The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2021, 02:19 PM   #61
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I draw a blank with the reverso. I understand that it is revered in our circle of watch aficionados, but it’s a piece I’ve never much admired. Maybe my tastes will change, but for now it’s a hard pass
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:58 PM   #62
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
JLC are terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Yeahhh. Real low quality timepiece.
I must disagree as certain JLC Reverso’s are very nice.
Not to mention JLC movements are very respected and were used by all 3 Trilogy brands for quite a while and their perpetual calendar movements are great.
I have one exactly like this one and it is great quality and wears very well as a dress piece.

KY.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 03:07 PM   #63
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
JLC is for those that want to impress themselves..and not their buddies or the grey dealer .
Super high quality brand !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 09:18 PM   #64
Flint
"TRF" Member

Reverso is a great daily , I own two watches my Reverso Classique and my Submariner Date 41mm
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 11:18 PM   #65
Lord Tomato
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
Huge thread here, not sure what I can add of value but I'll try.

The Reverso is of course the dressier of the two, you can maybe dumb it down a little bit with a different leather / suede strap, but even then it will be for smart-casual wear and nothing fully casual. So if you're after the real dedicated dress watch this is the one.

I've always loved the Reverso and it's history but every-time I try it on it doesn't really speak to me and I've never ended up buying one. I think it might have something to do with the case shape on my wrist, and I also have small flat wrists at 6.5 inches.

The DJ is the classic reference, recognizable as a Rolex from miles away. Extremely versatile like nearly all Rolex models. It can be fully casual, or worn with a suite. The 36mm fits absolutely perfect on our small wrist size. This would be my choice, and I'm actually kind of eyeing the DJ 36 as a possible purchase. I would have to go for the traditional jubilee with fluted bezel combo though, it just gives off those nostalgic vibes. I'm thinking the palm dial paired with a Hawaiian shirt on a tropical vacation.
When I say casual, it's probably more like smart-casual, as you mentioned. Formality wise, it won't be a problem if I change the straps. The thing with the Reverso is that it would work well with suits and tuxedos. I wouldn't wear the Datejust with a tuxedo. Yes, I've worn my Sub with a suit, but wouldn't wear it either with a tux. Dressing well is also an interest of mine, so there are some rules I don't break.

I've heard that JLC charges an extreme amount when it's time for servicing? I haven't serviced my Sub yet, so I don't know what servicing fees should cost.

Does anyone here wear their 36mm DJ with leather straps on? That'd make it perfect when worn with a suit. Would endlinks help with the sharp edges?

I'm feeling that I'm swaying towards the DJ. The Reverso's price will probably not increase as much as a DJ within a year and will be more easily available.
Lord Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 11:46 PM   #66
Billfav
"TRF" Member

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by subprimero View Post
Reverso next then a Datejust. Do not buy the Reverso without trying it on first.
Very versatile and covers the casual, smart casual, business and formal. But do try one on if you can to ensure the fit. I too have 6.5" wrists but my duo face fits great. I need to find some pictures.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 12:05 AM   #67
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tomato View Post
When I say casual, it's probably more like smart-casual, as you mentioned. Formality wise, it won't be a problem if I change the straps. The thing with the Reverso is that it would work well with suits and tuxedos. I wouldn't wear the Datejust with a tuxedo. Yes, I've worn my Sub with a suit, but wouldn't wear it either with a tux. Dressing well is also an interest of mine, so there are some rules I don't break.

I've heard that JLC charges an extreme amount when it's time for servicing? I haven't serviced my Sub yet, so I don't know what servicing fees should cost.

Does anyone here wear their 36mm DJ with leather straps on? That'd make it perfect when worn with a suit. Would endlinks help with the sharp edges?

I'm feeling that I'm swaying towards the DJ. The Reverso's price will probably not increase as much as a DJ within a year and will be more easily available.
Many people put the DJ on leather and it looks great, maybe one of the best Rolex models to put on leather actually.

Rolex servicing is somewhere around the $800-1k mark, not sure about JLC.

Can't compare Rolex and JLC regarding value retention, as most of us know Rolex is king for that. The JLC will drop in value the second you buy it, unless it was some kind of tiny production number limited edition Reverso. The DJ will easily retain / increase it's value in the current market.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:39 AM   #68
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Many people put the DJ on leather and it looks great, maybe one of the best Rolex models to put on leather actually.

Can't compare Rolex and JLC regarding value retention, as most of us know Rolex is king for that. The JLC will drop in value the second you buy it, unless it was some kind of tiny production number limited edition Reverso. The DJ will easily retain / increase it's value in the current market.
Value retention completely agree. The key would be (and maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread) is to buy a Reverso used or buy new without regard to value retention. If you enjoy it, it is not always a factor.
Old 15 December 2021, 06:40 AM   #69
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
Value retention completely agree. The key would be (and maybe I missed it elsewhere in the thread) is to buy a Reverso used or buy new without regard to value retention. If you enjoy it, it is not always a factor.

Agree with this point. Particularly if you’re buying a reverso at a 15 to 20% discount. It shouldn’t go much further below that particularly steel provided you don’t severely destroy the condition. However if your plan is to keep the watch than value retention is a relevant, all that matters is how you value it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:42 AM   #70
Billfav
"TRF" Member

A couple of pictures

Of my Reverso Duo - on a roughly 6.5" wrist. My pictures don't do it justice. Put a loupe to that dial and you will be amazed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9991.jpg (84.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9992.jpg (80.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 15 December 2021, 07:52 AM   #71
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Agree with this point. Particularly if you’re buying a reverso at a 15 to 20% discount. It shouldn’t go much further below that particularly steel provided you don’t severely destroy the condition. However if your plan is to keep the watch than value retention is a relevant, all that matters is how you value it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retained value, the nasty words that haunt our watch buying, we ignore or dismiss exciting watches from brands that would serve us well if we gave them a chance but because of those words we follow the heard and insist on watches from the 5 pointed crown.

No I’m not immune to that either, I have a couple of the crown’s watches and they’re great but the more I get into this great hobby (?) the more I realise that there are other great brands out there and this DJ/Reverso debate just highlights the difficulties we have when choosing our next timepiece.

A Rolex and the associated positives and negatives that come with it or a rival with their positives and negatives.

I enjoy wearing my DJ and my Submariner but I know that my next watch will be from another brand, I need variation and that means I accept the positives and negatives that come with that decision.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 08:26 AM   #72
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Depends on your wrist size. Reverso if small, DJ if larger.

Reverso’s come in different case sizes…
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote