The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 November 2011, 09:31 PM   #1
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Calling on AP aficionados. Again....

Hey All. I have asked for some help on an AP matter in the past here: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...=187094&page=2

Well this is related to that same situation. I decided to sell the other two watches I owned and now I just have the Rolex Sub-C. Obviously, I still want the AP ROO Diver! Now, I am not an expert on AP and I am just wondering about the longevity of their models. I need to save for a bit to get the AP. I am willing to save for a year or two if need be to get a new one (which I prefer). How long do you guys see the Diver being around? I can't help this feeling I have that I did this backwards. Maybe I should have gotten the AP Diver then saved back up for the Sub. We all know the Sub will be around for at least 15-20 years unchanged! So...did I do it backwards or do you think the Diver will be around and available new for years to come?? I know no one can tell me for sure, I'm just looking for the opinion of those who have been following AP for longer than I have. Thanks!
Old 12 November 2011, 09:37 PM   #2
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Russ I'm pretty sure that the Diver will be around quite some time from now.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2011, 09:38 PM   #3
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
Russ I'm pretty sure that the Diver will be around quite some time from now.
So I shouldn't sell the Sub, buy the Diver then re-buy the Sub???
Old 12 November 2011, 09:49 PM   #4
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
So I shouldn't sell the Sub, buy the Diver then re-buy the Sub???
Well Russ, Would you wear the ROO as your daily driver why not.
I wear my AP's on a daily basis but when I get home and play around with my son I stap on my beater Sub.

The Submariner will definitive be around for many years since it was newly upgraded.

AP Owners Club
Old 12 November 2011, 09:56 PM   #5
tifosi
"TRF" Member

I would wear it as a daily driver, yes. I would not only wear it on special occasions or anything.

I just know my luck, haha. It'll be 2 years from now, the AP diver will discontinued and I'll have to shell out $50,000 for a NOS one sitting in some collector's safe! I know that is a bit extreme, just making a point. I know the RO design and line has been around for quite some time and I was just hoping that the Diver isn't just a "special edition" or something.
Old 13 November 2011, 01:52 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
If you'd wear it that much, I'd sell the Sub and get the Diver. The Sub will be available when you want it again. AP makes far fewer Divers than Rolex makes Subs.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 02:26 AM   #7
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
AP makes far fewer Divers than Rolex makes Subs.
Good point!
I will be in the city (near an AD) today with the fiancee looking at possible wedding venues. I will try to sneak in and put the Diver on and see how badly I NEED it.

I guess price increases shouldn't come into play here? If I wait to buy the AP, I'm sure the price will increase. If I sell the Sub to get the AP now, I'm sure the price of the Sub will go up in that time too. I'm not really going to gain anything either way. I would just secure the AP, knowing that the Sub won't be an issue no matter how far in the future I end up re-buying. Am I seeing this correctly?
Old 13 November 2011, 02:47 AM   #8
NEW
"TRF" Member

Watch: MANY
I just picked up the DIVER 2 months back and I will say it a different level and feeling with the DIVER vs a ROLEX sports model. I see a lot of women wearing the ROLEX mens sports model and I just do not like wearing the same watch a lot of women are now wearing.
Old 13 November 2011, 03:05 AM   #9
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

I believed both will be available as a regular model for a long long period to go (I see no reasons why either company will discontinue them as they are selling like hot cakes right now). Anyhow, it depends on your collection, if you are going to get the AP as your one and only watch, not recommended. But if you sacrificed your Sub and still got few other watches to play around on your current collection (not necessary a Rolex), GO FOR IT! AP is truly a different league.
Old 13 November 2011, 03:06 AM   #10
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW View Post
I just picked up the DIVER 2 months back and I will say it a different level and feeling with the DIVER vs a ROLEX sports model. I see a lot of women wearing the ROLEX mens sports model and I just do not like wearing the same watch a lot of women are now wearing.
Another new AP owner! What are you waiting now?
Old 13 November 2011, 03:35 AM   #11
emagni
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
From a collecting stand-point this is tough since you only have one Rolex and the Sub-c is a great watch to have if it I was to own only one Rolex watch. On the other hand, once you try the AP diver and if you appreciate details and fantastic craftmenship, then not having an AP now can be unbearable. If you dont lose much on the Sub-c on the trade or resell to get the AP, I personnally would do it. WAIT!!.....I traded three watches plus cash to get a brand new AP ROOC panda and I don't regret one minute of it.

Like you, I was going back and forth of whether take action or not but my collection was getting too large and convoluted. Everything was Rolex and Panerai and having a similar distinctive shape like the oyster or oversize crown guard, wearing them became a matter of which metal or dial. To tell you the truth, I was beginning to get bored.

Then came the AP ROOC Panda (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...16#post2864316) and I can tell you this, I can't get it off my wrist. I have watches that are more expensive from a MSRP standpoint and this watch is glued to my wrist. Is it a feeling of having a new watch that everyone adore??....nope, I didn't get that feeling when I obtained a brand new black face SS Daytona back in 2008. I sure as hell didn't get the same feeling when I purchase any other watch for that matter.

I don't know the feeling of owning a Lamborghini, but damn, this has to be the closest feeling to it.
Old 13 November 2011, 04:59 AM   #12
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Let's put it this way, the next AP price increase will be more than the next Rolex increase. If you can get a good price on your SubC, you would spend less money getting the Diver now and Sub in the future.
Old 13 November 2011, 05:00 AM   #13
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

PS: if I were you, I'd seriously consider waiting for a used Diver to show up and get it then.
Old 13 November 2011, 05:28 AM   #14
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let's put it this way, the next AP price increase will be more than the next Rolex increase. If you can get a good price on your SubC, you would spend less money getting the Diver now and Sub in the future.
X2

Quote:
PS: if I were you, I'd seriously consider waiting for a used Diver to show up and get it then.
Or get it new from one of the trusted sellers here on TRF

AP Owners Club
Old 13 November 2011, 06:18 AM   #15
NEW
"TRF" Member

Watch: MANY
I think the DIVER msrp increase something like $3,500.00 with in 12 months. I believe it will be priced over $23,000.00 in two years. My .02
Old 13 November 2011, 06:47 AM   #16
emagni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW View Post
I think the DIVER msrp increase something like $3,500.00 with in 12 months. I believe it will be priced over $23,000.00 in two years. My .02
Ouch
Old 13 November 2011, 12:18 PM   #17
tifosi
"TRF" Member

$23000???? Seriously????
Old 13 November 2011, 12:21 PM   #18
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickson Lim View Post
I believed both will be available as a regular model for a long long period to go (I see no reasons why either company will discontinue them as they are selling like hot cakes right now). Anyhow, it depends on your collection, if you are going to get the AP as your one and only watch, not recommended. But if you sacrificed your Sub and still got few other watches to play around on your current collection (not necessary a Rolex), GO FOR IT! AP is truly a different league.
I only have one watch right now. The SubC. I want both and they will be my only 2 watches. So either way my collection will only consist of the AP and the SubC. It just depends on what I have or get first.
Old 13 November 2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It is a darn difficult task to find a used Diver right now. Everyone seems to love them.
Old 13 November 2011, 03:17 PM   #20
Dickson Lim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I only have one watch right now. The SubC. I want both and they will be my only 2 watches. So either way my collection will only consist of the AP and the SubC. It just depends on what I have or get first.
I don't know exactly the price increase for AP, but I am sure that if both of them increase by 20%.... The price increase will be significant more for AP, just check whether your SubC can go for a good price or not.
Old 14 November 2011, 12:49 AM   #21
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought about the used option. Maybe in a year or two there may be more coming up for sale. Right know I haven't seen any used.
Old 14 November 2011, 01:40 AM   #22
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

They pop up on the various boards now and then. It's been out for a while now so we should be seeing more of them. I just saw one sell last week for about $13.5k on TZ.
Old 14 November 2011, 02:09 AM   #23
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought about the used option. Maybe in a year or two there may be more coming up for sale. Right know I haven't seen any used.
I'll shoot you pm if i see one on the boards

AP Owners Club
Old 14 November 2011, 04:55 AM   #24
eagle_lex
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
right now the Diver is the only watch that excites me that is still obtainable for me. i would just keep your rollie and save while you keep an eye on the preowned market. just like anything else... when the hot factor cools off... you will be able to find a great preowned one for a fair price. thats my plan anyway. i guess it also depends on how BAD you have to have it now. i tried one on in vegas and its sweet.
eagle_lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2011, 05:16 AM   #25
emagni
"TRF" Member

DavidSW has a new one if your itch is bad: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...light=audemars
Old 14 November 2011, 05:17 AM   #26
TSW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emagni View Post
DavidSW has a new one if your itch is bad: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...light=audemars
Can't go wrong with David

AP Owners Club
Old 14 November 2011, 08:03 AM   #27
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_lex View Post
right now the Diver is the only watch that excites me that is still obtainable for me. i would just keep your rollie and save while you keep an eye on the preowned market. just like anything else... when the hot factor cools off... you will be able to find a great preowned one for a fair price. thats my plan anyway. i guess it also depends on how BAD you have to have it now. i tried one on in vegas and its sweet.
The only problem Ed is that the Diver shows no signs of cooling off and many fans are waiting for used examples.
Old 14 November 2011, 08:04 AM   #28
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsw View Post
can't go wrong with david
x2
Old 14 November 2011, 08:17 AM   #29
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
x2
x3. I have bought from David in the past.
Old 14 November 2011, 08:28 AM   #30
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Charles posted one 3 hrs ago on TZ.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=5915220&rid=0