don’t feel most of their designs are unique. They are watches that, unless you are a WIS, you probably wouldn’t look twice at.
I know. It’s my wedding watch and I want it be special. My everyday right now is a gshock all steel and the speedmaster sapphire sandwich which I love. If I go for the AP, it will be a watch that I’ll wear maybe every Friday to the office, weekends (no clubs), and an evening out for a dinner and similar scenarios. Something I’ll remember my wedding for life with. I will be super happy if no one notices it. No one notices my speedy but everyone used to notice the Rolex I wear and it makes me feel uncomfy as I love the watches for their esthetics, movement and design.
MavaTalluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:22 PM   #66
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

I love Rolex but there is no question the AP dial is something special

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:07 PM   #67
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Have you had a chance to try both on yet? Each of these will have a very different presence on your wrist. I have a feeling if you had the chance to see it on your wrist with your own eyes it will be much easier to make a decision.

Just out of curiosity, what color dial are you considering for the 15400?

If you're worried about flashiness, I would maybe lean towards the AP. Yes the bracelet is more like a piece of jewelry than a traditional watch bracelet, but to the untrained ordinary eye I think you will be getting a lot more "looks" with the CHNR on.

I also wanted to get a RO 15400 blue as my wedding watch. The big day is only a few months away and I am 99.9% sure I won't be getting one in time (at least at MSRP from a boutique). I am just going to wait it out for the new 15500 now and hope I get the call someday!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:04 PM   #68
MavaTalluru
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP15500ST Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Have you had a chance to try both on yet? Each of these will have a very different presence on your wrist. I have a feeling if you had the chance to see it on your wrist with your own eyes it will be much easier to make a decision.

Just out of curiosity, what color dial are you considering for the 15400?

If you're worried about flashiness, I would maybe lean towards the AP. Yes the bracelet is more like a piece of jewelry than a traditional watch bracelet, but to the untrained ordinary eye I think you will be getting a lot more "looks" with the CHNR on.

I also wanted to get a RO 15400 blue as my wedding watch. The big day is only a few months away and I am 99.9% sure I won't be getting one in time (at least at MSRP from a boutique). I am just going to wait it out for the new 15500 now and hope I get the call someday!
I am thinking about going for the white dial. That’s the thing - it’s like having an omega and then skipping Rolex straight to AP. That jump is making me scared .
MavaTalluru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:04 PM   #69
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I’d go with the AP here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:23 PM   #70
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:31 PM   #71
MR. STEEL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
I prob go with the 15400. Having owned one however I'd say it's a watch you really have to try on since it wears big. If you have small wrists the root beer would prob fit you best.
MR. STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:51 PM   #72
asq69
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV-GMT2CTT-DJ2
Another vote for GMT CHNR. Especially for a wedding! Congrats!