The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 January 2020, 04:40 PM   #31
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

I completely got distracted from this post trying to figure out what GADA meant.
It took me about 5 minutes. I must really be getting old!
Old 21 January 2020, 05:31 PM   #32
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
I completely got distracted from this post trying to figure out what GADA meant.

Go Anywhere Do Anything. I would simply say a Daily. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #33
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
Go Anywhere Do Anything. I would simply say a Daily. Lol

Sorry about that haha! I used that term vs. daily because in my head they mean slightly different things. I work in an office for a bank, so my daily could be on the dressier side if I wanted it to. However, I'm focused more on a piece I could wear anywhere, in any situation. This reasoning is why the jubilee doesn't do it for me personally; as a guy in my 20s I just can't picture it with shorts and a t-shirt or the like. The fluted bezel I've always liked personally, my hesitation there is much more focused on it's versatility given that I can't really picture it on my wrist.
Old 21 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #34
mttb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuture View Post
Sorry about that haha! I used that term vs. daily because in my head they mean slightly different things. I work in an office for a bank, so my daily could be on the dressier side if I wanted it to. However, I'm focused more on a piece I could wear anywhere, in any situation. This reasoning is why the jubilee doesn't do it for me personally; as a guy in my 20s I just can't picture it with shorts and a t-shirt or the like. The fluted bezel I've always liked personally, my hesitation there is much more focused on it's versatility given that I can't really picture it on my wrist.

I have plenty of friends who pulled that off in their early twenties, personally chose the oyster bracelet for the dj, but the jubilee looks terrific in casual environments and especially on a beach with a drink, it’s still a variant I am considering now with a different dial of course

And one thing to remember that someone on here once wrote, no one looks at your watch as much as you do

It’s really about what you like, and it’ll stay with you for a long time, so if your only concern is that it may look not age appropriate consider that you’ll still have it when you’re 30, 40 and beyond

mttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:54 PM   #35
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttb View Post
I have plenty of friends who pulled that off in their early twenties, personally chose the oyster bracelet for the dj, but the jubilee looks terrific in casual environments and especially on a beach with a drink, it’s still a variant I am considering now with a different dial of course

And one thing to remember that someone on here once wrote, no one looks at your watch as much as you do

It’s really about what you like, and it’ll stay with you for a long time, so if your only concern is that it may look not age appropriate consider that you’ll still have it when you’re 30, 40 and beyond

Definitely a great point, thank you. I may end up buying the jubilee separate down the line so I can change things up. I'm pretty settled on the oyster though, so my main point of contention is whether I should pony up for the fluted bezel.

Ultimately, I can't think of another watch in this rough price range (under 10k for the sake of simplicity) that I could wear anywhere. It's the beauty of Rolex I suppose, though like many others I wish prices weren't so bonkers on sports models right now. I always dreamed of owning a 116710LN, but can't stomach paying 11K+ for a used one.
Old 22 January 2020, 03:18 AM   #36
mttb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely a great point, thank you. I may end up buying

I get it, I have not paid attention to them for about a decade, the prices now and the recent demand increase seem bonkers to me, and it’s been plenty written about

Long story short, they’ll not decrease in msrp, when I bought the dj msrp was just above 5k, a dd was 18k now it’s 34k, that was a decade ago

Certainly only buy what you like, but it seems to be something to consider at least of you’re looking at it long term

The fluted bezel plays it bit more with the light, not in a blingy way, but still let’s everyone know who’s into this what you’re wearing, the polished bezel not so much, even with a jubilee

You’ll enjoy it either way, share some pics once you’ve picked it up

mttb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:07 AM   #37
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Before I Pull the Trigger...

Definitely go fluted. I was like you and was dead set on oyster. I bought oyster. But with the polished center links they scratched up very quickly doing simple daily activities. Plus I Already had a few watches with the oyster in the sports range. You will add to the collection in the future. But that was my reasoning. YMMV. I will tell you getting both bracelets is a great idea. I sold my oyster DJ and bought the jubilee. You can’t judge the watch in the store setting. They use the lights in there to make the watches seem more blingy then in the real world. They are very versatile. I get what you mean about being too young for the jubilee. Im in my 30’s. You definitely need to get the fluted. It will hide all the hair line scratches from your sleeve. Makes it more versatile imo. And it will definitely dress down. I wear t shirts, basketball shorts and flip flops 90 percent of the time. I wear my DJ41 with it and it doesn’t seem out of place. See if your AD will let you take the watches outside and see how they look in natural lighting. Leave your keys and ID with them. Wear the most casual outfit you would wear to the AD and take a full length picture. I think any SS Rolex is super versatile.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:29 AM   #38
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom5518 View Post

I have the rhodium/oyster stainless and like it. You cannot go wrong with any combination, just get the one that sings to you.

There you go, the GADA watch OP is looking for. Go anywhere Do anything, Got it!
Old 22 January 2020, 04:37 AM   #39
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Appreciate all the advice all! In the end though I liked the fluted bezel, I couldn't justify spending the extra cash on it right now. I'm used to the smooth bezel/oyster combo and how it can scratch, so I'm not too concerned. Just wired the cash to DavidSW, so it should be here tomorrow afternoon!

Next on my list will likely be something with some color (i.e. Pepsi or Batman) or something dressier (Lange 1 or the like). It'll be awhile since I have some other things to focus on first, but I'm happy knowing I'll have a constant companion that I never have to think twice about while I wait. I'll definitely post some pics when it comes!
Old 22 January 2020, 04:40 AM   #40
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Definitely thought about that. My only thing with the fluted bezel is I would think it's tough to dress down (t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers). Any thoughts on that?
Tripe
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:41 AM   #41
Xtralarg
"TRF" Member

Fluted bezel is 10x the smooth
Xtralarg is offline   Reply With Quote