The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 October 2009, 12:38 PM   #1
orscrubs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN & Pepsi
Icon5 Rolex AD Layaway...?

I've read that some on the forum have been able to get their Rolex watch through an AD on layaway. Does anyone on here have any contact info for an AD that does layaway? If so, pm me.....thanks in advance
orscrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Have you asked your local AD?
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 12:59 PM   #3
orscrubs
"TRF" Member

Yes, but they looked at me like I had the bubonic plague....they're the only AD in town and notorious for being rude. The salesperson said that no Rolex AD offers a layaway plan, but I've read otherwise on the fourm; thus, my post.
Old 13 October 2009, 01:02 PM   #4
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
some AD here in flrorida i think they have like 12 months no interest...
Old 13 October 2009, 01:03 PM   #5
AK Blackhawk
"TRF" Member

Ben Bridge (a chain AD) offers layaway, but I don't know the details. I do know my local BB doesn't give ANY discount even with cash, so you pay for the convenience of layaway anyway.
Old 13 October 2009, 01:57 PM   #6
tinstar
"TRF" Member

PM sent
2008 Seadweller
2ea. 2008 GMT-II 3186 Coke (late "M")
tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
submariner1

AD in Peoria Ill. does lay a way. Pm me
submariner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 11:47 PM   #8
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
What is a Lay Away?
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2009, 11:50 PM   #9
submariner1

You pay payments, dealer holds item until its paid off
submariner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 12:07 AM   #10
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
that is no fun.
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 12:13 AM   #11
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1959 View Post
What is a Lay Away?

Usually in a lay away the price you pay is the price at the time of the contract, so it prevents any price increases while paying on your item. Something to consider.....
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 01:45 AM   #12
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
Well, there are plenty of option to get a interest free cc usually offered by the AD... 12 month 0% APR is very common.
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 01:53 AM   #13
KidK
"TRF" Member

Layaway as a requirement? Maybe you should start with a lower priced brand until you can pay cash for your Rolex.

Lots of great brands at lower price points. Once your income rises (read: no layaway required), then move up to a Rolex.

Sorry to be direct, but a Rolex isn't going to fund your retirement.
KidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 02:00 AM   #14
jukeboxs
"TRF" Member

You should emigrate to the UK. We can buy Rolex on 2-3 years interest-free credit, sometimes with a discount (e.g. 10%) on top.
jukeboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 02:54 AM   #15
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidK View Post
Layaway as a requirement? Maybe you should start with a lower priced brand until you can pay cash for your Rolex.

Lots of great brands at lower price points. Once your income rises (read: no layaway required), then move up to a Rolex.

Nothing wrong with lay away if you don't have the cash now. Much better than using a 15-20% interest rate credit card and there is nothing wrong with delayed gratification. My first Rolex was my own form of layaway. I just put a certain amount of money away in my desk each month and in 12 months I purchased my first watch. Same thing as lay away except by doing it at a store you get to lock in the price and the exact watch you want.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 03:17 AM   #16
orscrubs
"TRF" Member

KidK,

I doubt that everyone out there, or even on this forum, have purchased their Rolex with cash in hand. Many go the credit card route, others save up on their own (which is essentially much like the layaway principle), and some do layaway, which as pointed out allows the buyer to lock in a price. I personally don't share your opinion that only those that can buy a Rolex with cash in hand should be the ones to own them.
Old 14 October 2009, 03:18 AM   #17
AWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:

This is kind of a condescending statement. Lay away for some is an excellent idea, not everybody can or ever will be able to slap down 5 grand or more for a watch. Using a lay away which holds your price and doesn't tie up your credit cards, allows some to enjoy some of the finer things in life.
I haven't had to use lay away since my kids were little and that was 40 years ago when we just started out, I don't think putting someone down for the way they manage their money is necessary...
AWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 04:00 AM   #18
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

Buy everything on credit card, you then have insurance. If you loose the item or are robbed on the way home etc. Then pay it off straight away!
Bullyterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 05:53 AM   #19
KidK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWATCH View Post
This is kind of a condescending statement. Lay away for some is an excellent idea, not everybody can or ever will be able to slap down 5 grand or more for a watch. ..
Sorry, not trying to offend anyone or be condescending. I guess living in Southern California and watching people buy luxury items (cars, watches, etc.) that they will never truly be able to afford (hard to define, I know) and then expect someone else to fund their future or healthcare was getting to me.

I understand the comments above regarding layaway, but personally I have always purchased with a credit card (airline points) and paid the bill the next month. I know that is most likely not the norm, but maybe it should be.

Again, sorry if I offended as that wasn't my intention.
KidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 06:06 AM   #20
mikefrmnj

Quote:
Sorry, not trying to offend anyone or be condescending. I guess living in Southern California and watching people buy luxury items (cars, watches, etc.) that they will never truly be able to afford (hard to define, I know) and then expect someone else to fund their future or healthcare was getting to me.

I understand the comments above regarding layaway, but personally I have always purchased with a credit card (airline points) and paid the bill the next month. I know that is most likely not the norm, but maybe it should be.

Again, sorry if I offended as that wasn't my intention.
The statement may have been a bit condescending but not all that untrue. Why not just save up on your own in case an emergency comes up you will have access to the cash that the AD would be holding.
Lay away and credit card purchases of such expensive luxury items seems like bad finance management. This country seems inundated with the "I want it all and I want it now" attitude which is always bad for ones bottom line.
IMHO.
mikefrmnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 08:31 AM   #21
orscrubs
"TRF" Member

mikefrmnj,

Many people on this forum have purchased their watches with credit cards, and many through layaway plans. To accuse all of these individuals as having bad financial management skills is drawing a big assumption on your behalf.

Now, if someone charges their Rolex on a card and can't make the payments, then I see your point. Also, if someone has a Rolex on layaway and is failing to meet other financial obligations due to the monthly layaway payment, then I also see your point.

However, many individuals, such as myself, can comfortably set aside a decent chunk of cash each month that can go towards the purchase of a Rolex. The primary reason why I'm opting for the layaway route is to lock in the price now before Rolex implements another price increase.

I started this topic in order to simply receive recommendations from fellow forum members on dealers they've successfully interacted with using a layaway option, not to petition for criticism from those who feel that using such a purchase option is financially irresponsible. Besides, I'm utilizing MY money to make the purchase, not yours.
Old 14 October 2009, 08:50 AM   #22
cody p
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 114200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWATCH View Post

Usually in a lay away the price you pay is the price at the time of the contract, so it prevents any price increases while paying on your item. Something to consider.....
now that makes sense, otherwise i'd rather lay-away the $$$ into my own account and accumulate interest.
cody p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 10:03 AM   #23
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Layway is a good option, a lot of pepole can't even get a credit card, and it's a great way to establish a relationship with your AD........
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 10:40 AM   #24
snowbird
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Blackhawk View Post
Ben Bridge (a chain AD) offers layaway, but I don't know the details. I do know my local BB doesn't give ANY discount even with cash, so you pay for the convenience of layaway anyway.
A salesman at BB mentioned layaway to me once, in the context of getting a watch sent over from another BB store in another state. I found the watch in stock at another AD locally so didn't pursue it, but it seemed like the idea in that case was to put down a deposit to reserve the watch, so then they could have the other store ship it.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 11:10 AM   #25
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You know KidK, sorry to be direct but that wasn't a very user friendly response. The guy isn't asking you to loan him money or be his financial counselor. He asked which AD would be layaway friendly. Personally, I think he has a good plan. Dreams give us what we need to get up in the morning and take the crap at work and there is nothing wrong with knowing that every month, you are one step closer to having a dream watch on your wrist. Not all of us can just plunk down our hard earned money like it is chump change. Why have him invest in a lower priced brand now when he would be perfectly content with the layaway to get exactly what he wants? Do you want to settle for second best if you don't have to?
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 09:48 PM   #26
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
Quote:
Originally Posted by orscrubs View Post
mikefrmnj,

Many people on this forum have purchased their watches with credit cards, and many through layaway plans. To accuse all of these individuals as having bad financial management skills is drawing a big assumption on your behalf.

Now, if someone charges their Rolex on a card and can't make the payments, then I see your point. Also, if someone has a Rolex on layaway and is failing to meet other financial obligations due to the monthly layaway payment, then I also see your point.

However, many individuals, such as myself, can comfortably set aside a decent chunk of cash each month that can go towards the purchase of a Rolex. The primary reason why I'm opting for the layaway route is to lock in the price now before Rolex implements another price increase.

I started this topic in order to simply receive recommendations from fellow forum members on dealers they've successfully interacted with using a layaway option, not to petition for criticism from those who feel that using such a purchase option is financially irresponsible. Besides, I'm utilizing MY money to make the purchase, not yours.
Well said! Seems you have opened the flood gates for others to provide you with financial advice, when you original question seemed pretty straight-forward.

Good luck w/ your search.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2009, 10:07 PM   #27
novae500
"TRF" Member

When i purchased my Omega, i did the 12 month no interest (store credit card) on it as long as it was paid in full by the end of the 12 months. So each month i would pay $141 towards the balance. This was 6 or so years ago.

My first and only rolex i got, i took $$ from my savings and paid the TRF member cash $$$.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 06:01 AM   #28
rolexnovice

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Your comment is very interesting. What would be a more appropriate watch brand before Rolex?
rolexnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 06:33 AM   #29
Mr.Mojorisen
"TRF" Member

what is it about the people that work in the authorized dealers? for the most part they are arrogant pricks. you literally have to tell them something they dont know about a watch for them to even think you are knowledgeable.
Mr.Mojorisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2010, 07:49 AM   #30
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
Well said! Seems you have opened the flood gates for others to provide you with financial advice, when you original question seemed pretty straight-forward.

Good luck w/ your search.
Hear! Hear!

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote