The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 October 2019, 01:08 PM   #61
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Wow... i want to thank everyone for all of the very valuable input.

As the more and more i think about it, the Canada Goose becomes less of desire of mine. I was actually at LL Bean last night and was able to try on this jacket (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1189...4714-GN2&csp=f). I was blown away by the quality and the warmth of this jacket. This is most likely the jacket that i am going to get. The other reason why i think this is a great option is there 1-Year, 100% satisfaction return policy.

I still haven't made my final decision, but i think this is the route that i am going to go!

Thanks for all of the input!!
Very nice! They do know a little something about cold weather in Maine.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 01:22 PM   #62
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RDPM View Post
What is this winter thing that you guys are speaking of?
It’s when all the Yankees are driving through your highway system to Florida
Old 10 October 2019, 01:28 PM   #63
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Wow... i want to thank everyone for all of the very valuable input.

As the more and more i think about it, the Canada Goose becomes less of desire of mine. I was actually at LL Bean last night and was able to try on this jacket (https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1189...4714-GN2&csp=f). I was blown away by the quality and the warmth of this jacket. This is most likely the jacket that i am going to get. The other reason why i think this is a great option is there 1-Year, 100% satisfaction return policy.

I still haven't made my final decision, but i think this is the route that i am going to go!

Thanks for all of the input!!
Wait for the X-mas sale and you'll get that parka 30% off

I'm a big fan of Barbour as well, but I don't really see them as true winter jackets (I have 4 Barbour jackets).

To me, Patagonia has the best philosophy, quality and sustainability, it is always my first choice and have been so for decades. If they don't have what I look for, I'll go Arc'Teryx, TNF or Norrona.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 02:02 PM   #64
bgolfo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Lived in Cleveland for years and still live in Ohio just a bit more south now. I wear an Orvis shearling coat. Expensive but looks great and super warm.
bgolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 02:32 PM   #65
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I loathe parkas. They’re just way too bulky and hot for me. In Minnesota I spend about 90% of the winter in a soft shell jacket or a Bean ultralight down jacket. On really cold days, I have a Bean waxed cotton down coat that I’ll wear.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 03:34 PM   #66
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
I own 3 Canada Goose Jacketts. Probably the biggest hit besides being so common is the more casual look they have.

Regardless if you do decide to go Canada Goose pay very close attention to fit and purpose as well as whether you can either remove the hood or not.

Fits vary depending on Coat and whether you intend to layer or not will matter quite a bit. Layering was not that important for me given my location and use. But fit still matters and it did help greatly that I was able to see the in person for my first purchase and that I was able to determine the fit for the other two using Moose Jaw website in conjunction with Amazon for the other two.

Removeable hoods will help when you need to clean the coat and not all of the coats with hoods are removeable.

It helps also to buy Canada Goose early, because typically if you wait too long you maybe just out of luck.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 06:31 PM   #67
gmtlove
"TRF" Member

How About a Holubar Metro Parka? Have it and love it.
gmtlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:05 PM   #68
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Last time I was in Iceland I discovered their premier outerwear company, 66 Degrees North.

If you need something warm, this stuff is extreme. Don’t see much of it either.

https://www.66north.com/us/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 08:53 PM   #69
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Last time I was in Iceland I discovered their premier outerwear company, 66 Degrees North.

If your looking at spending money especially for the more expensive coats I strongly recommend doing your research with regards to components, such as material, fill, zippers, fur, and warranty. When looking at this brand specifically warranty their coat kind of left me cold.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 October 2019, 08:54 PM   #70
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
It’s when all the Yankees are driving through your highway system to Florida
Don’t forget us snowbirds
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 09:19 PM   #71
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
If your looking at spending money especially for the more expensive coats I strongly recommend doing your research with regards to components, such as material, fill, zippers, fur, and warranty. When looking at this brand specifically warranty their coat kind of left me cold.
Do you have personal experience with this brand? Looks to me like they warrant the product similar to other higher end brands.

https://www.66north.com/us/informati...y-and-payment/
Old 10 October 2019, 09:31 PM   #72
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Do you have personal experience with this brand? Looks to me like they warrant the product similar to other higher end brands.

https://www.66north.com/us/informati...y-and-payment/

No I don't and to be honest I must have looked at the wrong page on their website. The place I looked at only spoke to returning the coat within 30 days if someone was unsatisfied. I didn't see their warranty page but their return page. Thanks for pointing this out.

I would still have to do more research and comparison before rejecting or determining whether I would buy one of their coats however. Since I'm pretty well set at this time I doubt that I would invest that kind of time for something I no longer need.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 October 2019, 10:02 PM   #73
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
[/B]

No I don't and to be honest I must have looked at the wrong page on their website. The place I looked at only spoke to returning the coat within 30 days if someone was unsatisfied. I didn't see their warranty page but their return page. Thanks for pointing this out.

I would still have to do more research and comparison before rejecting or determining whether I would buy one of their coats however. Since I'm pretty well set at this time I doubt that I would invest that kind of time for something I no longer need.
thanks for clarifying that.

I like the look of their product, but agree it’s always best to do some research.
Old 10 October 2019, 10:15 PM   #74
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
thanks for clarifying that.

I like the look of their product, but agree it’s always best to do some research.
Thank you.

I looked at the bottom where I would normally find warranty info and only found return information. I just didn't realize you had to go to menu then warranty.

When initially shopping for my first coat there were others that were initially more appealing than Canada Goose at the time but then I discovered via a number of websites that included manufactures websites and various forums the components Canada Goose used at the time and in combination with their warranty they where actually better than any other I could find. For me anyway I feel much better doing the research before committing my dollars to something. I think I tend to have less regrets and make fewer mistakes that way.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 October 2019, 10:25 PM   #75
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I live "Up North" in Minnesota where the temperature frequently falls to -40 degrees F and wind hills go much lower. I don't have a proper parka. I dress in layers depending on the temps, wearing light or heavy fleeces, down sweaters, heavier down jackets and finally a Gortex Marmot shell for the coldest days.

I work as a ski patroller here as well, and my finally layer is a Mountain Uniform brand patrol jacket over layers. I never get cold if properly dressed.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2019, 10:29 PM   #76
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I live "Up North" in Minnesota where the temperature frequently falls to -40 degrees F and wind hills go much lower. I don't have a proper parka. I dress in layers depending on the temps, wearing light or heavy fleeces, down sweaters, heavier down jackets and finally a Gortex Marmot shell for the coldest days.

I work as a ski patroller here as well, and my finally layer is a Mountain Gear patrol jacket over layers. I never get cold if properly dressed.
I don't have as much experience as you but did do two trips to Alaska decades before climate change and layering is really the only proper way to go about truly or real real cold weather.

However for a pretty stationary old man such as myself in the midwest where I'm not exposed so long layering not so much needed.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 October 2019, 03:02 AM   #77
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Another vote from me for Canada Goose. Best money I've ever spent on a winter jacket; love the Made In Canada quality.

Seriously tempted to get a Forester or Woolford this winter.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 03:11 AM   #78
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
Another vote from me for Canada Goose. Best money I've ever spent on a winter jacket; love the Made In Canada quality.

They're addictive I was also thinking of getting a second one, maybe just in a different colour.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 05:08 AM   #79
xqsme
"TRF" Member

winter coats

Goodwill. great selection, changes daily. Short coats $4.99, long coats $6.99
xqsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 06:33 AM   #80
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
San Diego Native living on the beach. During the deepest-darkest and coldest days of winter here I wear a sweatshirt... with a hood.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:49 AM   #81
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I bought a North Face 550 last year. It's nice and light weight, when it's the coldest here in Michigan, even in the U.P. it works great with a couple light layers under it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:53 AM   #82
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
San Diego Native living on the beach. During the deepest-darkest and coldest days of winter here I wear a sweatshirt... with a hood.
Paul, I still have this older Columbia jacket you can wear when you come to stay for Christmas.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 09:57 AM   #83
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Old man? I thought you were a young dandy.

Quote:
I don't have as much experience as you but did do two trips to Alaska decades before climate change and layering is really the only proper way to go about truly or real real cold weather.

However for a pretty stationary old man such as myself in the midwest where I'm not exposed so long layering not so much needed.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2019, 12:48 PM   #84
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
They're addictive I was also thinking of getting a second one, maybe just in a different colour.
They are indeed! Their apparel has wonderful attention to detail, simply top notch.
Old 11 October 2019, 01:48 PM   #85
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

My third one was the Forester. I figured since I had two with hoods it would be nice to have one without. Comes in handy for me anyway and now I have a Parka, a Bomber, and now the Forester.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 October 2019, 01:53 PM   #86
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Old man? I thought you were a young dandy.
I wish, but then again that would mean I wouldn't have had the benefit of enjoying the company of my grandson like I have this last week. So I guess even old age has some benefits.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 October 2019, 02:21 AM   #87
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My third one was the Forester. I figured since I had two with hoods it would be nice to have one without. Comes in handy for me anyway and now I have a Parka, a Bomber, and now the Forester.
Cool! How do you like the Forester compared to others?
Old 12 October 2019, 02:42 AM   #88
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cool! How do you like the Forester compared to others?
I do, and expected nothing less. As mentioned it's my third Canada Goose coat which some may see as over kill but as I said I have a Parka, a Bomber, and now the Forester without hood and for me they serve three different purposes.

It's not the one I would wear if the Hawk was blowing because a hood really comes in handy to block the wind, but it certainly works well when it's cold if that makes sense. If weather is cold but not extremely cold or a hood isn't necessary its the perfect coat.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 October 2019, 03:32 AM   #89
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I do, and expected nothing less. As mentioned it's my third Canada Goose coat which some may see as over kill but as I said I have a Parka, a Bomber, and now the Forester without hood and for me they serve three different purposes.

It's not the one I would wear if the Hawk was blowing because a hood really comes in handy to block the wind, but it certainly works well when it's cold if that makes sense. If weather is cold but not extremely cold or a hood isn't necessary its the perfect coat.
Only 3?

I have a damn closet full of Arc'teryx and am thinking of a long insulated winter parka to add to my already insane collection.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2019, 05:28 AM   #90
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post

“Please, you can have the watch, just don’t shoot me!”
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote