The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 22 April 2020, 07:52 AM   #121
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Wow.
I wish I could get these last 10 minutes of my life back.

Somebody needs to pray for the serenity to accept the things he cannot change.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:24 AM   #122
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I’m sorta glad Rolex policies have actually stopped people like you getting the watches so that there is a chance for others to get one. Yes you point out they are still selling to flippers and hopefully using their same process they stop selling to them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 09:36 AM   #123
Just1More
"TRF" Member

Can you give a hint or location generality of the AD, please?
Old 22 April 2020, 10:03 AM   #124
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Quote:
Originally Posted by venron View Post
Can you give a hint or location generality of the AD, please?
Sorry I will not for libel reasons
This wasnt meant to be an AD bashing

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
Old 22 April 2020, 10:46 AM   #125
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
So 2 years ago, I was told by a certain AD here in Canada that I was put on the waiting list for a pepsi gmt by a salesperson that I had built some rep with.
Yesterday I emailed the AD and told them my story
The salesperson that answered me told me they never had a waiting list.
LIE # 1
I told the person that I had bought 4 other rolexes there over the years, and after 2 years was wondering if there was any chance of finally getting a pepsi, as I really want one for myself.
The salesperson asked me if I can prove that I still own any of the rolexes I had bought.
I answered him saying that no, when I get bored of them I sell them for something different.
I also said in a joking manner that I had looked online and there are hundreds listed there at ridiculous prices, so I thought that is what is normally is happening anyways, and that I didnt really feel like paying thousands more.
After that, no response....
LETDOWN # 1

Slowly I am getting very perturbed.
When I see all the bnib ones here and every other forum, just sitting there listed for thousands more, and I cant get one because of that.
This happens to be one that I really want for myself.
Now before everybody jumps on me saying “well you’re a flipper arent you, serves you right!
Let me make this statement and rebuttal:
I have to prove that I am not a flipper? What difference does that make, when probably 70% of the hot models get flipped anyways?!?
I mean look here, Pepsis, hulks, daytonas, batmans, daytonas rootbeers daytonas
One after the other bnib
Where did they all come from?! FROM FLIPPERS!
People that got them from AD’s and sell them for profit!
Now, I dont blame them, I blame Rolex, for making the new rules 3 years ago to only sell to supposed non-flippers.
What happened? It only enabled them.
The famous economist milton friedman had the correct view:
As in the narcotics industry, as soon as you try to control and limit the supply, it only ends up enabling the illegal underground dealings, and only the large cartels become successful and survive, and drives up price and demand.
This happened during prohibition in the 30’s, after which the government finally said “well that didnt go too well, i guess we will stop controlling that”
This is what has happened to rolex. Their plan has backfired.
You're upset you can't flip this watch too? Not sure what the point of this thread is.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 11:04 AM   #126
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I think there is only one way for OP to defend himself properly and shut up all the haters and doubters.

Full disclosure.

For the 4 watches that was bought and sold, give us
Purchase and sell dates
Purchase and sell price
Models

How do you get 100 references from selling watches. He must have sold at least 100.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=730770
Old 22 April 2020, 11:09 AM   #127
Soondooboo
"TRF" Member

I don't know if I'm supposed to shame the OP or hate the AD at this point.
Old 22 April 2020, 11:18 AM   #128
5Stack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I feel like this is Raffi Jewellers. They always play these games.
Old 22 April 2020, 11:47 AM   #129
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
And more nastiness.
Amazing how some people keep kicking a person that has already been knocked down...
Even from my own countrymen
It has already been established that I am a dick and a horrible person

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
Old 22 April 2020, 11:49 AM   #130
Maverick_1908
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Again not reading correctly
That was 4-5 years ago things have changed
Didnt sell at a loss, made ok
When I said I sold them lower than anybody else it was because of the low value of our canadian dollar.
Please guys dont make assumptions from not reading thoroughly

I understand you. You sold a few watches back in the day before the hype.

But you have to understand the AD as well. They only sell blro’s to their best customers or straight to the grey dealers.

Old 22 April 2020, 12:03 PM   #131
aw9nineteen
"TRF" Member

Wellllll I’ll chime in. Let me first say that I purchased a PM from them already years ago. I almost sent her the receipt and appraisal as a reminder. Absolutely no respect for past customers.

Old 22 April 2020, 12:30 PM   #132
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
This thread has delivered!
Agreed

You can't write fiction this good
Old 22 April 2020, 01:10 PM   #133
snowvapor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv
were you expecting... sympathy?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 22 April 2020, 01:31 PM   #134
Tommy Smokeshow
"TRF" Member

holyyyyy craap this thread is still going on! i love it its better then watching reality tv! LOL
Old 22 April 2020, 01:43 PM   #135
corvax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Stack View Post
I feel like this is Raffi Jewellers. They always play these games.
Was thinking of the same thing. Bought my first Rolex from them in 2013 and the brothers were nice. Success has gone to their heads. Now the staff are equally as bad if not worse than the brothers. Can't get a straight answer, timeline or allocation.
Old 22 April 2020, 04:32 PM   #136
Ihatecheese
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Smokeshow View Post
holyyyyy craap this thread is still going on! i love it its better then watching reality tv! LOL
I love people getting angry over this stuff. Then arguing that someone else's perspective is wrong ☺️
Old 22 April 2020, 05:17 PM   #137
Theoffice
"TRF" Member

Watch: Chnr, hulk, sub d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexkidd View Post
This entire thread is an all encompassing example of "Free Market Capitalism" on full display. I don't have a dog in the hunt but have noticed violations of common decency on both sides of this thread. No ill wishes on the OP at all but my antenna always wiggles when I hear people make claims about a manufacturer and the "corporate strategies" they are ostensibly deploying on the public. The example here being limitations of production of certain models or the like. Truth is, we will never empirically know especially with a company as closed off and secretive as Rolex. I for one don't truly believe that Rolex gives two cat turds about market manipulation, but I could be wrong. What I do believe is the Grey's are going to get caught with inventories that are going to stagnate. We are far from seeing a turn around in the general economy as the repairs always take far longer than the initial damage took. That stands true with just about anything. Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Economies, Trust, Auto Accidents and on and on and on.

I don't have any problem when flippers or market speculators make a buck......It typically just won't include me. On the flip-side (pun intended) they need to be ready to weather the storm when cash becomes king.......and that day is coming, always does. So, OP be patient, you will get your Pepsi GMT and it will likely by for less than MSRP, new with stickers and all. Don't let the keyboard warriors here dampen your spirits or make you regret sharing your feelings. There's always someone that'll jump your $hit no matter what you write.

Keep dreaming buddy,
Below msrp? Lol
Go back to your bunker and continue to prep , I hear toilet paper is on sale,
Your know it all attitude about the day always coming is hilarious when in fact you really know knowing and have no facts,
Old 22 April 2020, 05:53 PM   #138
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
And more nastiness.
Amazing how some people keep kicking a person that has already been knocked down...
Even from my own countrymen
It has already been established that I am a dick and a horrible person[/QUOTE]

I accept your apology Andy.

Now will you stop flipping?

Old 22 April 2020, 05:55 PM   #139
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Not sure anyone was going to do any “AD bashing”
Old 22 April 2020, 07:38 PM   #140
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's only libel if it's not true.

So, name the AD or withdraw your OP.
Old 22 April 2020, 08:31 PM   #141
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia
My AD in Canada has had the franchise pulled from his store after 40 some years with Rolex!

Rolex told him that they wanted to ‘constrain and centralise’ their agents to keep better track on what was selling and what was not.

Not only that, but the owner of my AD was also a Rolex approved service agent — so it seems odd that they should pull out of his store — especially with his sales increasing over the last few years.

Needless to say he’s very disappointed and doesn’t really understand what politics are going on behind the scene.

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 22 April 2020, 08:33 PM   #142
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hi Steve,

How’s the new job going.

Eddie.

Old 22 April 2020, 08:57 PM   #143
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Ah a unicorn, very nice Wayne good for you!

So a funny thought regarding flippers,
A lot of people do that with cars and women right?
Always trading up for a better model LOL!
OK for you but I can assure you that the Women and Watches I traded! back then ALL were better and should have been kept!! Oh the benefit of hindsight!!!

Does the OP/Flipper not think the AD was only ever going to look after his current Greys anyway!!!

and I don't think there is any such buyer who sells to Grey (in any sensible numbers that warrant issue) only that the AD just sells to Grey and Grey to market. simple.

Most entertaining lockdown laugh out loud read....subscribed!!
Old 22 April 2020, 09:45 PM   #144
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I'll admit I only read the first page and the last page. But is the gist of the thread the following?:

"I used to buy from this AD and flip the watches because my real business wasn't doing well and I needed to make money. But now I just want to buy a hot watch because I actually want to own it and wear it, but the AD won't sell it to me because I've sold everything else they sold me."

lol If so, best of luck getting others to side with you, no matter how many times you say the same thing.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:51 PM   #145
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Don’t feed the troll.
Old 22 April 2020, 11:10 PM   #146
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So 2 years ago, I was told by a certain AD here in Canada that I was put on the waiting list for a pepsi gmt by a salesperson that I had built some rep with.
Yesterday I emailed the AD and told them my story
The salesperson that answered me told me they never had a waiting list.
LIE # 1
I told the person that I had bought 4 other rolexes there over the years, and after 2 years was wondering if there was any chance of finally getting a pepsi, as I really want one for myself.
The salesperson asked me if I can prove that I still own any of the rolexes I had bought.
I answered him saying that no, when I get bored of them I sell them for something different.
I also said in a joking manner that I had looked online and there are hundreds listed there at ridiculous prices, so I thought that is what is normally is happening anyways, and that I didnt really feel like paying thousands more.
After that, no response....
LETDOWN # 1

Slowly I am getting very perturbed.
When I see all the bnib ones here and every other forum, just sitting there listed for thousands more, and I cant get one because of that.
This happens to be one that I really want for myself.
Now before everybody jumps on me saying “well you’re a flipper arent you, serves you right!
Let me make this statement and rebuttal:
I have to prove that I am not a flipper? What difference does that make, when probably 70% of the hot models get flipped anyways?!?
I mean look here, Pepsis, hulks, daytonas, batmans, daytonas rootbeers daytonas
One after the other bnib
Where did they all come from?! FROM FLIPPERS!
People that got them from AD’s and sell them for profit!
Now, I dont blame them, I blame Rolex, for making the new rules 3 years ago to only sell to supposed non-flippers.
What happened? It only enabled them.
The famous economist milton friedman had the correct view:
As in the narcotics industry, as soon as you try to control and limit the supply, it only ends up enabling the illegal underground dealings, and only the large cartels become successful and survive, and drives up price and demand.
This happened during prohibition in the 30’s, after which the government finally said “well that didnt go too well, i guess we will stop controlling that”
This is what has happened to rolex. Their plan has backfired.

Over the years you’ve sold rolexes for a premium. So now it’s your turn to pay a premium on the Pepsi, if you want it so bad. Doesn’t seem that wrong to me.

Old 22 April 2020, 11:42 PM   #147
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I'll admit I only read the first page and the last page. But is the gist of the thread the following?:

"I used to buy from this AD and flip the watches because my real business wasn't doing well and I needed to make money. But now I just want to buy a hot watch because I actually want to own it and wear it, but the AD won't sell it to me because I've sold everything else they sold me."

lol If so, best of luck getting others to side with you, no matter how many times you say the same thing.
That and the fact he won't go grey due to the inflated prices. Inflated prices that sellers like him helped to create. Though, perhaps not him in particular. I've never seen his ads, or the prices he was asking. Assuming they were well above MSRP to account for fees/tax and to make some money.

If I was in this position, I would figure out, what are the attributes of this watch that make me want it so much and try to figure out another model/brand that meets that criteria. If it turns out I want this model because of scarcity, branding and hype, those are feelings that will never be satisfied. Those feelings are fed by constantly chasing the next piece. I've been there and it took years to kill them.
Old 23 April 2020, 12:29 AM   #148
rolexkidd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexkidd View Post
This entire thread is an all encompassing example of "Free Market Capitalism" on full display. I don't have a dog in the hunt but have noticed violations of common decency on both sides of this thread. No ill wishes on the OP at all but my antenna always wiggles when I hear people make claims about a manufacturer and the "corporate strategies" they are ostensibly deploying on the public. The example here being limitations of production of certain models or the like. Truth is, we will never empirically know especially with a company as closed off and secretive as Rolex. I for one don't truly believe that Rolex gives two cat turds about market manipulation, but I could be wrong. What I do believe is the Grey's are going to get caught with inventories that are going to stagnate. We are far from seeing a turn around in the general economy as the repairs always take far longer than the initial damage took. That stands true with just about anything. Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Economies, Trust, Auto Accidents and on and on and on.

I don't have any problem when flippers or market speculators make a buck......It typically just won't include me. On the flip-side (pun intended) they need to be ready to weather the storm when cash becomes king.......and that day is coming, always does. So, OP be patient, you will get your Pepsi GMT and it will likely by for less than MSRP, new with stickers and all. Don't let the keyboard warriors here dampen your spirits or make you regret sharing your feelings. There's always someone that'll jump your $hit no matter what you write.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoffice View Post
Keep dreaming buddy,
Below msrp? Lol
Go back to your bunker and continue to prep , I hear toilet paper is on sale,
Your know it all attitude about the day always coming is hilarious when in fact you really know knowing and have no facts,
As tempting as it is to engage you in a one-on-one debate of economics and market movements, I’ll refrain. Your post takes on the appearance of a troll so I will not venture too far into this but I will make a few points.

Point 1: I do not believe I have dreamed up this global pandemic. Seems far more real than anyone could have predicted. Unprecedented is the word that come to mind.
Point 2: I am sorry to disappoint you but I don’t live in a bunker nor am I a dooms-dayer. Your toilet paper comment is cute but it is both unoriginal and stale.
Point 3: It’s always amusing when someone tries to imply that the person on the other side of the argument was stating facts when they made a point of stating is was primarily opinion. It shows reading comprehension might be lacking.
Point 4: What we are witnessing is a global economic shutdown. It is something we have never seen. Not for a single day has this ever happened and we are now heading into multiple months with the end extremely hard to predict. So, yes facts to back my opinions are limited but history tells us that businesses that run on “inventory turnover” require cash flow and lots of it. When the flow stops, the business dries up. Some will drop prices before others but the longer this goes on the further upstream this will impact. Rolex watches are a luxury item. There’s no two ways about it. If this pandemic lasts for 6 months or longer you can rest assured the prices will drop. Heck there’s already evidence they are dropping. Will they return to the days of being able to buy SS models from the AD at a discount without a wait? Time will tell. I sure hope not because that means we have melted down globally far worse than anyone could have predicted. Take a look at oil prices. The oil business is the underpinnings of our entire world economy. When you start pulling on the thread, the whole thing could unravel and luxury goods are the first things to go. So, is it a stretch to think this may last 6 months or more? You tell me, as you seem to have your opinions and I'd be curious what they are based on. Vaccinations typically take a year or longer and that's assuming this virus doesn’t mutate. So it is my very non-expert opinion that we could be in for a really rough go and history has shown that luxury items are not only hit, but hit hard all the way to their origins. Let's check back in year from now and see what the prices have done.
It is my prediction that prices will come way down and there will be far fewer players in the middle of this market exchange. Without "cash" for inventory they have no business. Please DO NOT mistake me for hoping this happens as I DO NOT. As I said previously this would mean things have fallen jelly side down.
Old 23 April 2020, 12:54 AM   #149
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
I didn't sell any of my hot pieces either still own all of them. You sold all of the watches you purchased from them in the past 4 years. I wouldn't sell to you either
Old 23 April 2020, 01:00 AM   #150
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
lol so many angry replies on here.

Let’s calm down everyone, OP is just venting and sharing his experience and frustration.
Closed Thread