The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 21 February 2019, 02:41 AM   #1
prwdmd
"TRF" Member

Wearing gold watch in Paris??

Hello... I just returned from NYC and didn't think twice about wearing my rose gold 41mm ROC... I wore it the whole trip, received lots of compliments, and didn't feel uncomfortable at any point.

I'm flying to Paris in a few weeks and trying to decide which watches to bring with me. We are staying at in a nice area, the Four Seasons, but I'm getting the feeling that the French are a bit more modest and low-key with their jewelry, watches, and clothing etc?

Should I leave the gold watches at home and maybe just bring my steel 41mm ROC and a white gold dress watch?? Both would be a lot more low key than my gold/blue dial chrono...
Old 21 February 2019, 03:19 AM   #2
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
Hello... I just returned from NYC and didn't think twice about wearing my rose gold 41mm ROC... I wore it the whole trip, received lots of compliments, and didn't feel uncomfortable at any point.

I'm flying to Paris in a few weeks and trying to decide which watches to bring with me. We are staying at in a nice area, the Four Seasons, but I'm getting the feeling that the French are a bit more modest and low-key with their jewelry, watches, and clothing etc?

Should I leave the gold watches at home and maybe just bring my steel 41mm ROC and a white gold dress watch?? Both would be a lot more low key than my gold/blue dial chrono...
Be careful of wearing bling in Paris, it might attract the 'wrong' crowd. Have heard of a few nasty stories.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2019, 03:56 AM   #3
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
There are some professional theft rings in Paris that target tourists so be careful.
My father in law got his watch stolen right off his wrist on the metro and didn't even realize until an hour or so later. Luckily it was not an expensive piece just looked like one. Like anywhere just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.
Old 21 February 2019, 03:58 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

on the whole Europe's watch game is much stronger than the US. I see way way more luxury watches in Europe. Especially non Rolex... Patek, AP etc.

People wouldn't wear them if it was a problem. Tourist areas, just be situationally aware as tourists are easy marks for all kinds of things and that is true anywhere. If you are not paying attention and at the Eiffel tower if it wasn't your watch it would be your phone, camera, or wallet.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 February 2019, 04:32 AM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

As per above - just pay some common sense and don’t flash it about in the wrong place.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 21 February 2019, 06:43 AM   #6
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ

Weather in paris is cold nowadays , for sure your coat will hide your wrists, not unless you want to flamboyantly display your wrists on subway. Screaming “can someone mug me”

There are stories of watch being stolen on Paris (robbed) so take care. Situational awareness is a must and stay low profile.
Old 21 February 2019, 07:06 AM   #7
Kaioken x20
Banned

Watch: 116618 or 116688?
Bad idea IMO. France is no longer the great country it was in the early 2000s.
Old 21 February 2019, 08:05 AM   #8
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Overall fine. As others mentioned just be mindful of it and surroundings. The clasp mechanism on the bracelet is actually harder to open on the move than Rolexes are on the move, and the watch doesn’t drag off the wrist easily either. However i would be more mindful of pockets and purses...that’s more and more an issue in the tourist (also high end shopping zones).
Old 21 February 2019, 08:54 AM   #9
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

Have your watch insured against theft...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2019, 09:57 AM   #10
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
I had my offshore stolen off my wrist last year in Barcelona. Unfortunately it has ruined traveling with any nice watches for me anytime I go abroad.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:28 AM   #11
speedfighter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherMins View Post
I had my offshore stolen off my wrist last year in Barcelona. Unfortunately it has ruined traveling with any nice watches for me anytime I go abroad.
Maybe with the exception of Singapore. No problem there well at least for me.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:35 AM   #12
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherMins View Post
Barcelona seems like the #1 place on earth NOT to go while wearing a nice watch. Did they literally rip it off your wrist, or did they threaten you, or what?
Old 21 February 2019, 10:39 AM   #13
Lgear080
Banned

There’s a long list of places in Paris I wouldn’t wear a nice watch... so I’d just leave them at home. This includes a lot of frequently used train stations where you’ll be exposed to theft with no security in sight. Considering the frequency of protests there lately I’m not sure your overall timing is great either.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:40 AM   #14
TopherMins
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Barcelona seems like the #1 place on earth NOT to go while wearing a nice watch. Did they literally rip it off your wrist, or did they threaten you, or what?

They threatened me. I posted about it last year. I would prefer not to get into details as I dislike talking about it. I only posted about it on this thread so that hopefully I can prevent someone else from losing a watch for no reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 February 2019, 10:46 AM   #15
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear.
Old 21 February 2019, 10:53 AM   #16
psv
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't wear a gold watch in Paris. If you are local, know what you are doing, fit in, etc - that is one thing, but as an American tourist... Nope!
Old 21 February 2019, 11:15 AM   #17
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Don't do it.
Old 21 February 2019, 11:15 AM   #18
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Funny thing...over the past few years I’ve worn my high end watches in plain sight in Paris, Rome, Milan, Vienna, London, Glasgow, Venice, Barcelona, Florence, Bologna, Verona, New York, etc, etc. Never gave it a second thought.

I went to Nashville a couple of weeks ago and decided to leave it in the safe at home...just in case.

It’s all perspective and how our background and biases influence our view on the world (I’m European, living in the USA). There’s crime everywhere but that doesn’t mean you’ll be a victim. FYI Paris is one of the fashion capitals of the world. There are public displays of wealth everywhere. People on here behave like it’s a third world city. It’s as safe as any big city in the USA, maybe safer.

Nashville was amazing btw. Lovely people, great food and obviously amazing music.
Old 21 February 2019, 11:20 AM   #19
benjamin831
"TRF" Member

It's not about the city, it's about where you go in the city. Never had a problem with flashing gold anywhere, just be smart about it.
Old 21 February 2019, 01:32 PM   #20
prwdmd
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the interesting and insightful comments! Yes... my watches are all fully insured for loss or damage anywhere in the world. The good thing is that this time of the year I'll be wearing all long sleeves and jackets... so the watch can be completely hidden when outside and walking the streets. I don't think we'll be using the metro at all nor wandering around sketchy areas at night. I also practice excellent situational awareness as we do big city trips all the time. Really wanted to bring the gold AP on this trip since it's my newest... but perhaps something that wouldn't attract too much attention or too be too blingy might be a little wiser. Think I'm leaning towards doing the steel 41mm ROC on bracelet for daytime and then my IWC perpetual calendar in white gold for going out in evening/night. I don't think either of those would be too flashy and most people wouldn't know the value unless they were also into watches... hopefully lol. And yes I will definitely be on the lookout for the pickpockets!
Old 21 February 2019, 03:05 PM   #21
aa909
Banned

unless you know the neighborhoods well, don't do it
Old 21 February 2019, 03:47 PM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
The best I’m wearing for travel that has any doubts is my explorer II polar.
It’s perfect for the task and is relatively inexpensive.
Old 21 February 2019, 04:37 PM   #23
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacintyre View Post
FYI Paris is one of the fashion capitals of the world. There are public displays of wealth everywhere. People on here behave like it’s a third world city. It’s as safe as any big city in the USA, maybe safer.
Yes, and Kim Kardashian was robbed at gunpoint in this fashion capital
Old 21 February 2019, 04:44 PM   #24
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
Thanks for the interesting and insightful comments! Yes... my watches are all fully insured for loss or damage anywhere in the world. The good thing is that this time of the year I'll be wearing all long sleeves and jackets... so the watch can be completely hidden when outside and walking the streets. I don't think we'll be using the metro at all nor wandering around sketchy areas at night. I also practice excellent situational awareness as we do big city trips all the time. Really wanted to bring the gold AP on this trip since it's my newest... but perhaps something that wouldn't attract too much attention or too be too blingy might be a little wiser. Think I'm leaning towards doing the steel 41mm ROC on bracelet for daytime and then my IWC perpetual calendar in white gold for going out in evening/night. I don't think either of those would be too flashy and most people wouldn't know the value unless they were also into watches... hopefully lol. And yes I will definitely be on the lookout for the pickpockets!
You will be fine, I would bring the gold AP. And btw, you will se great watches everywhere at cafés, restaurants, etc...
Old 21 February 2019, 05:26 PM   #25
Hafez
"TRF" Member

Am just back from Paris 2 days ago, weather is very nice so don’t get all your winter closet with you. Rather leather jacket and T-shirt’s for the day. Still at night not Extreem cold at all. I have been regularly visiting Paris for the last 10 years and was in the middle of all recent actions. It’s still the beloved Paris with its charm beauty. Geaorge V area where the 4 seasons is along with the 8eme arrondissement and major touristic attraction places remain heavily guarded and safe. I have been wearing my RM there for the last 3 months with 0 problems.

As you said, like any other place worldwide, even our home countries, just take the normal precautionary measures and enjoy wearing your gold watch. Also don’t miss on visiting most of the watch stores there wearing it, you will find some nice pieces to try. Enjoy...
Old 21 February 2019, 06:34 PM   #26
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
A friend of mine had a cousin got her 5167R stolen in Barcelona. So, no TT or full gold watches while traveling.
Old 21 February 2019, 06:46 PM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppalasthira View Post
A friend of mine had a cousin got her 5167R stolen in Barcelona. So, no TT or full gold watches while traveling.
well lets look at this logically... that is three degrees of separation (you>friend>friend's cousin). Everyone in the world is connected within 6 degrees.

So if someone gets robbed and its a friend of a friend of a friend then literally millions of people would have heard the story. Because you have one example that means its very rare
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 February 2019, 06:49 PM   #28
artschool
"TRF" Member

definitely not in Paris.

there is a No-Go zone app you can download for your phone which gives live updates on attacks and sexual assaults in Paris.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-no-zone.html
Old 21 February 2019, 06:52 PM   #29
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artschool View Post
definitely not in Paris.

there is a No-Go zone app you can download for your phone which gives live updates on attacks and sexual assaults.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-no-zone.html
because crowd sourcing actual hard evidence for anything always goes well.

'Other users can upload current incidents, ranging from attacks to sexual assaults, and they will beamed straight to a smartphone or device. "... that means the majority of the incidents will originate from trolls
How much you want to bet that the non safe areas are predictable based on social prejudice and not crime statistics
Old 21 February 2019, 07:23 PM   #30
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
because crowd sourcing actual hard evidence for anything always goes well.

'Other users can upload current incidents, ranging from attacks to sexual assaults, and they will beamed straight to a smartphone or device. "... that means the majority of the incidents will originate from trolls
How much you want to bet that the non safe areas are predictable based on social prejudice and not crime statistics
Imagine if majority of users like him
Closed Thread