The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 October 2019, 04:16 PM   #61
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sounds nice Seth. I’ve done Maui, Kauai and Oahu but not the main island. I think Hawaii is special and worth the trip out there.

If I was to return and visit the main island I would be tempted to take a drive up Mauna Kea to the observatory.
Old 28 October 2019, 01:29 AM   #62
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Sounds nice Seth. I’ve done Maui, Kauai and Oahu but not the main island. I think Hawaii is special and worth the trip out there.

If I was to return and visit the main island I would be tempted to take a drive up Mauna Kea to the observatory.

The road up Mauna Kea is currently blocked due to protests.

Seth, I live on Maui, have lived on Oahu, and go to BI and Kauai regularly. I was just at the FS in Kona (always called Huala’lai as far as I can tell and rarely the FS). Great hotel, although I felt the beach was it the best for swimming.

If you have a hard time relaxing, Hawaii is going to ether be a struggle a revelation. There are a good amount of things to do on the Kona side, but it’s still a whole lot slower than many beach resort areas may be.

Many of the recommendations folks have given are fun, but very touristy. Many are essentially mandatory for ones first and maybe only trip to Hawaii, but they don’t really allow you to explore the actual feel of living here, which is more the way I like to travel.

I would say, do this.

1) learn how to pronounce some Hawaiian words. Nothing else will make you more popular with the locals. Besides, it’s fun to learn something new and it will make your brain, and tongue, think. Despite seeming intimidating, it’s actually pretty easy.

2) download and start listening to some local music. I’d say the best starts would be Israel Kamakawiwo’ole’s 2001 album, Alone in IZ World. I also would recommend Hapa’s 1995 self-titled album. If you’re more partial to current day styles, look into The Green or anything by Fiji.

3). Learn a little about Hawaiian history. This could be done by quick Wikipedia review. You don’t need to get deep into the weeds about the overthrow, but get a sense about the fate of the Hawaiian people, the importance of immigration, and what cultural/political/social issues are important now. Again, I like to learn about where I’m going.

4). Learn a little about the food. And not just spam. Hawaii is in the midst of a food renaissance. Lots of interesting stuff going on, plus we are at the mixing point for tons of asian cuisines some folks may not be familiar with. Lots of good stuff to try.

Have fun.

If you visit anywhere else, I’d recommend Honolulu. Much more of a city, more of those types of things to do. Good balance to the BI which is definitely country.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2019, 04:33 AM   #63
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Ahh bummer I was not aware. Come to think of it I recall hearing about that on the JRE podcast with Neil Degrasse Tyson. I can certainly see both sides of the argument.
Old 28 October 2019, 04:33 AM   #64
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Just went to Big Island back in January of this year, the weather is really nice then. We've done all of the islands multiple times, and Big Island is my 2nd favorite (Kauai is our mutual favorite). We stayed at the Waikoloa village Hilton King's Land because of our kiddo, and my wife prefers places with kitchens.

Both of our trips there have been about 7-8 days. A list of some of the great things to do:
- Mauna Kea Observatory. You will never see the night sky as black and full of stars as you will there. They do stargazing tours, definitely check it out.
- Drive the loop around the Island. It takes a day, but you can hit Hilo, the Volcano's National Park, and the black sand beach at Punalu'u all in one day.
- Green Sand Beach near Kalae. It's super unique, only green sand beach I've ever heard of.
- The Pololu and Waipi'o Valleys. They are on the north side, and you can access the Pololu by parking and walking down a fairly steep, but manageable trail. We hung out on the black sand beach there, but the water has a strong riptide, so be safe in the surf. Waipi'o Valley is a historical valley that you can only access with permission, but they have a beautiful lookout above it.
- While on the north side, hit up the little town of Hawi (pronounced Ha'vee). Great sushi at the Sushi Rock there, and it's just a quaint little coastal Hawaiian town. Getting drinks and eating sushi on their porch is very relaxing.
- If you play golf: Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani are the obvious choices (I prefer Mauna Lani...), but don't discount the Big Island Country Club and the Waikoloa King's Course.
- Speaking of Mauna Kea, if you want a nice beach, check out the beach at the end of the Mauna Kea parking lot. It's gorgeous, wasn't very busy, and has full facilities. Remember that every beach in Hawaii is a public beach, and even in places like the Four Seasons they have public parking for beach access.
- Speaking of the Four Seasons, the Beach Tree restaurant is a great place to grab a drink on the beach. Depending on when in January you go, they may be having a PGA event at the Hualalai Golf Course. We went this past year (it was on the 18th, my birthday; so around then).
- As far as food goes:
1) hit up the Kona Brewing Company, if you enjoy their beer. Little known fact is that most of their beer on the mainland is all made in Portland by the Widmer brewery, and anything in Hawaii of theirs in bottles is brought in from the mainland, too. Get their stuff on tap, they have some really good beers there, and the food is very good, too.
2) Tex Drive In, they have good Hawaiian food and burgers, plus Malasadas, a Portuguese filled donut. Very good, probably the best on the island. You can hit them on a day you drive around the island or go up to the Waipi'o Valley.
3) Sushi Rock in Hawi (already mentioned).
4) Island Lava Java in Kona. We eat there at least twice every time. They have good pizza.

That's our list of go-to places. It definitely won't take up 8 days worth of adventure, but you can easily find more stuff to do; and always find a good beach to lounge around on and relax. It sounds like that's something you haven't had, so I suggest taking the time to sit and watch the waves crash with a stiff drink in your hand. Enjoy!
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 03:19 PM   #65
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
We were just there.

Plenty to do in 8 days, actually you won’t be able to do everything if you plant to relax too.

Couple pictures, the manta ray dive was the highlight. PM if you want the name of the dive company that we chartered, they also offer snorkeling.

Rent a car and download the “Shaka guide” for awesome self guided tours. The app will take you to places most don’t know about, one was devils throat in volcano national park.

Kens was an awesome little breakfast joint on the Hilo side. When we were paying our bill I saw a bunch of pictures on the wall of “The Rock” eating there, apparently his nephew is the manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rushca01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2019, 03:36 PM   #66
Honza
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega MK40, Rolex
Big Island is amazing place to visit. From snorkeling, Volcano national park, Hilo, Kona all those places are amazing. I have been on the big island many times and its definitely nice island.

When you are looking for different recommendation, check out Yelp. It's very accurate.

Enjoy the trip
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2019, 01:19 PM   #67
sparky
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
If you like pineapple, be sure to find a Sugarloaf (white) pineapple. The best.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:34 PM   #68
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Just went to Big Island back in January of this year, the weather is really nice then. We've done all of the islands multiple times, and Big Island is my 2nd favorite (Kauai is our mutual favorite). We stayed at the Waikoloa village Hilton King's Land because of our kiddo, and my wife prefers places with kitchens.

Both of our trips there have been about 7-8 days. A list of some of the great things to do:
- Mauna Kea Observatory. You will never see the night sky as black and full of stars as you will there. They do stargazing tours, definitely check it out.
- Drive the loop around the Island. It takes a day, but you can hit Hilo, the Volcano's National Park, and the black sand beach at Punalu'u all in one day.
- Green Sand Beach near Kalae. It's super unique, only green sand beach I've ever heard of.
- The Pololu and Waipi'o Valleys. They are on the north side, and you can access the Pololu by parking and walking down a fairly steep, but manageable trail. We hung out on the black sand beach there, but the water has a strong riptide, so be safe in the surf. Waipi'o Valley is a historical valley that you can only access with permission, but they have a beautiful lookout above it.
- While on the north side, hit up the little town of Hawi (pronounced Ha'vee). Great sushi at the Sushi Rock there, and it's just a quaint little coastal Hawaiian town. Getting drinks and eating sushi on their porch is very relaxing.
- If you play golf: Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani are the obvious choices (I prefer Mauna Lani...), but don't discount the Big Island Country Club and the Waikoloa King's Course.
- Speaking of Mauna Kea, if you want a nice beach, check out the beach at the end of the Mauna Kea parking lot. It's gorgeous, wasn't very busy, and has full facilities. Remember that every beach in Hawaii is a public beach, and even in places like the Four Seasons they have public parking for beach access.
- Speaking of the Four Seasons, the Beach Tree restaurant is a great place to grab a drink on the beach. Depending on when in January you go, they may be having a PGA event at the Hualalai Golf Course. We went this past year (it was on the 18th, my birthday; so around then).
- As far as food goes:
1) hit up the Kona Brewing Company, if you enjoy their beer. Little known fact is that most of their beer on the mainland is all made in Portland by the Widmer brewery, and anything in Hawaii of theirs in bottles is brought in from the mainland, too. Get their stuff on tap, they have some really good beers there, and the food is very good, too.
2) Tex Drive In, they have good Hawaiian food and burgers, plus Malasadas, a Portuguese filled donut. Very good, probably the best on the island. You can hit them on a day you drive around the island or go up to the Waipi'o Valley.
3) Sushi Rock in Hawi (already mentioned).
4) Island Lava Java in Kona. We eat there at least twice every time. They have good pizza.

That's our list of go-to places. It definitely won't take up 8 days worth of adventure, but you can easily find more stuff to do; and always find a good beach to lounge around on and relax. It sounds like that's something you haven't had, so I suggest taking the time to sit and watch the waves crash with a stiff drink in your hand. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
We were just there.

Plenty to do in 8 days, actually you won’t be able to do everything if you plant to relax too.

Couple pictures, the manta ray dive was the highlight. PM if you want the name of the dive company that we chartered, they also offer snorkeling.

Rent a car and download the “Shaka guide” for awesome self guided tours. The app will take you to places most don’t know about, one was devils throat in volcano national park.

Kens was an awesome little breakfast joint on the Hilo side. When we were paying our bill I saw a bunch of pictures on the wall of “The Rock” eating there, apparently his nephew is the manager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the plane and ready to go.

This thread has been great for us. Thanks to those that contributed.

Very exciting!!

Pictures to follow.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:44 PM   #69
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Have a blast you two, and Happy 5th
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 09:52 PM   #70
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Have a blast you two, and Happy 5th
Thanks brother.

Old 20 January 2020, 10:04 PM   #71
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Happy Anniversary my friend!
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 10:15 PM   #72
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Mahalo Seth.
Enjoy your time!
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #73
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Utilize the “button” lol when you land on the FS beach you will understand. Happy Anniversary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 January 2020, 04:01 AM   #74
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
Jealous! We love the BI and FS Hualalai. Have a great trip and happy anniversary!

Nice pic Ballzzz :-). Thanks for the kind words up thread... and my wife says hello
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 01:50 AM   #75
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GfromMT View Post
Jealous! We love the BI and FS Hualalai. Have a great trip and happy anniversary!

Nice pic Ballzzz :-). Thanks for the kind words up thread... and my wife says hello
Thanks George tell the wife we say hi! Have a great weekend.
Old 26 January 2020, 06:46 AM   #76
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Looking good Seth! I Love watching others Enjoying Life!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 07:57 AM   #77
royerlich
"TRF" Member

8 days... wow. I have taken trips of almost 2 months and was fine with it. 8 days seems short for hawaii. But again i live in israel so its more difficult for me to get to hawaii. If ill go there it will be at least 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
royerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:59 AM   #78
Doc Savage
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I was on the Big Island about 15 years ago chasing a federal drug fugitive. Once in custody, I got to spend a few hours taking in some sights. Here I am on a recent lava flow. The 2nd photo shows my courteous chauffeur.

I'm sorry to say I didn't wear my Sub on this trip. I wore G-Shocks when operational back then.

Enjoy your trip!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hilo helo lava drop forum size.jpg (275.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Hilo helo on lava forum size.jpg (280.4 KB, 90 views)

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 02:50 PM   #79
Therolexboyz
Banned

Ive always wanted to go to Hawaii! If I ever go I’m going to bring two watches not one....
Therolexboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 10:21 AM   #80
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. I was on the Big Island about 15 years ago chasing a federal drug fugitive. Once in custody, I got to spend a few hours taking in some sights. Here I am on a recent lava flow. The 2nd photo shows my courteous chauffeur.

I'm sorry to say I didn't wear my Sub on this trip. I wore G-Shocks when operational back then.

Enjoy your trip!
This is fascinating. And a great ride for sightseeing! IMHO G-Shock is much more desirable when duty may call for wrestling an uncooperative bad guy to the ground.

We used to go sightseeing at the end of the day on work trips to the other islands. But our range was limited to how far we could drive and still come back to make our flight.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 10:30 AM   #81
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post

Enjoy your trip!
Gotta say Bill. You're not blending in too well with your attire there. GET SOME SHORTS.

I was there one year when Madeline Albright was there on the way back from some Asian mission and she had her security detail tagging around with her.

They went into the gift shop and bought a couple of black Hawaiian shirts with their black long pants and ear pieces hanging out and tried to blend in by the pool.

So she's there in a one piece swim suit and those two guys are standing behind her.

At least they made a effort.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 10:31 AM   #82
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Just got back into town. Then went a car club networking event.

What a wonderful trip. I’ll update the thread with details and pics soon. I’m toast. It’s a lot of travel.

Old 29 January 2020, 10:49 AM   #83
Therolexboyz
Banned

Looking forward to pics super dawg! Hawaii is a cool place. Im vacationing to Boise, Idaho but HI is a grail trip
Therolexboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 01:51 PM   #84
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Looking forward to pics. There is something truly special about the Hawaiian islands.