The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 December 2019, 10:31 AM   #1
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

London in April followed by Basel. Would you wear it?

I’m heading to London in April and directly to Baselworld. Hearing all the press about people being stabbed outside of stores in very popular areas for their watch is a little disheartening. I’ll most likely leave the Rolex at home which would suck because I’ll be at the largest jewellery convention on the planet just a week later.

Has anyone else decided to stop wearing luxury items in this city due to the recent issues?

Please note I’m not trying to offend anyone. Just curious about everyone’s perspective especially London locals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 10:43 AM   #2
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I wear my JLC in places where I am not too familiar (usually work trips). Either way both of my watches are insured so I don't fret too much about it regardless

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 10:51 AM   #3
jrox
"TRF" Member

Know your surroundings and have a common sense. Nobody is waving their credit card and shouting out pin number in public places for example.
jrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 10:53 AM   #4
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Wear it
Old 27 December 2019, 10:58 AM   #5
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I wore mine while traveling. Be aware of your surroundings and don’t be flashy. If you feel that you are uncomfortable doing that, then leave it home.

007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 11:09 AM   #6
1SG MTB
"TRF" Member

I moved to London from Houston in February and have worn nothing BUT Rolex every time I’m out and about. London is a major city, so situational awareness and common sense will serve you well. Also worth remembering you’ll likely be in long sleeves in April, so your watch may not even be noticeable.
1SG MTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 11:22 AM   #7
Fleegle
"TRF" Member

I wear mine all the time - on the Underground, when shopping, at the pub, strolling down the road, etc. No problems, ever, touch wood.

Avoid a sink estate at dark. Know your surroundings.

London is a safe place. Enjoy your visit.
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 11:23 AM   #8
Mr_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116710BLNR
I live in London and travel all over on a regular basis. It definently has a bad reputation and I beleive it happens a lot more than people actually hear. However saying that I wear my watches daily and I always make sure it’s not on show in the wrong places. Be weary of your surroundings and don’t go around showing your watch off. London is definently not the place you want to be doing that!

Mr_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 11:51 AM   #9
Aztro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Milgauss Z
Do some googling and you’ll see that with only a few exceptions crime is actually trending down in London (one high profile exception being violent knife crime, but there is little gun crime now in some compensation). By most measures it is still safer than most big US cities, and less safe than all Australian cities- make of that what you will.
Aztro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 12:00 PM   #10
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Full time Londoner - advice above is all you need.
London is a safe place considering there are 8m people living here. I wear my DaytonaC to and from work on public transport and SD4k on weekends.
Situational awareness is all you need - don’t flash around in public and you’ll be fine. As mentioned you’ll not be wearing short sleeves in April!
That story was just one case where the guy wanted to fight back for his £5k watch and paid with his life. Surely you have insurance and IF (in the extreme unlikely scenario that) you get accosted, just hand it over and that’ll be the end of it. No thief wants to be a murderer too!

LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 12:34 PM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My watches are insured so I wear them everywhere. I'm not the fearful type - maybe that is not a good thing - so I don't worry about theft etc. If someone mugs me they can have whatever they want.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 01:57 PM   #12
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Mine are insured. Maybe I’ll bring the 216570 vs the 126710BLRO for less flash and less of an issue if needed to be replace

Andrejb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 04:47 PM   #13
Fire bloke
Banned

I wear a wrist tennis band when in the big cities..
If it looks a bit dodgy I cover the watch up..
When I get to the nice part of town I take it off

Keeps it out of sight from the snatchers..also acts as a protective layer if you bump into a post..
Fire bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 04:49 PM   #14
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
I’m heading to London in April and directly to Baselworld. Hearing all the press about people being stabbed outside of stores in very popular areas for their watch is a little disheartening. I’ll most likely leave the Rolex at home which would suck because I’ll be at the largest jewellery convention on the planet just a week later.

Has anyone else decided to stop wearing luxury items in this city due to the recent issues?

Please note I’m not trying to offend anyone. Just curious about everyone’s perspective especially London locals

I’ve worn a Rolex every time I’ve visited London (Daytona, LVc, Pepsi, BLNR). I’ve never had a problem. I also live in a city currently and have never had a problem.

However as others said, just be cautious of your surroundings and don’t flash your watch about. (I’ve always got long sleeves in the UK anyway)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:06 PM   #15
glamorama
"TRF" Member

It’s not like you will get killed if you step outside with an expensive watch but if you do get robbed, do not play hero just hand it over.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:13 PM   #16
mstauqir
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t sweat it. Bought me a couple of watches from London and took train all around town. Got to be careful of your surrounding. That’s no different in US.
mstauqir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:20 PM   #17
nda
"TRF" Member

London is a safe city - I've worked in London all my life. But there are some places (places you won't visit as a tourist) like Hackney, Haringey, Tower Hamlets and Newham - where it would be unwise to show off an expensive watch or iPhone. Same is true in New York with areas like Vinegar Hill or Greenwood Heights.

Violent crime in London gets very high (and sensational) coverage in the press - which might lead some to believe the city is not safe. Which is untrue.

But as many commentators have already said - be aware of your surroundings and the fact that a $10,000 watch could be tempting to a thief. As it would in any city.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:32 PM   #18
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
April in London is a high of 15 degrees C ,so its still long sleeves and coats and umbrellas ...why do you ask ??
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:46 PM   #19
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega AT 150
I heard a lot of bad things about London in regards to rolexes. therefore I probably wouldn't feel confortable with wearing one there but Basel is definitely np. maybe you can take it with you for the trip and leave the Rolex in a safe place while in London and take it out again once you've arrived in Basel...
Henry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 05:49 PM   #20
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
It’s not like you will get killed if you step outside with an expensive watch.
it actually did happen in the uk already...
Old 27 December 2019, 05:51 PM   #21
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not like you will get killed if you step outside with an expensive watch but if you do get robbed, do not play hero just hand it over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
You left out the part where I said don’t resist. This is when you can get hurt which was the case I understood.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:38 PM   #22
Henry F.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You left out the part where I said don’t resist. This is when you can get hurt which was the case I understood.
Anyways, I wouldn't like to get involved in any sort of this kind of action over a watch...but again, it could kind of happen anywhere too. you never know. but it would be dumb inviting it at place where I know it has many problems in that regards...that's just my personal opinion.
Old 27 December 2019, 06:42 PM   #23
Topsyworld
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
I wear my JLC in places where I am not too familiar (usually work trips). Either way both of my watches are insured so I don't fret too much about it regardless
Outside the watch world no one knows what a JLC is and if they do, I’m not sure there the type to mug you.
Topsyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 06:47 PM   #24
Topsyworld
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry F. View Post
Unfortunately London has become a pretty violent city, I’m more uneasy there then New York. I was held at knife point in London and I wasn’t even wearing anything more then a pair of shorts a polo and a baseball cap and a citizen automatic. And I’m a big guy who spent 20 years in the infantry and I look the part and the attitude to match. If it can happen to me it can happen to you.
Topsyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:10 PM   #25
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Sorry, but I find some of this absurd. The chances of being caught up in a violent crime drop as you travel from New York to London.I lived there thirty years without experiencing any issues. There isn’t anywhere in the world without some crime.
In a city of eight million people, it’s striking how little crime there actually is. Assuming you don’t do foolish things....just enjoy yourself, have a good time. People don’t really care what watch you are wearing. In my experience, in any world city, thieves are far more interested in your wallet and credit cards.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:17 PM   #26
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
As someone who has was born in the UK and lived in London since 1991, I can say I have seen how London (and the UK as whole) has changed towards Rolex (and other well known premium watches).

Knife crime is on the up and it is a rare occasion nowadays to not hear of the latest stabbing overnight on the radio in the morning.

I admit, I am very low key and unassuming to look at, which is a choice I have made to blend in. I have the nice watches and the nice cars but I don't flash (flex) it around.

My health is worth more than that.

Is London a safe place to wear a nice watch, categorically "NO".

However, as others have said, if you are aware of your surroundings and be sensible about it, you should not have a problem wearing your Rolex in London, but none of us who give the advice can guarantee you wont get into trouble with it.

So my view is.... Why not just leave it at home and enjoy a stress free trip to Basel and London?

The choice and decision is ultimately..... Yours.
Old 27 December 2019, 07:24 PM   #27
Ihatecheese
Banned

Lol this post. I do understand its scary when people travel abroad with strangers who look and sound different, but seriously come on now guys.. (And always insure your items)

If you wear something ostentatious in an inappropriate area then obviously you will receive some unwanted attention. That reality transcends country borders.

I live and work in central London and have done for 15yrs besides a few yrs in Asia. None of my work network (finance, tech) or social groups (music) have had any bad experiences of recent memory. Mobile phones being stolen by cheeky kids on mopeds? Yes that happens. Everything can be stolen but statistically London really isn't that scary unless you're battling some other implicit fear.

Certainly on my tube in the morning and in west london parks the coined 15yo and tourists are wearing Pateks and APs. So I think most adults will be fine with the odd Rolex..
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 07:30 PM   #28
Nadi090
Banned

Watch: OysterPerpetual 39
London is a safe place but notwithstanding you need to be careful. But generally, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-A105F using Tapatalk
Nadi090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2019, 08:17 PM   #29
Burlington
"TRF" Member

London in April followed by Basel. Would you wear it?

If you don’t bring your watch then keep your phone and wallet out of sight too as they would equally make you a target.

Otherwise just relax and stay sensible on your travels wearing what you want.

99.9% of places you would be going as a tourist you will be fine, but there are for sure places I wouldn’t go with or without a watch at certain hours of the day as your presence simply increases the chance of something untoward occurring. Your common sense will by and large let you know when you’re straying too far off the beaten path. Same rules apply to all big cities.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 12:19 AM   #30
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If it is going to worry you, don't wear it, dont bring your phone, wife or anything looking remotely valuable, in fact, best dress as a beggar and live on the streets, but eat your food quickly before other beggars see it. Best stay in your own city where there must be no crime whatsoever.

TBH, I'm sick of these posts.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote