The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2019, 12:37 AM   #31
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrejb View Post
I’m heading to London in April and directly to Baselworld. Hearing all the press about people being stabbed outside of stores in very popular areas for their watch is a little disheartening. I’ll most likely leave the Rolex at home which would suck because I’ll be at the largest jewellery convention on the planet just a week later.

Has anyone else decided to stop wearing luxury items in this city due to the recent issues?

Please note I’m not trying to offend anyone. Just curious about everyone’s perspective especially London locals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why would you travel someplace where you do not feel safe? Please explain?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 12:40 AM   #32
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I was thinking similarly.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 12:52 AM   #33
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
You put that a lot better than I did.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 06:58 AM   #34
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Unsafe? No. Over cautious yes. Which I think is a wise approach when travelling anywhere in the world. It’s the people that feel 100% totally safe that have issues by stumbling into the wrong places unknowingly

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 07:13 AM   #35
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Unsafe? No. Over cautious yes. Which I think is a wise approach when travelling anywhere in the world. It’s the people that feel 100% totally safe that have issues by stumbling into the wrong places unknowingly

The issue is not whether or not you feel 100% safe, but whether you ought to change your behaviour - in this case not wear a watch - because of perceived risk.

That’s a personal decision: two rational people can weigh up the same situation and make completely different decisions, based on their personal attitude to risk. All good.

The problem is logical inconsistency: 1.25 million people were killed worldwide in RTA’s last year, yet I guarantee that barely a single person reading this, including you Andre, gave even a picosecond’s thought to the risk to their personal safety the last time they got into the car - bearing in mind the consequence of being dead-as-a-doornail is rather more severe, not to mention permanent, than getting your watch jacked.

Of course nobody has to wear a watch so if it’s going to worry you, leave it at home - as appears to be your decision.

As for the question, I’ve never had a problem despite living all but 10 of my 39 years in London, including in some genuinely dodgy bits that you’ll never see. Mind you if I’m getting pissed in town (rare these days) I’m wearing a G-Shock.
Old 28 December 2019, 07:15 AM   #36
nda
"TRF" Member

In the top 50 most dangerous cities in the world, London (or the UK) does not feature. The USA gets 5 cities and is the therefore (by this reckoning) the 4th most dangerous country in the world - behind Mexico, Brazil and Venezuela.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_murder_rate

London is in fact way behind cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Phoenix, San Diego, Dallas etc etc.

London is safe. But, at the risk of repetition, waving a Rolex around whilst wearing shorts and a baseball cap (i.e. you're a tourist) would not be the most wise course of action. Anywhere.

:)
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 08:22 AM   #37
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Hearing all the press about people being stabbed outside of stores in very popular areas for their watch is a little disheartening.
I think the incident you're referring to, was one incident outside Harrod's. I recently spent 3 weeks over there. Didn't feel threatened, ever. Lost count of all the Rolex wearing, super car drivers I saw. You won't be able to swing a dead cat without hitting someone wearing a Rolex, IWC, JLC, AP or some other expensive watch..
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2019, 09:42 AM   #38
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
London has gotten bad press in the last couple of years, and certainly awareness of luxury watches and thus the theft of them has been on the rise, but realistically you are still highly unlikely to be targeted unless you announce yourself as a target, so just use common sense and be aware and you can be like the other thousands of Londoners who walk around with luxury items all the time.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 07:20 AM   #39
Theurbancommando
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
London has gotten bad press in the last couple of years, and certainly awareness of luxury watches and thus the theft of them has been on the rise, but realistically you are still highly unlikely to be targeted unless you announce yourself as a target, so just use common sense and be aware and you can be like the other thousands of Londoners who walk around with luxury items all the time.
I agree with the above but my daughter who is a detective in the met police says watch theft is pretty prevalent street crime in London so maybe keeping them tucked up a sleeve out of sight is a wise move.
Theurbancommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 07:39 AM   #40
R G
Banned

Was born and grew up in South London. Now, just work there and commute every day, which is enough.

So. People talk about it being a city with 8 million people, so based on the amount of people who have been stabbed, it’s unlikely you’ll be a statistic.

What those people don’t consider, is that not all 8 million people are wearing an expensive luxury watch. That set of statistics then suddenly become very different as you will be more of a target.

I have stopped wearing my more expensive watches to work. The summer is the worst when I’m not wearing a blazer or jacket and my watch occasionally sits above my cuff. On a couple of occasions I have seen undesirables looking at my wrist. It’s enough to make me think about my wearing habits.

The likelihood is different for you. You are not here all the time, and providing you use your common sense - you’ll know when you’re not comfortable, then you should be fine.

The problem is this. London has a totally sh*t policing system, with an even worse judicial system. This means that perpetrators aren’t fearful of consequences.

Result; London 2019.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 07:42 AM   #41
R G
Banned

Quote:
That’s right. Just stay in the good ole US of A.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 10:19 AM   #42
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
If it is going to worry you, don't wear it, dont bring your phone, wife or anything looking remotely valuable, in fact, best dress as a beggar and live on the streets, but eat your food quickly before other beggars see it. Best stay in your own city where there must be no crime whatsoever.

TBH, I'm sick of these posts.
^^^^^^^ This is the best response to this thread and the rest of the moronic "Is it safe" shit.

My thoughts
Old 29 December 2019, 11:08 AM   #43
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
April in London is a high of 15 degrees C ,so its still long sleeves and coats and umbrellas ...why do you ask ??

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 11:54 AM   #44
DoubleJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16570
Wore my explorer 2 in London a couple years ago, without concern. Anytime I travel I keep situational awareness and insure the watch. Enjoy your trip!

DoubleJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 09:41 PM   #45
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Thread on UK watch forum earlier this month. Gang sized up the forum member in the Selfridges watch section and mugged him for his AP outside in daylight. Selfridges helped assist with the investigation and checked the CCTV and it appeared he was being followed. Roll on a week or so later and the same gang were spotted again in the store and most were arrested. Gratefully the victim was not hurt but it does make you feel wary about this kind of tactic and be on your guard.
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 11:37 PM   #46
Mr Naultilus
Banned

I wear all my watches around london, i just don't show them off
Mr Naultilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2019, 11:44 PM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You only ever hear about the bad incidents ...

If a city were really that dangerous that I can’t wear my Rolex, then I’m not likely to travel there with my most precious belongings (family) either. My guess is that there are literally thousands of Rolex wearers roaming the streets of London and other major tourist destinations around the globe.

As others say, be aware of your surroundings and enjoy your watch.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 12:20 PM   #48
Fleegle
"TRF" Member

OP, it would be a crying shame not to wear your watch in London, the birthplace of Rolex where Mr Wilsdorf started his watch company all those years ago in what is still one of the very safest major cities in the world.

And as for Basel, have you considered the possibility of being killed by boredom or an avalanche? Neither of these are risks in London.

Happy New Year
Fleegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 04:31 AM   #49
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Some of my best times have been in places I did not feel totally safe in.

OP, if wearing the watch will be causing you to worry rather than enjoy your trip don’t bring it or bring a spare to wear in London. It’s that simple.

I’m in London a couple of times a year and have worn my watches without a problem.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 12:04 PM   #50
Bullitt44
"TRF" Member

Wear long sleeves.
Bullitt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 03:39 AM   #51
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hearing all the press about people being stabbed outside of stores in very popular areas for their watch is a little disheartening.
People? Although not any less tragic, it was one person, killed after midnight. If it's not safe for your watch, why is it safe for you?
Old 21 January 2020, 06:37 PM   #52
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleegle View Post
OP, it would be a crying shame not to wear your watch in London, the birthplace of Rolex where Mr Wilsdorf started his watch company all those years ago in what is still one of the very safest major cities in the world.

And as for Basel, have you considered the possibility of being killed by boredom or an avalanche? Neither of these are risks in London.

Happy New Year
There's never been an avalanche in Basel. And as for 'being killed by boredom', Basel's numerous charms would very clearly be lost on someone with your ignorant prejudice.
Old 21 January 2020, 09:04 PM   #53
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
There's never been an avalanche in Basel. And as for 'being killed by boredom', Basel's numerous charms would very clearly be lost on someone with your ignorant prejudice.
Once you've got the hang of humour you'll find that jokes don't wind you up quite so much.
Old 22 January 2020, 01:48 AM   #54
GfromMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk
We didn't wear ours in Paris last winter... and regretted it. We did wear ours for a week straight a few weeks ago in London... and had no problems or concerns. Other times when I have been nervous in an area I just take it off and put it in my pocket. I would say wear it and just be careful... it's a bummer to leave something that you enjoy at home.
GfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2020, 06:36 PM   #55
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Once you've got the hang of humour you'll find that jokes don't wind you up quite so much.
Well, that was all pretty funny, for certain - thanks for the laughs!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=719325
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=665253
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=678447
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=627612

All swiftly slammed shut.

But this is probably the funniest, and most telling...

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=650701

Old 10 February 2020, 09:02 AM   #56
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Thought I’d resurrect this ad with a new incident of armed watch robbery in a common area in London. Seems to be popping up left and right lately

https://news.sky.com/story/mayfair-r...f4LTtEruqyIJBw
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote