The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 March 2022, 09:54 PM   #31
jets
"TRF" Member

Another difference is the model number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:01 PM   #32
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
So glidelock stays and fliplock goes... Hmmnn...
Not very pumped about this
Do you dive with a suit thick enough that the 20mm or so afforded by the glidelock alone isn't enough?

Just curious

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:03 PM   #33
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Do you dive with a suit thick enough that the 20mm or so afforded by the glidelock alone isn't enough?

Just curious
May have more to do with slipping it over a glove?

I don’t know Scott, I’m talking out my … I don’t dive (or swim)
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:03 PM   #34
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Quoting the OP….
- Slimer bezel
- Different crystal, more angular to accentuate the dome effect
- No more secret crown (flip lock extension has been discontinued).

There you go, these are the only differences.

For me, it's basically a downgrade and seems like cost-cutting.
Hmm okay thanks!
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:05 PM   #35
MCOSUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Few
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwatchguy View Post
I still love my 116660 Cameron!
Me too. Not ever getting rid of it.
Rolex Deep Blue Deep Sea Dweller 116660
Oris Great Barrier Reef #845/1000
MCOSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:13 PM   #36
PhilippeD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanJvR View Post
Date aperture seems better positioned.
I see what you mean, though the difference is minuscule.
PhilippeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:14 PM   #37
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Probably more to do with bragging rights in the boardroom

It makes me smile when people who don't actually dive or in many cases even own a DSSD, moan that it doesn't have something they'd never use even if it did

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:42 PM   #38
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
Wow, i must have got the last 126660 ever (in Belgium). Literally 10 days ago…

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:47 PM   #39
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrd View Post
Yes they took it off the 126603. On the plus side they make up for it with lots of links - it's a long TT bracelet.
Yes! When I got mine earlier this month they had to take a link out, which was not true when I bought my Daytona 2 years ago.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:47 PM   #40
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Probably more to do with bragging rights in the boardroom

It makes me smile when people who don't actually dive or in many cases even own a DSSD, moan that it doesn't have something they'd never use even if it did

I don’t dive but for surfing this extension is very useful!
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:52 PM   #41
danny_acs
"TRF" Member

It seems that it's still present in the user manual though..

https://content.rolex.com/dam/media/...dweller_en.pdf
danny_acs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 10:58 PM   #42
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

Can still use the fliplock to wear over your sweater, Agneli style.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:00 PM   #43
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_acs View Post
It seems that it's still present in the user manual though..

https://content.rolex.com/dam/media/...dweller_en.pdf
Page 23

FLIPLOCK EXTENSION LINK*
*Only available on some models
Old 30 March 2022, 11:07 PM   #44
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

Just curious
If I'm not mistaken, a 3mm wetsuit (for spring) will add 18mm to your wrist circumference, leaving you with little margin of extra adjustment with the Glidelock (only 2mm left). The fliplock adds a comfortable 26mm, you can then fine tune with the 20mm Glidelock.

For comparison:
A 4mm wetsuit adds 25mm (you need the fliplock)
A 6mm wetsuit (winter) adds 37mm (you need the fliplock)

Formula: 2 x pi x r
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:16 PM   #45
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
The Deepsea is my favorite Rolex steel watch bar none so a lot to say on the matter.
Well, buncha folks rave about removing it for “better” fit so now Rolex has said hey buddy, we got you, we’ll take that piece off altogether, so you don’t have to remove it and have to store it. For this new remove a technical feature option we’ll charge you more.
Based on all the threads saying it’s best to remove it, this version should be nicknamed the TRF Deepsea, as it has the “super uncomfortable” extension already removed. It was such a prevalent “solution” that ADs even offered to remove it during purchase.

For me, this is clearly a neutering of the baddest most technically engineered watch Rolex offered. Couple more years and they’ll remove the Deepsea Glidelock clasp and put on the standard SD43 version. This is another step for the brand away from that crazy term “tool watch” and closer to the term luxury jewelry.

I personally wear my Deepsea with the extension in, I think the extra couple grams of metal actually help to provide just a tiny bit of better balance with the case. Plus it just looks more badass. The Deepsea has been my favorite Rolex watch even over my BLRO because with its feature set and exaggerated design, it’s like the most “rolex” Rolex. It features bigger and bolder everything except the dial which is still standard size.
Which leads me to wonder…..

Since they made the bezel thinner if true, could that mean the dial is larger, even if by a millimeter or two. That would be welcomed. But not at the cost of losing a bracelet element.

Reference 126660 will go down as the best iteration and now the values will go up significantly. As most who live with a disco’d watch, this is pleasing on one end but comes with anxiety, over replacement concerns. Glad I got a 126660 before the drama hits the Deepsea, as people will start to swear by everything sacred that The Deepsea is now more comfortable for small wrists…..(yes, because now Rolex sells it with a feature you could have just done yourself, smh). But there it is “The (new)Rolex way”, less is more.

Put me down in the don’t have a reason to care but I care butthurt category.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:21 PM   #46
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oystersteel92 View Post
Yes! When I got mine earlier this month they had to take a link out, which was not true when I bought my Daytona 2 years ago.
Yea very true now that you mention it. I’ve bought every Deepsea reference over the years for various reasons and between the 11 and 12 I had to remove an extra link on the 12. But also bought a BLRO in 2019 which fit literally perfect with all links, now bought a 2022 and had to remove a link. My wrist hasn’t changed as I still fit the Deepsea 11 series with two links off and three off on the 12 reference.
Old 30 March 2022, 11:24 PM   #47
can-am
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashid.bk View Post
the deepsea is my favorite rolex steel watch bar none so a lot to say on the matter.
Well, buncha folks rave about removing it for “better” fit so now rolex has said hey buddy, we got you, we’ll take that piece off altogether, so you don’t have to remove it and have to store it. For this new remove a technical feature option we’ll charge you more.
Based on all the threads saying it’s best to remove it, this version should be nicknamed the trf deepsea, as it has the “super uncomfortable” extension already removed. It was such a prevalent “solution” that ads even offered to remove it during purchase.

For me, this is clearly a neutering of the baddest most technically engineered watch rolex offered. Couple more years and they’ll remove the deepsea glidelock clasp and put on the standard sd43 version. This is another step for the brand away from that crazy term “tool watch” and closer to the term luxury jewelry.

I personally wear my deepsea with the extension in, i think the extra couple grams of metal actually help to provide just a tiny bit of better balance with the case. Plus it just looks more badass. The deepsea has been my favorite rolex watch even over my blro because with its feature set and exaggerated design, it’s like the most “rolex” rolex. It features bigger and bolder everything except the dial which is still standard size.

Since they made the bezel thinner if true, could that mean the dial is larger, even if by a millimeter or two. That would be welcomed. But not at the cost of losing a bracelet element.

Reference 126660 will go down as the best iteration and now the values will go up significantly. As most who live with a disco’d watch, this is pleasing on one end but comes with anxiety, over replacement concerns. Glad i got a 126660 before the drama hits the deepsea, as people will start to swear by everything sacred that the deepsea is now more comfortable for small wrists…..(yes, because now rolex sells it with a feature you could have just done yourself, smh). But there it is “the (new)rolex way”, less is more.

put me down in the don’t have a reason to care but i care butthurt category.
^^^this.
can-am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:28 PM   #48
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

(facts)
A man of culture and a scholar. You and I are kindred spirits. I fully agree with what you said. The DSSD is a no compromise, no excuse watch. The flip lock protruding from the over engineered and perfect clasp is just a nice bonus that is now dead because “my small wrist can’t take luxury and style together”
Old 30 March 2022, 11:31 PM   #49
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
The Deepsea is my favorite Rolex steel watch bar none so a lot to say on the matter.
Well, buncha folks rave about removing it for “better” fit so now Rolex has said hey buddy, we got you, we’ll take that piece off altogether, so you don’t have to remove it and have to store it. For this new remove a technical feature option we’ll charge you more.
Based on all the threads saying it’s best to remove it, this version should be nicknamed the TRF Deepsea, as it has the “super uncomfortable” extension already removed. It was such a prevalent “solution” that ADs even offered to remove it during purchase.

For me, this is clearly a neutering of the baddest most technically engineered watch Rolex offered. Couple more years and they’ll remove the Deepsea Glidelock clasp and put on the standard SD43 version. This is another step for the brand away from that crazy term “tool watch” and closer to the term luxury jewelry.

I personally wear my Deepsea with the extension in, I think the extra couple grams of metal actually help to provide just a tiny bit of better balance with the case. Plus it just looks more badass. The Deepsea has been my favorite Rolex watch even over my BLRO because with its feature set and exaggerated design, it’s like the most “rolex” Rolex. It features bigger and bolder everything except the dial which is still standard size.

Reference 126660 will go down as the best iteration and now the values will go up significantly. As most who live with a disco’d watch, this is pleasing on one end but comes with anxiety, over replacement concerns. Glad I got a 126660 before the drama hits the Deepsea, as people will start to swear by everything sacred that The Deepsea is now more comfortable for small wrists…..(yes, because now Rolex sells it with a feature you could have just done yourself, smh). But there it is “The (new)Rolex way”, less is more.

You describe exactly what I thought when the 126660 was introduced and the DSSD becoming a more mainstream watch
Old 30 March 2022, 11:32 PM   #50
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There's no point to change the model number for such small changes. They didn't change model number for 214270 even for bigger changes.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:33 PM   #51
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
Literally picked up a 126660 3 weeks ago. I would not have even realised they changed it if I did not stumble upon this. In some ways I think this makes the 12 a collectable over the 13 now. The vast majority of buyers will not care but for those that do it could make the difference. No idea how it will affect value, but nice to know that I got one of the last full fat DBlues before it got neutered.
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:33 PM   #52
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea very true now that you mention it. I’ve bought every Deepsea reference over the years for various reasons and between the 11 and 12 I had to remove an extra link on the 12. But also bought a BLRO in 2019 which fit literally perfect with all links, now bought a 2022 and had to remove a link. My wrist hasn’t changed as I still fit the Deepsea 11 series with two links off and three off on the 12 reference.

Same. MY BLNR fit right from the box but my d-blue from 3/3-22 i did had to remove a link.

So glad i got the last model.
Divingdeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:35 PM   #53
Oysterprince777
"TRF" Member

Fliplock: the metal piece on the clasp that flips over and locks bracelet in place.

Glidelock system: you pull up on the center of the bracelet clasp and this allows you to adjust the glidelock system.

Divers extension link: a link that “flips” and “locks” in the oyster bracelet that can be opened or closed to make the watch able to go over a wetsuit when open or normal when closed.

It appears the new 22 Deepsea is just shaped a little different and still Has all of the same features as previous only item up for debate at the moment seems to be the “divers extension link” that people are calling a “flip lock” for some reason making the thread extremely confusing. The divers extension link most people remove it at purchase to make the watch more comfortable to begin with if your not out diving the deep.
Oysterprince777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:46 PM   #54
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by can-am View Post
^^^this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
A man of culture and a scholar. You and I are kindred spirits. I fully agree with what you said. The DSSD is a no compromise, no excuse watch. The flip lock protruding from the over engineered and perfect clasp is just a nice bonus that is now dead because “my small wrist can’t take luxury and style together”
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You describe exactly what I thought when the 126660 was introduced and the DSSD becoming a more mainstream watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtheot View Post
Literally picked up a 126660 3 weeks ago. I would not have even realised they changed it if I did not stumble upon this. In some ways I think this makes the 12 a collectable over the 13 now. The vast majority of buyers will not care but for those that do it could make the difference. No idea how it will affect value, but nice to know that I got one of the last full fat DBlues before it got neutered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Same. MY BLNR fit right from the box but my d-blue from 3/3-22 i did had to remove a link.

So glad i got the last model.

Love the support club for our late but not forgotten full featured Deepseas. This reminds me of when they took away things like the tool kit, anchor and extension link away from the Submariner and Seadwellers of past. It was a sad day when the anchor left. Now we welcome our gender neutral brethren, The 13 Deepsea, don’t worry buddy we still love you, second of course.
Old 30 March 2022, 11:53 PM   #55
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Page 23

FLIPLOCK EXTENSION LINK*
*Only available on some models
Very good catch, I think once the dust settles, Rolex will correct the issue and assign a new manual reflecting the new reference change.
Old 30 March 2022, 11:53 PM   #56
danny_acs
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Fully agree with you, but the saving grace is that one could always order a 126660 link and have it installed? I too take my Deepsea diving, so the feature is a must with a thicker wetsuit.
I also wish Rolex included two rubber straps and a third, extension strap much like the Tudor do with the Pelagos to use that on the thicker drysuits. This is why I also purchased one, because well... I wanted to
danny_acs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:55 PM   #57
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Hodinkee has a story on it know.
Divingdeep87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2022, 11:58 PM   #58
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_acs View Post
Fully agree with you, but the saving grace is that one could always order a 126660 link and have it installed? I too take my Deepsea diving, so the feature is a must with a thicker wetsuit.
I also wish Rolex included two rubber straps and a third, extension strap much like the Tudor do with the Pelagos to use that on the thicker drysuits. This is why I also purchased one, because well... I wanted to
Hopefully that is the case and they don’t give you a headache to buy the extension link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingdeep87 View Post
Hodinkee has a story on it know.
Thank you sir and off I go to read about something that honestly doesn’t concern me. Nothing like be a wis on our wis Christmas morning.
Old 31 March 2022, 12:00 AM   #59
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I had an original DSSD that was my daily from 2008-11. My only complaint then was that the bracelet seemed puny versus the head of the watch, the slightly wider one on the 12 series addressed that. I find it extremely odd that they’re introducing a “new” version just a few years later that doesn’t seem different to me at all. I want to see a side by side comparison when these come out.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2022, 12:04 AM   #60
djtheot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIC
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...also-different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djtheot is offline   Reply With Quote