The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2019, 11:37 PM   #1
jmatthewhouse
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi 16750
Advice on building AD relationship

I am curious on this group’s advice on how and where to build a dealer relationship, in the hopes of one day purchasing a Daytona (or having the option of purchasing whatever “hot” model replaces the Daytona as the most coveted Rolex - e.g., GMT jubilee).

Last year I purchased a Datejust for my wife from a dealer in Chicago (where I live). I was a little underwhelmed with the level of service after I purchased the watch. (They didn’t take out the right number of links, and ultimately it was going to take days to get additional links taken out. Mildly frustrating, nothing terrible.)

I’m now in the market for a Z Blue Milgauss, and will likely purchase 2-3 more watches in the next 18 months or so. I see four options:
  1. go back to the first dealer. Then I will have a “track record” of buying two watches, which I believe “helps” your position on the waitlist
  2. go to another AD in Chicago
  3. go to the Rolex boutique on Michigan Ave
  4. go to an out of state dealer. Side benefit: could have them ship to me in Chicago and save the sales tax.

Leaning toward #4 just because I have dealt with the out of state dealer before, they are pretty good on service, and I can save almost $1k in sales tax. But I worry about their access to the volume of watches that a large market store in Chicago would have.

If I choose any option 2-4, I am “starting over” in terms of building a track record/relationship with an AD. So want to do that very deliberately, as I don’t have a bottomless appetite for Rolexes and I get the sense it takes 2-3 purchases to have a real chance at getting a Daytona or other “hot” watch.

Curious on this group’s thoughts, including the advice that I am way overthinking this. How have you picked with AD to build a relationship with?

Last edited by jmatthewhouse; 16 February 2019 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Received feedback I should not call out specific ADs.
jmatthewhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:18 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Spend some time talking and visiting with all the people in your options...you'll know when you find the right match.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:22 AM   #3
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Why does everybody wants a hot watch??? Why not the watch you like?

How crazy must you be to buy 2-3 rolexes to be on the waiting list to possibly buy another rolex?

Crazy world imho
Old 16 February 2019, 12:36 AM   #4
josephvman
Banned

One way to start might be by not calling out a specific dealer for their underwhelming service on a popular watch forum while posting under your presumed real name. If this is isn’t obvious I’d find another hobby.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:37 AM   #5
jmatthewhouse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post

How crazy must you be to buy 2-3 rolexes to be on the waiting list to possibly buy another rolex?

Crazy world imho
Ha, I probably didn't phrase that well. I don't want the "hot" watch simply for the sake it's hot. But if I happen to like the "hot" watch I'd like a reasonable chance of getting one from AD vs. buying secondary. And in the meantime I really like Rolexes and I'll probably buy 2-3. I own a 16750 GMT, I'd like to get a Milgauss and perhaps an Explorer and a Datejust. If I can stack those purchases and create the option to get a Daytona, I'd do it.

Curious how others have approached this. Thanks for the input - this is indeed a crazy world but I've got the bug.
Old 16 February 2019, 12:39 AM   #6
jmatthewhouse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
One way to start might be by not calling out a specific dealer for their underwhelming service on a popular watch forum while posting under your presumed real name. If this is isn’t obvious I’d find another hobby.
Fair point, figure it helps everyone to be eyes open. Didn't think it was scathing feedback and I delivered the same feedback to them several times face-to-face. They know me and they know where we stand. I've got options, as do they.
Old 16 February 2019, 01:12 AM   #7
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Big city ADs get more watches but have way more big hitter clients. I am also looking to establish myself at a smaller market AD out of Chicago area. Good luck!
Old 16 February 2019, 01:13 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Whichever dealer you know management or ownership best. If neither then I would look to the out of state but that is me.
Old 16 February 2019, 01:16 AM   #9
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Crazy world imho

Exactly.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:18 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Crazy world imho
not really... its kind of like dating

everyone wants what's hot and yes what everyone else thinks does factor into the decision a lot of times. People dont make the decision in a vacuum although they really should
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:19 AM   #11
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
Quote:

Crazy world imho
I totally agree 100%

The problem is people are becoming Rolex Commodity Traders. It's quick and easy money so people are doing what ever they can. People complain about the gray's but these commodity trades make it even harder to purchase a watch that you want. (and the AD's are eating it up and living high on this new power trip)
Duey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:24 AM   #12
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
I think Rolex boutique may not be your best option because I imagine they have a lot of customers, and to get their attention will take a lot of purchases.

To give you an idea when I visited the Rolex boutique in NYC last summer they had an 8 person wait list for the full rose gold GMT!

I like the idea of going to Indy and saving on sales tax. I do think you need to visit each and talk to them--building a relationship is more than just swiping a credit card. It helps if you visit Indy enough to drop by just to say hello. Hopefully you can find a sales associate that you get along with.

Good luck!
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:34 AM   #13
2024 Pledge Member

Buy the Z-Blue Milgauss from an AD nearby. Enjoy the watch.

Let the rest fall into place as it may. Trying to force a relationship is where things go wrong. I wouldn't even mention a "hot" watch to your AD until you've established a solid purchase history with them.

Good luck with the Milgauss. It's a fine watch.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:50 AM   #14
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry but one dj and a milgauss. Very unlikely you would be getting a Daytona c at retail, they have people that have spent in the 6 digits and waiting.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 01:56 AM   #15
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Building a relationship with an AD does NOT guarantee you will have your hot watches, it's not a sure thing. Fact of life: There are much bigger fish out there. But there are people who claimed to get a SS BLRO being a 1st timer at the AD. Good luck!
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:14 AM   #16
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

You probably need to spend 100k to have a chance of a Daytona, and not on hot rolexs which they can easily sell.
My AD likes you to buy jewellery and other watches to get hold of the likes of the Pepsi and SS Daytona.
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:18 AM   #17
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Crazy world imho
FOMO and yes very crazy
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:20 AM   #18
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I don’t get get it, guys. Not me.
08A66872-BAE9-4DDC-BAE7-5EB32EB1D168.jpeg
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:22 AM   #19
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post

Let the rest fall into place as it may. Trying to force a relationship is where things go wrong. I wouldn't even mention a "hot" watch to your AD until you've established a solid purchase history with them.

Good luck with the Milgauss. It's a fine watch.
This
Old 16 February 2019, 02:30 AM   #20
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

It's good to diversify your relationships but building one solid local relationship is never a bad idea. As others have stated, it's hard to get one of the hot models, but sometimes you get lucky.

On a side note, as others have stated, you should really look for something you like, not what is just in demand.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:42 AM   #21
Shaney
"TRF" Member

Be nice, be genuine, ask questions.

I've only just started with Watches Of Switzerland AD here in Glasgow, I've been emailing the Manager every day or 2, checking in, conversing about watches and general nonsense.

I cannot confirm whether or not this will get me anywhere as I've not made my purchase but he put me on the list and seemed happy to do so in the hope of offering me the chance to buy the piece one day.
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:14 AM   #22
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It's just like building relationships with any other human...just sprinkle in some purchases here and there along the way.

Don't be needy, neurotic, annoying or exhibit other negative personality traits.

You need set the tone that when you show up to the dealer, they are actually "happy" you're there even if you don't buy anything that particular visit. In other words, don't be the guy they hate to see coming through the door.

What hurts you here is that you seem to be focused on Hawt Rolex models. It's hard to build a history only pursuing those references. Buying other brands counts as well...but if those aren't your thing, then you should just pay the grey market price and enjoy your watch and not bother with building a relationship with the dealer...

The ultimate goal here is to be called by the AD to see if you want something they get in rather than pester them all the time.

That takes some genuine human interaction, be a likable visitor, buying watches other than the "hawt" stuff to build a history...etc.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #23
jmatthewhouse
"TRF" Member

Yes, I think I inadvertently overstated the “hot” model fixation. I don’t want the watch for the sake it’s hot. I like lots of different Rolexes, even those that don’t get a lot of love (hence my attraction to the Milgauss).

But if I want to get a watch that happens to be “hot,” I would like to have a relationship I could lean on to purchase it. Totally get that it’s human.

I’ve had some challenges because humans also do things let like you down, leave for different careers, etc. So just curious how others have approached building relationships with ADs.

All of the advice is welcome, thank you all! Surprised at the amount of disbelief at wanting to buy several Rolexes. I thought this was a forum for people that like to collect watches! ;-)
Old 16 February 2019, 04:04 AM   #24
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
Process of elimination results in #4.

A multi-pronged approach might be:

(1) Establish relationships with your local out-of-state ADs, preferably a mom and pop shop where they value your purchases more than the big chains.

(2) Visit those within a reasonable drive from time to time. This way they have a face to a name.

(3) Instead of brick and mortar shops above, also look at digital sales channels where the trend is headed.

(4) Evaluate the prices and if the delta is not substantial, buy from the mom and pop shop in (1) and/or (2), and let them know you are taking care of them.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:32 AM   #25
y2jdmbfan
"TRF" Member

I find that shopping at Smaller AD's, I don't think they really horde the watches. It seems that mine still aren't getting SS Sport Models, and I am going on 6 months waiting for my DSSD. I may end up getting my deposit back and getting it from DAVIDSW, because I now found out that they killed their in store 0% financing which is was going to use to ease the payments, but I have no reason to buy it from them at this point. I went in last night and bought a $600 pair of simple diamond earrings for my wife, and the case looked the same as it did 6 months ago and the manager said they haven't got anything except 1 Hulk last week that was of any desire for most.
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:57 AM   #26
tng11
"TRF" Member

Just let the relationship happen naturally. It'll do you no good to force one.

I just started out with my current AD by showing up in person and looking at their display, and bought something that I like. I just keep on returning frequently, chat up the staff and owner who can tell I'm crazy about watches. I bought another piece, and kept returning to have a look and tell them how much I'm enjoying it. I'm certain the AD has far bigger fish in front of me, but they've made a few offers of desirable pieces to me in the last few weeks without me requesting them, and I ended up buying the BLNR from them without any wait.

The key I think is to be personable, humble, don't act entitled, be genuine, friendly and not overbearing or annoying. Like almost every relationship there is in existence!

(I think you can visit frequently without being overbearing or annoying.)
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:59 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its kind of like dating
see... Tom can't decide if he wants a watch or a date

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Just let the relationship happen naturally. It'll do you no good to force one.

I just started out with my current AD by showing up in person and looking at their display, and bought something that I like. I just keep on returning frequently, chat up the staff and owner who can tell I'm crazy about watches. I bought another piece, and kept returning to have a look and tell them how much I'm enjoying it. I'm certain the AD has far bigger fish in front of me, but they've made a few offers of desirable pieces to me in the last few weeks.

The key I think is to be personable, humble, don't act entitled, be genuine, friendly and not overbearing or annoying. Like almost every relationship there is in existence!

(I think you can visit frequently without being overbearing or annoying.)
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:14 AM   #28
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post

This, 100%

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:24 AM   #29
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I built a relationship with a small family owned AD in the town I was stationed in while serving in the Navy. In fact, I was surprised this town actually had an AD given the only real industry in the town was the Navy base and the associated aeronautical firms. I was not a big spender, but I did buy three stainless steel Rolex watches from them over three years and I frequently browsed. I don't think anyone was coming in there and buying tons of really expensive pieces in succession and this was before the notion that everyone had to get the "hot" Rolex watch from Basel that year regardless if they actually liked it. My third purchase was a special order. I wanted a GV Milgauss which they did not have in stock. They simply ordered it for me to be delivered with their next Rolex shipment and I got it a week later. They gave me a Rolex hat to go with it. I heard this AD no longer sells Rolex as they likely didn't do a lot of volume.

I have since moved back home and live in an affluent suburb that has its own family owned AD. They seem very honest and genuine when it comes to wait times and lists. They know that I know a thing or two about Rolex and I have purchased a 116610LV from them. I walked in on a random Wednesday, saw it in the display case, and bought it. I have been told that a single purchase from this AD is enough to be placed on a waitlist, though this was all prior to the stainless steel hysteria that is taking place right now. I have no idea if their position has changed.

The unfortunate reality of today's situation is that everyone wants a stainless steel Rolex, the model almost doesn't matter, ADs know this, and ADs can sell a stainless steel model almost as soon as it arrives. The result: you as the customer have very little power in the exchange. The only way to build a relationship these days (assuming have not magically hit it off with one particular salesperson) is to just spend a ridiculous amount of money. That's an easy way to get an AD to call you. You can buy watches here and there but it will likely take years before an AD really considers calling you over someone who has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and wants the same watch you do.

My advice is to visit your local AD, buy ONLY what you like if it is available, and if you like something and it's not available; ask to be placed on a list. That's really all you can do. The state of Rolex affairs is abysmal right now for new buyers looking to purchase stainless steel watches at retail.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 05:33 AM   #30
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Try to deal with an owner directly, or at least let them know who you are. They are the person that can get you what you want.

I say this because I have a great relationship with one AD, and fortunately my SA has been and is still around for the 10 years I've been using them. If she were to leave, I'd be SOL.

On the other hand, I have an ok relationship with my other AD, and my SA isn't there any more. But in this case, the owner does know me, so not all is lost.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote