The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2020, 11:56 PM   #91
Erson
Banned

Use it, until 10 year, scratch more, then service + polished.
Erson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:07 AM   #92
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite

five years worth on my batman clasp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 January 2020, 12:21 AM   #93
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

The 5-digit looks better than 6-digits when worn hard. A 5-digit Submariner just get more charm, whilst a modern Sub just looks like "jewelry gone bad". IMHO.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:23 AM   #94
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
looks great...

funny, i looked at mine and it looks great too...

i just try and pay a little more attention to my wrist but then again i always have with my other watches...

wear it and enjoy..
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:31 AM   #95
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercLBDM View Post
Similar state of affairs on 14 month old BLNR. Picked up it's first scratch the day after I got it courtesy of my mother's cockerpoo (then a pup) enthusiastically jumping onto my lap. Didn't care about scratches before I picked it up from the AD, and still don't. I did catch the case on a door handle about a month in which may be more of a ding than a scratch. That started for a day or so, but has quickly become part of the watch. If anything I was a bit more gutted about a deep scratch on the case of my Milgauss which I bought with money left by my grandmother. Totally my fault though as I dropped it, AD said it's too deep to polish out when the service comes up. Even that I never notice anymore. But I know all the signature scratches on both, and doubtless will the others too as they occur. So I can be content that I'll always be able to pick my watches out in a lineup. Enjoy wearing, and enjoy that yours will be unique.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If the deep scratch on the Milgauss is too deep to polish out I would send it to roliworks to get fixed. Seems like you’re ok with it now but with the sentimental value of it would lead me to get it fixed.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:34 AM   #96
sirish19
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-VC-AP
Love it. Wear it and enjoy it. It is still a beauty of a watch no matter how many scratches. In 10 years everyone will be talking about the great patina the bracelet has. I’ve got similar scratches and a massive dent on my Sub after 3 years, it doesn’t bother me.

I have had my AP Jumbo for 4 year and I have massive scratches on the bracelet. These didn’t come from misusing or abusing the watch, but rather, from normal wear and tear of desk diving, MacBook Pro and airplane armrests, etc. I just sent it in for it’s first service but didn’t feel the need to polish those out.

Old 21 January 2020, 01:40 AM   #97
danyvw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub16610, DJ126331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
The 5-digit looks better than 6-digits when worn hard. A 5-digit Submariner just get more charm, whilst a modern Sub just looks like "jewelry gone bad". IMHO.
Agree, this is how my 16610LN M series looks after 10 years, never serviced (will do this year) running +1 sec /day. I wear it almost everyday, fishing, hunting, shooting, working, you name it. Scotch brite on the bracelet and Cape Cod on the case once a year. Simple as that

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
danyvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:46 AM   #98
MercLBDM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
If the deep scratch on the Milgauss is too deep to polish out I would send it to roliworks to get fixed. Seems like you’re ok with it now but with the sentimental value of it would lead me to get it fixed.

I'm cool with it, and California is a bit of a long way to send it for something which I'm not perturbed about. But worth remembering them if I ever do anything damage wise I can't live with.

Interestingly I've picked up far fewer scratches on the bracelet of the Milgauss in just under 12 months than I had at the same relative point with the BLNR (actually 27 months old now, not the 14 I quoted in my original post, time flies by so quick I thought I'd only had it a nudge over a year not a nudge over 2).

I alternate them from one day to the next, hence using the word relative to same point with BLNR, because in reality I guess the Milgauss has had nearly 6 months wear rather than nearly 12.

Wouldn't say that I have been more wrist aware with either in the time I've had them, maybe I am but just subliminally.

I'd probably be a bit anxious about going PM given the softer metal and my klutz tendencies, but given my current PM hankering is for something on Oysterflex, that alleviates some of that particular concern.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
MercLBDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 03:20 AM   #99
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

The horror! I wonder how many forum members fainted while browsing this thread
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:13 AM   #100
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
If i didn't have my Sub on my wrist everyday, i would miss the hell out of it....
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:16 AM   #101
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

I think these all look great. Lots of character. After all, they are tool watches right?
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:24 AM   #102
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
BLNR after the first year - this is my everyday watch. Work behind the desk.
Old 21 January 2020, 04:26 AM   #103
Scrap_Life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King; my daily
Damnnnn lol. I wear an air king in a scrap yard and mine don’t look nothin like that. Did op state what he does on a daily basis???

Scrap_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:32 AM   #104
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I baby my watches, but after the first scratch, it’s downhill from there. Just the way it is. Agree that a service will clean it up. I had a gashed IWC Chronoflieger which was serviced into like new condition.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:40 AM   #105
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
In all seriousness, please help me understand.....I am not clear?

So, scratches are good and polishing is bad? When you send these watches in for service, polishing is not a good thing to do? It rounds/chamfers edges and decreases the watch values?

Not to steer the thread away from the OP's direction...
WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:56 AM   #106
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap_Life View Post
Damnnnn lol. I wear an air king in a scrap yard and mine don’t look nothin like that. Did op state what he does on a daily basis???

I'm a lawyer.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 04:58 AM   #107
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRISTROLEX View Post

So, scratches are good and polishing is bad? When you send these watches in for service, polishing is not a good thing to do? It rounds/chamfers edges and decreases the watch values?

Don't know if I'll have it polished when it's serviced in 9 years.

I do know it will take me about a year of researching to decide. I'm afraid of how many hours of YouTube videos I'll watch looking at polished vs. unpolished watches.

Don't care about resale value; it's never getting sold (by me). Goes to my son someday.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 05:01 AM   #108
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyvw View Post
Agree, this is how my 16610LN M series looks after 10 years, never serviced (will do this year) running +1 sec /day. I wear it almost everyday, fishing, hunting, shooting, working, you name it. Scotch brite on the bracelet and Cape Cod on the case once a year. Simple as that

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Now THIS is a man that takes care of his watch !!
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:11 AM   #109
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post
Love it. Wear it and enjoy it. It is still a beauty of a watch no matter how many scratches. In 10 years everyone will be talking about the great patina the bracelet has. I’ve got similar scratches and a massive dent on my Sub after 3 years, it doesn’t bother me.

I have had my AP Jumbo for 4 year and I have massive scratches on the bracelet. These didn’t come from misusing or abusing the watch, but rather, from normal wear and tear of desk diving, MacBook Pro and airplane armrests, etc. I just sent it in for it’s first service but didn’t feel the need to polish those out.

those scratches hurt my heart
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:19 AM   #110
tbk
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I mean.. if you don't care about scratches, why would you care about rounded edges? And a scratched to heck watch is probably worth less than a polished watch.

Personally I don't know how I would even get my watches that scratched up. I don't rest my wrists on desks or laptops, I got RSI that way over 15 years ago and stopped that habit. That eliminates 99% of all possible scratches, at least the way I wear my watches. Not sure what else I'd do to scratch them.
tbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:30 AM   #111
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirish19 View Post

so far i don't think ive had a scratch on my 15450 in the 2 weeks ive been wearing it but ive been pretty careful so far. don't mind scratches though, but i would never desk dive with a watch on though and im careful where i put my arm when wearing a watch. i remember you posted another pic on a thread you made recently and it looked pretty beat up and made me a bit worried lol

huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 08:09 AM   #112
wolffram
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
I will never understand why this makes 90 per cent of this forum happy
Because 90 per cent wish they could be so brave...
wolffram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 08:11 AM   #113
BamaHammer
Banned

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Jeez what are you a car mechanic?
BamaHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 08:53 AM   #114
Nanasaka90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, 126600, 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
so far i don't think ive had a scratch on my 15450 in the 2 weeks ive been wearing it but ive been pretty careful so far. don't mind scratches though, but i would never desk dive with a watch on though and im careful where i put my arm when wearing a watch. i remember you posted another pic on a thread you made recently and it looked pretty beat up and made me a bit worried lol

Can you tell me a bit about your experience with the 15450? I’m considering trading in a few rolexes for one. Can it be a one and done?

Nanasaka90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:05 AM   #115
LawMan
"TRF" Member

blasphemy
LawMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #116
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanasaka90 View Post
Can you tell me a bit about your experience with the 15450? I’m considering trading in a few rolexes for one. Can it be a one and done?

i think it depends on your lifestyle. i work in an office so for me it definitely can be. i thought it would be a lot more delicate based on the fact that everyone says the bracelet is a scratch magnet. i don't necessarily think it is if you're conscious of what you do when wearing it, but i do wear it more carefully than the dj i sold to help fund this. i think if you want to be care free a steel rolex is probably better considering the price point of APs makes it a bit of a different experience psychologically, but a royal oak is definitely a good daily

i only have 2 watches and this is my new daily
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:06 AM   #117
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
There is truth in this statement...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:19 PM   #118
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

My PO has broken in just fine, after many years of wear.

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:37 PM   #119
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is a delicate subject. Polishing removes material and original form factor, so yes it can decrease value. However, selling a poor condition watch also will get you less money. So it's a question of which is worse. IMO, selling with scratches gives a buyer (likely a collector) the chance to decide if they want original or polished up watch. Personally, I could care less about polishing, and would rather a new looking piece. Then again, I am not into vintage and when buying modern used, I'd just go for"excellent" condition option.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 03:02 PM   #120
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Amazing! Like how this watch is still looks like.
Can you explain what Scotch write and Cape cod are please?

Scotch brite on the bracelet and Cape Cod on the case once a year. Simple as that

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]