The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2020, 11:28 PM   #31
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I just accept it for what it is and move on. No sadness or anything else. There are many watches available for purchase from Rolex or any other brand for that matter. The market is what it is and when I want something I look at the cost and decide if it is what I want. I get my best price and make the purchase and get on with my ownership.
I like your attitude!

To the OP's post. I think this thing with hollow, fake or whatever type of watches these display only watches are is to at least make an attempt to make the AD visit somewhat interesting. Albeit not a successful one. Going to an AD these days is a mixed experience ranging from frustrating to extremely boring at best.

We have no desire or reason to go into any of the Rolex stores in our area, it's boring to just to see the same DJs, Yachtmasters, gold DDs and mostly empty slots. My wife actually says as we stroll through the malls if you even think about it I'll kill you as we walk by the Rolex window. I'm sure we're not the only ones feeling this way. So traffic must be down in the stores, not that I think it matters since they are selling more product than ever.

But if they're putting them in the display cases you should at least be able to try them on if nothing else. Otherwise it's just another sharp stick in your eye type of thing.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:33 PM   #32
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Wow. I wonder how many times this scene will be repeated in ADs all across the world:

SA: Hello, sir. Is there something I can help you with?
Joe: Yes. That is a nice watch. May I try it on?
SA: Yes sir. That one is called a Daytona in stainless steel. Here you go.
Joe: I like it. What are you asking for it? I didn’t see a price tag.
SA: Oh, it’s not for sale, it’s just a show model. MSRP is over $13k but I cannot add you to a wait list.
Joe: Okay . . .
SA: But if you were to purchase this model we call a Yachtmaster II in yellow gold, I may be able to get you one this year.
Joe: No thanks. <takes watch off> How about these ones? <points to Omega display> Can I actually buy those?
SA: Yes sir, they are all for sale . . .
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:36 PM   #33
djgallo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzomn View Post
I think there are customers out there now who are in the market for a watch like that but the customer doesn't even think about Rolex anymore since they can't even get their hands on them. They are just simply not in the running. I know I've been looking into other brands. Instead of trying to source a Daytona I ended up with an IWC that I think is way more stunning than a Daytona withstanding PM models.
As you say there may be many frustrated customers leaving Rolex for other brands...but it isn’t making a dent YET....because Rolex is STILL selling, and they’re STILL hard to get.

If enough people follow your example...then maybe the Rolex models will become more available to the rest of us.....I’m not holding my breath...
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:38 PM   #34
GenevaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzomn View Post
I think there are customers out there now who are in the market for a watch like that but the customer doesn't even think about Rolex anymore since they can't even get their hands on them. They are just simply not in the running. I know I've been looking into other brands. Instead of trying to source a Daytona I ended up with an IWC that I think is way more stunning than a Daytona withstanding PM models.
I wonder if there has ever been a study on how much social media plays in this shortage. With humans in general wanting what they can't have and the runs on Rolex due to what is posted are there those that purchase just to have what someone else cannot just to say I have one, you don't, and that piece of jewellery is simply a trophy. I just seem to read consistently value retention and scarcity as being the sole reason for purchasing.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
GenevaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:39 PM   #35
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
More and more now, I am convinced that playing these stupid AD games to obtain hard to get pieces is not worth it. Most of the steel sports references, although very beautiful and robust watches, are mass produced and available all day long on the secondary market. If you really want something and are able to pay the market premium, Grey is looking like the way to go.
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:39 PM   #36
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
How eloquently you have out words in my mouth. But I’ll bite!

In this hypothetical scenario yes, some customers should be told ‘to pound sand’ if they are unhappy with the selection of one million products I produce and sell.

If, as a private enterprise I am quite satisfied with my production volume, variety and sales figures, I do not need unsolicited advice on how I can improve upon by business.
Well I’m glad you’re in a position where you can run a company and be selective as to who you feel like servicing and who you don’t or more importantly how your attitude is with any particular customer on any particular day. That is a very successful business. Congrats. For now my customers pay my mortgage and feed my family and I will kiss their butts until I retire. I am incredibly grateful for them. A true blessing to have the customer base I have. I value them. When my company is short on product and it does happen sometimes because manufacturing can work that way I address my clients with empathy and urgency. In other words I go out of my way to correct my companies mistake and take care of them. If I ever find myself in a place where I am so successful that I lack empathy for my clients I hope I fail. That’s how I feel about it.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:41 PM   #37
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Rolex Boutique here has almost all models available for clients to try on. They are real not dummies. They are not for sale though.
Makes you wonder what the point is though...............it almost feels like their current Rolex 'strategy' is about to take or has already taken yet another 'leap' away from the majority of people?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:43 PM   #38
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Sad to see you hope less people own Rolex. Who do you mean?
There is a reason this is high-end luxury jewelry.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:49 PM   #39
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
Sad my ass......With people waiting years for their "call", I don't think Rolex is sad at all.....They're ecstatic!!

To add, it's not sad for anyone NOT looking for Steel either.....Every Rolex store I walk into there are watches that are available for sale, for both men and women. Now, they may not be your desired selection, but they are there.

To stay on top they have to keep you wanting more! Like Jerry Seinfeld quitting while at the top!

New guy perspective.....
WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:49 PM   #40
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I agree it’s high end jewelry. Of course that’s blasphemy around here.

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 January 2020, 11:53 PM   #41
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Rolex Boutique here has almost all models available for clients to try on. They are real not dummies. They are not for sale though.
Oh they’re for sale, they’re just extremely selective when and to whom it’s sold. But a few PMs like a Day Date and I bet their stock increases 3 fold
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:53 PM   #42
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Well I’m glad you’re in a position where you can run a company and be selective as to who you feel like servicing and who you don’t or more importantly how your attitude is with any particular customer on any particular day. That is a very successful business. Congrats. For now my customers pay my mortgage and feed my family and I will kiss their butts until I retire. I am incredibly grateful for them. A true blessing to have the customer base I have. I value them. When my company is short on product and it does happen sometimes because manufacturing can work that way I address my clients with empathy and urgency. In other words I go out of my way to correct my companies mistake and take care of them. If I ever find myself in a place where I am so successful that I lack empathy for my clients I hope I fail. That’s how I feel about it.
I am drawing no parallels between Rolex’s market position and my own.

I explicitly stated it was hypothetical. But if we both scale up our real world businesses to the size of Rolex and you still personally apologise to every individual that complains that your selection is not to their taste, then I wilfully admit you are the better human, because I simply wouldn’t care. Not everyone will like me or my product. We all have different tastes, budgets and expectations. My goal is not to make everyone on the planet a customer, that’s unrealistic. That’s how I feel about it
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 11:57 PM   #43
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I am drawing no parallels between Rolex’s market position and my own.

I explicitly stated it was hypothetical. But if we both scale up our real world businesses to the size of Rolex and you still personally apologise to every individual that complains that your selection is not to their taste, then I wilfully admit you are the better human
Thank you. I make it a personal mission of mine that when one of my clients is unhappy with what my company has done I make it up to them in such a way that in the end they are glad my company screwed up because it worked out to their benefit.

They say Money makes the world go round but I don’t believe that. It’s customers that make the world go round they just use money.

Instagram - patton250
Old 20 January 2020, 11:59 PM   #44
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
I agree it’s high end jewelry. Of course that’s blasphemy around here.

Agreed, hence the reason it should be scarce.

New members seeking to learn should do so.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:03 AM   #45
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Rolex high-end luxury jewelry? They’re trying their hardest to be that but I just don’t see it. Patek, ALS, Richard Mille I would say yes. Rolex has always been and still is mass produced luxury (nothing wrong with being such) which is why I think the lack of availability is so frustrating to many. Especially with the soup de jour Dufouring of the Rolex line just like Zenith. A YM 37, 40, 42 screams El Primero and its endless variations. Rolex has always been about quality, robust watches at reasonable to market prices that should last a lifetime.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:09 AM   #46
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Rolex high-end luxury jewelry? They’re trying their hardest to be that but I just don’t see it. Patek, ALS, Richard Mille I would say yes. Rolex has always been and still is mass produced luxury (nothing wrong with being such) which is why I think the lack of availability is so frustrating to many. Especially with the soup de jour Dufouring of the Rolex line just like Zenith. A YM 37, 40, 42 screams El Primero and its endless variations. Rolex has always been about quality, robust watches at reasonable to market prices that should last a lifetime.
My friend a watch that cost $10,000 puts itself out of the reach of the vast majority of potential clients. Most jewelry people buy doesn’t cost anywhere near $10,000. And 10K is the entry level for Rolex watches. In my opinion it’s very much high end jewelry. Definitely robust and will last a lifetime but very high end.

Instagram - patton250
Old 21 January 2020, 12:09 AM   #47
Rosex
"TRF" Member

I am not a big fish at all and have had no problem getting all the watches I want at retail with not much wait time, then again I am very good looking and charismatic.
Rosex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:10 AM   #48
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
To argue that a mechanical wristwatch watch a starting price of roughly $5000 is not high end luxury for the majority of people is entirely wrong. Mass produced or otherwise. (Incidentally the brands you outline as true high end luxury produce tens of thousands of watches per year. That’s mass production too, albeit less than Rolex).

Rolex are not withholding supply of bottled water, cancer medication or mosquito nets. They sell watches that objectively speaking perform their primary duty to a lower standard than the cheapest quartz watch. This will forever categorise it as a luxury product. ‘High end’ as a moniker comes down to an individual’s wallet is.

It seems like I am splitting hairs here, but it’s important to remember that this forum is not an accurate representation of society at large.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:14 AM   #49
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
but this clock-teasing is out of order.

Just chocked on my coffee, lmao. Thanks Neil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:18 AM   #50
GenevaFan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
I am not a big fish at all and have had no problem getting all the watches I want at retail with not much wait time, then again I am very good looking and charismatic.
Post a picture of your current collection. Set one watch at 1100 with todays date.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
GenevaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:20 AM   #51
Johngalt1
Banned

This isn’t anything new - it was reported here perhaps a year ago or so. Rolex has sent display pieces (that Rolex, not the AD, owns) to certain stores so people can see and try on models that otherwise aren’t there. They are real, working pieces that are not for sale.
Johngalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:26 AM   #52
Throttle
"TRF" Member

Hi there, seems like you guys dont know what really goes on behind.
It has nothing to do with Rolex.
Once the watches are distributed to ADs, Rolex cant do much when ADs go around policies set.

Despite the policies getting stricter every few years, there is always a go around.

The prices are being rigged or speculated upwards by grey market dealers.
If you are the AD and the retail is $12k, why would you not find a way to sell at $15k which grey dealers are offering?

�� have a good one fellas
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:30 AM   #53
Throttle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosex View Post
Can you help me get justa Batgirl and a Pepsi on Jub?
I will pay you $500 more then retail per piece?

Not that i like either watch, but i was thinking of flipping each for just $2k more.
Can you help pleasee i can tell you are handsome and charismatic right away
Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:32 AM   #54
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Personally, I don’t see a problem in the world with having one of every reference available, in the case, display or demo only for people to try on and take for a “test drive”. It’s not like this is a new concept, whatsoever. Having said that, having them there to just look at - and stay in the case is dumb. It actually makes sense - and would solve the horrific empty case issues all over the world. Especially in the Boutiques. I mean. When I walk into a ROLEX boutique, and can’t see the Rolex watch I might be interested in - even just to “play” with it. What does that say....

Truth is - Business is business, and even if something is FOR SALE - that doesn’t mean someone HAS to sell it to you!!!! As of late it’s been better than (probably) ever for Rolex - and most of the ADs out there in terms of overall sales. It has “re-polished” the brand, the name and restored some of the exclusivity that it to a large degree deserves. I (agree with and) think this might be the new normal— and while a marginal increase in production might provide a little more inventory, I just don’t see much of the hype and demand going away, not anytime soon.

Now, regarding the Submariner and some other let’s say, “cornerstone” references once we see what happens with Basel (I.e. if the Submariner DOES in fact get the new movement, that will somewhat validate the lack of those references, and they will start showing up again at ADs. (And many of those could be had through ADs over the past year with minimal wait) Now, the true hot ones....will always remain difficult to acquire. Period. There’s just no way around it, ADs don’t get enough inventory of the hot references to make everyone happy.

[Some] Watches are hard to get, it (sadly) is what it is. There’s no reason to get upset, or angry about. It’s certainly not going to get it on anyone’s wrist any quicker. Bottom line, is people just like to complain, it’s human nature. If I saw someone showing their a** in an AD about something like that - I’d shake my head and walk out.

The people getting the watches will continue to get them (if they want them) based on friendships and rapport - and there’s a wait for them as well. It’s not about how much money people have, or can throw around...as some ADs make this advantageous [I have a suspicion that will end soon as well] but...there will always be an outlet for that approach....and it’s is the grey market.
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:33 AM   #55
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
My AD does a good business with jewelry, diamonds and other gemstones. Watches are less of the revenue and now that Rolex supply is limited he has taken to selling pre-owned and the prices pretty much match the greys'. I think he is looking at getting another brand as he can't sell what he can't get. Rolex has to OK his doing this or he risks losing AD status. Seems unfair.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:35 AM   #56
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What I really meant was with his attitude and he started Microsoft it would’ve never made it out of the 80s. But then you knew that.

Sad to see you hope less people own Rolex. Who do you mean? The little people? Or were you just being sarcastic to him?
Yeah, I found that part also a bit weird. Can't tell if it was sarcasm.
Arcticsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:41 AM   #57
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I just accept it for what it is and move on. No sadness or anything else. There are many watches available for purchase from Rolex or any other brand for that matter. The market is what it is and when I want something I look at the cost and decide if it is what I want. I get my best price and make the purchase and get on with my ownership.
I agree. I have all the references I want and I am happily enjoying my purchases. Life goes on. I have moved on to aspiring a different brand but I like my Rolex watches just as much as they day I got em.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:00 AM   #58
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Well, I guess now you can see the watches you want before they tell you, you can't have it.
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:07 AM   #59
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Rolex can easily fill the demand.. But they fear saturation.. a SS daytona is only rare because rolex makes it that way. Simple marketing really. They are more focused on long term and will continue to be. They have closed down more points of sale than ever. They have tight control over the remaining AD's. Just the way it is.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:09 AM   #60
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Having a real example or an accurately weighted dummy to try on would be a big help.

Being able to buy what I wanted, or order one for delivery would be nice too. But there's always the grey dealer down the street if you're really desperate.

I wish my business was as successful as Rolex. They have nothing to reproach themselves for. The behaviour of some ADs is another matter. Not to mention the behaviour of some of their AD's customers. But it's not like we're talking about clean water or oxygen.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote